• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
The new Transdev front page looks much better, and makes it clear which company to click on by showing the most common town names they serve in the image

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Specifically, that bus says "Calder Country".

If I has to guess, a successor to the "Calder Cubs" sub-brand?
Cubs was just minibuses round Halifax wasn't it? I'd guess Calder Country will be for all Calderdale routes. Of course those branded Solos were often seen in Huddersfield, several miles away from the Calder. The same will probably still happen assuming the 549 will continue to be operated predominantly out of Elland.

I am a bit sceptical of the value of all these different brands, but it (route branding, sub-brands etc.) does seem quite widespread in the bus sector generally- so I assume there's data to suggest it works when done correctly. At least so far there hasn't been any weird Trent Barton-esque messing around with decimal route numbers, or worse, giving routes names instead (was thinking here of the "Spira" between Sutton-in-Ashfield and Chesterfield. To me, Spira is a chocolate bar!).

Not that it did TB any harm, and I always thought their services were pretty good. But their silly numbers/names seemed like being different for the sake of it to me.

Last edited:

JetBlast

Information contained within tweets should be posted within quote tags. It should be noted that text contained within images is completely unreadable to those with disabilities who use certain devices or software in order to read the forum. Ideally, a transcription of the text should be provided. Of course, it would have been helpful if the person who tweeted that list also realised this. Do please avoid posting images of text in future.

That wouldn't have been possible on a smartphone. It would have been a challenge on a computer - recreating a whole table isn't a quick job. It was a case of posting a link or nothing at all.

or worse, giving routes names instead

They did this with the Red4. It didn't have a route number.

Last edited:

RustySpoons

That wouldn't have been possible on a smartphone. It would have been a challenge on a computer - recreating a whole table isn't a quick job. It was a case of posting a link or nothing at all.
I did try and recreate it in a table, but as the original list didn't exist anywhere other than an image it did indeed become too much of an effort to manually type it all out again in a format that made sense so scrapped the idea!

They did this with the Red4. It didn't have a route number.
Along with Castleline in York, Wizz in Burnley and CityZap.

317 forever

Established Member
New Transdev web site has gone live https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/ - once you have navigated down the page pass the glossy video each operation gets a graphic link with Team Pennine included and on which a bus has Calder something branding
The new website has the advantage of having links at the bottom of each page to Flyer as well as Team Pennine. These had been missing before.

TRAX

Established Member
The new website has the advantage of having links at the bottom of each page to Flyer as well as Team Pennine. These had been missing before.
Transdev Bus UK’s uniformised branding should be a marketing lesson and example for every aspiring bus company.

CHA 81C

Team Pennine had a very poor start on my local route. No buses at all between 11 30 and 15 30, with no updates on Twitter or their disruptions page, and impossible to contact them by phone.

johntea

Established Member
I think there is a wider scale issue of driver shortage recently due to 'pingdemic'

It has highlighted a large issue with their app; the live departures seems unable to show cancelled services. You can usually tell if a service is cancelled if the departure time isn't showing in 'green' (real time tracking) within 10 minutes of the scheduled time it is meant to be turning up at a stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dusty_Bin

I think there is a wider scale issue of driver shortage recently due to 'pingdemic'

It has highlighted a large issue with their app, the live departures seems unable to show cancelled services, you can usually tell if a service is cancelled if the departure time isn't showing in 'green' (real time tracking) within 10 minutes of the scheduled time it is meant to be turning up at a stop
Certainly some depots have suffered with the pingdemic with as many as 15 additional self isolators per day at each location causing operational issues.

I understand that today’s issues at Tiger are vehicle related and solely to do with Transdev not allowing unroadworthy vehicles out on service.

RustySpoons

Certainly some depots have suffered with the pingdemic with as many as 15 additional self isolators per day at each location causing operational issues.

I understand that today’s issues at Tiger are vehicle related and solely to do with Transdev not allowing unroadworthy vehicles out on service.

A bad start but a good start at the same time in that case!

Stan Drews

Established Member

Well, if the previous owners were happy to send unroadworthy vehicles out in service, thank goodness someone more responsible is in charge!
It sounds like they have quite a challenge to turn things around!!

M803UYA

If correct, this is a carbon copy of what happened when D&G took over some of Midlands North's vehicles and services earlier this year. They were unable to achieve service due to the number of acquired Arriva buses being declared unfit for service!

I guess Transdev are fortunate in having spare vehicles available due a reduction in schools for the coming weeks, but if they'd looked at what happened with D&G they'd have seen this situation coming. I guess if you're getting rid of vehicles they're not going to be the highest priority for 'repairs' but it's a raw deal for the purchaser!

RELL6L

Unrelated to Team Pennine but there appear to have been three boards on the 662 run by double deckers today. I have never heard of a decker on this route (the "Shuttle") and I realise the buses may be available due to it being school holidays - is this a one-off or a new thing? Still one decker on the 62/67 boards but none on the 62/64 boards which are separate.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'd take that with a huge pinch of salt. For all its faults I can't believe that Yorkshire Tiger would let unfit buses out in service. The fact is when buses transfer en Masse to a new operator there are always teething problems due to differing maintenance regimes and standards.

Showing off a couple of your "new" buses and telling everyone how "awesome" you are is counter-productive if you can't provide a service.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd take that with a huge pinch of salt. For all its faults I can't believe that Yorkshire Tiger would let unfit buses out in service. The fact is when buses transfer en Masse to a new operator there are always teething problems due to differing maintenance regimes and standards.

Showing off a couple of your "new" buses and telling everyone how "awesome" you are is counter-productive if you can't provide a service.
Well, the new buses on the Denby Darts D1 have been looking good as they show off the new look around HD8. Not seen a single ex-Tiger bus yet, but I'm sure they're still about somewhere... probably on the 435/436 but I've not crossed paths with one yet.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Unrelated to Team Pennine but there appear to have been three boards on the 662 run by double deckers today. I have never heard of a decker on this route (the "Shuttle") and I realise the buses may be available due to it being school holidays - is this a one-off or a new thing? Still one decker on the 62/67 boards but none on the 62/64 boards which are separate.
There are regularly double deckers on the 662 when they expect it to be busy, most regularly when Bradford City AFC are playing at home, also when the Bingley music festivals are on. The 62/67 regularly gets a decker. The 62/64 can't due to a low bridge.

overthewater

Established Member

Didn't this happen as well last time Transdev brought over a company IE Rosso?

Andyh82

Established Member
Of course we’ve only had one report of a handful of journeys not operating up to now.

You’d like to think that with Yorkshire Tiger being part of Arriva, there is a relatively high standard of maintenance going on, even if the exterior of the vehicles was often scruffy. It’s not like Tiger were a dodgy independent.

Ashly_Jethro

No they really were that bad. Numerous drivers admitted they shouldn’t be on the road with some even saying they were forced to drive vehicles despite the dash being lit like a Christmas tree. And given the rate they broke down I can’t say I’m surprised. You could also interpret it as they shouldn’t be in service if you know it’s likely gonna break down. So I guess there’s two ways you could look at it.

Well, if the previous owners were happy to send unroadworthy vehicles out in service, thank goodness someone more responsible is in charge!
It sounds like they have quite a challenge to turn things around!!
I honestly do feel bad for the ones having to pick up the pieces. I’ve been told by management that they’ll likely see random spares knocking about to cover the shortfall. Harrogate B7s were mentioned as an example. Likely the same way Coastliners were used to cover the 36 whilst their B7s were out for refurb.

Swimbar

I think that people making allegations that Tiger were using 'unroadworthy' vehicles in service need to provide some evidence to support their statements, or is this the usual mess room tittle tattle at other operators?
Transdev Harrogate had a number of vehicle fires but that doesn't mean they were turning out 'unroadworthy vehicles'

SCH117X

Established Member
Whatever at least its the right time with a number of vehicles spare over the summer holidays although presumably that availability is timed for MOTs for them or other vehicles that they can cover for.

cnjb8

Established Member
Unroadworthy is probably too strong a word for this, but the buses are one hundred percent not to Transdev standard. Arriva nationwide rolls out buses in an awful state, they are a mess, as well documented. Team Pennine wants a good start, sending out those buses is not going to help at all

SCH117X

Established Member
Transdev Bus UK’s uniformised branding should be a marketing lesson and example for every aspiring bus company.
To be precise its Transdev Blazefield. Transdev UK has covered a number of operations albeit now seemingly limited only also to CCH Aviation Logistics

Any evidence you need of an unworthy vehicle can be gained from taking a look at/ having a ride on 1602. I had it on 232/231 on Saturday. It was tilted back, with the body resting on the offside rear wheel, which was touching the inside of the wheel arch. Every time we pulled of there was a loud screeching followed by some rather strange sounds.

When I got off that at Waterloo, a Centro pulled up behind with the back of the bus about 8 inches closer to the ground than the front.

I encountered a Solo on the 577 climbing up a hill and practically came to a stop several times as it passed me struggling.

That being said, I've always found the Cadets to be the most enjoyable, and quickest vehicles to ride in the fleet. Some of them go like the clappers.

peterblue

I rode on Team Pennine yesterday. The Denby Dart D1 route had about 20 on board and was fairly busy. It seemed to be refurbished to a decent standard. There were some road closures yesterday so we were diverted via Shepley into Skelmanthorpe & Denby Dale.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think that people making allegations that Tiger were using 'unroadworthy' vehicles in service need to provide some evidence to support their statements, or is this the usual mess room tittle tattle at other operators?
Transdev Harrogate had a number of vehicle fires but that doesn't mean they were turning out 'unroadworthy vehicles'
Exactly.

Unroadworthy is probably too strong a word for this, but the buses are one hundred percent not to Transdev standard. Arriva nationwide rolls out buses in an awful state, they are a mess, as well documented. Team Pennine wants a good start, sending out those buses is not going to help at all
But they will have known this and if they had a policy of not sending buses out on the first day not up to Transdev standard they should have concentrated on getting a full service on the road rather than the launch, which could have waited.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The new buses on D1 really are a class above anything that's run along those routes before. However, I do have a few minor gripes.
Firstly, I've just seen a bus heading towards Denby Dale with Huddersfield on the front. Assuming that the destination display and audio announcements are linked, won't that cause the announcements to go out of sync?
Secondly, there's a cartoon of Jordan Rhodes inside, describing him as a "one-time Huddersfield Town player" but he rejoined the club two months ago!
Thirdly, the run around Gilthwaites is omitted from the maps.
Fourthly and finally, I had no idea that the Kirklees Light Railway had rebranded itself as "Whistlestop Valley Railway" but that's what it appears on the map as. This bit isn't a criticism of Transdev obviously, but that's just about the most cringeworthy name they could have come up with!

One extra minor issue, Chris Schindler's cartoon says he helped secure promotion to the Premier League in 2016, but it was 2017. They may be referring to when he joined, but the wording is poor.

Also, I wonder if the businesses mentioned in the audio announcements have paid to be included?

Last edited:

Ashly_Jethro

The new buses on D1 really are a class above anything that's run along those routes before. However, I do have a few minor gripes.
Firstly, I've just seen a bus heading towards Denby Dale with Huddersfield on the front. Assuming that the destination display and audio announcements are linked, won't that cause the announcements to go out of sync?
Secondly, there's a cartoon of Jordan Rhodes inside, describing him as a "one-time Huddersfield Town player" but he rejoined the club two months ago!
Thirdly, the run around Gilthwaites is omitted from the maps.
Fourthly and finally, I had no idea that the Kirklees Light Railway had rebranded itself as "Whistlestop Valley Railway" but that's what it appears on the map as. This bit isn't a criticism of Transdev obviously, but that's just about the most cringeworthy name they could have come up with!

Also, I wonder if the businesses mentioned in the audio announcements have paid to be included?
I expect the old Tiger drivers aren’t used to the new desti controls yet, though from memory, the stops are linked vi GPS and if for any reason the stops are missed (bus off route) or are in the wrong order then the announcements won’t be “read out” if you will.

I doubt they get any money out of it, it’s mainly to help the public know which is the best stop to get to the supermarket etc

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I expect the old Tiger drivers aren’t used to the new desti controls yet, though from memory, the stops are linked vi GPS and if for any reason the stops are missed (bus off route) or are in the wrong order then the announcements won’t be “read out” if you will.

I doubt they get any money out of it, it’s mainly to help the public know which is the best stop to get to the supermarket etc
That does tie in with what happened on the diversion heading out of Skelmanthorpe (along Cumberworth Road/Ponker Lane and Shelley Woodhouse Lane, not via Shepley as a previous poster said*). The audio announcements did not play during the diversion, and the screens kept the normal next stop displayed until the bus rejoined the usual route. Once back on route, the announcements resumed at the correct place and the internal displays also updated correctly.

Signs are good that we might actually see an improvement here. First and Arriva (who in my opinion aren't too bad, round Batley and Dewsbury at least) should be quaking in their boots!