• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

cnjb8

Established Member
Former Mk1 WitchWay, Mk2 Mainline and Pride of the North liveried B7TL 2750 has received a new coat of paint and another variation of the local branding.

Twitter Link

View attachment 91854

Still no sign or word of the new Mellor Dishwashers that are due for the newly won tendered work. There was a Keighley Jet Merc floating around Queensgate a few days ago though, possibly there for driver familiarisation duties.

Other side of the hills and the Otley Dash quietly entered service with two suitably branded Solo SRs. Route number 965 has also been dropped, must have been another long used route number that is suddenly causing confusion...

A refreshed (and rather unfinished looking) Wharfdale Links livery has also been introduced, confusingly very similar to the Otley Dash - why not just have everything under the Wharfdale Links brand? Even so, it does look a lot better than the Darts did.

Whilst I am usually a fan of Transdev and their innovations, I think that yellow and that green don't go together well

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Other side of the hills and the Otley Dash quietly entered service with two suitably branded Solo SRs. Route number 965 has also been dropped, must have been another long used route number that is suddenly causing confusion...

A refreshed (and rather unfinished looking) Wharfdale Links livery has also been introduced, confusingly very similar to the Otley Dash - why not just have everything under the Wharfdale Links brand? Even so, it does look a lot better than the Darts did.

To be fair, the number 965 hasn't been used for the route for nearly as long as other route numbers they've dropped. I think it dates from 2003. Before that there were W-prefixed services.

The route changed in 2010 to incorporate the section to Newall from the former 968.

In 1980 it was the 779 (and 789 to Askwith)

M60lad

From what I heard yesterday it seems that Transdev Blackburn are going to be taking on revised 113 Preston-Leyland service shortly and renumbering it 153, the current 113 Preston-Wigan service is being renumbered and replaced with an extended 111 service which will now run Preston-Wigan and still be operated by Stagecoach.

markymark2000

On Moderation
From what I heard yesterday it seems that Transdev Blackburn are going to be taking on revised 113 Preston-Leyland service shortly and renumbering it 153, the current 113 Preston-Wigan service is being renumbered and replaced with an extended 111 service which will now run Preston-Wigan and still be operated by Stagecoach.
It's an interesting change isn't it really. I'll be interested to see how the 111 works out. Will it be all buses still end up going to Moss Side or will it end up with one of those silly services where the 4/5 buses to to Moss Side and the other bus goes to Wigan meaning every 12 minutes there is a bus then a random 24 minute gap.

SCH117X

Established Member
The service list on 1 Sept 1977 in Keith Jenkinsons 1977 book on WYRCC gives Otley-Newall Carr-Farnley Lane-Otley as the 778 and 779 operating in different directions around the loop and a 780 as the Otley-Weston Est-Otley circular. Askwith was served by the 29; one of those jems of a rural service that took a long route between two points (Otley and Harrogate). Provided the destination display is clear as to where the bus is going the need for a route number is limited where their is not a flood of competing services.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Transdev certainly won the tender to run between Preston and Leyland, along with a number of other services across the Ribble Valley, Burnley and Pendle areas. I believe the Preston - Wigan section is commercially operated by Stagecoach, which is presumably why they are making some alterations to that section of the route.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Transdev certainly won the tender to run between Preston and Leyland, along with a number of other services across the Ribble Valley, Burnley and Pendle areas. I believe the Preston - Wigan section is commercially operated by Stagecoach, which is presumably why they are making some alterations to that section of the route.
Stagecoach withdrew the 113 commercially back in Jan 2019 and is now fully tendered (unless something has changed since June 2020. See below for details). The only explanation which I can come up with is Stagecoach put in an alternative bid to link the 113 into the 111 to try and give the service a commercial boost as the service should be upto 25 minutes quicker than previously (which gives a much more reasonable 1h 25 journey time from Wigan to Preston). This could encourage some people to travel longer distances using the 113 rather than using the car.

In a statement, Stagecoach said: "From Monday January 7, service 113 between Preston and Wigan will be withdrawn.
"This is not a decision the business has taken lightly.
"We have exhausted all options to keep the service in operation, but there has been a significant decline in the number of passengers over a long period of time and without financial assistance, the route is unfortunately no longer viable.
“Stagecoach made Lancashire County Council aware of its decision well in advance and we will be working closely with them to assist them where possible in providing alternative transport arrangements for communities affected.”

See this link for a freedom of information request dated June 2020. The PDF here shows that the 113 is tendered throughout

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Stagecoach withdrew the 113 commercially back in Jan 2019 and is now fully tendered (unless something has changed since June 2020. See below for details). The only explanation which I can come up with is Stagecoach put in an alternative bid to link the 113 into the 111 to try and give the service a commercial boost as the service should be upto 25 minutes quicker than previously (which gives a much more reasonable 1h 25 journey time from Wigan to Preston). This could encourage some people to travel longer distances using the 113 rather than using the car.

See this link for a freedom of information request dated June 2020. The PDF here shows that the 113 is tendered throughout
GM confirm it is currently a tendered service on page 30.

This service is commissioned by Lancashire County Council with a financial contribution made by Transport for Greater Manchester.

Stan Drews

Established Member

It may be two separate contracts then, as the Preston end has certainly been an LCC tender for a lot longer, and whatever agreement Stagecoach and LCC came to in Jan 19 for the Wigan end, may not be due for renewal at the moment.

M60lad

The 113 is a funny tender to be honest as I remember a couple of years ago when Stagecoach used to do daytime journies and Prestonbus used to do the evening tender there was a journey in the evening whereby despite it being classed as a through route anyone travelling through to Wigan would have to change buses at Leyland Tescos from Stagecoach vehicle onto the Prestonbus vehicle.

The Prestonbus vehicle wouldn't move until the Stagecoach bus had turned up.

Established Member

RustySpoons

The Lancashire changes for May can be seen here - https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/roads...bus-service-changes/mays-bus-service-changes/

There seems to be a lot of improvements throughout the network, surprised to see the 113 (to be renumbered 153) increasing to every 30 minutes between Leyland and Preston.

Some sensible changes there. 'New' service 68 looks to be restoring the much missed link between Barrowford and Colne, something that has been missed for a while.

The ridiculous 95 (mostly now renumbered 6) is straightened out a bit in Nelson and Colne, but in Burnley the dog leg via Lower Manor remains. I do wonder how many people on the estate actually use the bus to justify that. The closure of the sixth form college up there can't have increased demand either.
The Lower Manor section does actually cover quite a large area, especially as it runs down through Daneshouse and Stoneyholme too. I forgot the sixth form centre even exists... or existed! Though I always assumed it's proximity to the Mainline may have been more useful to students than the via everywhere 95.

I've said it before but it's a shame that they couldn't have put some of the funding towards evening services on the existing town services. Especially considering the odd decision to have a Rose Hill Circular Sunday service, a service that is already lightly used as it is (pre-covid). It's all well and good having all these bus links across town but if you can't get home after 7 o clock in an evening then unfortunately it rules the bus out for a lot of people.

The 153, the new 'Rosso' service, I think it'll be safe to assume that will more than likely be running with a standard fleet liveried bus.

Also, LCC say...
Transdev's The Burnley Bus Company will operate all these local bus services on behalf of the county council. The services will be branded as Pendle & Ribble...
We know there's Ribble Country, I wonder if there'll be a Pendle Country too?

RustySpoons

Some tweets about the new buses for the Ribble Country services. I hadn’t realised these are running under Rosso. It seems a strange that they change the legal on some Rosso busses then add other brands in.

Rosso drivers are payed less than those at Blackburn and Burnley still, which is still the cause of mild contention between drivers. The fact they can pay less in wages is probably a contributing factor in them winning the tenders.

SCH117X

Established Member
Publicly they are referring to them under the Burnley Bus Company. Re the 153 suspect it may be worked like the 784 by Transdev Go / PoN liveried vehicles.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Rosso drivers are payed less than those at Blackburn and Burnley still, which is still the cause of mild contention between drivers. The fact they can pay less in wages is probably a contributing factor in them winning the tenders.
They’ve had a lower rate in Lancs for drivers on many tenders/contract routes since the acquisition of Northern Blue.

JetBlast

RustySpoons

Do you think Alex has done this to put Connexions in a difficult position?

Knowing how petty BOTH companies can be towards one another at times it wouldn't surprise me.

Having said that most of the buses Connexions run into Harrogate and along Knaresborough Rd are all at least Euro 5 spec, and match the majority of vehicles Transdev use on the same route for now. Although when Transdev replace their Knaresborough fleet with electric vehicles I'm sure they'll use it to their advantage.

Although it is easy to proclaim you want a low emission zone when you've already got a fleet of super low emission/electric buses because you're 'the only company to have received grants for electric buses'. In the interests of fairness the same grants should be made available to other operators.

Cesarcollie

Knowing how petty BOTH companies can be towards one another at times it wouldn't surprise me.

Having said that most of the buses Connexions run into Harrogate and along Knaresborough Rd are all at least Euro 5 spec, and match the majority of vehicles Transdev use on the same route for now. Although when Transdev replace their Knaresborough fleet with electric vehicles I'm sure they'll use it to their advantage.

Although it is easy to proclaim you want a low emission zone when you've already got a fleet of super low emission/electric buses because you're 'the only company to have received grants for electric buses'. In the interests of fairness the same grants should be made available to other operators.
No. The biggest competitor to any bus company is the private car. It is the elements of this proposal that restrict access for private cars that will most benefit (both) bus companies.

Dusty_Bin

The same grants are open to all operators. Even with a grant, 25% of the infrastructure still has to be paid and only the difference of the cost from Euro 6 to Zero Emission (ZE) is covered. It’s easy to say in the interest of fairness but to be fair Connexions haven’t invested in ZE.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCH117X

Established Member
How practical is ZE to a low cost operator and setting that aside how practical is ZE to date when the Connexions depot is a c.14 miles from Harrogate and Aberford and 21 from Otley. The Euro 5 vehicles they have were IIRC so fitted by their previous owners and no doubt like most of their vehicles will be long gone after a handful of years

Established Member
The same grants are open to all operators. Even with a grant, 25% of the infrastructure still has to be paid and only the difference of the cost from Euro 6 to Zero Emission (ZE) is covered. It’s easy to say in the interest of fairness but to be fair Connexions haven’t invested in ZE.

The grants were available in very limited quantities after a competition (and I can't find anything about any scheme actually open now). Connexions can't just apply and get one tomorrow.

Dusty_Bin

The grants were available in very limited quantities after a competition (and I can't find anything about any scheme actually open now). Connexions can't just apply and get one tomorrow.
But the grants were open to all and each company had to bid for what they wanted. Looking at the last round of funding Transdev didn’t receive anything. At some point in the near future ZE will become the minimum requirement and all operators will have to invest.

How practical is ZE to a low cost operator and setting that aside how practical is ZE to date when the Connexions depot is a c.14 miles from Harrogate and Aberford and 21 from Otley. The Euro 5 vehicles they have were IIRC so fitted by their previous owners and no doubt like most of their vehicles will be long gone after a handful of years
I don’t know, probably the same as other operators that work outside of their immediate depot area.

I don’t disagree with your point, something will have to give.

Ashly_Jethro

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Remember to give a proper credit to the photographer if you're posting images that are not your own - "Not my image" is insufficient.

You should also bear in mind that images will be subject to copyright and shouldn't be posted here if you haven't obtained permission to use them.

Finally, when referencing posts from social media please quote the text in your post (no screenshots please).

RustySpoons

Had my first experience of one of the new Witch Ways earlier after I found myself stranded after dropping a vehicle off to a client.

A very impressive piece of kit. Absolutely no rattles or vibrations, a very quiet engine and smooth drive much better than the B9TLs they replaced. Aside from the odd alternating orange head rests the seats are fantastic, the seat back 'tech' with the wireless phone charger and coat hooks are a brilliant little feature. I'll admit I didn't leave my phone charging, so no idea how quick it'll have been, but I'm guessing relatively slow as these things generally are.

The stop button on the back of every seat saves looking around for one on the nearest pole - of which there's only one on the top deck. The seat back light is a neat little touch too. And it isn't a 'cold' light either, has a slightly warm tint to it. The clock on next stop display is one of them things that makes you wonder why something so simple hadn't been done before. It's the little things!

I'm not sure why such a fuss was made about Jennie McAlpine providing her voice for the next stop announcements. As we left Rawtenstall she welcomed us all to the bus, told us how clean, safe and ready to go everyone was, how we should wear a mask, to check out the Transdev Go app, and then she was replaced by a generic sounding local radio DJ-esq type chap who slightly mispronounced quite a few of the stop names. Jennie came back to tell us we'd all arrived back at Burnley. I thought she'd do them all?

One thing I noticed on the internal branding was the lack of any mention of the Saturday 'late' buses. Obviously they've not been running for the past 12 months, but it did mention the last bus back from Manchester being 11pm Monday - Saturday. Hopefully the post 11pm services will return in time on a weekend!

All in all it's a brilliant bus, and aside from the incohesive next stop announcements it really couldn't be faulted. And in all honesty, if you're relying on the next stop announcement who really cares who the voice is?

Ironically, my onward journey to the lock up was provided by a Mainline Versa. Which in comparison was quite uncomfortable, noisy and pretty rattly. My final journey home was on one of the faithful old B10s. Warm, comfortable and aside from a noisier engine was just as rattle free and refined as the E400, although really starting to show it's age internally.