• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train spotting in stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomJ1189

I have started to train spot at Newcastle Central, but most of the time the ticket barriers are closed. I cannot afford to pay £1.50 every other day just to get into a station. Would I be able to get through for free if I just told the station staff that I was not getting on a train, and simply just train spotting?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I have started to train spot at Newcastle Central, but most of the time the ticket barriers are closed. I cannot afford to pay £1.50 every other day just to get into a station. Would I be able to get through for free if I just told the station staff that I was not getting on a train, and simply just train spotting?
Ask and they will let you on platform. Many people do it each day.

LowLevel

Established Member
Ask politely and I'm sure you'll be fine provided you don't make a nuisance of yourself and never board a train. If they do say no you'll have to live with it though.

HSP 2

As it sound like the OP maybe going back to the station it could be an idea to follow the following. An extract from guidance for enthusiast, from the national rail enquires web site.

"Before you enter the platform​

At major stations please ask any station staff to inform the Duty Station Manager of your presence. This will ensure that station staff are aware that you are on the station and they can go about their duties without concern as to your reasons for being there.

At smaller stations you should ensure that you advise a member of the station staff of your activities.

You may require a platform ticket to allow access to platforms."

One of my mates will go and see the duty manager (station manager) himself to explain what he is wanting to do. Sometimes he will be issued with a photo "pass card" for use on the station. About the only thing that he has to do is let them know what time he will be leaving the station.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.