• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
Stalybridge-Huddersfield is 18 miles, Neville Hill-Church Fenton is 14.
Vic-Staley is 7 and Guide Bridge-Staley is 2.

Business cases are strange things.
I can't imagine the current wiring Colton-Church Fenton has a very good BC, unless it was essential for some other reason (eg ECML upgrade, power supplies etc).
For the main route you have to throw in clearance, remodelling, realignment and resignalling work as well, and some new trains (to replace the DMUs).
The real business case is indeed for the end-to-end service (passenger and freight), plus diversion routes and the odd fill-in section (eg Guide Bridge-Staley).
IIRC, the Colton-Church Fenton work was implemented to allow bi-modal services from Leeds (TPE + 1 or 2 LNER) to pan up prior to York, but it does also tie in with the ECML Power Supply Upgrade. Hambleton Jn SFC & FS will feed either side of the current neutral section on the ECML (south to Doncaster, north to York), and also the Colton-Church Fenton 'stub'. It also lays the ground for a track Sectioning Cabin (TSC) at Church Fenton, but that's a drop in the ocean by comparison.
The main advantage of it (for NR) is that it breaks down the hand-back work into smaller, more manageable chunks (IIRC there are still parts of GWEP which require closing out, if you want some scale), so that Colton-Church Fenton can be properly handed over to NR to inform their decisions for the rest of the route to Leeds.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
IIRC, the Colton-Church Fenton work was implemented to allow bi-modal services from Leeds (TPE + 1 or 2 LNER) to pan up prior to York, but it does also tie in with the ECML Power Supply Upgrade. Hambleton Jn SFC & FS will feed either side of the current neutral section on the ECML (south to Doncaster, north to York), and also the Colton-Church Fenton 'stub'. It also lays the ground for a track Sectioning Cabin (TSC) at Church Fenton, but that's a drop in the ocean by comparison.
The main advantage of it (for NR) is that it breaks down the hand-back work into smaller, more manageable chunks (IIRC there are still parts of GWEP which require closing out, if you want some scale), so that Colton-Church Fenton can be properly handed over to NR to inform their decisions for the rest of the route to Leeds.
Thanks. That's interesting and answers the question I was indirectly asking regarding the inefficiency of small stages.

Out of curiosity, (and apologies if I have asked this before), but the section from Church Fenton to Neville Hill would seem an obvious straightforward (in as much as any electrification is) next stretch to eliminate the final gap between Leeds and York. Yet there doesn't appear any suggestion that it is being considered, other than as part of the overall scheme.

59CosG95

Established Member
Thanks. That's interesting and answers the question I was indirectly asking regarding the inefficiency of small stages.

Out of curiosity, (and apologies if I have asked this before), but the section from Church Fenton to Neville Hill would seem an obvious straightforward (in as much as any electrification is) next stretch to eliminate the final gap between Leeds and York. Yet there doesn't appear any suggestion that it is being considered, other than as part of the overall scheme.
IIRC, the remaining parts east of Leeds are divvied up into:
E2: 'Leeds Departures' (assume Leeds - Neville Hill - Cross Gates);
E3: Cross Gates - Micklefield; and
E4: Micklefield - Church Fenton.

I don't know what the scope outside of electrification is, but any track remodelling/additional tracks, station rebuilds, crossing closures etc. will require a lot more in regard to option selection. 2 key constraints I can think of are the footbridge and user-worked crossing at Rose Lane (just SW of Church Fenton) which would need removal for increased line speeds. Even keeping it in risks another Steventon-esque dilemma, complicated further by the presence of S&C.
The diamond points east of Micklefield are another potential bugbear.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Another probable factor was that some (all?) of the clearance work on Colton-Church Fenton was done in CP5 before the Grayling plug got pulled.
That must have gone on a previous budget.

Spending money to improve access to Piccadilly from the east actually detracts from the original business case for the Ordsall Curve (if we are looking at cost/benefits).
That whole project can now be seen as a side show to the main TPU programme.
But we had people on here angrily denouncing any alternative to their (failed) vision of the Manchester Hub.
No wonder the Treasury is sceptical.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
IIRC, the remaining parts east of Leeds are divvied up into:
E2: 'Leeds Departures' (assume Leeds - Neville Hill - Cross Gates);
E3: Cross Gates - Micklefield; and
E4: Micklefield - Church Fenton.

I don't know what the scope outside of electrification is, but any track remodelling/additional tracks, station rebuilds, crossing closures etc. will require a lot more in regard to option selection. 2 key constraints I can think of are the footbridge and user-worked crossing at Rose Lane (just SW of Church Fenton) which would need removal for increased line speeds. Even keeping it in risks another Steventon-esque dilemma, complicated further by the presence of S&C.
The diamond points east of Micklefield are another potential bugbear.
Thank you. I really do appreciate your very informed, clear and objective commentary on all the various electrification projects. (I just wish there were rather more in terms of mileage "on the go" for you to be commenting on!)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
1) That's a serious downgrading of the TPE service offering, splitting services across 2 stations. An effective reduction to half hourly.

2) Castlefield can be decluttered without needing to do that. See Options A/B/C in the separate consultation.
2 an hour from each Manchester station has been the service pattern for the last 13 months. There is no prospect of it increasing anytime soon.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
1) That's a serious downgrading of the TPE service offering, splitting services across 2 stations. An effective reduction to half hourly.

2) Castlefield can be decluttered without needing to do that. See Options A/B/C in the separate consultation.

My position is a post HS2 world, where the Guide Bridge route will come in to it’s own. Option A/B/C is only a sticking plaster.

Senex

Established Member
When was it installed?
April 2017 — complete renewal and re-design to make the York route the full-speed route (not achieved yet eastbound because of signalling) and the Selby line the divergence. Design is for 100 to/ex York, currently 70/90.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
April 2017 — complete renewal and re-design to make the York route the full-speed route (not achieved yet eastbound because of signalling) and the Selby line the divergence. Design is for 100 to/ex York, currently 70/90.

Wow - I’ve just looked at that on google maps, as I didn’t know it had been done. I wonder if it is the highest ‘total’ speed switch diamond crossing on the Network? It will need very very careful maintenance!

lineclear

Wow - I’ve just looked at that on google maps, as I didn’t know it had been done. I wonder if it is the highest ‘total’ speed switch diamond crossing on the Network? It will need very very careful maintenance!
I'd have thought that Colton has that honour. It's 125 both ways.

CrickUK

The plan to leave the masts over the Leeds lines between Colton and Church Fenton until the autumn must have changed, most of the mast on the Leeds side between Colton and Brumber Hill went up on Saturday night.

bengley

Established Member
Just a slight correction to your post - at Micklefield it's 70 to Hull and 80 to York, 90 on the way back from York

Senex

Established Member
Just a slight correction to your post - at Micklefield it's 70 to Hull and 80 to York, 90 on the way back from York
Sorry, my mistake! It's that crucial question of "more than 10 mph differential" in the signalling arrangements, so going up to 80 was possible, whereas the 90 wouldn't be.

bengley

Established Member
Sorry, my mistake! It's that crucial question of "more than 10 mph differential" in the signalling arrangements, so going up to 80 was possible, whereas the 90 wouldn't be.

That's right. I'm not sure why they haven't gone down the road of having flashing yellows for the Hull route already - the signal was renewed in a new location not so long ago when Micklefield's platforms were extended

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
We are now at the mid-point of CP6 (as shown in the thread title) and I wonder which now-aspirational sections of CP6 now look likely to be transferred to CP7?
It has already been put in writing that parts of the scheme will go to the end of CP7 end of CP8 - Link below. Also there is the statement and full referenced in the Wikipedia article on this subject I referenced a few post ago.

EDIT - my mistake CP8 (never mind 7!!!!!). It is in Paragraph 3 (or section 3) of this document.
TRU and the TRU W3 Project will span three railway investment periods: Control Period 6 (2019 to 2024), Control Period 7 (2024 to 2029) and Control Period 8 (2029 to 2034). The cost of implementing the TRU W3 Project works to be authorised by this Order is £1,458,929,838. These costs are estimated to comprise £479m in Control Period 6, £945,929,838 in Control Period 7, and £34m in Control Period 8. In addition to the funds already available to Network Rail in Control Period 6 to progress the TRU W3 Project further funding will be made available for the delivery of the TRU W3 Project from the identified funding allocation for TRU in accordance with the RNEP governance process. This provision will be sufficient to deliver the TRU W3 Project as part of TRU, provided it has the required consents and continues to represent value for money.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
From the document linked by Gralistair:

TRU and the TRU W3 Project will span three railway investment periods: Control Period 6 (2019 to 2024), Control Period 7 (2024 to 2029) and Control Period 8 (2029 to 2034). The cost of implementing the TRU W3 Project works to be authorised by this Order is £1,458,929,838. These costs are estimated to comprise £479m in Control Period 6, £945,929,838 in Control Period 7, and £34m in Control Period 8.

The projected spend on TRU W3 (Huddersfield to Westtown) is thus divided into 33% in CP6, 65% in CP7 and 2% in CP8. Presumably they are not counting on much being spent in the next two years as they have to allow for a public inquiry and ministerial decision. So the rate of spend on that part of the overall project is predicted to be highest in the last year of CP6 and much of CP7. The small figure for CP8 suggests that work after the start of CP8 will be limited to not much more than tidying up.

This, of course, says nothing about Stalybridge to Huddersfield or Westtown - Leeds - Church Fenton.

Glenn1969

Established Member
What they appear to be saying with those dates is that Huddersfield to Westtown is 2030 completion. I think that means the full project is 2035 at the earliest unless I have missed something

Purple Orange

On Moderation
What they appear to be saying with those dates is that Huddersfield to Westtown is 2030 completion. I think that means the full project is 2035 at the earliest unless I have missed something

Is there a link to a report or article that states the completion date?

Ive read 2027/28 for completion of current planned work.

SuperNova

Is there a link to a report or article that states the completion date?

Ive read 2027/28 for completion of current planned work.
There's no fixed date, because those even working on the project don't know what the full extent of the project is going to be just yet. That's up to the fallout from the integrated rail plan etc.

59CosG95

Established Member
TransPennine Wiring East Progressometer Post 4.0 - accurate to 12/05/21.
Route announced as 'to be wired' in CP6: Church Fenton - Colton Jct.

E1. Church Fenton North Jct (NOC/CFM 10m 36ch) to Colton Jct (NOC 5m 41ch/ECM4 182m 79ch)

Electrification work underway.
Southern limit of OLE confirmed to be short of Church Fenton Stn itself due to
a) HS2 Phase 2b works; and
b) the Common Ln Underbridge/Rose Lane UWC situation (i.e. "Steventon with S&C")
With completion scheduled for October 2022; steelwork up in May 2021 (Normanton side only) & wires up in Jan 2022.
Leeds side steelwork originally planned for Autumn 2021, but work has been brought forward.

All piles presumed installed.
Colton Jn - Colton Lane O/B: 3 S1 TTC pairs up, followed by a S1 Monoboom, a UKMS Std portal, another S1 TTC pair, a second Monoboom, then 4 S1 TTCs to Colton Lane O/B.
TTCs now up over the Normanton & Leeds lines.

5 S1 TTCs up and boomed on the Normanton side south of Colton Ln O/B. The lone S1 Monoboom leg up on the Leeds side has now been paired with its doppelganger, and boom installed. All steelwork aside from one monoboom appears to have been installed between Colton Ln & Brumber Hill (i.e. over Colton South Ladder).
South of Brumber Hill Bridge, almost all S1 TTCs appear to be up and boomed (on the Up Normanton Side) as far as signals Y745 (DL)/Y742(UL)/Y747(DN)/Y44(UN). A S1 Monoboom, close to the trackman's hut on the UN side, is now fully boomed, and its adjustable leg struts are also present & correct. Its overlap compadre, 3 spans south, only has the Normanton side mast up.
South of that overlap are 7 S1 TTC pairs, followed by a UKMS Std PF DC portal (at a guess) for a mid-point anchor (MPA). A further 2 pairs of S1 TTCs are up south of that.
A handful of masts (UKMS standard I think) are up between the Normanton lines on the old site of Bolton Percy station.

Between Bolton Percy & Ulleskelf, around 7 S1 TTCs, 5 S1 single track masts and a monoboom (now boomed) are up. 3 piles between the Dn & Up Normanton lines are also in place north of Ulleskelf, and clearances from the railway boundary to the Dn Leeds line are tight, so I suspect 3-track TTCs will go in over the Dn Normanton & both Leeds lines (unless more piles for the Leeds lines come later). Within Ulleskelf itself, 2, poss. more single track masts are also in place (one between the road bridge & the footbridge), and a pair south of the station that are very tall indeed (perhaps to give aerial clearance over the RRAP which they sandwich). A UKMS legacy TTC (from the Mk3 & Series 2 ranges) is also present south of Ulleskelf.

Between Ulleskelf & CF North Jn, around 20 or so masts (mainly S1 TTCs) are up on the Up Normanton side. Oddly enough, a standard UKMS mast (either a PF double channel or a UC - it's hard to tell from a telephoto shot) is up north of the current CF726/CF724 gantry. This makes me think that the crossover at CF North Jn could be repositioned for higher speed running.

At Church Fenton North Jn, 4 masts have gone up south of the signal gantry supporting signals CF726 (UN) & CF724 (UL); these are 2 no. Tensorex Monoboom Anchor masts sandwiching a pair of S1 style hook-and-pin TTC masts. This must be for an overlap - potentially the southern limit of works.The Monobooms have since gained their Leeds lines compadres and booms.

Track Sectioning Cabin to be built in Church Fenton.

Compounds established at:
Church Fenton;
Ulleskelf;
Bolton Percy (Oxton Lane);
Braegate Lane;
Earfit (Earfitts?) Lane;
Copmanthorpe (Moor Lane);
Tadcaster Road, Copmanthorpe (by A64); and Dringhouses (Model Railway).
(N.B. All dates are subject to alteration, whether due to COVID-19 or otherwise)

E2. Leeds Departures (presumed Leeds - Neville Hill - Cross Gates) - Development of final scheme scope to GRIP 3.

E3. Cross Gates to Micklefield - Development of final scheme scope to GRIP 3.

E4. Micklefield to Church Fenton - Development of final scheme scope to GRIP 3.

Do let me know if I've missed anything!

Manchester - Stalybridge folks: you might want to check this website out. https://manchestertostalybridge.co.uk/

Last edited: