• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transdev Blazefield

RustySpoons

The new brand that was teased before Christmas has been revealed.

'Otley Dash' for the 965 that was part of the old Wharfdale Links network, and the source of an interesting mini bus war between Transdev and Connexions with both companies running the same service with the same times.

It was also the only service on the Wharfdale Links network to have it's own dedicated route branded bus. In fact it was the only WL bus that was actually repainted, the rest just got Wharfdale Links branding over the Keighley livery.

Screenshot 2021-01-13 at 19.12.05.png

The fleet number of 156 on the mock up suggests it could be an ex Keighley Jet running the service. The 965 is/was in the hands of a branded Dart MPD, fleet no 720.

Alex Hornby's Tweet
A dashing bus, new look and new link for Otley as the 965 extends to create a quick connection from Weston, Wharfedale Hospital & the town centre to the rail network at Menston from next month. #OtleyDash

Although only the 965 is mentioned, I wonder if the rest of the Wharfdale Links network will be rebranded? I know the 965 runs as a standalone service with one bus, but I don't know much about the rest of the network or how/if other services are interworked so could be easier said than done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
By reason of it not being "in Pendle" perhaps? :lol:

Well, The Grand Wazoo has given you a few ideas - the former mining towns in the Yorkshire coalfield are all fairly grim - but have you ever visited either Craigavon or Strabane? And the section of the X43 over the tops between Burnley and Love Clough is quite pleasant.
Fair point :oops: I know what I meant

I'd agree that bit of the X43 is quite dramatic, and also, Strabane is a right dive. Perhaps an idea for a thread - Britain's less picturesque bus service?

northern506

The new brand that was teased before Christmas has been revealed.

'Otley Dash' for the 965 that was part of the old Wharfdale Links network, and the source of an interesting mini bus war between Transdev and Connexions with both companies running the same service with the same times.

It was also the only service on the Wharfdale Links network to have it's own dedicated route branded bus. In fact it was the only WL bus that was actually repainted, the rest just got Wharfdale Links branding over the Keighley livery.

View attachment 88576

The fleet number of 156 on the mock up suggests it could be an ex Keighley Jet running the service. The 965 is/was in the hands of a branded Dart MPD, fleet no 720.

Alex Hornby's Tweet

Although only the 965 is mentioned, I wonder if the rest of the Wharfdale Links network will be rebranded? I know the 965 runs as a standalone service with one bus, but I don't know much about the rest of the network or how/if other services are interworked so could be easier said than done.

I believe the 62 is being withdrawn from Ilkley to Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA), so I wonder if the 965 extension to Menston is actually to just replace the 62.

Not sure how (or if) the LBA to Otley section is being replaced, guess the 784 could extend to LBA. Although it has recently been cutback from Otley, not sure if this is temporary or not?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I believe the 62 is being withdrawn from Ilkley to Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA), so I wonder if the 965 extension to Menston is actually to just replace the 62.

Not sure how (or if) the LBA to Otley section is being replaced, guess the 784 could extend to LBA. Although it has recently been cutback from Otley, not sure if this is temporary or not?
Unconformed the 965 is replacing the 62 Otley - Menston and the A3 is replacing it between the Airport and Otley.

The 784 changes are temporary covid changes (the first and last of the day still serve Otley).

Last edited:

Stan Drews

Established Member
The 965 was the only commercial part of the early Wharfedale Links network (during the day anyway), so I suspect any changes being introduced will be influenced by whatever WYCA have retendered, and whatever contracts Transdev have retained/secured.
The 62 more recently also incorporated some tendered elements, as WYCA went through one of their regular budget savings processes.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Confirmation that the A3 is extending to Pool and Otley:

On 21 February FLYER A3 will be upgraded to provide a new link from Otley to Pool and Leeds Bradford Airport – continuing along the current route to Shipley and Bradford.

It means that customers in Otley have a bus every hour, direct to Shipley and Bradford 7 days a week, as well as a new-look link to Pool and the airport.

Monday to Saturday – Buses will run hourly between Otley, Leeds Bradford Airport and Bradford from 7.20am to around 11pm. Earlier buses will still run between Bradford and the airport from 6am.

Sunday - Buses will run hourly between Otley, Leeds Bradford Airport and Bradford from 9.45am to around 11pm. Earlier buses will still run between Bradford and the airport from 7am.

The first bus on the A2 from Bradford in a morning will run through to Harrogate from the 21st February.

SCH117X

Established Member
The first bus on the A2 from Bradford in a morning will run through to Harrogate from the 21st February.
Sensible change it seems - presumably results in a bus running out of service to the airport instead of all the way to Harrogate

Andyh82

Established Member
Transdev have also now announced changes to the 62, 962 & 784 and more newer buses, this time for the Wharfedale Links

wharfedale%20links.PNG

An upgraded link to Leeds Bradford Airport, Shipley and Bradford, newer buses, better connections with the trains and added stops in response to local feedback. Our 21 February changes make Otley and Ilkley better connected, in comfort and in style.

RustySpoons

Is there any reason the 965 is now under a separate brand, rather than keeping it in with the Wharfdale Links?

Andyh82

Established Member
Probably because it provides a new key direct cross town link every 30 mins between Menston station, Otley and the hospital. The other Wharfedale Links are generally hourly routes winding around housing estates in an indirect fashion

Roilshead

The other Wharfedale Links are generally hourly routes winding around housing estates in an indirect fashion

Of which only one (962, Otley - Burley-in-Wharfedale - Ilkley) runs in Wharfedale - the 948 (Eccleshill - Apperley Bridge [over the Aire]), and 966 Aireborough (says it all) local serve Airedale . . . the 784 (Ilkey - Skipton) will still serve Wharfedale, but isn't branded.

JRT

Of which only one (962, Otley - Burley-in-Wharfedale - Ilkley) runs in Wharfedale - the 948 (Eccleshill - Apperley Bridge [over the Aire]), and 966 Aireborough (says it all) local serve Airedale . . . the 784 (Ilkey - Skipton) will still serve Wharfedale, but isn't branded.
784 runs out of Idle depot.

Roilshead

The Flyers are also under the Coastliner license too.

Exactly. I'm not sure what points "JRT" and "Ken H" were trying to make (both of which I'm well aware of), but the depot or licence doesn't need to affect the branding . . . all the Wharfedale Links and Otley Dash services - with their dubious branding - are run out of Keighley, which makes their points even more meaningless.

Andyh82

Established Member
Bear in mind they took on the 784 in the middle of the pandemic and haven’t run it in normal times as yet, it’s no surprise to me it’s still running without a brand.

It won’t be until we get back fully normal, whether they will be able to see if it’s a route capable of growth if they applied an eye catching brand, or if the reason First gave it up comes apparent and it’s best not running at all.

RustySpoons

Bear in mind they took on the 784 in the middle of the pandemic and haven’t run it in normal times as yet, it’s no surprise to me it’s still running without a brand.

It won’t be until we get back fully normal, whether they will be able to see if it’s a route capable of growth if they applied an eye catching brand, or if the reason First gave it up comes apparent and it’s best not running at all.
Fair point.

Is there any news on the decker that was involved in the crash back in October?
Written off.

RELL6L

I am intrigued by the change on the A3. At the moment the A2 runs hourly from Bradford-Airport-Harrogate with a nice three hour round trip, so 3 buses. The A3 runs from Bradford-Airport via a different route with a nice 2 hour round trip, so 2 buses with 10 minutes at each end. The A2 and A3 leave Bradford at opposite points of the hour (00 & 30) and leave the airport roughly evenly spaced (00 & 36). With the current A3 timetable, extending to Otley via Pool adds 19 minutes so the buses will have half an hour at Otley. Or maybe they will tweak it a bit to have less time at Otley and more at Bradford, but that will impact the even spacing. What is the point of having 30 minutes at Otley? Is the bus going to do something else while it is there? That would be odd given that it will be in Flyer colours. And why is it going via Pool? The 62 it is replacing does not.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I am intrigued by the change on the A3. At the moment the A2 runs hourly from Bradford-Airport-Harrogate with a nice three hour round trip, so 3 buses. The A3 runs from Bradford-Airport via a different route with a nice 2 hour round trip, so 2 buses with 10 minutes at each end. The A2 and A3 leave Bradford at opposite points of the hour (00 & 30) and leave the airport roughly evenly spaced (00 & 36). With the current A3 timetable, extending to Otley via Pool adds 19 minutes so the buses will have half an hour at Otley. Or maybe they will tweak it a bit to have less time at Otley and more at Bradford, but that will impact the even spacing. What is the point of having 30 minutes at Otley? Is the bus going to do something else while it is there? That would be odd given that it will be in Flyer colours. And why is it going via Pool? The 62 it is replacing does not.

Peak, evening and Sunday journeys on the 62 go via Pool (so, more than half of them during the week and all of them on Sunday). The hourly X85 was also recently removed between Otley and Pool (replaced with the 85 between Pool and Leeds). That would leave only the (currently) less than hourly X52 and the off-peak hourly 940 between Pool and Otley (and 5 journeys each day between the 653, 781 and 923). The 62 is currently the only evening and Sunday service between the two places.

Last edited:

RustySpoons

Could the 30 minutes in Otley be timed for a drivers break, or a changeover? There's probably nothing else they'd be able to run in that time especially as you say it'll be in Flyer livery.

Could the 30 minutes in Otley be timed for a drivers break, or a changeover? There's probably nothing else they'd be able to run in that time especially as you say it'll be in Flyer livery.
The 62 currently has 25 mins at Leeds Bradford Airport (LBA), plus ample stand time at Otley, so this is not a dissimilar arrangement.

*Mod note* Avoid the use of abbreviations or acronyms without defining them the first time you use them in each post. This is a requirement of forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

M60lad

Another vehicle that's going to be off the road for a while is Rosso's Trax branded Streetlite 604 SN64CSY after being involved in an unfortunate incident in Bury Interchange this morning causing damage to the stand where Trax normally leaves from and major front end damage to the Streetlite.

Good job Transdev have got spare vehicles that can cover while this one is off the road.

Ashly_Jethro

Another vehicle that's going to be off the road for a while is Rosso's Trax branded Streetlite 604 SN64CSY after being involved in an unfortunate incident in Bury Interchange this morning causing damage to the stand where Trax normally leaves from and major front end damage to the Streetlite.

Good job Transdev have got spare vehicles that can cover while this one is off the road.
Ouch, how did that happen?

northern506

I notice from Alex Hornby's twitter that there will be additional services coming to Burnley/Blackburn depots, with 40 new jobs created.

Source - https://twitter.com/alextransdev/status/1352243750202966018

I'm assuming these will be some of the below, which were all due to for renewal this March:

-Services 4/64/65/66/67 - Pendleside Rural Services
-Service 14 Burnley local service
-Service 15 Burnley - Rose Hill Circular
-Service 24A Chorley - Blackburn
-Service 95/95A Colne - Burnley Hospital/Burnley

Any other services seem a bit out the way for Transdev to operate.

JRT