• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

markymark2000

On Moderation
Do we think Transdev would still do independant buyouts or do we think they would only look at getting some routes/areas off the big companies?

I always think that the Leeds - Wetherby route would be perfect for Transdev. Really slot into their network well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Do we think Transdev would still do independant buyouts or do we think they would only look at getting some routes/areas off the big companies?

I always think that the Leeds - Wetherby route would be perfect for Transdev. Really slot into their network well.
You can say that about... Todmorden and the Calder Valley routes, the X84, or many other routes/places. There are loads of routes that are tendrils into other territory but I don't see why First would be pulling the X98/99. Arguably, it was always a bit odd that the Wetherby to Leeds routes were split between Rider and Harrogate & District in 1990 as they were and that the 760 (as was) could've been a YR route.

markymark2000

On Moderation
You can say that about... Todmorden and the Calder Valley routes, the X84, or many other routes/places. There are loads of routes that are tendrils into other territory but I don't see why First would be pulling the X98/99. Arguably, it was always a bit odd that the Wetherby to Leeds routes were split between Rider and Harrogate & District in 1990 as they were and that the 760 (as was) could've been a YR route.
Yes, I'll give you that. You're right.

Ant158

In East Lancashire there aren’t that many operators left to take over. They now have pretty much all the local bus routes in Burnley and most major routes in Blackburn etc.

Wonder if the remaining Ribble Valley services such as Clitheroe to Longridge etc, would fall under Ribble Country, but I think these contracts with Holmeswood and Pilkingtons still have years to run. Transdev could take Pilkington Bus, but they never seem interested in Accrington apart from trunk routes, and if they did would probably close the depot and run it from Intack anyway, probably offloading the schools work in the process.

M60lad

Interesting tweet from Alex Hornby this afternoon:

We will be cautiously (but hopefully irreversibly) reducing restrictions around seated capacity on our buses from next Monday 17 May in line with the roadmap to hopeful normality (whatever that is!). Full details announced tomorrow. All part of safely getting everyone #BACKtoBUS.

To be honest I thought social distancing wasn't being relaxed that much from next week if it is well we can only hope other companies follow suit.

This fails to acknowledge the fact that Preston is a very important part of Rotala and their North West business and they are also committed to expanding their business, especially given the threat to their Manchester business.

I don't see Rotala selling up anytime soon
I was on Preston Bus Solo 20919 yesterday and the rolling information screen said " welcome to Wessex Red".

asw22

3 hours 45 minute

3 hours 45 minutes it took.
Sadly I don't have any timetables but our family used to catch the 841 to Bridlington or Filey in the summer holidays during the 1990s (probably 1992 to 1997) - due to the school holiday roads being quieter and local passengers letting the service go past it was fairly quick between Keighley, Bradford and Leeds and the timetable was fairly accurate.
I seem to recall at one point it was daily Mon to Sat, although this reduced to Wed and Sat and then just Sat only in the later years.
One year it ran via Otley, Harrogate and Knaresborough instead of Bradford and Leeds. I think the service lasted till 2003 or 2004 (it passed me when I started my first main job).

It was a memorable experience climbing Garrowby Hill in a A reg Olympian at "walking pace" though the G reg Lynxes seemed ok with it.
But we avoided travelling when York races were on as the return journey coincided with the end of race day traffic jams.
Some fond memories of Filey and Bridlington from the 1990s but the journey added to the experience.

Last edited:

David Verity

Interesting tweet from Alex Hornby this afternoon:

We will be cautiously (but hopefully irreversibly) reducing restrictions around seated capacity on our buses from next Monday 17 May in line with the roadmap to hopeful normality (whatever that is!). Full details announced tomorrow. All part of safely getting everyone #BACKtoBUS.

To be honest I thought social distancing wasn't being relaxed that much from next week if it is well we can only hope other companies follow suit.
Here's the official line:

The Department for Transport has accepted a risk-based case produced by the Confederation of Passenger Transport (CPT) for the use of every forward-facing seat on bus services in England. As a result, that will be permitted outside London from Monday 17 May where capacity is currently constrained on busy journeys.

While the change will be welcomed by operators that have seen difficulties on certain trips, CPT has been careful to stress that the development does not represent a ‘big bang’ approach of a return to full capacity across the board.

The Confederation adds that the relaxation – agreed by Under-Secretary of State for Transport Baroness Vere – is in response to issues experienced on some journeys under the current limitation that allows around 40-45% of a bus’s total seating to be used. Demand is expected to further increase shortly as further restrictions in England are lifted. Rear- and side-facing seats still should not be used after 17 May, however.

Last edited by a moderator:

asw22

The predecessor company, West Yorkshire Road Car Company, had both the current 7 and X98 X99 routes (under different route numbers) until 1990 when the routes were split between Blazefield (7) and Yorkshire Rider (X98 X99). Both routes have had different numbers over the years.
At one point the X98 X99 were numbered 798 799 etc and extended to Knaresborough.
The 7 for a while was part of 760 Keighley Leeds wetherby until around 2005 when the 770 linked wetherby with Harrogate and Leeds.

citybus2500

and before the 760 went to Wetherby, it was the 741 for the Leeds-Wetherby section.

When Blazefield sold the West Yorkshire bits to Rider, they chose to keep the 741 as it was profitable. The 798/799 less so.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
They already have the Leeds-Wetherby-Harrogate 7 service.
As I mentioned before, when West Yorkshire Road Car was split up in 1990, what is now the X98/99 (was 798/799?) went to Yorkshire Rider and that is the route from Wetherby to Leeds end to end.

The other route (can't recall its old number) but it was retained by AJS/Blazefield as the 760, before becoming Transdev's 7. However, whilst it may have Wetherby and Leeds as end points, it really isn't for that flow but a range of different flows. So Leeds to Bramham and Boston Spa, and Wetherby to Thorner, and many other trips.

I would assume that it stayed with AJS/Blazefield because it had a common route with the 78 (Harrogate to Tadcaster) between Wetherby and Boston Spa.

EDIT: typed this whilst @asw22 and @citybus2500 were posting :D

Ken H

On Moderation
As I mentioned before, when West Yorkshire Road Car was split up in 1990, what is now the X98/99 (was 798/799?) went to Yorkshire Rider and that is the route from Wetherby to Leeds end to end.

The other route (can't recall its old number) but it was retained by AJS/Blazefield as the 760, before becoming Transdev's 7. However, whilst it may have Wetherby and Leeds as end points, it really isn't for that flow but a range of different flows. So Leeds to Bramham and Boston Spa, and Wetherby to Thorner, and many other trips.

I would assume that it stayed with AJS/Blazefield because it had a common route with the 78 (Harrogate to Tadcaster) between Wetherby and Boston Spa.

EDIT: typed this whilst @asw22 and @citybus2500 were posting :D
1966, it was:-
38 Leeds - Scarcroft - Wetherby - Knaresborough
39/39A Leeds - East Keswick - Linton or Collingham - Wetherby
41 Leeds - Thorner - Boston Spa
42 Leeds - Thorner - Boston Spa - Tadcaster

The 38's and 39's made a combined 15 minute frequency. The 41/42 was hourly to Boston Spa with roughly half going to Tad and Wetherby each with a few odds and ends short workings.

There was a 78 Skipton - Harrogate - Wetherby - Tadcaster to do the Harrogate - Wetherby journies

Link to image of 1966 WYRCC* time table - https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer?token=98d04778-ea41-4f08-be2f-b5bc9fd9b22e
There are 1974 and 1977 WY metro leeds timetables on timetable world too. They have all services in Leeds district, incl WYRCC

*West Yorkshire Road Car Company

RustySpoons

A potentially serious safety and security issue has unfortunately been raised in Keighley...

TELEGRAPH & ARGUS LINK: Youths appear to try stealing Keighley bus before being chased off

Youths appear to try stealing Keighley bus before being chased off​

A QUICK-thinking mini cab driver has captured on video the moment two teenagers appeared to attempt to steal a bus yesterday morning.

The youngsters - whose ages looked to be between 13 and 18 according to the driver - were seen in a 662 Keighley Shuttle bus with its engine running as it was being moved backwards and forwards.

The article goes on to say that the bus was parked there overnight, which is probably incorrect, more than likely it had been moved onto the road awaiting a driver. Although as it appears the scrotes attempting to go for a joyride couldn't fathom out the 'D' and 'R' buttons it's unlikely they'd have the intelligence to start it, so I wonder if it was left with the engine running...?

RustySpoons

This might seem a stupid question, but do busses have keys?
No such thing as a stupid question!

The majority of them don't. Quite a few have some form of immobiliser or 'secret button' hidden somewhere on the dash that needs to be pressed before it'll start but I'm not sure if Blazefield have anything of the sort fitted to their fleet. Unless the engine was left running on this one I'd assume not though otherwise there's a high chance they'd have been unable to get it started.

Ken H

On Moderation
A potentially serious safety and security issue has unfortunately been raised in Keighley...

TELEGRAPH & ARGUS LINK: Youths appear to try stealing Keighley bus before being chased off

The article goes on to say that the bus was parked there overnight, which is probably incorrect, more than likely it had been moved onto the road awaiting a driver. Although as it appears the scrotes attempting to go for a joyride couldn't fathom out the 'D' and 'R' buttons it's unlikely they'd have the intelligence to start it, so I wonder if it was left with the engine running...?
Leaving a vehicle unattended with engine running is an offence.

JetBlast

leaving a vehicle unattended with engine running is an offence.
That might not have happened.

The majority of them don't. Quite a few have some form of immobiliser or 'secret button' hidden somewhere on the dash that needs to be pressed before it'll start but I'm not sure if Blazefield have anything of the sort fitted to their fleet. Unless the engine was left running on this one I'd assume not though otherwise there's a high chance they'd have been unable to get it started.
It surprises me a little. I would have thought they have a key system and the drivers have a single key that can start any bus.

HarryL

The taxi driver that caught them says he heard the engine and reversing beeps and went out to check, so presumably the two managed to start the engine somehow instead of it being left on.

Is getting in as simple as pressing the red button next to the door or is there a more complicated way of doing it when the bus isn't on?

darloscott

That might not have happened.

It surprises me a little. I would have thought they have a key system and the drivers have a single key that can start any bus.
Some buses do have keys (Scania’s for example) but most do not and are usually a mix of buttons, some more intricate than others!

spuddie

I'm not sure about the B7's but I know the B10B's and B10BLE's used to have nice big obvious 'Start' buttons on the dashboard.

Andyh82

Established Member
It was the first day of the new summer timetable on Coastliner today

Looks like the 840 to Whitby is being run from York depot, and 2773/2780 are both on the service today, these being the ones with the Whitby branding

The 843 and the 840 to Thornton le Dale is all in the hands of the Gemini 3s and also grey E400MMC 2019 which must now be at Malton

johntea

Established Member
If you have the Transdev Go app installed (and were signed up before today) they've very kindly placed a free day ticket in your account for use within the next 4 months valid on any of their services :)

So a nice day trip to the coast for free sorted!

route101

Established Member
If you have the Transdev Go app installed (and were signed up before today) they've very kindly placed a free day ticket in your account for use within the next 4 months valid on any of their services :)

Think I missed out on that. Just reinstalled the app and logged in. No sign of the ticket.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I've already planned a trip across the Pennines, hopefully to do next week. Initially I wanted to go from the East Coast to the westernmost bit of their network at Preston but that doesn't quite look doable in a day (at least not starting in Newcastle), so I've settled for starting at York instead. I might have to report back on here afterwards!

RustySpoons

I've already planned a trip across the Pennines, hopefully to do next week. Initially I wanted to go from the East Coast to the westernmost bit of their network at Preston but that doesn't quite look doable in a day (at least not starting in Newcastle), so I've settled for starting at York instead. I might have to report back on here afterwards!
Please do! I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys reading a trip report.

asw22

The first 662 journey of the day is at 0515 from Keighley and it looks like daylight (in the pictures / video) so possibly moved out from depot.

SCH117X

Established Member
A year late; the Saturday only 59 Harrogate-Skipton service started yesterday with "We Love Harrogate" Gemini 2774 on the duty despite pre launch publicity featuring an ex National Express President.