• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

LowLevel

Established Member
It is having a cheap and quick job done on it as the company way of saying goodbye, nothing like 43102 had. NL have plenty of staff spare with only 3 sets to maintain (hence they've been working on 158s too) so no real problem in giving them something nice to do.

greatvoyager

Established Member
It is having a cheap and quick job done on it as the company way of saying goodbye, nothing like 43102 had. NL have plenty of staff spare with only 3 sets to maintain (hence they've been working on 158s too) so no real problem in giving them something nice to do.
More money has been wasted on other things in recent years, but that's for another thread.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Not just me who considers this a huge waste of time and money, right? Withdrawn next month with limited use before then and at a time when the railways are short on cash, not to mention the filthy 360s they're introducing in May without a even a repaint, let alone an internal refurb.
no, it's mostly just you I think.:lol:
It's probably not a lot of time and not a lot of money in the great scheme of things (eg may even have cost less for example then say the comp food that probably had to be chucked out when covid regs came in and prevented at seat service, say, and it all went out of date)

My understanding was that a whole set would be done up in EMR livery, is that still the plan?
That would be good!

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
Not just me who considers this a huge waste of time and money, right? Withdrawn next month with limited use before then and at a time when the railways are short on cash, not to mention the filthy 360s they're introducing in May without a even a repaint, let alone an internal refurb.
If Abellio want to swallow the cost of repainting a power car that is likely to be retired in five weeks time, I have no problem with that. On the other hand, if the cost is ultimately picked up by the government through an EMA/ERMA, then I'd be disappointed and it would symbolically indicate a part of the rail industry had failed to grasp the issues around the level of financial support it is currently receiving.

WesternLancer

Established Member
If Abellio want to swallow the cost of repainting a power car that is likely to be retired in five weeks time, I have no problem with that. On the other hand, if the cost is ultimately picked up by the government through an EMA/ERMA, then I'd be disappointed and it would symbolically indicate a part of the rail industry had failed to grasp the issues around the level of financial support it is currently receiving.
Much of the public transport industry is receiving large levels of financial support from the govt (including the airlines, which are major subsidy junkies at the best of times). How depressing to think that none of them should seek to celebrate any of their most famous assets in any way. The only shame is this was not done much sooner - when the shabby LNER HSTs came over (and of course when far more money was spent making them fit for service for a relatively short period of time).

spotify95

My thoughts entirely. It would be better if EMR just refurbished the 360s up to the same standard as their current HST & 222 fleet, so that the cost of travelling by rail is justified. We are currently going to have horrific 3+2 seating (instead of 2+2) with no wi-fi (not that the 222's wi-fi works anyway).

On Moderation
The cost of a power car repaint is a tiny fraction of the £45 million that has been wasted on the Class 442s.

WesternLancer

Established Member
My thoughts entirely. It would be better if EMR just refurbished the 360s up to the same standard as their current HST & 222 fleet, so that the cost of travelling by rail is justified. We are currently going to have horrific 3+2 seating (instead of 2+2) with no wi-fi (not that the 222's wi-fi works anyway).
I suspect you might get the outside of 1 or 2 360s re liveried for the cost of this power car repaint. Or maybe a few seats in one carriage swapped to 2+2 instead. It's not a like for like or an either / or option.

And I'm not sure that getting the 360s up to the tatty interior standard of the current 22 fleet is much of a win....

On Moderation
I suspect you might get the outside of 1 or 2 360s re liveried for the cost of this power car repaint.
:lol: :lol: :lol: No chance. Cost of a power car repaint will be roughly the same as for repainting one vehicle of a 360.

LowLevel

Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: No chance. Cost of a power car repaint will be roughly the same as for repainting one vehicle of a 360.

Much less in this case! It is being done to a standard that matches it's life expectancy. I don't know why people are making a big thing of it.

LowLevel

Established Member
I had heard otherwise from people who had caught a glimpse of it in progress (but managed to not take photos and put them on social media :lol:) - happy to be corrected if they're doing a proper job of it!

MissPWay

Not sure that's right. It's not being done in-house, for a start, as I understand it.

Because it’s Railforums and it’s full of “enthusiasts,” who seemingly despise the railway because they know better how it should be run...

Established Member
Because it’s Railforums and it’s full of “enthusiasts,” who seemingly despise the railway because they know better how it should be run...

To be fair the member @43096 quoted isn’t just an enthusiast.

(But generally agreed :))

LowLevel

Established Member
The latest update we have internally (as ever, I am happy to be corrected if anyone else knows better!) is that the EMR HSTs will be withdrawn as of Monday 17th May, as expected.

Impey0711

On Moderation
Nice surprise at St Pancras on the 14:34

Attachments

• IMG_20210413_142026.jpg
    IMG_20210413_142026.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20210413_142034.jpg
    IMG_20210413_142034.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210413_142102.jpg
    IMG_20210413_142102.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 78

Domh245

Established Member
Looks like the aubergine power car (274) is nearly done and will be out and about for the final few weeks of EMR HST operations:

Whilst I can understand why it has the white swoosh at the rear, I can't help but feel it'll rather clash with the ex-LNER/VTEC livery, and that they should have perhaps done that bit in red instead!

I also can't help but feel a bit sorry for EMR - they keep having all their thunder stolen out from underneath them in terms of big reveals - first 102 and now this one too.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
has it occured to anyone on here behaving like vitriolic keyboard warriors that the paint job might have beem sponsored by the leasing firm and not out of the TOC or DfTs pocket, or that perhaps it is utilising otherwise dormant staff for training and work experience? Could it be that this particular PC may be destined for donation to a museum or preservation or youth training project somewhere or turned into a primary school classroom and that EMR have chosen to tidy it up a little before it gets given away? After all, a comment further up this thread highlighted the PC that was paired with 43 102 looked a right scruffy mess so here we are seeing EMR doing something about it and people are complaining about it! I don't remember LNER getting such negative criticism for their flying banana repaint and heritage tour, in fact it was positively welcomed...

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Is there a summary of the entry into and exit from service of the ex LNER sets and power cars anywhere? I get the impression that some ran in service for only a short time - only 2 sets seem to be in use at the moment, I thought there were more at one point.

I also can't help but feel a bit sorry for EMR - they keep having all their thunder stolen out from underneath them in terms of big reveals - first 102 and now this one too.

Well they've managed to keep the reveal of the 360's top secret :lol:

fgwrich

Established Member
has it occured to anyone on here behaving like vitriolic keyboard warriors that the paint job might have beem sponsored by the leasing firm and not out of the TOC or DfTs pocket, or that perhaps it is utilising otherwise dormant staff for training and work experience? Could it be that this particular PC may be destined for donation to a museum or preservation or youth training project somewhere or turned into a primary school classroom and that EMR have chosen to tidy it up a little before it gets given away? After all, a comment further up this thread highlighted the PC that was paired with 43 102 looked a right scruffy mess so here we are seeing EMR doing something about it and people are complaining about it! I don't remember LNER getting such negative criticism for their flying banana repaint and heritage tour, in fact it was positively welcomed...

Not only that but, these things also need bodywork overhauls. If it needs a repaint, then why not put it into your own scheme? 274’s last bodywork overhaul would have likely have been around 2011/2012 when it received the East Coast Grey / Purple livery. It’ll have subsequently since had VTEC, VTEC Sunderland, LNER and EMR all added over the top with Vinyl.

Mikey C

Established Member
Is there a summary of the entry into and exit from service of the ex LNER sets and power cars anywhere? I get the impression that some ran in service for only a short time - only 2 sets seem to be in use at the moment, I thought there were more at one point.

Well they've managed to keep the reveal of the 360's top secret :lol:
"If we don't do any work on the 360s, nobody will be able to leak the new interior" ;)

On Moderation
First/last use of the power cars has been documented in 125 Group’s magazine.

Established Member
Only sets NL56, NL57, NL58 remain now with 2 diagramed each day in late 2020 there were 5 'red' sets running which at that point there were 5 diagrams. For the dates I have just been through this and the EMR branding thread to get the dates for the sets and a rough idea for the power cars. I started the dates for the power cars on my lists but then dropped it after a few.

Set - entered service - out of service
NL51 04/05/20 - 15/01/20
NL55 27/12/20 - 17/01/20
NL56 28/08/20 - in service
NL57 20/10/20 - in service
NL58 22/11/20 - in service

Power car - entered service - out of service
43238 - 08/05/20 - in service
43251 - ??/09/20 - in service
43257 - 09/06/20 - in service
43272 - ??/10/20 - in service
43274 - ??/09/20 - in service