• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laketop

Hi all,

Is there any news regarding the transfer of the High Speed Train (HST) 125s from LNER to East Midlands Railway (EMR)?

With the finale of these trains on the East Coast Mainline, is there any update on their transition to the Midland Mainline?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Helvellyn

Established Member
A number have been rebranded (EMR vice LNER) and have been passing through Craigentinny for PIS fitment (same style monitor type displays as fitted to the LNER Mark 4 fleet) then on to storage at Gascoigne Wood.

I suspect EMR might want a full swap out to minimise reservation issues. But I guess it depends what briefs staff require - Drivers, Guards, catering and maintenance. I also wonder if the Sensa electronic reservations will be used or if EMR will retain paper tickets? If they do use Sensa then that is another reason to switch in one go.

It is 6 (of 10) Angel sets and 3 (of 5) Porterbrook sets, all fitted with Mallard interiors and reduced back to 8 coaches. Two Porterbrook sets (EC64/NL65) look destined for scrap due to still having their IC70 seats. One of the four unaccounted for Angel sets is possibly going to LSL for charters (some hope the Blue/Grey set). That leaves three Angel sets with Mallard interiors unaccounted for. I wonder if these could be reduced to 6 coaches to replace the three Angel sets ex-Grand Central that are also non-compliant after 31st December?

Killingworth

Established Member
Thought I saw an odd LNER carriage in the middle of an EMR HST set heading into Sheffield on Sunday..

alistairlees

Established Member
There are two ex-LNER sets stored at Gascoigne Wood, as of this morning. They are mostly obscured by stored Pacers. But I could see 43295 and 43317, both carrying EMR logos, at the western end of each set. I don't know what was on the other end.

greatvoyager

Established Member
There are two ex-LNER sets stored at Gascoigne Wood, as of this morning. They are mostly obscured by stored Pacers. But I could see 43295 and 43317, both carrying EMR logos, at the western end of each set. I don't know what was on the other end.
I wonder how long it's going to be before they actually enter service.

Shame that the VP185 power cars are presumably off to the chopping block. Do the ex Grand Central power cars share the same fate? I still haven't seen one of them (43484 if I remember correctly).

Sbahn4

A picture on a thread about 142’s on here, showed at least 5 hst sets in there. That was earlier in the week.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Shame that the VP185 power cars are presumably off to the chopping block. Do the ex Grand Central power cars share the same fate? I still haven't seen one of them (43484 if I remember correctly).
All I know is that they ex Grand Central power cars are staying until the 180s arrive (unless this has changed).

D365

Veteran Member

Are there not two VP185-engined power cars going to the 125 Group?

ST156

Following the transfer of the Farwell Tour set to Ely this morning, I believe the only power cars & Mk3s left at Craigentinny & Neville Hill are as follows:-

Craigentinny - 43239, 43290, 43317, 43320
Neville Hill - 43257, 43318, EC59 (minus 42235 which transferred to Ely yesterday).

The rest are now either stored at Ely with an uncertain future, or at Gascoigne Wood Sidings ready to transfer to EMR.

Can anyone confirm the above?

On Moderation
Following the transfer of the Farwell Tour set to Ely this morning, I believe the only power cars & Mk3s left at Craigentinny & Neville Hill are as follows:-

Craigentinny - 43239, 43290, 43317, 43320
Neville Hill - 43257, 43318, EC59 (minus 42235 which transferred to Ely yesterday).

The rest are now either stored at Ely with an uncertain future, or at Gascoigne Wood Sidings ready to transfer to EMR.

Can anyone confirm the above?
Craigentinny has only 43239/320 as 43290/317 went to Gascoigne Wood on 23/12. I believe Neville Hill has sets EC51/59 with 43238/257/316/318 and damaged 43300.

On Moderation
I mean after, is it destined for scrap or will be reused with another operator and will this other operator keep the livery?
Nothing has been stated publicly - everything at the moment is rumour.

MML

Makes you wonder how people found their way onto these trains in BR days.
Not for passenger services, though. They can’t use it for regular scheduled services due to the lack of contrast between the doors and the rest of the carriage.

Skymonster

Established Member
Hi all,

Is there any news regarding the transfer of the High Speed Train (HST) 125s from LNER to East Midlands Railway (EMR)?

With the finale of these trains on the East Coast Mainline, is there any update on their transition to the Midland Mainline?

Must admit I’m disappointed the LNER sets are not already on the move to EMR. Someone will probably come along sooner or later to say the transfer has hit a snag because the catering staff need to be trained to operate the coffee machines or something similar...

greatvoyager

Established Member
That requirement is for visually impaired people. If you can't see properly, its difficult to know exactly where the doors are.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Not for passenger services, though. They can’t use it for regular scheduled services due to the lack of contrast between the doors and the rest of the carriage.
Easily dealt with. Re-paint the doors in grey as on 313201.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

For those unlucky to suffer from visual impardness with difficulty and it put less able people off travelling by rail. It’s easy for those of us with normal sight to forget how challenging it must be to have a deficiency and unless you wish to be trapped at home public transport is often their only opportunity as for obvious reasons many won’t be allowed to drive.

As part of a more inclusive society rail has its duty (and requirement) to try and make travel easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.