• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

59CosG95

Established Member
Previously Some drivers when signal checked at Holgate would pan up at that point. It saves time in the station especially where a crew change may be involved, train is stationary anyway so is permitted.

APCO (Automatic Power Change Over) has now gone “Live” on TPE units so changeovers now occur automatically on the move at Chathill or Colton rather than stationary at locations such as York or Alnmouth
Ahhh, I didn't realise the TPE units had their APCO isolated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
APCO (Automatic Power Change Over) has now gone “Live” on TPE units so changeovers now occur automatically on the move at Chathill or Colton rather than stationary at locations such as York or Alnmouth
This makes sense as a number of trains were observed with their pans up south of Chaloners Whin (Tesco park and ride).

Ken H

On Moderation
This makes sense as a number of trains were observed with their pans up south of Chaloners Whin (Tesco park and ride).
For those not of a certain age, Chaloners Whin was where the ECML to Selby branched off before the Selby Diversion was built.

snowball

Established Member
Where exactly is the eastern limit of overhead line support structures near Ashton?

Given that earth wires have started to go up, will that point soon be the limit of full wiring?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Where exactly is the eastern limit of overhead line support structures near Ashton?
Given that earth wires have started to go up, will that point soon be the limit of full wiring?
There are mast bases up to about 500m of the junction of the Ashton and Guide Bridge routes, on both lines.
There's still quite a lot of base/mast work needed east of Ashton Moss/Guide Bridge before the wires can go up.

snowball

Established Member
I take it there isn't any work on the ashton line planned, looking at the transpennine upgrade page.

Will a lot of the same people be working on the Huddersfield bridges over the next couple of weekends as have been working on Manchester-Stalybridge?

The boundary between "W" schemes and "E" schemes is at Leeds, so W covers a lot of ground.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
We don't know where the last gap in the wiring will be, but it might not be closed for perhaps a decade from now.
Very likely Marsden to Greenfield because of the little issue of the waterway that goes over the railway at the eastern end of the tunnel.

jonesy3001

Established Member
I take it they're not lowering the track in the tunnel after ashton station or remodelling stamford street bridge.
Pics on the Manchester railways group of recent electrification works.
You might need to join the group to gain access.

Last edited:

Revaulx

I think the Ashton line is pretty much "done" for upgrades, but they still have to rework the layout at Stalybridge.
The overline bridge under Stamford Street East, the main A635 between Ashton and Stalybridge, hasn’t yet been touched. If all the others have had to be rebuilt, I’d be surprised if that one didn’t need to be as well.

There’s a very wide bridge (possibly a tunnel actually) a bit closer to Ashton from it as well; visible on Google Streetview looking east from the Romney Street bridge. The clearance doesn’t look great, but I imagine it would be a pain to fettle.

Scotrail88

Why did it take so long to get this done?
With the climate on everyone’s chat, you would think getting these miles covered and York station emissions down would be a big quick win

millbrook

Or Mossley because of the houses. I'm not a civil engineer so I've no idea which of the two would be more difficult. Probably depends on the details of each, the spillway looks like it would be difficult, but there might be a simple solution that's obvious to those qualified to make that call. The houses at Mossley have people in them, and they'll have questions and concerns that need to be handled sensitively. A stream, not so much!
It seems the spillway was replaced recently (2018) with a plastic one allowing Electrification

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is for infrastructure progress updates only.

Any posts of a speculative nature are to be posted in the Speculative Discussion section please.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If anyone wishes to debate whether or not a layout needs an update this needs to be a new thread (if there isn't one already) in the speculative discussion section please

snowball

Established Member
I am at a loss as to why you think that the layout needs a rework when it was all done in the 2012 remodelling
The 2012 remodelling was to make the route to/from Piccadilly the main route, but it was already out of date when it was being built, as the decision had already been taken to make the route to/from Victoria the main route.

Geeves

Established Member
I have the new design somewhere, but basically the junction speed increases to Victoria and decreases towards Guide Bridge. The old Stockport bay is also removed and a couple of other things.

snowball

Established Member
Note the list of TRU sections in #3880, published with the application for the Huddersfield - Westtown order in spring 2021:

W1 - Manchester Victoria-Stalybridge: Junction Speed improvements, line speed increases and electrification

W2a - Stalybridge: Key capacity enhancements around Stalybridge station which facilitate batter performance, also with line speed benefit

Everything we have seen so far is W1, not W2a. Maybe a contract for W2a has yet to be awarded?

td97

Established Member
Maybe a contract for W2a has yet to be awarded?
W2A includes Guide Bridge to Stalybridge in addition to Stalybridge station.
W2A OLE foundations have been issued for construction.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
W2A includes Guide Bridge to Stalybridge in addition to Stalybridge station.
W2A foundations and OLE have been issued for construction.
Thanks. So has Stalybriddge re-re-modelling been issued for construction?

59CosG95

Established Member
Thanks. So has Stalybriddge re-re-modelling been issued for construction?
Presumably. Large parts of the 'easier' work (i.e. open route piling, no viaduct fixing work etc.) have already commenced, alongside the bridge reconstructions. With all the main steel/SPS team concentrated on W1 at the moment, I don't believe much has changed toward Guide Bridge.

snowball

Established Member
Press release

Celebrations are underway to mark the past, present and future of Huddersfield’s iconic railway station, as it turns 175-years-old today (Wednesday 3 August).

Industry leaders from Network Rail and TransPennine Express joined the station’s infamous cats, Felix and Bolt, on Platform 1 to mark the milestone anniversary.

Since opening in 1847, the Grade I listed building has witnessed a lifetime of changes. But a new future as one of the key stations along the Transpennine route will see it completely transformed and made fit for the 21st Century.

Plans for the multi-billion-pound Transpennine Route Upgrade include:

• Two new platforms and the extension of existing platforms to improve station capacity
  • Improved accessibility – including new footbridge and lifts, and step-free access from the front entrance
  • Sympathetic restoration of the station roof
  • Additional toilet facilities
  • Improved customer information system
  • Track upgrades to support more trains
  • The tearoom will be relocated on its current platform. The tearoom will be repaired and repainted

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Press release

Drumming up positive publicity about the history of the station is all well and good, but those bullet points are a bit misleading. In particular the "two new platforms" bit, given that the rebuild also decommissions two of the existing platforms. Yes, two new ones will be added... but as with so many media stories about railway upgrades, the details get lost.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Agreed. It seems to have acquired a totally unjustified “difficult” status, like the Standedge tunnel and (a bit further afield) the Forth Bridge.
I can understand why people would assume that Standedge tunnel would be difficult simply because it's so long and quite wet. I've heard from various people who are somewhat in the know that Morley tunnel is more problematic due to clearances (the portal at the Morley end is deceptive, as the very end section is actually a road bridge with a much larger arch than the the main tunnel has).

I had thought that the spillway/aqueduct at the Marsden end of Standedge would be an issue, but according to an earlier post on this thread that's already been sorted with adequate clearances.

59CosG95

Established Member
I had thought that the spillway/aqueduct at the Marsden end of Standedge would be an issue, but according to an earlier post on this thread that's already been sorted with adequate clearances.
Not to mention the replacement of the spillway deck with an non-conductive equivalent, which sorts out the earthing & bonding problem.

snowball

Established Member
According to something I read a year or so ago, possibly in Modern Railways, the most difficult of the tunnels is Stalybridge, especially for freight loading gauge. It even led me to wonder if the reference to Standedge in the most recent Modern Railways (see #5646) is a mistake for Stalybridge.