• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transfer of LNER HST 125s to East Midlands Railway (EMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The lack of plug sockets on the ex EMT HSTs is an issue though, and the seats are totally unsuitable for tall people.

The ex LNER HSTs, by contrast, have a fantastic interior.
Spot on, the EMR HST interior is now dated heavily and is clearly an old train. Contrast with the ex LNER ones which are very pleasant and (with the exception of the doors) could be only a few years old.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Spot on, the EMR HST interior is now dated heavily and is clearly an old train. Contrast with the ex LNER ones which are very pleasant and (with the exception of the doors) could be only a few years old.
As I posted before up thread, the EX LNER newer interiors are of course more modern design but show much worse signs of wear and tear than the ex EMT ones IMHO, sadly, so can look shabbier.

DB

You and I may travel in first, but the majority don’t, and they’re required in this modern day

I rarely travel in first.

Not sure why sockets are such a big deal though, especially on the MML where most journeys are less than a couple of hours.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I rarely travel in first.

Not sure why sockets are such a big deal though, especially on the MML where most journeys are less than a couple of hours.
It's becuase everyone is glued to their phones from dusk till dawn! I am unfortuantely not old enough to know what a pre-smartphone era was like, but I bet it was great. :)

DB

It's becuase everyone is glued to their phones from dusk till dawn! I am unfortuantely not old enough to know what a pre-smartphone era was like, but I bet it was great. :)

Even so, most phones now have batteries which will last the day.

DB

I suppose so. Yet most trains have them these days! o_O I wish they'd spend money on making trains comfy rather than filling it full of plugs & USBs!

3 pin power sockets are probably of use for laptops on long journeys such as London to Scotland, particularly where there are a lot of business travellers, but the USB chargers seem a fairly pointless gimmick. Especially as USB power banks are now very cheap.

supervc-10

Having power is particularly useful late in the evening- long day out somewhere, then getting the train, then needing to get a taxi/tube/whatever at the other end. Had a few times where I've had to turn my phone off to make sure that I can order an Uber when I get back to Piccadilly.

I'd rather have full on sockets than USBs, but they can so easily be combined, it's probably worth it. Having a proper 3-pin plug means I can use the fast charger for my phone at 30W, rather than 5W from a standard USB.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I really, really wish there was an upvote button on this forum :lol:
Me too!

3 pin power sockets are probably of use for laptops on long journeys such as London to Scotland, particularly where there are a lot of business travellers, but the USB chargers seem a fairly pointless gimmick. Especially as USB power banks are now very cheap.
I agree that plugs are good for business users who actually need it.

I agree USB's are daft, especially as we are in the transition of USB-A to USB-C and all the trains have only just got USB-A! :lol:

So do I, never really got the need for USB ports everywhere.

Same. I think the USB's are for those who are too poor to afford a plug or for those who are forgetful and leave it at home or they just can't be bothered to carry it with them.

_toommm_

Established Member
Me too!

I agree that plugs are good for business users who actually need it.

I agree USB's are daft, especially as we are in the transition of USB-A to USB-C and all the trains have only just got USB-A! :lol:

Same. I think the USB's are for those who are too poor to afford a plug or for those who are forgetful and leave it at home or they just can't be bothered to carry it with them.

Especially with the new introduction of Gallium Nitride chargers - you can have a 100W brick the size (just about) of a normal 5W charger.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Especially with the new introduction of Gallium Nitride chargers - you can have a 100W brick the size (just about) of a normal 5W charger.
Wow! That's a lot of power. That's almost 10% of my 750W PC power supply but in a little plug! Mind blowing! o_O

Back to the main topic, I sadly only ever went on one of the EMR VP185's and miss them a lot. What with the pandemic, I haven't been able to get to Bedford plus I haven't had much time recently either.

DB

They're very impressive. Here's a good article on them https://www.howtogeek.com/509209/what-is-a-gan-charger-and-why-will-you-want-one/

Regarding the USBs- the other thing I just thought about is the long-term reliability of USB-As. I was on a TPE 185 pre-covid and the USB socket was very loose. I was on a BA 777 as well in February and the USB on my seat didn't work. Thankfully the middle seat was empty!

I don't know how often they have to replace USB sockets on public transport vehicles, but would suspect they get damaged quite often. 3 pin sockets are more robust.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm sure the discussion of USB sockets is interesting to some, but I was wondering if we could get back to the topic of this thread - the transfer of LNER HSTs to EMR. :)

Thanks

Impey0711

On Moderation
Lovely interior on the ex lner Hst's but when I've travelled on them from St Pancras travelling north I've always found this is about the 4th time now the sockets don't work on the L/H side of the train but the r/h is fine

SteveyBee131

Lovely interior on the ex lner Hst's but when I've travelled on them from St Pancras travelling north I've always found this is about the 4th time now the sockets don't work on the L/H side of the train but the r/h is fine
I often found the sockets on one side of LNER carriages didn't work, both on mk3s and mk4s. Perhaps it's a long term problem that's still unsolved.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
The objective of the transfer of the LNER sets was to improve the level of PRM conformance over the EM sets, although this doesn't seem to get discussed now. Does anyone know the current situation regarding the deadline for removal of the EM sets and when the LNER sets will themselves meet a deadline for non-conformance?
The Corby Electric 360s will indirectly replace the short sets but presumably the LNER sets can't be replaced until the 800s arrive.
At least one of the ex GC power cars has been reported in use on a 'long' set - is there a possibility that the 434** power cars will be retined after the sets have been withdrawn?
There doesn't seem to have been any recent update to the situation, but maybe I've missed something.

On Moderation
The objective of the transfer of the LNER sets was to improve the level of PRM conformance over the EM sets, although this doesn't seem to get discussed now. Does anyone know the current situation regarding the deadline for removal of the EM sets and when the LNER sets will themselves meet a deadline for non-conformance?
The Corby Electric 360s will indirectly replace the short sets but presumably the LNER sets can't be replaced until the 800s arrive.
At least one of the ex GC power cars has been reported in use on a 'long' set - is there a possibility that the 434** power cars will be retined after the sets have been withdrawn?
There doesn't seem to have been any recent update to the situation, but maybe I've missed something.
As has been previously stated the 360s eliminate all the HSTs by cascade of the 180s and 222s. HST replacement is not dependent on the new 810s entering service.

PRM dispensation expires on 31/12/20 for all the HSTs, but some sets are likely to need an extension until the full 360 operation starts (planned for May currently).

Merle Haggard

Established Member
As has been previously stated the 360s eliminate all the HSTs by cascade of the 180s and 222s. HST replacement is not dependent on the new 810s entering service.

PRM dispensation expires on 31/12/20 for all the HSTs, but some sets are likely to need an extension until the full 360 operation starts (planned for May currently).

Thanks for that.
The 180s will replace the short HST sets, presumably achievable before 31/12/20. But the 222 cascade happens only when 360 operation starts, so presumably all the long sets will have to be extended 'til that happens. And, even then, I make it 3 Meridian sets equivalent used at present on the Corby trains (frequency - 1 tph, journey time just under 1h 10 mins, single 4 car Meridians). But I'm just puzzled - don't want to start another round of circular discussion!

On Moderation
Thanks for that.
The 180s will replace the short HST sets, presumably achievable before 31/12/20. But the 222 cascade happens only when 360 operation starts, so presumably all the long sets will have to be extended 'til that happens. And, even then, I make it 3 Meridian sets equivalent used at present on the Corby trains (frequency - 1 tph, journey time just under 1h 10 mins, single 4 car Meridians). But I'm just puzzled - don't want to start another round of circular discussion!
It’s a totally new timetable once the Corby electrics start, so making direct diagram comparisons isn’t very meaningful.

Established Member
Thanks for that.
The 180s are likely to replace some of the long sets as well. Probably only 2 diagrams at most which are likely to leave just the LNER sets in service. The 180s are currently in training so will probably be in service in December. When the 360s come in the timetable will have to be completely rewritten and the 70 min layover in London will be removed on the Nottingham fasts and the Nottingham slows interwork with the Corby services at the day at the moment.

DB

From what I have seen, at least one coach has already been repainted. Although, I'm not sure what set this was from.

Not aware that EMR have repainted anything at all yet (possibly some 170s?) - the interim livery trains are all vinylled.

DB

I don’t think that’s repainted, it looks like one of the 222 type interim jobs.

yes, the joins can be seen.

Not sure which one that is though - does indeed appear to be a Mk3 buffet, but none in that livery have appeared in service yet so far as I am aware.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
yes, the joins can be seen.

Not sure which one that is though - does indeed appear to be a Mk3 buffet, but none in that livery have appeared in service yet so far as I am aware.
I wonder if the power cars will be changed in any way or if they will stay red?

It would be odd seeing a red powercar with white and purple coaches!o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.