• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee train driver and maternity leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jc598

Hi,
I have made it through two stages of the GTR trainee train driver assessment.
When I start training, I will be doing a three month classroom based course, then at least a year of individual route learning. I don't get the full train driver pay until the end of my 2 years training.
However, if I were to go on maternity leave, how does this work. Say I had a baby 1 year into training, does that mean I would return and start on the full train driver pay. Or would my maternity leave be on trainee pay and delay my route learning by another year.
I believe it's the latter (and fair enough, since I will be on maternity leave and not "learning the route") in the training. However my husband is trying to persuade me to have another baby, and says "you can come off a year maternity leave and be on full pay soon after you are back"
Who is right? Me or him?
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Driver pay is usually based on completion of your final assessments. (ICA/Part 6/etc.)

Then typically you have a set time of being "post qualified" till you get the next rise.

If you were pregnant during any stage, it would delay that stage till your return.

Established Member
The starting point is that you can’t have a pay rise withheld due to maternity leave, so I would imagine you would get an increase at the time you would expected to quality and receive one, say a year or so after starting. Some TOCs will backdate trainees to full money if they haven’t passed out after a certain period due to no DI availability.

Something to take the advice of a solicitor on before making any firm decisions.

Jc598

Driver pay is usually based on completion of your final assessments. (ICA/Part 6/etc.)

Then typically you have a set time of being "post qualified" till you get the next rise.

If you were pregnant during any stage, it would delay that stage till your return.
Thank you. Really helpful response.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
If you went off on maternity leave during your training course, I'd be surprised if they didn't back course you and make you redo your rules and traction phases on your return.

You really need to focus on the training for that training year. I'd delay that baby a year if you can. It'll make the world of difference.

If you go off at any time before you reach your full rate after two years, you'll get the lower rate and the clock stops. Your post qualified increases are usually based on productive driving time. Ie a year off during your second post qualifying year will mean you'll still have to do a year on the lower rate on your return

the sniper

Established Member
A year of route learning?! You training to become a Saltley Seagul?! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.