• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainspotting location "holy grail" and favourite specific locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
From a post I made in https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/advice-for-new-trainspotter.208725/:
The "holy grail" in my opinion is an less used station (nobody to ask you what you're doing), with automated announcements (so you know when something's about to come through), on a line with lots of trains per hour (so you don't get bored).

Basically the premise of this thread is - describe your dream trainspotting location! (And also state your favourite real life ones, if you have any).

Firstly, I enjoy Didcot Parkway, just because the dead straight platforms mean trains shoot through at a very impressive speed.

Secondly, Penrith. You get all Avanti traction, the TPE electrics, some freight, and even the odd 325. Which I think is a pretty good selection considering the relatively small numbers of passengers.

I also like Deansgate. Everything through the Castlefield Corridor without the stress of people constantly getting on and off trains! Although there's often a revenue protection who will advise (read - instruct, and view you as suspicious if you don't) you to get the tram if you have a ticket to Piccadilly.

Note that, I've selected locations with only a few platforms. I hate spotting at huge stations, it feels like a race to catch up with everything that's going on!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Hanwell in west London. Good variety of freight and passenger workings, relatively quiet in terms of passenger numbers, friendly staff and very photogenic. Decked out in GWR chocolate and cream, it reminds me of a country station

Taunton

Established Member
On a footbridge 1/4 mile west of Taunton station, with all the distant signals pulled off and Castles approaching at speed from both directions ... :)

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
In slightly more modern times compared to the last poster - Headcorn in Kent where you could see trains coming from miles away on dead straight track with a variety of outer suburban and express stock including the boat trains to Dover and Folkestone

Nowadays? I can't think of any "holy grail" stations. Even CCTV is everywhere

geoffk

Established Member
On a footbridge 1/4 mile west of Taunton station, with all the distant signals pulled off and Castles approaching at speed from both directions ... :)
If you mean the 40 Steps bridge, I was last there on New Year's Day in 2002 but recent photos show a new relief road alongside the tracks, while the bridge itself appears to have a steel "cage" over it, so I guess we can both cross it off our list!

py_megapixel

Established Member
If you mean the 40 Steps bridge, I was last there on New Year's Day in 2002 but recent photos show a new relief road alongside the tracks, while the bridge itself appears to have a steel "cage" over it, so I guess we can both cross it off our list!
My favourite trainspotting bridge (not in Taunton) recently acquired a cage. I don't know why. Possibly something to do with people throwing litter onto the lines.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Some of my favourite stations include Northallerton for its variety, speed of passing trains and good view of passing trains. Fitzwilliam is also a good’n, however, the line speed is a bit slower, though this is made up for by having more freight traffic.

Other favourites include pretty much all stations on the ECML, South Kenton, Rugby, Long Marston, Heaton Chapel, Kearsley, Leyland, Edinburgh Park and Apperley Bridge.

I have a few stations on my bucket list, those being Cheddington, Acton Bridge, West Byfleet, Balcombe and Harlington.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Finsbury Park is a particular RL favourite of mine. Lot of variety and the Moorgate branch is interesting even if the NSE signs have gone.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I've always been fond of the Dawlish Sea Wall, some great views of trains whilst on the beach.

chorleyjeff

My favourite trainspotting bridge (not in Taunton) recently acquired a cage. I don't know why. Possibly something to do with people throwing litter onto the lines.
Mine was the glass bridge at Preston. No restrictions at all and could see everything going through Preston.
And do close inspections of Semis chimneys from above and breath in the noxious fumes.

Taunton

Established Member
It is, distressingly, a new footbridge. The old one dated from 1930, when the line at Taunton was widened and the shunting yard on the south side (the district store for spare wagons) was built. Universally known in the town as "Fortysteps", one word, not the "40 Steps" that NR sign it. The new road across where the sidings were cuts through where the bridge supports were, so a new one was part of the project. The sidings went a long time ago and the Taunton mail sorting office had been built on the site. Yes the cage is completely over the top (in multiple senses).

It does have ramps, huge ones, which I'm sure the residents of Cyril Street don't appreciate now looming over their back gardens. However it does now have accessibility. This overcomes one of the spotters' periodic duties there, that of assisting mothers with prams up the aforementioned steps, crossing with them, and assisting down the other side, as they made their way from the north side houses to the town centre. I once missed a rare inbound Southern N 2-6-0 coming in from presumably Barnstaple while performing the latter part of this task, it being shielded from my sight by a chance down express. Nobody else was there. It never shunted back to the shed so must have continued to Yeovil. Summer 1961 I think; anyone get the number?

Not a completely lost cause. The ramp on the north side still gives, if you stop at just the right spot, an open view westwards for a mile or more to see trains approaching. You used to get this from sat about two steps down from the top (three steps as I became taller).

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Barnetby was always a classic location to visit. The freight trains just seemed to come in a constant procession.

AJM580

Chesterfield is worth a visit, there's a footbridge to the north of the station which gives good views. Also recommend Stowmarket and Ely.

alexf380

Established Member
Prestonpans seems to be a popular location around my part. A little further down the line there is a well worn footpath leading to a lineside access gate. I've seen many a photo taken from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.