• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Hot on the heels of Train Sim World 2, it was announced a few days ago that Train Simulator 2021 will come out this Thursday (17th).

The three included routes are the Scotland's Fife Circle (Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy with a ScotRail Class 68), Germany's Norddeutsche-Bahn (Kiel to Lübeck with a DB BR 648), and the USA's Clinchfield Railroad (Elkhorn City to St. Paul with an EMD F7).

Additionally, the Deluxe Edition will include a brand-new UK route - WCML South (London to Birmingham New Street with an Avanti Pendolino, although a Voyager is also shown in screenshots).

Source: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-simulator/articles/article/ts2021-announced

Train Simulator 2021 is coming to Steam 17th September with new Steam Workshop functionality and our brand-new route West Coast Main Line South: London Euston – Birmingham in the Deluxe Edition!
Train Simulator 2021 puts you in control of iconic loco’s such as the BR Class 68, DB BR 648, EMD F7 as you deliver passengers and freight to their destinations with a packed timetable of real-world services and scenarios across incredible locations in Norddeutsche-Bahn, Clinchfield Railroad and Fife Circle Line. The Deluxe Edition of Train Simulator will also include our brand-new route, West Coast Main Line South: London Euston – Birmingham which features Avanti for the first time in Train Simulator with their BR Class 390 Pendolino in Avanti West Coast Livery!
Also, with Train Simulator 2021 we have introduced an improved Steam Workshop which will provide easy access to thousands of community creations. Expand on your routes and locos by selecting user created scenarios on Steam Workshop without ever leaving Train Simulator!
Find out more about the three routes featured in Train Simulator 2021, and the additional West Coast Mainline South that comes with the Deluxe Edition...
20200904113342_1.jpg

West Coast Main Line South: London Euston - Birmingham
In the Train Simulator 2021 Deluxe Edition you can experience the pinnacle of high-speed travel in the UK and bustling commuter services with West Coast Main Line South featuring the BR Class 390 in Avanti West Coast livery! This 113-mile point to point route goes from London Euston to Birmingham New Street and en route you will be travelling through multiple commuter towns and typical English countryside. There are many key landmarks along the line including the skylines of both London and Birmingham, making for a very iconic and recognisable journey.
nd-bahn-1.jpg

Norddeutsche-Bahn
In Train Simulator, the 80 km Kiel-Lübeck railway will allow you to experience Schleswig-Holstein at its scenic best, aboard hard-working traction such as the DB BR 648 DMU and DB BR 218 diesel locomotive, taking passengers across stunning vistas and through the heart of forested plains.
The earliest sections of the line were opened in 1866, in an effort to link communities of Holstein with the Baltic ports, however rails wouldn’t reach Lübeck until 1873, after the founding of the German Empire.
Once fully opened, the railway was operated by multiple companies, primarily transporting passengers who were visiting the stunning locations of the region. By the 1930s, journey times across the route averaged in at 150 minutes, with the D-Zug express getting that down to 95. Today, regional services can traverse the line in a little over an hour.
Clinchfield-1.jpg

Clinchfield Railroad
The Train Simulator Clinchfield Railroad route extends from the railroad’s northern terminus and connection with the C&O at Elkhorn City, Kentucky approximately 41 miles to St. Paul, Virginia, where the CRR connected with the Norfolk & Western. Along with Elkhorn City yard, the route includes the busy and important Dante, Virginia yard and engine terminal complex which served as the key point of CRR’s coal operations, the 5-mile Haysi branch, the massive McClure mine complex, various on-line mines and loading tipples, and stunning and classic CRR locations such as the “Breaks of the Big Sandy”.
As an engineer, you’ll take the throttle of classic first- and second-generation Clinchfield Electro-Motive diesels to battle heavy tonnage and twisting grades of up to 1.5 percent. Motive power featured with the route includes the venerable EMD GP7 and F7, the workhorse EMD SD40, and the versatile EMD GP38, all in authentic CRR liveries.
Fife-3.jpg

Fife Circle Line
The Fife Circle Line is formed of two principle routes, the Edinburgh - Aberdeen Line and the Loop Line, with connections at Inverkeithing and Kirkcaldy allowing for trains to run point-to-point services both starting and terminating at Edinburgh. Services on the route used to be 2 separate local services, but they were joined after a link at Dunfermline was reopened in 1989.
With the completion of the circle, enhancements to the line soon followed. New stations were built to give communities back their rail services and to increase connectivity to Edinburgh Airport, and in more recent years, ScotRail boosted capacity in the peak hours with the introduction of loco-hauled trains, powered by the modern BR Class 68s.
The highlight of any Fife Circle train is the opportunity to cross the striking and instantly recognisable Forth Rail Bridge, which spans 1.5 miles and carries the railway high over the Firth of Forth.
Train Simulator 2021 is arriving on Steam 17th September. Keep an eye on our channels for more on the new Steam Workshop functionality and West Coast Main Line South: London Euston - Birmingham.
https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-simulator-2021-announced.26875/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnMcL7

There's a little typo in your post, it's a 68 rather than a 67 on the Fife circle and I'm quite keen to have a go with 68007.

Iskra

Established Member
It’s an interesting set of routes and it’s good to see WCML South come to the game.

...but, I’ve personally moved on now to the TSW series so can’t justify purchasing anymore legacy TS stuff really.

JohnMcL7

It’s an interesting set of routes and it’s good to see WCML South come to the game.

...but, I’ve personally moved on now to the TSW series so can’t justify purchasing anymore legacy TS stuff really.

I'm generally the same but would really like the idea of the Scotrail 68. I've never really looked, are the two systems completely separate or has TSW content been based on previous TS packages?

Iskra

Established Member
I'm generally the same but would really like the idea of the Scotrail 68. I've never really looked, are the two systems completely separate or has TSW content been based on previous TS packages?

You can buy the Scotrail 68 as a standalone DLC. It's a very good 68, plus there is the Armstrong Powerhouse EP if you want to take it a step further.

They are entirely separate games now.

Just about the only thing I would buy on TS20XX now is if someone made a top quality class 47 add on.

As gamers we're in a bit of a strange place now, where TS20XX is quite outdated and a little buggy for me to spend money on, but TSW doesn't have enough DLC or flexibility to really spend hours playing it yet for me personally (it is getting better however). I'm in a kind of no man's land between the two.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I think I'll stick to TS for now, as it doesn't sound like widespread user created content will ever be much of a thing for TSW?

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Sorry if already answered but:

I'm interested in the Birmingham to London route add on which will be released tomorrow. Has anything been said about the cost of it? Am I right to think that the paid for version will run independently- i.e. without the need to have other routes?

Will it also include the line via Northampton?

Thanks in advance.

Peter C

Established Member
Sorry if already answered but:

I'm interested in the Birmingham to London route add on which will be released tomorrow. Has anything been said about the cost of it? Am I right to think that the paid for version will run independently- i.e. without the need to have other routes?

Will it also include the line via Northampton?

Thanks in advance.
The version made by DTG will be a standalone route in the fact that it won't require any other routes to work.
There is a freeware version of the route out now but that’s not the same one and does require other routes to work.
As for Northampton, I can't say :)

Hope this helps,

-Peter

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I was about to reply but Peter has beaten me to it! The price has not yet been revealed. Someone has asked on the official Dovetail Games forum about Northampton, so it may be worth keeping an eye on that post (Click here).

Stock confirmed is: 66 Freightliner (Powerhaul), 221 Avanti, 350 London Midland, 378 London Overground, 377 Southern and 390 Avanti

JonathanP

As gamers we're in a bit of a strange place now, where TS20XX is quite outdated and a little buggy for me to spend money on, but TSW doesn't have enough DLC or flexibility to really spend hours playing it yet for me personally (it is getting better however). I'm in a kind of no man's land between the two.

Of course everyone can and should use whatever is best for them, but just to give you the other side of the story, TSW has some insoluble problems which mean that, at least as far I can see, the majority of 'serious' simmers and the content creators will not be switching.

The routes so far released are quite short(around 30 minutes end to end at Intercity speeds) and the underlying technology apparently makes it infeasible to build longer ones.

There are no publically available tools for build new vehicles and routes for TSW and no plans to make them available.
Thus, although a few are working directly with DTG on DTG-approved projects, 3rd party content creators are almost universally continuing to produce content only for TS, and freeware is not possible at all.

There is currently no support for steam locomotives and no plans to add it.

Given that DTG themselves are continually creating new content for TS, and making further updates to the game itself, I would also add that at least from their point of view it is not a "legacy" product. Reading between the lines it seems that the developement process for TSW turned out to be a lot more difficult than anticpated, and so TSW has been refocused from "TS replacement" to something that can capture the console market and casual gamers, whilst TS remains as the more flexible and open platform for PC-based enthusiasts.

Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
When I first bought train simulator I bought the rail works 2013 edition , since then I have built the routes and train collections via DTG , JT , Armstrong Powerhouse and other 3rd party sites if I bought TS 2021 how does it work would I have to reinstall everything ? Does it all automatically transfer to TS 2021 ?

Iskra

Established Member
When I first bought train simulator I bought the rail works 2013 edition , since then I have built the routes and train collections via DTG , JT , Armstrong Powerhouse and other 3rd party sites if I bought TS 2021 how does it work would I have to reinstall everything ? Does it all automatically transfer to TS 2021 ?
It just upgrades it really and you get the additional routes. Assuming you bought it via Steam?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
6pm is the usual release time.

Darandio

Established Member
Their website is still stating that the add ons are "coming soon," with today's date- any ideas what time they will be released?

Historically it's around 6pm.

I bought railworks 2013 from Game registered it installed steam and all the content is now on steam

You will automatically update to the TS2021 core software. If you buy TS2021 it will install all the included routes that you don't currently own.

I think a bunch of new scenarios for the WCML route is going to keep me busy for the foreseeable future!

dave87016

Established Member
Historically it's around 6pm.

You will automatically update to the TS2021 core software. If you buy TS2021 it will install all the included routes that you don't currently own.

I think a bunch of new scenarios for the WCML route is going to keep me busy for the foreseeable future!

So probably best to buy the routes individually and let Railworks update automatically to TS2021 as it usually does ?

Darandio

Established Member
So probably best to buy the routes individually and let Railworks update automatically to TS2021 as it usually does ?

Depends which routes you want. If you don't own any of those that will be included then it's far cheaper to buy TS2021 rather than individually.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
That's what I'll be doing, as I already have the Fife Circle and am not interested in the German or US routes. The core software updates free, and then just buy the WCML. That's assuming the WCML comes out straight away though - I don't know if they might wait a while in the hope people rush to buy the Deluxe version, and only release the cheaper option of route as a standalone product at a later date? I think I read somewhere that's what they did with the Southampton to Bournemouth route, but I wasn't a Train Simulator user at that time to know for certain. I'm sure someone else can confirm?

Established Member
I have also built up from a early TS edition and last year I got TS2020 for the South West Mainline route and I never had to reinstall anything. My AP 175 has gone funny recently with the exhaust smoke so I might have to reinstall that one.

I will be interesting to hear what people think of the WCML south as I downloaded the freeware version recently.

dave87016

Established Member
Thanks to everyone for your replies to my questions they are most helpful i recently had problems with JT West Cornwall route as no track displayed and it was like yellow and black flags

So I had to uninstall everything and am in the process of reinstalling everything so once I’ve done that TS2021 should download automatically , the only route I want at moment is the London - Birmingham so I might just buy that individually and get the Fife circle on the next sale

Flange Squeal

Established Member
All now available on Steam.

Free if you’re an existing user and just want the update to TS2021 base simulator software.

£24.99 if you want the three base routes/stock

£39.99 if you want the three base routes/stock AND new West Coast Mainline route/stock.

£24.99 if you just want the West Coast Mainline route/stock and none of the others.

Darandio

Established Member
I've added a new 'WCML Collection' to my site with scenarios for the new route.

Peter C

Established Member
All now available on Steam.

Free if you’re an existing user and just want the update to TS2021 base simulator software.

£24.99 if you want the three base routes/stock

£39.99 if you want the three base routes/stock AND new West Coast Mainline route/stock.

£24.99 if you just want the West Coast Mainline route/stock and none of the others.
£39.99 for the Deluxe Edition? It was said on the livestream last night IIRC that it would be £5 extra but I'll take your word for it. I need to have a proper look at it really, but I suppose that's still a good deal.

-Peter

EDIT: Although, if you've seen the livestream of the route (
) and this post on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/IC_HST/status/1306680763727982593 said:
Safe to say I'm very disappointed with WCML South, it's soooo un-optimised and laggy all round, I would avoid buying it if I was you. Very disappointed DTG.
The WCML route doesn't seem to be all that good. Can anyone confirm if it's any good or if people should leave it for now until people can improve it?

Last edited:

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Here's a screenshot from the main TS2021 page on Steam, showing the regular and 'Deluxe' bundle options.

Just about to give it a whirl - I'll let you know how it lags on my set up.

wcmlsouth1.jpg

365 Networker

Unfortunately, WCML South is yet another disappointment. The frame rates are appalling, Euston looks like something from a freeware route from 2010 and the textures are awful. The worst example is Lea Hall - the seating area is completely black and the over bridge has a huge gap where textures should be. Clearly the route has been rushed. Currently, this route is nowhere near worth £25. I hope that DTG sorts these problems, as it could be an excellent route.

Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
The Euston - Birmingham route seems to have got mixed reviews I considered buying the deluxe edition mainly for the 2 UK routes included but I think I will wait till there is a Christmas or new year sale before purchasing and hope some of the bugs are fixed