• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They've never been entirely great at receiving criticism (depending on who it's from), but I've noticed that lately they've been getting worse. There's been quite a few needlessly snotty and passive aggressive Tweets from both the company accounts and management in reply to some genuine questions people have had recently, including one from Alex Hornby that ended 'I suggest you leave us alone' because it was pointed out that part of the driver shortage they're having was due to the new LCC contracts being taken on without enough drivers.

It isn't helped at all when some of the younger enthusiasts (who can be quite intense with their defending of the company) wade in and try and stick up for them, not realising the people they're getting aggressive with are just members of the public who are rightly annoyed that their bus isn't where it should be. It's embarrassing to read at times.

It's almost as though there's so much praise being banded about in the social media echo chamber between the '10% club' and a few others that anyone else's opinion is automatically wrong and worthless. They'll lay in to an operator who has contravision or third party advertising on their buses, operates a bus with Urban 90 seats or rattles, or sends a bus out in an anonymous livery or with a piece of paper in the windscreen yet when anyone points out, correctly I may add, that Transdev do all of the above they're instantly shot down/ignored/blocked.
Thing like this just reinforce my opinion that Twitter is not the venue for dealing with customer service issues, and having a few good people manning your company Twitter account is not an excuse for that to be your only communication tool.

I'll never understand the mentality of "company fanboys" regardless of which industry is involved. It's cringeworthy enough when it's Apple or Tesla, let alone a relatively small bus operator.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Some of the members are strange, the MD for Arriva in Milton Keynes?
It's not the illuminati - they are a bunch of like minded bus company managers who seem to share common views. Simon Mathieseon has been at Arriva for many years and NX before that.
They've never been entirely great at receiving criticism (depending on who it's from), but I've noticed that lately they've been getting worse. There's been quite a few needlessly snotty and passive aggressive Tweets from both the company accounts and management in reply to some genuine questions people have had recently, including one from Alex Hornby that ended 'I suggest you leave us alone' because it was pointed out that part of the driver shortage they're having was due to the new LCC contracts being taken on without enough drivers.

It isn't helped at all when some of the younger enthusiasts (who can be quite intense with their defending of the company) wade in and try and stick up for them, not realising the people they're getting aggressive with are just members of the public who are rightly annoyed that their bus isn't where it should be. It's embarrassing to read at times.

It's almost as though there's so much praise being banded about in the social media echo chamber between the '10% club' and a few others that anyone else's opinion is automatically wrong and worthless. They'll lay in to an operator who has contravision or third party advertising on their buses, operates a bus with Urban 90 seats or rattles, or sends a bus out in an anonymous livery or with a piece of paper in the windscreen yet when anyone points out, correctly I may add, that Transdev do all of the above they're instantly shot down/ignored/blocked.
It's also fair to point out that there are plenty of other enthusiasts (including some on this forum) who are equally as vociferous about their negative views of Transdev. Mind you, still doesn't excuse the fanboys getting bent out of shape. As always, the truth is usually somewhere in between. Transdev don't always get it right and in respect of Team Pennine, particularly, they have made a couple of poor decisions, and they should be big enough to deal with polite and well-directed (and accurate) criticism. Transdev use Twitter extensively and should be able to cope with a few critical posts, and they shouldn't arbitrarily block people for deigning to complain.

However, in the one that you cite, it wasn't an average question from an everyday member of the public - it was in response to trolling. One person had questioned how many drivers leave (against the figure that AH was quoting) which is fair enough. It was another individual who chipped in and said "I'd be supprised (sic) if you get an answer", and then stated it was partly because of the Ribble Country contracts that were won months ago. The full response from AH was as follows "Lee - you usually don't get an answer because you work for a competitor and you are clearly after a reaction, rather than being productive. I suggest you leave us alone. Thank you." - a slightly different matter than you suggest.

Having experienced, albeit on a fleeting unscientific basis, a number of firms across the big 4 and smaller outfits, Transdev are definitely one of the better operators and I'm not talking about pretty liveries etc. Not perfect by any stretch, and as I've said before, I'm not keen on AH's (self) promotion. However, in comparison to other operators, they are definitely better than most.
Struggling to see how brexit stopped HGV and PSV tests. That was a covid thing. And paying bus and lorry drivers a few pence over minimum wage won't be helping either.
@RELL6L didn't suggest Brexit stopped tests taking place. However, the fact is that in both LGV and PCV realms, a lot of drivers (and other individuals) headed back home to Eastern Europe when the pandemic struck. Because of Brexit, they cannot readily return and that shortage is exacerbated by the inability to recruit and train drivers. Brexit was designed to stop freedom of movement and that was key to staffing driver vacancies in the past.

SCH117X

Established Member
A scan through their twitter feeds shows a number of complaints plainly not blocked; a common response seems to be to offer a free day ticket and stating cancellations are shown on the Transdev Go app (the latter is questionable)

Swimbar

Alex Hornby posting on twitter that Arriva have loaned some vehicles to Team Pennine to help with their vehicle shortage. Pictured vehicles appear to be from Arriva North West

SCH117X

Established Member
Arriva North West Solos 680 CX58FYZ and 714 MX12KVK according to the West Yorkshire Information Service fleet list https://www.wyis.org.uk/ 680 in current Arriva livery being of 28 seats and 714 in old livery of 35 seats

northernchris

Established Member
The problems aren't entirely within their control. At least in part the shortage of drivers is due to a complacent government that cannot bear to acknowledge B****t as having any negative effects at all and therefore finds it very difficult to actually address them.

But what is in their control is (1) how they choose to prioritise what gets run and what gets chopped and (2) how to publicise this. Transdev, notably Team Pennine, do not appear to be making that good a fist of the first part and certainly not the second.

Oh there's no doubt that the driver shortage is out of their control, and is something which can't be resolved immediately. However, the lack of communication is indefensible now. Other bus operators are in the same situation with lack of drivers, reduced timetables and congestion increasing but are still managing to get some info out. If a journey is cancelled the very least the operator should be doing is communicating this through as many channels as possible
A scan through their twitter feeds shows a number of complaints plainly not blocked; a common response seems to be to offer a free day ticket and stating cancellations are shown on the Transdev Go app (the latter is questionable)

If you search latest on Twitter you can see all tweets which have been sent to the account and it's very clear they don't respond to everyone. In the case of Keighley they used to be really good at using social media to post service updates so it is disappointing there's been a change in direction. For a business that manages to shove 'amazing' in to just about every sentence they fail to live up to the hype they create

SCH117X

Established Member
Last edited:

RustySpoons

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The #saveourwindows ‘campaign’ is actually something I do agree with them on, but even they only include three sides of the bus in it. Admittedly you don’t generally look out of rear windows much, but they do still let light in, and may be helpful if sat at at the back to look for certain landmarks to know where you are. Which surprised me when I saw these:

And a bonus one for when they talk about the negativity of third party adverts, along with blocking windows.

(Links to photos of Team Pennine buses with branding covering the vast majority of rear window)

Last edited:

RustySpoons

The #saveourwindows ‘campaign’ is actually something I do agree with them on, but even they only include three sides of the bus in it. Admittedly you don’t generally look out of rear windows much, but they do still let light in, and may be helpful if sat at at the back to look for certain landmarks to know where you are. Which surprised me when I saw these:

And a bonus one for when they talk about the negativity of third party adverts, along with blocking windows.

(Links to photos of Team Pennine buses with branding covering the vast majority of rear window)

There's a couple of the B10s in Burnley that have massive vinyls over the rear windows. It's surprising just how dark and dull it makes the interiors. It makes them feel almost as claustrophobic as a Versa.

There's also this Dart that is still operating in Burnley that would probably be torn to bits if it belonged to another operator...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The #saveourwindows ‘campaign’ is actually something I do agree with them on, but even they only include three sides of the bus in it. Admittedly you don’t generally look out of rear windows much, but they do still let light in, and may be helpful if sat at at the back to look for certain landmarks to know where you are.
If you're looking out the back of a bus window, you aren't looking for certain landmarks to know where you are. You're looking at where you were and the stop you've just missed.

Are you really suggesting that you could fail to look out of the front of the bus, fail to look out of the side of a bus, and then chastise the operator because you can't see York Minster out of the back of it?
There's a couple of the B10s in Burnley that have massive vinyls over the rear windows. It's surprising just how dark and dull it makes the interiors. It makes them feel almost as claustrophobic as a Versa.
Does it really make them so claustrophobic? And it's a valid point to say that we have had plenty of designs with either small (ALX400) or no rear windows - Optare Versa, Optare Solo as well as various Northern Counties Palatines and Alexander Royales, Scania Omnidekkas or indeed, e400mmcs.

Windscreens and side windows - yes, they should be unobstructed but rear windows....it's a non issue.

Andyh82

Established Member
Talking about things that would be criticised if it was another operator

I went on a Pride of the North B7RLE today, one that is helping out at Team Pennine, and it still carried cove adverts inside advertising the Leeds to Manchester Cityzap

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I went on a Pride of the North B7RLE today, one that is helping out at Team Pennine, and it still carried cove adverts inside advertising the Leeds to Manchester Cityzap
That’s something I’ve mentioned before. The 36 fleet are similarly afflicted - post #1633

Flange Squeal

Established Member
If you're looking out the back of a bus window, you aren't looking for certain landmarks to know where you are. You're looking at where you were and the stop you've just missed.

Are you really suggesting that you could fail to look out of the front of the bus, fail to look out of the side of a bus, and then chastise the operator because you can't see York Minster out of the back of it?
No I’m not suggesting that at all, hence at no point did I mention sightseeing. I made reference to landmarks along a journey. This could be anything from a sign to passing a particular shop.

I just know I have in the past looked out of the rear window to get a look at the name of a bus stop we are departing from/passing, in order to get an idea of where we are along the route in an unfamiliar area or, particularly at night, it’s possible to lose track of where you are. Movement means you can’t always focus on the name on a flag out of a side window as you pull away (or because the angle on a single decker close to the flag means you’d need a window in the roof to look up at that angle), or sat half way along the vehicle see them out the front, but looking out the back gives you a better view of them. It’s not always possible to sit right at the front.

But then I guess it’s irrelevant, as you’ve told me I never do this on a bus, so you must know me better than I know myself.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
No I’m not suggesting that at all, hence at no point did I mention sightseeing. I made reference to landmarks along a journey. This could be anything from a sign to passing a particular shop.

I just know I have in the past looked out of the rear window to get a look at the name of a bus stop we are departing from/passing, in order to get an idea of where we are along the route in an unfamiliar area or, particularly at night, it’s possible to lose track of where you are. Movement means you can’t always focus on the name on a flag out of a side window as you pull away (or because the angle on a single decker close to the flag means you’d need a window in the roof to look up at that angle), or sat half way along the vehicle see them out the front, but looking out the back gives you a better view of them. It’s not always possible to sit right at the front.

But then I guess it’s irrelevant, as you’ve told me I never do this on a bus, so you must know me better than I know myself.
How do you cope on a Solo?

You may well be atypical and are looking out of the back window; most people don’t.

Super rear adverts have been commonplace for the last 30+ years, and there are plenty of current and former designs with no rear window at all.

Last edited:

Andyh82

Established Member
The Holmfirth Explorer Optare Tempos 1405-1407 have been reregistered H5/6/7XPL

None of them were actually on the X1 today though, and in unusual news, they actually had a full set of services running today in Huddersfield.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
How do you cope on a Solo?

You may well be atypical and are looking out of the back window; most people don’t.
Either politely ask the driver if they could possibly let me know when we reach x location as I don't know the area (and promptly get dropped off a mile past it when they remember, having been busy dealing with the task of driving in the meantime), or if I have charge and signal on my phone then might be able to load Google Maps. More often than not though I just use the car in unfamiliar areas, as public transport simply isn't passenger friendly to non-locals in many areas. The sooner more operators adopt next stop displays and announcements, the better. It would certainly offer more confidence to passengers, speaking as a passenger. But I fear we are drifting away from the subject slightly now. I'm glad that you have been able to conduct a survey into the habits of most passengers though, although I have definitely seen other passengers looking out of rear windows. Does make you wonder why some manufacturers bother adding back windows to vehicles if they are completely superfluous though. A solid rear panel, as per models you rightfully highlight, would presumably be cheaper to manufacture (and possibly less weight?) than inserting an unnecessary pane of glass, as well as possibly slightly lower running costs for operators in terms of replacement glazing/leaking seals over time?

RustySpoons

Does it really make them so claustrophobic? And it's a valid point to say that we have had plenty of designs with either small (ALX400) or no rear windows - Optare Versa, Optare Solo as well as various Northern Counties Palatines and Alexander Royales, Scania Omnidekkas or indeed, e400mmcs.

Windscreens and side windows - yes, they should be unobstructed but rear windows....it's a non issue.

It does for me. I was never a fan of the rear lower deck of the Plaxton Presidents or either the first or second generation Witch Ways and it's one of the reasons I've never been keen on the Optares.

Incidentally, I believe the B5s at Harrogate and Coastliner do actually have a rear lower deck window, only they're covered by the branding.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Either politely ask the driver if they could possibly let me know when we reach x location as I don't know the area (and promptly get dropped off a mile past it when they remember, having been busy dealing with the task of driving in the meantime), or if I have charge and signal on my phone then might be able to load Google Maps. More often than not though I just use the car in unfamiliar areas, as public transport simply isn't passenger friendly to non-locals in many areas. The sooner more operators adopt next stop displays and announcements, the better. It would certainly offer more confidence to passengers, speaking as a passenger. But I fear we are drifting away from the subject slightly now. I'm glad that you have been able to conduct a survey into the habits of most passengers though, although I have definitely seen other passengers looking out of rear windows. Does make you wonder why some manufacturers bother adding back windows to vehicles if they are completely superfluous though. A solid rear panel, as per models you rightfully highlight, would presumably be cheaper to manufacture (and possibly less weight?) than inserting an unnecessary pane of glass, as well as possibly slightly lower running costs for operators in terms of replacement glazing/leaking seals over time?
Fortunately, you don’t need to conduct a survey. Bus companies will tell you the vast, vast majority of people are regular travellers on a particular route. That’s a fact. Then when you realise that most people will look out the windscreen or side windows to see whichever landmark, whether it’s York Minster or the Red Lion, then it is readily apparent that covering up the rear is not a great issue.

Much more likely, as you say, is that people will ask the driver to give them a shout. NSAs (Next Stop Announcement) are a step forward though you’ll have some folk complaining about them. Notably, Transdev are among the main proponents on NSAs.

As for @RustySpoons complaint about Versas, can’t say I’ve noticed it https://flic.kr/p/M3i5z1 (pic Chi’s Nelson) - if anything, I might suggest that the internal spec and choice of colour pallet is much more of an issue (eg remember NBC spec VRs with tan seats and brown laminates on a dark bottom deck?)

SCH117X

Established Member
No one sensibly would use the rear seats on a Versa anyway on a hot day anyway with the added heat from the engine. In other Transdev twitter news the 59 Harrogate-Skipton service is going all year but still Saturdays only
https://twitter.com/harrogatebus/status/14442318257827143
Now here all year! Every Saturday, the 59 connects Harrogate,
@bolton_abbey
and Skipton. Plan your next car-free and care-free day out now! #TransdevGo app http://harrogatebus.co.uk

Twb1979

The exterior of 1867 is very shabby too and carries a lot of battle scars, whilst I’m well aware it’s been very well travelled in the past couple of years serving at all the Transdev brands, it’s about time it was freshen up to match the usually impeccably presented fleet.

I must say the pink Optare Tempos look splendid!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

RustySpoons

In other Transdev twitter news the 59 Harrogate-Skipton service is going all year but still Saturdays only
https://twitter.com/harrogatebus/status/14442318257827143

Good news.

Speaking to a driver a few weeks back he said it's taking pretty much zero fares, the majority of passengers being ENTCS pass holders which didn't fill me with much hope for it's future. Though I doubt it'll ever reach the levels it did all those years ago as the X59, but this is encouraging.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Good news.

Speaking to a driver a few weeks back he said it's taking pretty much zero fares, the majority of passengers being ENTCS pass holders which didn't fill me with much hope for it's future. Though I doubt it'll ever reach the levels it did all those years ago as the X59, but this is encouraging.
When I travelled on it in late May, it was predominantly pass holders but there were certainly some fares. With it being on a Saturday, you’d think it just needs to cover its marginal costs plus some profit.

Was interesting to see decent load on the first run ex Skipton too

Andyh82

Established Member
There was an item about the bus driver shortage on Look North (Yorkshire) tonight

Transdev featured, and they spoke to Alex Hornby as part of the report. They also featured Stagecoach in South Yorkshire

Ostensibly there was/ is a major incident in the Keighley area today that has resulted in my B3 running 30 mins late (not that I'm bothered), but there hasn't been a single tweet about any delays on twitter. Not a single tweet.

northernchris

Established Member
Ostensibly there was/ is a major incident in the Keighley area today that has resulted in my B3 running 30 mins late (not that I'm bothered), but there hasn't been a single tweet about any delays on twitter. Not a single tweet.
I noticed the lack of tweets too but did see that Metro managed to both tweet and add a message to the next bus system to advise of service disruption.