• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021

_toommm_

Established Member
The rebrand to TS Classic has happened, either today or yesterday. It's a small update on Steam, and if you restart Steam, it'll show on Steam as TS Classic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
A free update? What's been done please? I'm not near my Windows computer at the moment.

Yep it will have installed when it updated to TS Classic:

• Adding Hamburg Süd and Hapag Lloyd containers and new freight consists
• Added missing Freight Liner cranes near Birmingham and Yellow one at Willesden
• Removed extra TSS Grid at WM488 and moved links at the same signal.
• Platform Fixes and General fixes to Coventry, Milton Keynes and Birmingham New Street Stations
• Removed Extra routes in Avanti 221 preloads (London Brighton, South London & Thameslink, and other routes not appropriate)
• Updated Textures of Warehouse Brick 03
• Replaced all road textures with those used in Cross City
• Fixed Mixing Viaduct Textures
• Reduced texture size of ONE Freight containers
• Fixed Missing sections on Strainer Gantry OLE.
• Fixed DRA being on by Default in Class 350 (so it's off by default)
• Localisation updates and fixes to all core languages (including Manuals)

_toommm_

Established Member
Yep it will have installed when it updated to TS Classic:

• Adding Hamburg Süd and Hapag Lloyd containers and new freight consists
• Added missing Freight Liner cranes near Birmingham and Yellow one at Willesden
• Removed extra TSS Grid at WM488 and moved links at the same signal.
• Platform Fixes and General fixes to Coventry, Milton Keynes and Birmingham New Street Stations
• Removed Extra routes in Avanti 221 preloads (London Brighton, South London & Thameslink, and other routes not appropriate)
• Updated Textures of Warehouse Brick 03
• Replaced all road textures with those used in Cross City
• Fixed Mixing Viaduct Textures
• Reduced texture size of ONE Freight containers
• Fixed Missing sections on Strainer Gantry OLE.
• Fixed DRA being on by Default in Class 350 (so it's off by default)
• Localisation updates and fixes to all core languages (including Manuals)

Thanks for the reply :) just wish WCMLS was a better performer!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Last edited:

Silver Cobra

A new route has been released today, featuring the Midland Main Line between Nottingham and Lincoln Central:

Along with this, many Train Simulator Classic addons are currently on discount as part of the Steam Summer Sale. A good opportunity to pick up addons you may be missing for low prices.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
A new route has been released today, featuring the Midland Main Line between Nottingham and Lincoln Central:

Along with this, many Train Simulator Classic addons are currently on discount as part of the Steam Summer Sale. A good opportunity to pick up addons you may be missing for low prices.

New to Steam yes, but this route has been out for a while on the JT website. I’d absolutely recommend purchasing JT stuff from their website directly.

Silver Cobra

New to Steam yes, but this route has been out for a while on the JT website. I’d absolutely recommend purchasing JT stuff from their website directly.
Yeah, I wasn't aware it's been around for a while outside of Steam. I'll be sure to check out JT's website in future like you advise.

_toommm_

Established Member
Yeah, I wasn't aware it's been around for a while outside of Steam. I'll be sure to check out JT's website in future like you advise.

If you see any route with the default FGW 166/HST in a screenshot, it's often a re-release, as that's the default stock that comes with the Euro Loco Asset Pack that 99.9% of players will have. The above route is also a standalone version, and won't let you connect the other parts of the MML network, including the ucoming JT Hope Valley route. To anyone new reading this, make sure you buy off the Just Trains website, and don't select the standalone versions so that you can create the MML network as one route, as opposed to having four or five seperate routes.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
If you see any route with the default FGW 166/HST in a screenshot, it's often a re-release, as that's the default stock that comes with the Euro Loco Asset Pack that 99.9% of players will have. The above route is also a standalone version, and won't let you connect the other parts of the MML network, including the ucoming JT Hope Valley route. To anyone new reading this, make sure you buy off the Just Trains website, and don't select the standalone versions so that you can create the MML network as one route, as opposed to having four or five seperate routes.

Really good advice, particularly with the next extension (Hope Valley which will connect Manchester and Sheffield) not too far off.

Silver Cobra

That's very interesting to know, thank you for that advice. I do have several parts of the MML on my wishlist on Steam right now (I'm planning to get them in the future after spending on WCML, Scottish and Chatham routes yesterday), and after playing with the merged ECML from ATS, the idea of a merged MML is very enticing. So I'll forego getting them on Steam and get them directly from JT when the time comes.

HS2isgood

Should I buy WCML South or ECML South (I don't particularly care about the German route coming with WCML south and Tehachapi is a freight route so I may try and run some Amtrak's but idc much)? I'm definitely gonna buy the ultra-cheap WCML North and GWML too.

Silver Cobra

Should I buy WCML South or ECML South (I don't particularly care about the German route coming with WCML south and Tehachapi is a freight route so I may try and run some Amtrak's but idc much)? I'm definitely gonna buy the ultra-cheap WCML North and GWML too.
I would suggest WCML South, but for a bit of a weird reason. If you want ECML South and don't have any of the following routes already:
  • GEML London Liverpool Street to Ipswich
  • Chatham Main Line & Medway Valley Lines
  • Portsmouth Direct Line London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour
  • Settle to Carlisle
...the best option for getting ECML South would be to purchase the Great British Railway Journeys game:

Although this is it's own separate game, it does add all five of these routes to Train Simulator Classic as well. Right now GBRJ isn't part of the Steam sale, so it's still the full price of £24.99. Hence for now I would suggest waiting for this to go on sale and get WCML South in the mean time. Still, even at £24.99, it's a pretty good deal for five routes for TS Classic.

SJA_914

Yeah, I'll wait for GBRJ to go on sale, it went the last two sales. I'll buy WCML South, WCML North and GWML.
The DTG WCML South is heaps of fun. IIRC you can access Mitre Bridge Junction on it if you want to use/create scenarios for the Southern MK/Hemel/Watford - Clapham/Croydon scenarios of past and present.

The freeware one from ATS includes the Bakerloo + Northampton Loop and is lovely, but does have some dated scenery, unless that has been updated since V5.2. That is also a top route if you have the reqs.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Good to see a bit of the LIRR appearing soon, though I may wait until the sales, £24.99 for the main bit to Hicksville and a short branch line to Hempstead does seem a touch pricey. TSC routes tend to be longer than their TSW relatives.

Lots of good stuff on the way including a payware, extended version of the Cross Country route. The updated GEML has been in progress for 7 months and is hopefully close, the Stadler Flirt pack (also coming soon from ATS) looks impressive. Just hope that fella working on the 1st version of the Aventras 345/710/720 isn't far behind.

Looking forward to Just Train's Hope Valley too. It's incredible that such a beautiful route hasn't been available in TS in the 15 years since the games' launch.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Good to see a bit of the LIRR appearing soon, though I may wait until the sales, £24.99 for the main bit to Hicksville and a short branch line to Hempstead does seem a touch pricey. TSC routes tend to be longer than their TSW relatives.

Lots of good stuff on the way including a payware, extended version of the Cross Country route. The updated GEML has been in progress for 7 months and is hopefully close, the Stadler Flirt pack (also coming soon from ATS) looks impressive. Just hope that fella working on the 1st version of the Aventras 345/710/720 isn't far behind.

Looking forward to Just Train's Hope Valley too. It's incredible that such a beautiful route hasn't been available in TS in the 15 years since the games' launch.

Also looking forward to the MPV by Goldstar Trains, and Crewe to Manchester by ATS.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Lets hope AP releases an EP for the 323 soon, as they are one of the most common trains on that route. I assume Manchester Airport will also be included?

Yep the airport will be included from what I’ve heard Alan T say on his streams.

Also pretty sure I heard Richard from AP confirm a 323 EP “within the year” when he did an Alan T stream in December 2021.

SJA_914

Lots of good stuff on the way including a payware, extended version of the Cross Country route.
This does interest me. Not that the other bits don't. I assume if this is going to be payware, the requirements list will be a little more condensed? I don't have some of the routes that feed into the current XC route, and am not really interested in procuring them.

But an enhanced version of the XC route itself would provide another brilliant intercity link, and I do like venturing out of London sometimes :D

voyagerdude220

Established Member
This does interest me. Not that the other bits don't. I assume if this is going to be payware, the requirements list will be a little more condensed? I don't have some of the routes that feed into the current XC route, and am not really interested in procuring them.

But an enhanced version of the XC route itself would provide another brilliant intercity link, and I do like venturing out of London sometimes :D
I definitely would be interested in buying some Cross Country Routes for Train Simulator.

What are the best websites for me to go on for add ons?

SJA_914

I definitely would be interested in buying some Cross Country Routes for Train Simulator.

I believe the specific route in question is the Birmingham-Bristol route. There is a donation-ware version available called "XC route extended" https://xcroute.com/extended/ (although you don't have to donate). But it has quite a long list of requirements - and from what I gather is a little outdated.

Going forwards we might want to keep an eye on Alan Thomson Sim for this sort of a thing. They're keen on filling in gaps.

Crosscountry routes are harder to define as obviously they run on sections of track used by other operators. But tallying what is available in Train Simulator with the following map may help you when identifying routes on Steam, Just Trains, ATS, etc:

_toommm_

Established Member

The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Just Trains Western Mainlines, ATS Leeds Lines, DPSimulation North East England V1 AND V2, ECML York to Peterborough, Edinburgh to Glasgow, Fife Circle, WCML North, ECML Edinburgh to Newcastle, CrossCountry route from Birmingham to Bristol, JT MML Sheffield to Derby/Nottingham/Leicester.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Many thanks to you both for your replies.

I have an interest in the Birmingham to Bristol route so I would be very happy to be able to get it on Train Simulator. I seem to remember coming across the add on online but not being able to get it because I don't own the majority of the required add ons for it to work.