• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trains in movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been posted, but the children's TV show Horrible Histories used the Bluebell Railway (I assume Horstead Keynes) for their section in an episode about the Great Western Railway. An S15 hauls a GWR train formed of SR stock. :) The BBC seem to have used it quite a few times for filming.

-Peter
Yes that station and line seems to have been used alot for TV & Fims, Poirot, Downton Abbey etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

d9009alycidon

BBC's much awaited adaptation of H.G. Wells "The War of the Worlds" started on Sunday night. Just got round to watching episode 1 and unlike Hollywood's need to set the films in the USA the BBC have attempted to preserve the narrative of the original book by using the original English locations. Those locations in the book are around Woking, Horsell Common, Byfleet, Letherhead, and with that in mind I would have expected the much used Bluebell line to be used for the railway shots of the characters travelling to and from London as this is firmly Southern territory, but BBC obviously could not get the Bluebell as they have employed GWR Collet 0-6-0 3205 and a rake of GWR coaches (probably on the South Devon Railway), and as the loco was not built until 1946 it somewhat spoils the generally good Victorian atmosphere that BBC production team have achieved.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
BBC's much awaited adaptation of H.G. Wells "The War of the Worlds" started on Sunday night. Just got round to watching episode 1 and unlike Hollywood's need to set the films in the USA the BBC have attempted to preserve the narrative of the original book by using the original English locations. Those locations in the book are around Woking, Horsell Common, Byfleet, Letherhead, and with that in mind I would have expected the much used Bluebell line to be used for the railway shots of the characters travelling to and from London as this is firmly Southern territory, but BBC obviously could not get the Bluebell as they have employed GWR Collet 0-6-0 3205 and a rake of GWR coaches (probably on the South Devon Railway), and as the loco was not built until 1946 it somewhat spoils the generally good Victorian atmosphere that BBC production team have achieved.

It hardly matters. Did it detract from the story?

For instance i have noted the Bluebelle in Downton Abbey which should be shot on an LNER station in Yorkshire! Does my mum care about that? Does she stuff!

( personally i want to know how they managed to get through the first world war by killing one oik and winging an aristo ;- )

MarlowDonkey

In the new series of "The Crown" there's a very distant overhead shot of a train crossing the famous curving concrete viaduct in the Highlands. Princess Margaret is off to visit friends in Scotland. Later it turns out she's visiting near Peebles which is somewhere south of Edinburgh and Glasgow.

d9009alycidon

In the new series of "The Crown" there's a very distant overhead shot of a train crossing the famous curving concrete viaduct in the Highlands. Princess Margaret is off to visit friends in Scotland. Later it turns out she's visiting near Peebles which is somewhere south of Edinburgh and Glasgow.

There must be plenty of footage of Flying Scotsman going back and forward to Tweedbank that they could have adapted!

The Prisoner

In the film Knight and Day (Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz 2010) Salzburg Hauptbahnhof in the film is actually Sevilla Santa Justa station and they didn't change all the signs...Sevilla signs can be seen in the shot. Seem to also recall the driver telling Simon the locomotive was a Diesel Hydraulic and then an electric loco being shown

BrettSy96

Apologies if already mentioned but I remember a film I’ve seen called “millions” and there’s a few different trains included, i vaguely remember footage of a 37, some Virgin pendolinos and a Virgin HST!

AY1975

Established Member
Yesterday I went to see the film "Official Secrets", which is about GCHQ whistleblower Katherine Gun. It is based on a true story about a leaked memo about the 2003 Iraq war, and it takes place in Cheltenham, where GCHQ's main site is, but according to Wikipedia it was actually filmed in Yorkshire.

There are a couple of scenes of her on board a Class 101 DMU, supposedly travelling from Cheltenham to London and back. 2003 was the 101s' last year of service on the national rail network, but by that time the then First North Western was the only train operator still using them. If you look carefully, the unit used in the film appears to have FNW signage. Does anyone know which railway those scenes were filmed on? My guess would be the Keighley & Worth Valley or the East Lancs, or it might have been filmed on board a regular FNW service train.

If the film had been set in the 1980s, a 101 would have been authentic, as I would guess that in those days if you were travelling from Cheltenham to London at a time when there was no through train, you would have taken a DMU to Swindon or Worcester and then changed for London Paddington.

Goldie

Do the BBC actually EVER get it right?

Box of Delights. Set in GWR territory in the 1930s, lots of Severn Valley Railway at the start of the first episode. 3205 features again, but in scenes so evocative that you won't mind.

Goldie

Bulldog Jack (1935) is well worth watching. If you've already seen it, you'll know what a cracking film it is. If you haven't, imagine that bit from the end of Speed where Dennis Hopper hijacks a Los Angeles Red Line metro train. But with Hopper replaced by a crazed Albert Einstein lookalike in a long coat. And Keanu Reeves replaced by an upper class Englishman with brylcreemed hair who is handy at cricket. And Sandra Bullock replaced by Fay Wray out of King Kong (how did that telephone call to her agent go?). And the RedLine replaced by the 1930s London Underground. All built in the studio as far as I know, but lovingly done. Here's a taste, showing the lengths the filmkaers went to: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...-comic-actor-news-photo/3139005?adppopup=true

sprinterguy

Established Member
Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Half the fun of watching movies it to spot the places where you know 'that's ridiculous' but carry on . Granted, it's usually not worth complaining to the producer or whoever. However, there is nothing wrong with intentionally looking for anachronisms, errors, etc., whether in railways, cars, hospitals, weather patterns or whatever you know a bit about. It's just a bit of fun, nothing to get offended by.

Have only just noticed this thread (I don't usually look at "Traction & Rolling Stock"). I do feel that @pdeaves's view of matters above, is the best to take as regards the dispute: "being wrenched out of the film's action by something inaccurate / incongruous", versus "it's entertainment -- suspend your disbelief, for heaven's sake !". Nitpicking re inaccuracies can be done in a spirit of fun, rather than outrage.

I recall once seeing a book with the title "The Killjoy's Guide to the Cinema". It was an essentially humorous, tongue-in-cheek work: devoted to enumerating, film by film, assorted "wrong stuff" -- what the author referred to as "dreck" -- in numerous classic, and not-so-classic, cinematic offerings. The "dreck" concerned was, on the whole, a matter of general -- in the main decidedly small -- anachronisms / continuity errors / implied contradictions, rather than inaccuracies which only an expert on a particular subject would be aware of or be bothered by. It seemed clear that the author absolutely loved this avocation of his.

I think my favourite "railway thing got wrong in a film", has to be the one in Women In Love, released 1969. The film is set in 1920: one scene shows one of the chief male characters racing, on horseback, a colliery train on the parallel rail line. The train is hauled by a National Coal Board "Austerity" 0-6-0ST, fitted with a Giesl ejector. (Dr. Adolph Giesl-Gieslingen was no doubt a genius; but it's hard to see him as a sufficiently precociously brilliant teenager, to have been able by 1920 to invent his improved-draughting device and sell it to Europe's railways in general.) Of course this is a case of -- per various posts in the thread -- for the enormous majority of the watching public, "a train is a train is a train" -- for a 1920 scene, so long as the train's steam, they'll be happy.

I could ignore TOPS codes on goods wagons supposedly in wartime Poland (The Password is Courage) but I did find the words "British Railways" on the side of a supposedly Victorian locomotive (The Secret Agent) jarring.

I happened some years ago, to encounter a cunning new stratagem employed by some people, to soothe threatened inner turmoil over inaccuracies /incongruities in (using the term very broadly) "fiction". Namely: rope in the "alternative history" scene, and assume that the past of one's own time-line was, in a few basically tiny and unimportant things, different from how official history tells it.

This ploy was found by me, among fans of the American fantasy / alternative-history novelist S.M. Stirling. He's written a long, long series of novels (which I came to find awful, and largely destroying of my former liking for the guy's works -- but that's by the way) about a cosmic catastrophe which strikes Earth in IIRC 1997 -- resulting in technology suddenly being thrown back most of a millennium, and the rapid death of 90%-plus, of the planet's population. Bound up with these novels, is stuff concerned with the output of the authors A. Conan Doyle and J.R.R. Tolkien (on whom Stirling is keen to obsession-point); whereby in a few very small details -- as well as everything changing from our historical time-line at the 1997 cataclysm; our own history pre-cataclysm, was also a tiny bit different.

Thus: in The Secret Agent (1880s setting, if I'm right) -- loco emblazoned "British Railways". One might speculate (without harm to the cloak-and-dagger stuff) that, like quite a number of continental European countries in the 19th century, the UK had had a mixture of privately-owned railway undertakings, and State ditto: the latter being 19th-century "British Railways". Similarly with the recent televised War of the Worlds, with Great Western trains serving parts of Surrey: it would seem not a hugely far-fetched thing to imagine, that railway development west and south-west of London had gone a little differently from our historical time-line (which would have been "just as actually was" in all other respects); with trackage in Surrey, of the -- or a -- Great Western Railway.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was watching a Miss Marple recently which mentioned first Russians in Space which was around 1957-1961, however in a railway scene, the carriages had old Great Western signage which should not have happened so long after nationalisation (About 10 years earlier). They had some side by side running at speed with GWR carriages so not sure where those sections were filmed.

SteveM70

Established Member
I’m currently rewatching Peaky Blinders, and there’s a scene filmed (I think) at Keighley

L+Y

One thing that amazed and impressed me with the most recent series of the Crown are the Royal Train scenes for the investiture of Prince Charles. The train is drawn, perfectly accurately, by a shining blue disc fitted class 40- fantastic!

There's something about the scenes though, that don't look quite right, proportionally. Does anybody know if the scene was genuinely filmed with (presumably) D212, or is this a 37 with a CGI "nose job"?

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
One thing that amazed and impressed me with the most recent series of the Crown are the Royal Train scenes for the investiture of Prince Charles. The train is drawn, perfectly accurately, by a shining blue disc fitted class 40- fantastic!

There's something about the scenes though, that don't look quite right, proportionally. Does anybody know if the scene was genuinely filmed with (presumably) D212, or is this a 37 with a CGI "nose job"?

In the world away from this forum (yes, there is such a place outside our bubble) I have seen two complaints in the past week about 'The Crown' using Belvoir Castle (round tower, made of red brick) to stand in for Windsor (round tower, made of grey stone). So I think we can assume that while they try to get things to look right, there's only so far they will go. Which in turn means that if it looks like a class 40, it is a class 40 rather than a 37 with a funny hat on.

Colin1501

The recent BBC drama Gold Digger Gold Digger, Series 1: 1. Her Boy: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07ptcxc via @bbciplayer has some great exterior shots of GWR HSTs but then let’s it down with the interior shots being 165s every time.

Some similar 165 interior shots in episode 2, including one where the female lead, Julia, returns to her seat carrying quarter bottles of wine, presumably from the buffet?!!

TommyJ

Every interior train shot is in that 165 which does mess with the realism a bit! Other than that it’s great drama though.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Sir! Sir! Please Sir!

Call the Midwife are getting their trains wrong!

If I have understood my steam trains, they have arrived at Mallaig behind a Great Western locomotive (which seems to have benefited from some carefully placed (CGI?) steam to obscure the company name, while the ferry has also had its (CalMac?) branding concealed).

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
There was an Agatha Christie the other day, supposed to be GWR from Paddington to Plymouth, but the rolling stock was SR green not Chocolate & Cream. I think the station used in one shot was on the Bluebell line.

d9009alycidon

Sir! Sir! Please Sir!

Call the Midwife are getting their trains wrong!

If I have understood my steam trains, they have arrived at Mallaig behind a Great Western locomotive (which seems to have benefited from some carefully placed (CGI?) steam to obscure the company name, while the ferry has also had its (CalMac?) branding concealed).

Compounded by the scene before that not even being in the UK, it appeared to be some Austrian or German Steam Loco hauling 6 wheel coaches. You would have thought they could have scraped up some footage of the Jacobite. And since when did the Scottish Region station signage have green backgrounds, light blue surely, The plot was full of holes as well, the ferryman would not go out to the lighthouse as it was the Sabbath, yet the weaving women were hard at work at the same time

Calthrop

Established Member
The plot was full of holes as well, the ferryman would not go out to the lighthouse as it was the Sabbath, yet the weaving women were hard at work at the same time

It's possible with a bit of ingenuity, to explain away to oneself a lot of stuff of this sort, if one wishes to. Though extreme Presbyterianism predominates in the West Highlands / islands area, a proportion of the inhabitants are Catholic and non-fanatical about Sabbath observance (a situation whose comedy-potential is made use of by Compton Mackenzie, in his novels set in the Western Isles). Maybe the ferryman was a Free Kirk zealot, while the weaving ladies were Catholics? :smile:

Chris217

Has anyone ever seen the TV serial called
The Last Train.(1999)?
Some amusing obvious mistakes in the first episode
Where they alledge they are departing St Pancras for Sheffield.
On board they are on a mk2 TSO but the
ariel shot is of a 90 on mk3s.
Later shots you see clearly that it's an 87.
And scenes entering a tunnel which are back to mk2s with what sounds like a 47.
It's a good serial to watch though 6 parts long at an hour a go.
Only episode 1 contains trains though.

PeterC

Established Member
The need to use preserved railways mean that so many period dramas have obvious branch line stations with obvious branch line trains depping for the London express. While accepting the necessity I find that a bigger irritation that the engine being the wrong colour.

Chris217

Ha and the fact that on heritage lines the max speed is 25mph.
Not to mention the continuous joint track the expresses run on lol.
Slightly less realistic when you know the difference!

d9009alycidon

A word of praise for the Film "The Aftermath". Set in post WW2 Hamburg there are a couple of scenes set in a major station (assume it is meant to be Hamburg) and they looked extremely convincing, a combination of genuine German Steam locos and stock with a bit of CGI. Some that are familiar with German Raiways in the immediate post war period would probably be able to pick a few holes but it looked good to me.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I saw Red Joan yesterday. They used the Bluebelle Railway for "Ely" and some kind of wooden bodied coach for 1950's services. Awful. ( but didn't really impact on the film which in itself was not as good as it could/should have been)

With the large budgets some of these have, is it really that difficult to hire in a correct loco for a week?

yes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.