• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanda

Ground shunters. Great job. Boss of the sidings.

Hey SpankTheMonkey, just wondering if you know if this role is subject to the train driver application process, ie two fails and you're out? I've failed twice so cannot have a career as a train driver but I like the sound of this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hey SpankTheMonkey, just wondering if you know if this role is subject to the train driver application process, ie two fails and you're out? I've failed twice so cannot have a career as a train driver but I like the sound of this.

It's not linked to the driving grade but shunters have become drivers. Two failures at the OPC would not prevent you getting the job. It's a superb job with great promotional prospects. I'd take it and hope they reform the driving application procedure and reset the failure counts again (this happened about a decade ago and everyone got their "lives back").

EMR is on a mass pro-female bender at the mo so I reckon that'd be in your favour. Could do with a female on the team down there

Amanda

It's not linked to the driving grade but shunters have become drivers. Two failures at the OPC would not prevent you getting the job. It's a superb job with great promotional prospects. I'd take it and hope they reform the driving application procedure and reset the failure counts again (this happened about a decade ago and everyone got their "lives back").

EMR is on a mass pro-female bender at the mo so I reckon that'd be in your favour. Could do with a female on the team down there

Thank you so much. I popped my application in over the weekend so let's see what happens. :lol:

For anyone following this one, the union have apparently finished their risk assessments and in-cab training is recommencing 3rd August so anyone waiting in talent pools should get some news or movement soon.

Ptrains

For anyone following this one, the union have apparently finished their risk assessments and in-cab training is recommencing 3rd August so anyone waiting in talent pools should get some news or movement soon.
Great News!! - I recall that October was pencilled in as the next Depot Driver course, so I guess some of us in the talent pool might hear something in the next month or so. A couple of months before a potential start date seems logical - enough time to get medicals and reference checks sorted, then (in my case) a month's notice to quit my current job...

nathan211

Good afternoon all, has anyone had an update since the last COVID email? If there’s still a course scheduled for October I can’t help but feel like we have to be close to an email etc now?

2011dandd

Hi everyone
Has anyone from the autumn 2018 application for derby/notts trainee Depot Driver talent pool heard anything at all in recent days/weeks from the recruitment team?

PedroTheGoat

A colleague I work with apparently has a friend who is currently doing the depot training but it's all happening from home and computer based learning.

Dynamonic

A colleague I work with apparently has a friend who is currently doing the depot training but it's all happening from home and computer based learning.

That’s right. Driver training is still going on with a mix of home learning and training bubbles. We’ve got new Depot Drivers out driving with mentors at the moment, and those currently in the classroom will be following suit very soon. Things are definitely moving in EMR land on the training front. :)

PedroTheGoat

That's great news, it's been a year since I passed my stage 2 so hopefully get a start date soon

That’s right. Driver training is still going on with a mix of home learning and training bubbles. We’ve got new Depot Drivers out driving with mentors at the moment, and those currently in the classroom will be following suit very soon. Things are definitely moving in EMR land on the training front. :)

I've been told that no Derby trainees being started until the end of 2021 so could be a very long depressing wait o_O:frown:

Last edited:

severussnape

That's great news, it's been a year since I passed my stage 2 so hopefully get a start date soon

I've been told that no Derby trainees being started until the end of 2021 so could be a very long depressing wait o_O:frown:
Mint, glad I've put the last 2 years on old. My time in the talent pool will have expired by then.

iwasyoungonce

I've heard a rumour from a mate who works ar EMR the tests are valued for 5 years now although I havent been told officially.
If your in the EMR system you will have had an email from the Talent Team to tell you a stage 1 pass is valid for 5 years, and you will remain in the pool for up to 2 years.

Wellsinho

Is anyone currently waiting to sit Stage 2 / MMI? Presumably this is currently on hold indefinitely?

Ptrains

It'll be very close for me, with the talent pool being kept open for 2 years from sitting stage 2 I'm ok until November 2021. There seems to be a small group of around half of dozen of us who are at serious risk of coming out of what has been a long and time consuming process with absolutely nothing. Not helped by the fact that EMR haven't really kept us updated - the last email I had from them was back in April telling me that October was likely to be the next course. Nothing since. Does anyone feel they don't want to give us bad news?

I get the impression that Derby was overstaffed which is why the October course was for predominantly Nottingham drivers - which I fully understand, but for future courses I would hope that those of us who are at risk of dropping out of the pool would be given the opportunity to change to another depot. Lets face it, both sides of this recruitment process have invested a fair bit of time (and money) in filling the talent pool, so why let it go to waste... It's frustrating as I would have happily nominated either Nottingham or Derby as both are under 30 minutes drive from my home, but as we could only select one I chose Derby as it's a bit nearer.

2011dandd

It'll be very close for me, with the talent pool being kept open for 2 years from sitting stage 2 I'm ok until November 2021. There seems to be a small group of around half of dozen of us who are at serious risk of coming out of what has been a long and time consuming process with absolutely nothing. Not helped by the fact that EMR haven't really kept us updated - the last email I had from them was back in April telling me that October was likely to be the next course. Nothing since. Does anyone feel they don't want to give us bad news?

I get the impression that Derby was overstaffed which is why the October course was for predominantly Nottingham drivers - which I fully understand, but for future courses I would hope that those of us who are at risk of dropping out of the pool would be given the opportunity to change to another depot. Lets face it, both sides of this recruitment process have invested a fair bit of time (and money) in filling the talent pool, so why let it go to waste... It's frustrating as I would have happily nominated either Nottingham or Derby as both are under 30 minutes drive from my home, but as we could only select one I chose Derby as it's a bit nearer.

Ditto

I expressed that I would be happy to work at either depot as the 1 mile difference is nothing.
I have no idea why they remain so firm, surely this provides more flexibility.
I get it if it was a massive difference in distance to travel that they may have future internal transfers to contend with.
But really baffled with the stance on not allowing depot preference change vs expiration of candidates in the talent pool

Happer'sComet

Yep. Nothing heard since May, however the re-emergence of Covid will likely push it further back.

Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone has heard anything more about depot driver recruitment advertised at the beginning of this year?

Last thing I received was an email in August saying things were moving again, but nothing since. I realise that the new covid restrictions may have caused further delay, but strange not to hear from HR...

Many thanks.

PedroTheGoat

Hi all.

Just wondered if anyone has heard anything more about depot driver recruitment advertised at the beginning of this year?

Last thing I received was an email in August saying things were moving again, but nothing since. I realise that the new covid restrictions may have caused further delay, but strange not to hear from HR...

Many thanks.

I know some people I work with have had short video interviews, however apart from that I don't know anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.