• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

Not sure if there's vehicle problems or there's just lots of Shuttles spare with the service reductions, but there's been at least one Shuttle vehicle on the 62 yesterday and today.
If it's tracking as 1809, it's actually 2757. Had on 760 t'other day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Thinking further into the future, I wonder what will replace the B10s on Burnley locals when the time comes? It could be said that the B7s that'll be displaced at Harrogate when their new electrics arrive could take their place, but they'll still be too big and just as unsuitable for town work. They'd be more suited over at Blackburn to replace their remaining B10s. Is there enough of a network left to justify a brand new fleet, or could the Keighley Solo's find their way over the hills when they're replaced?
Aren’t the B10BLEs and B7RLEs the same length?

Ancelljb

Believe the 1's and the Shuttle at Keighley are going to be replaced with the same 'electric' order.
I believe that the ZEBRA funding applied for by the council in that area is to introduce electric vehicles on the Airport Flyer routes and the Shuttle in Keighley. Is there other plans for the 1?

RustySpoons

Aren’t the B10BLEs and B7RLEs the same length?
I believe so, both 12 metres. Too long for some of the tight local streets they've got to run on.

I'd say the Streetlites that were briefly at Burnley were the ideal size for most of the town services.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think the most likely order will be for Electirc E200 MMCs, but E-Citaros could be a possibility. Personally I would love to see a new Scania Fencer on trial at Keighley.
It depends if they want opportunity charging as at Harrogate. If so that would rule out the BYD E200EV.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Going back a little bit, but does anyone know what engine and transmission combination was fitted to the 57-plate 'Starship' Optare Versas? This news story says the later 12-plates were Merc engined with 5-speed Allison 2100 transmissions - were the older vehicles similar? Here is an interior video from YouTube if it helps anyone with an ear for these things...

RustySpoons

Going back a little bit, but does anyone know what engine and transmission combination was fitted to the 57-plate 'Starship' Optare Versas? This news story says the later 12-plates were Merc engined with 5-speed Allison 2100 transmissions - were the older vehicles similar? Here is an interior video from YouTube if it helps anyone with an ear for these things...

The 57 plates had Allison gearboxes but were Cummins engined. They couldn't half get a shift on!

RELL6L

Six Mellor Stratas, 84-89, appear to be out on the road today. Maybe they were yesterday but with BusTimes down I can't tell. They seem to be on routes 530/577 (2) and 546/561/562 (4) although there is some crossover with other routes. And from a quick glance the reliability seems a bit better. I think the 319 has been reduced from x15 to x20 and thus from three boards to two - but only one is running! Both 360s running, all three 20/21s, both 563s, all three 343s, the 524 and the 514. Hope this is the start of recovery....

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Six Mellor Stratas, 84-89, appear to be out on the road today. Maybe they were yesterday but with BusTimes down I can't tell. They seem to be on routes 530/577 (2) and 546/561/562 (4) although there is some crossover with other routes. And from a quick glance the reliability seems a bit better. I think the 319 has been reduced from x15 to x20 and thus from three boards to two - but only one is running! Both 360s running, all three 20/21s, both 563s, all three 343s, the 524 and the 514. Hope this is the start of recovery....
I'm guessing one was out yesterday as my sister in law was praising the pink bus she got home which will have been on the 343 or 562.

Andyh82

Established Member
Rosso’s Irwell Line is also being reduced next week from every 15 mins to every 30 mins

RustySpoons

I think they're still having some serious staffing issues in Lancashire, at the moment more drivers seem to be leaving than joining. Not sure if things are any better in Yorkshire.

There are still a lot of journeys being dropped too, the majority of which are never announced. I think temporary timetables are needed across the board.

M60lad

From what it looks like on the timetable only the through journeys will operate with the short Bury-Rawtenstall journeys withdrawn for the time being.

From what I can gather the problem is not just drivers leaving the company its drivers transferring between depots as I know of 2 drivers recently that have left Blackburn Depot to go and work at Rochdale Depot.

Andyh82

Established Member
Running only half hourly on Saturdays into Bury in the run up to Christmas will be chaos. You’d like to think they’d put double decks on, but I bet they won’t.

Whisky Papa

I spotted a Strata about to cross the River Calder bridge outbound in Sowerby Bridge early yesterday evening (c1915) but didn't see whether it was on a 561 or 577. I was rather saddened to see that it had more drivers than passengers on board... :(

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I spotted a Strata about to cross the River Calder bridge outbound in Sowerby Bridge early yesterday evening (c1915) but didn't see whether it was on a 561 or 577. I was rather saddened to see that it had more drivers than passengers on board... :(
On the plus side, sounds like the driver shortage must be easing.

RustySpoons

Removing the late 36 and 1 services is a surprise! I'd have thought they'd still be quite popular especially at this time of year. I wonder if Burnley will follow and withdraw their late X43s...?

EDIT 14/11/21

Rumours coming from Queensgate that a 'new' reduced timetable for most services is to be introduced in a couple of weeks.

Things don't seem to be showing any signs of improvement unfortunately. As mentioned previously the upcoming 'Amazing Awards' must come across as a bit tactless to staff and customers who are being let down a lot as of late.

Last edited:

scosutsut

As mentioned previously the upcoming 'Amazing Awards' must come across as a bit tactless to staff and customers who are being let down a lot as of late.
Casual observer not impacted by this at all...

I think it's quite easy to view through that lense, on the opposite side of the coin, if the staff you have are doing their very best to keep things running despite shortages out with of their control you'd not do much for any remaining morale by canning an event that recognises it.

On top of that I think most passengers following in any detail can separate out the problem (lack of staff) and the cause (not the fault of the remaining staff) and would therefore support staff being recognised for their work.

If companies waited for everything to be perfect before celebrating their staff, they'd never celebrate. There'd always be a reason it wasn't a good time.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Casual observer not impacted by this at all...

I think it's quite easy to view through that lense, on the opposite side of the coin, if the staff you have are doing their very best to keep things running despite shortages out with of their control you'd not do much for any remaining morale by canning an event that recognises it.

On top of that I think most passengers following in any detail can separate out the problem (lack of staff) and the cause (not the fault of the remaining staff) and would therefore support staff being recognised for their work.

If companies waited for everything to be perfect before celebrating their staff, they'd never celebrate. There'd always be a reason it wasn't a good time.
I think we've all seen the notices in coffee shops and the like reading "The whole world is short staffed - be nice to those who have turned up" - it's the same sentiment.

RustySpoons

Temporary timetables in Burnley

We are introducing temporary timetables to our Witchway and Mainline M3, M4 and M5 buses from 21 November.

The Mainline is going to every 10 minutes between Burnley and Colne, and the late night X43s are being withdrawn.

I can understand the Mainline frequency reduction as it'll probably save a few duties during the day but still keep a decent frequency, but I wonder if the late X43s are more a side effect of the after 7pm £1 bus fare? A bus full of passengers going for a night out in Manchester and home again for only £2 won't be able to pay for itself.

Ancelljb

The Mainline is going to every 10 minutes between Burnley and Colne, and the late night X43s are being withdrawn.

I can understand the Mainline frequency reduction as it'll probably save a few duties during the day but still keep a decent frequency, but I wonder if the late X43s are more a side effect of the after 7pm £1 bus fare? A bus full of passengers going for a night out in Manchester and home again for only £2 won't be able to pay for itself.
That is possible, but expect it is also they would rather have the driver(s) who would do the the late night and evening duties working earlier in the day to run the daytime routes instead. Arguably a much lower impact to remove the late night journeys that it would be to remove day-time routes with high patronage.

Hardcastle

From what it looks like on the timetable only the through journeys will operate with the short Bury-Rawtenstall journeys withdrawn for the time being.

From what I can gather the problem is not just drivers leaving the company its drivers transferring between depots as I know of 2 drivers recently that have left Blackburn Depot to go and work at Rochdale Depot.
I travelled on the irwell line yesterday around 12 noon & the bus was rammed going from the Bury suburbs into town.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

The only big change is the removal of the short M5s between Burnley and Colne with some other trips retimed by a few minutes to maintain an even frequency. I can't see any changes to the M4 which has dropped in frequency a few times since the beginning of last year.

asw22

Re late night X43 journeys: the last one is timed into Burnley at 4am with a later depot arrival probably around 4:30 am
If the same driver finishes at 4:30 am on Saturday and Sunday then they start their duties on Friday / Saturday / Sunday (probably starting shifts around 6, 7 or 8 pm, which means they miss Friday pm peak and much of Saturday.

Re the awards - I worked in a call centre environment for approx 10 years - the average staff turnover was nearly 50%, staff morale could be low at times so incentives like awards or just a thank you could make a difference.
There are many good drivers who work in the industry so it is only fair to recognise this

Last edited: