• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paully617

Hi Snape, I'm in the talent pool too and I got this email, i may be wrong but i think the reference to the OPC is a typo, I'm not certain but i think the 5 year validity is in line with the majority of other TOCs so this is what this sentence was meant to say. Could be wrong mind you.
From what i understood of that recent update, the test results will be extended to 5yrs and they are looking to start running stage 2 sometime soon, in smaller qtys, from somewhere in Watford.

Am i reading this right?

severussnape

Hi Snape, I'm in the talent pool too and I got this email, i may be wrong but i think the reference to the OPC is a typo, I'm not certain but i think the 5 year validity is in line with the majority of other TOCs so this is what this sentence was meant to say. Could be wrong mind you.
Hopefully a typo. The stage one extension is great but if it's only 2 years from stage 2 just gives a few extra months.

burnttealeaf

Hopefully a typo. The stage one extension is great but if it's only 2 years from stage 2 just gives a few extra months.

oh sorry i didn't explain myself well there, i think the email was meant to say TOCs rather than OPC.

It could be that the OPC test results last 5 years and most TOCs align with that period but EMT/R choose to limit the validity to 2 years. Like you I'm not sure about stage 1 being valid for 5 years and stage 2 being 2 years with the OPC. That could be the way it is, someone with more knowledge will answer this I'm sure.

Overall I'm taking this latest email as a positive, esp as they say they amended the two year policy prior to the pandemic impact. they have people in the talent pool for various depots and they are aiming to get us into post but it may take a bit more time than initially expected, just my musings, i don't know for sure. i was really worried about the likelihood of getting a post before this email due to my stage 1 timing out soon (under the 2 year validity) and then covid having such a wide ranging impact and there being so many unknowns around the length of this impact. And yes if our stage 2 results are only valid for 2 years its not a long extension but it will provide a few more training course start dates that we could be called up for which is overall a better than the position before this email.

burnttealeaf

From what i understood of that recent update, the test results will be extended to 5yrs and they are looking to start running stage 2 sometime soon, in smaller qtys, from somewhere in Watford.

Am i reading this right?

hi Paully, i think there is a bit of mix up here and potentially we are referring to similar but different emails. myself and snape are in the talent pool having passed all of the recruitment stages. This post has morphed from the recruitment drive in 2019 which has now finished and lately, the post has also been in reference to the current recruitment drive. from your message im assuming you have passed stage one and are waiting to be invited to the next stage?

Also the OPC test are known as stage 1(paper based) and 2 (computer based and psychometric interview) but the EMR recruitment process includes a number of stages stage one being the OPC stage 1, stage 2 being a group exercise assessment day, stage 3 being a interview with a driver manager and stage 4 being the stage 2 OPC tests. The latest recruitment drive may vary but this was my experience last year.

hope I'm reading this right and not confusing things

Ptrains

I'm in the same boat as you burnttealeaf - passed all the stages and have recieved the 'welcome to the talent pool' email last year. I read the email sent out by EMR earlier this week as you do. Stage 1 extended from 2 to 5 years and stage 2 extended to 2 years from the date we took the test. That buys me an extra 6 months...
I get the impression that there still seems to be lack of positions available at my chosen depot of Derby (unless anyone knows differently) so the extension can only be a good thing.

iwasyoungonce

hi Paully, i think there is a bit of mix up here and potentially we are referring to similar but different emails. myself and snape are in the talent pool having passed all of the recruitment stages. This post has morphed from the recruitment drive in 2019 which has now finished and lately, the post has also been in reference to the current recruitment drive. from your message im assuming you have passed stage one and are waiting to be invited to the next stage?

Also the OPC test are known as stage 1(paper based) and 2 (computer based and psychometric interview) but the EMR recruitment process includes a number of stages stage one being the OPC stage 1, stage 2 being a group exercise assessment day, stage 3 being a interview with a driver manager and stage 4 being the stage 2 OPC tests. The latest recruitment drive may vary but this was my experience last year.

Yes thats right the latest recruitment have done stage 1, now awaiting the group assessment day, then DMI, and then OPC stage 2, if successful its then into the talent pool.

jamartin

I think you have possibly cleared up a fair amount of confusion, thankyou :smile:

paully617

What have you guys been doing whilst sat in the talent pool, jobs wise?
I'm due to leave the forces in the next 12 months and i really want this job but i get the feeling it can be a bit of a roulette? do they recruit from the talent pool in order of first in first out or do they then reinterview the talent pool for an up to date impression of each candidate?

Last edited:

Ptrains

I'm due to leave the forces in the next 12 months and i really want this job but i get the feeling it can be a bit of a roulette? do they recruit from the talent pool in order of first in first out or do they then reinterview the talent pool for an up to date impression of each candidate?
Carrying on as normal... I've told a few mates at work, but not made it common knowledge just in case it all falls through. I've also not booked any holidays.
I think that a new talent pool is created for each recruitment period and that interview scores / test results determine where in the pool you sit. They clear one pool before starting on the next, but I guess there's a bit of juggling around to fill vacancies at specific depots - it seems they offer posts based on upcoming depot vacancies, not just to fill a course.
Once you get the congratulations email, that's it (other than periodic emails to let you know they've not forgotten about you). Next stage is medical and reference checks. No more interviews

dan2610

So best results mean you get out of the pool first you reckon? Would your group agree with that @Dynamonic lol??!!

I’m in a talent pool, albeit for a different TOC and it sounds like it works in a pretty similar way.

Each recruitment drive has its own talent pool, once all interviews are completed then the talent pool is formed in order of score.

The lowest score from the first talent pool should always start before the highest score in a subsequent talent pool.

severussnape

I'm currently still in the fire service so have a secure job.
My advice would be not to put your eggs in one basket. Do you qualify for a resettlement package from the forces?

2011dandd

I’m still in the fire service also. Put the talent pool and possible job offer to the back of my mind. Anything can happen in the meantime especially with the consequences that covid 19 could pose, so best not whittling about it. Gave it my best shot so fingers crossed.

Ptrains

Heard from a friend of a friend that there's a bit of movement in the depot driver world... A few depot drivers (no idea of numbers) in Nottingham / Derby have been offered mainline courses that are due to start in the next month or so. Good news for us in the talent pool who are hoping for an October job offer.

burnttealeaf

Heard from a friend of a friend that there's a bit of movement in the depot driver world... A few depot drivers (no idea of numbers) in Nottingham / Derby have been offered mainline courses that are due to start in the next month or so. Good news for us in the talent pool who are hoping for an October job offer.
Nice one Ptrains, good to hear there is some movement.

Just a rumour at this point. No mainline offers have been made and no start dates given. ASLEF nationally, not just at a local level, still has a ban on members being 2 in a cab apart from in very exceptional circumstances. This is apparently unlikely to change until further COVID restrictions are relaxed.

severussnape

Hi all hope everyone's keeping safe.

I have mentioned previously on here that I've been in the talent pool now for quiet a long time. I have been reflecting a lot over the recent weeks on my future. I have turned down several promotion opportunities with my current job. I'm starting to think, am I making the right decision, putting my eggs in one basket.

Are there any depot drivers on this group?
Would it be possible to tell me what a
typical day/night at work consists of? I have read the job description/role, but still not 100% how that translates into the working shift.

What pension do you start off with? I have read you have to do 5 years in a certain scheme before moving across to another. What is the retirement age?
Are there many opportunities to progress onto the mainline and how long does this take?

Sorry for all the questions I just need to be sure I'm making the right decision.
Thanks in advance.

Dynamonic

Hi all hope everyone's keeping safe.

I have mentioned previously on here that I've been in the talent pool now for quiet a long time. I have been reflecting a lot over the recent weeks on my future. I have turned down several promotion opportunities with my current job. I'm starting to think, am I making the right decision, putting my eggs in one basket.

Are there any depot drivers on this group?
Would it be possible to tell me what a
typical day/night at work consists of? I have read the job description/role, but still not 100% how that translates into the working shift.

What pension do you start off with? I have read you have to do 5 years in a certain scheme before moving across to another. What is the retirement age?
Are there many opportunities to progress onto the mainline and how long does this take?

Sorry for all the questions I just need to be sure I'm making the right decision.
Thanks in advance.

Hi there severussnape,

I will PM you shortly. :)

burnttealeaf

Hi there severussnape,

I will PM you shortly. :)
Dynamonic, would you be able to send me the same information please?, it would be much appriciated. Im the same boat as snape waiting in the talent pool and i have been wondering about these matters too BUT i am fully ready to leave my current job as there is zero progress available and i really dont enjoy the work. Many thanks.

Dynamonic

Dynamonic, would you be able to send me the same information please?, it would be much appriciated. Im the same boat as snape waiting in the talent pool and i have been wondering about these matters too BUT i am fully ready to leave my current job as there is zero progress available and i really dont enjoy the work. Many thanks.

Will do, PM coming your way. :)

ward931

Hi all,

I'm also in the talent pool and have gone through this thread a few times and can only find basic info on typical hours at Nottingham.

I know it varies but is anyone able to give me a better idea?

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm also in the talent pool and have gone through this thread a few times and can only find basic info on typical hours at Nottingham.

I know it varies but is anyone able to give me a better idea?

Thanks

Largely evenings and overnights. Shifts are 8 or 9 hours long. Start times are

with a few tweaks on weekends. It's 10x5 day weeks and 14x4 day weeks on a 24 line roster which you work your way down. You basically spend your shift perminently on call to do whatever the station supervisors and ground shunters want you to do around the station and yard - fuelling, shunting, coupling, uncoupling, taking them in and out of the maintenence shed, preparing them for service etc etc. It's okay, expect to do at least 2 years of it post training before you are considered for mainline training.

Gemz91

Is this job a depot driver? Has it been renamed now or is this a different role? Is the wage lower now too? Or is the advertised wage not showing shift allowance?

Is this job a depot driver? Has it been renamed now or is this a different role? Is the wage lower now too? Or is the advertised wage not showing shift allowance?

Ground shunters. Great job. Boss of the sidings.

heedfan

Cheers for the reply. Was having a bit of a blond moment, shunter is a person incharge of the depot and doesn't drive trains.

I get it now.

Slightly different at Neville Hill (EMR's other depot, at least for the time being) where the shunter and depot driver role is combined and all Service Drivers (read, Depot Drivers) hold dual competency.

ward931

Largely evenings and overnights. Shifts are 8 or 9 hours long. Start times are

with a few tweaks on weekends. It's 10x5 day weeks and 14x4 day weeks on a 24 line roster which you work your way down. You basically spend your shift perminently on call to do whatever the station supervisors and ground shunters want you to do around the station and yard - fuelling, shunting, coupling, uncoupling, taking them in and out of the maintenence shed, preparing them for service etc etc. It's okay, expect to do at least 2 years of it post training before you are considered for mainline training.

Amazing, thanks for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.