• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport Decarbonisation Plan: Call for Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Probably of interest to people here... The Government are running a survey on what people think should be done to decarbonise transport. It follows on from their document earlier this year, Decarbonising Transport - Setting the Challenge, and seeks views about all forms of transport, including rail, air, cars, buses, etc.

The consultation and associated documents are available here. You have until 31 Aug to respond.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
For the love of god - for railways, stop consultations and just electrify like Scotland with proven technology. Ye gods, words fail me.

I think that's possibly missing the point a bit. It's not just about electrification. And it's not a consultation about any particular individual project. It's about that the Government and the DfT is apparently finally waking up to the need to decarbonise transport in general, and reaching out to solicit people's opinions. And while we can't be sure what they will do with the consultation results, it does seem reasonable to assume it will have at least some influence on future policy direction. To my mind, the fact that the Government are holding this consultation at all should be welcomed, since it strongly suggests that the Conservatives are becoming open to more eco-friendly and sustainable transport policies, in a way that they simply weren't open to just a few years ago.

If you believe that the Government should electrify lots of railways, then his consultation is your chance to tell them that. If (like me) you believe that the Government should move more strongly to discourage private car journeys, and build infrastructure to favour walking, cycling and public transport, then this is your chance to tell them that too - so I'd strongly encourage you (and everyone here) to consider responding to the consultation. In the end, the more people who fill in the survey saying they want (for example) better public transport or less pollution, the more likely the Government is to move in that direction. On the other hand, simply saying 'stop consultations' is likely to achieve precisely nothing.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Thanks for your reply. I filled in the form and did reply. I did not just talk about rail electrification , I also talked about city centres being made almost vehicle free with electric vans delivering supplies at core hours only. I suggested internal flights such as MAN-LHR (Manchester to Heathrow) etc be taxed to high heaven - not banned. I still suggested stop consultations/enquiries etc and just get it done as I really fear paralysis by analysis. I said a plan is needed for the lot because with electric cars we also need the Grid improving and generation capacity increasing (if I had the power of god I would just order half a dozen nukes). I also pointed out we already had a DfT- Transport Select Committee request for suggestions on Trains fit for the future - a little less consultation and a bit more action please with apologies to Elvis Presley and Roger Ford.

I also made suggestions about mothers dropping off and picking up their little dahhhrrrrlings at school etc in gas guzzling SUVs.

MEGA

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Thanks for your reply. I filled in the form and did reply. I did not just talk about rail electrification , I also talked about city centres being made almost vehicle free with electric vans delivering supplies at core hours only. I suggested internal flights such as MAN-LHR (Manchester to Heathrow) etc be taxed to high heaven - not banned. I still suggested stop consultations/enquiries etc and just get it done as I really fear paralysis by analysis. I said a plan is needed for the lot because with electric cars we also need the Grid improving and generation capacity increasing (if I had the power of god I would just order half a dozen nukes). I also pointed out we already had a DfT- Transport Select Committee request for suggestions on Trains fit for the future - a little less consultation and a bit more action please with apologies to Elvis Presley and Roger Ford.

I also made suggestions about mothers dropping off and picking up their little dahhhrrrrlings at school etc in gas guzzling SUVs.

MEGA

Oh cool! That sounds like a pretty good response.

'a little less consultation and a bit more action please with apologies to Elvis Presley' - Haha! Although as I read that bit, my instinctive thought was a little less Elvis and a little more Ariana Grande :lol:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Final day for this! The transport decarbonisation plan consultation closes at midnight today. Links in the first post of this thread.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
But you don't live in the UK?
I still have a home in the UK which I pay Council Tax on. I also did a submission to the Transport Select Committee on the Parliament web page about what I wanted future trains to look like. It is down loadable. I asked Lilian Greenwood permission via Twitter first and she said why not.

Last edited:

DJ_K666

MEGA
Yep. I can agree with this.

Two points though

1. Electric vehicles are limited by their battery life so maybe have electric cars, vans, buses etc fitted with new design batteries, which would need to give them similar range to an internal combustion vehicle or even look at fitting dynamos to them so that they are continually charging as they drive around. Is this technology available at a reasonable price? Also the manner in which the electricity to charge the batteries would need looking at as it's no use using electricity generated from coal to make 'clean' vehicles as that is counter productive, pollution is still coming from somewhere. Completely agree with you on the school runners in their Chelsea Tractors. Sorting out how to use up less road space is a different problem.

Which leads me on to 2.

Road traffic is still going to be a problem. If cities go vehicle free then better transport networks will be needed to replace them. This means buses and trams in cities, many of which have developed massively since the trams were phased out. In one case, Berlin, Tram lines* were put in when a road was resurfaced in case they were needed. No overhead lines or anything. Then it would mean just doing the junction and putting up the wires or running battery powered trams on that section, a la Wolverhampton.

3. There is no point 3

*I refuse to use the term 'Light rail' and 'Heavy rail' it's railways and tramways.

Kingspanner

Yep. I can agree with this.

Two points though

1. Electric vehicles are limited by their battery life so maybe have electric cars, vans, buses etc fitted with new design batteries, which would need to give them similar range to an internal combustion vehicle or even look at fitting dynamos to them so that they are continually charging as they drive around. Is this technology available at a reasonable price? Also the manner in which the electricity to charge the batteries would need looking at as it's no use using electricity generated from coal to make 'clean' vehicles as that is counter productive, pollution is still coming from somewhere. Completely agree with you on the school runners in their Chelsea Tractors. Sorting out how to use up less road space is a different problem.

Which leads me on to 2.

Road traffic is still going to be a problem. If cities go vehicle free then better transport networks will be needed to replace them. This means buses and trams in cities, many of which have developed massively since the trams were phased out. In one case, Berlin, Tram lines* were put in when a road was resurfaced in case they were needed. No overhead lines or anything. Then it would mean just doing the junction and putting up the wires or running battery powered trams on that section, a la Wolverhampton.

3. There is no point 3

*I refuse to use the term 'Light rail' and 'Heavy rail' it's railways and tramways.
If you think that an electric vehicle can self charge with a dynamo while driving around I urge to to find out about the Conservation of Energy Law. If you are talking about regenerative braking, that is well established.
You don't have to worry about coal, in the UK at least it has virtually been eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.