• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cardiff123

Established Member
Does it say who in TfW expects that? Somebody born yesterday by any chance?
A TfW spokesman. It's confirmed that the 769 project for TfW Rail is officially 'delayed'.

Why aren't TfW using them on Manchester Airport -N Wales trains. they could run on leccy from manc to Warrington. Seems a far better use. They could even get Allerton to service them.
edit. are changed to aren't.

Because the 769s for TfW are not about where they can be deployed so their bi-mode capability can be used. ATW and TfW ordered 769s to provide a boost in capacity and release 150/2s for PRM mods. Where they are most needed to boost capacity is in the south on routes where 4 car trains need to be covered for, and that's on the Valleys, specifically Rhymney, where the 769s can cover 4 car diagrams at peak time.

big all

On Moderation
does anybody know if the units have gone into the works ??
its possible the solution is as simple as new new brackets or dampers specially made this wont hold up the later units that will still be under conversion in various stages

one will appear with new components for testing then the other completed units in rapid succession

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
A TfW spokesman. It's confirmed that the 769 project for TfW Rail is officially 'delayed'.

Because the 769s for TfW are not about where they can be deployed so their bi-mode capability can be used. ATW and TfW ordered 769s to provide a boost in capacity and release 150/2s for PRM mods. Where they are most needed to boost capacity is in the south on routes where 4 car trains need to be covered for, and that's on the Valleys, specifically Rhymney, where the 769s can cover 4 car diagrams at peak time.

Is there a link to the TFW spokesman please ?

Cambrian359

how Many trains does it need to run the rhymney service? With2 x 37s and 9 x 769 destined for that line I’m guessing it’s a busy line! (I’ve not yet been on a South Wales valley service so genuine question and not sarcasm)

Ken H

On Moderation
how Many trains does it need to run the rhymney service? With2 x 37s and 9 x 769 destined for that line I’m guessing it’s a busy line! (I’ve not yet been on a South Wales valley service so genuine question and not sarcasm)

busy to caerphilly. less busy to bargoed. bit thin beyond that.

(How do the welsh make cheese? carefully

Sorry!)

Cardiff123

Established Member
Is there a link to the TFW spokesman please ?
You can download RAIL magazine in digital format now - it came out digitally yesterday, (it's included in the subscription on the Readly app) or buy it from a newsagent on Tuesday.

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
Remember that the 2x37s are only destined for that line because the 769s have taken so long to show up.

anamyd

On Moderation
not a direct answer, but the 9 769s, along with say 17 internally "cascaded" 150/2s which will all be PRM modified, are supposed to replace the 30 Pacers on "Valley Lines" for 2020 to 2023. I say 17 150/2s because the introduction of the 12 170s and 5 230s will displace them from the wider network.

anamyd

On Moderation
Think tfw are having another 769 delivered this week according to the rumour mill
from the general 769 thread. I'm assuming this one will have the sticky out pipe fix applied from the factory...? does anyone know what the plans are for applying the fix to the first unit delivered, 002...?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
from the general 769 thread. I'm assuming this one will have the sticky out pipe fix applied from the factory...? does anyone know what the plans are for applying the fix to the first unit delivered, 002...?

I think we can be guided by Post #18 by a poster who can supply very reliable information. From nature of the post, I suspect 002 will be fixed at Canton and subsequent ones before they leave Loughborough. Northern's 2 x 769s have been rotting away at Allerton ever since they came.

allaction

As the 37s and sets are in Wales to cover for the 769s, can it be presumed that the original suppliers of the 769s, rather than TfW, are paying for the provision of the replacements?

Elecman

Established Member
Probably not yet authorised for independent use on the mainlines and lack of drivers with route/traction knowledge

anamyd

On Moderation
don't these units have issues with sticking out exhaust pipes and with the bogies not being rated for the additional weight...? have either of these issues been fixed on 002 yet, and has 008 been delivered with these fixes applied or not...?

Cardiff123

Established Member
don't these units have issues with sticking out exhaust pipes and with the bogies not being rated for the additional weight...? have either of these issues been fixed on 002 yet, and has 008 been delivered with these fixes applied or not...?
Who knows, but my completely uneducated guess is that we won't see any 769s in service until late August/early-mid September at the earliest.
Someone on FB has suggested that 769s should just be loco hauled up and down the Valleys, which doesn't seem like a bad idea (minus the costs of the locos obviously).

cactustwirly

Established Member
Who knows, but my completely uneducated guess is that we won't see any 769s in service until late August/early-mid September at the earliest.
Someone on FB has suggested that 769s should just be loco hauled up and down the Valleys, which doesn't seem like a bad idea (minus the costs of the locos obviously).

Won't work, there's no way for the loco to supply ETS to the 319, amongst other things

big all

On Moderation
if theres a problem with bogies and exhaust pipes they will both prevent in service running regardless off self powered or hauled

also as said by cactustwurly no heat with lights and door control till the batteries go flat
it may off course only be certain routes the clearance is a problem so could be used off these routes till mods take place

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Something may be happening soon. Reported on Facebook that 769002 has been shunting round the Depot at Canton today

anthony263

Established Member
Upset some enthusiasts at Cardiff central yesterday as they were hoping it was going to escape the depot and actually come over to the station. If 769002 is moving around depot on it's own power I wouldn't be surprised if it does get out soon on driver training

Something may be happening soon. Reported on Facebook that 769002 has been shunting round the Depot at Canton today

I Tweeted TfW last week re 769s and Liv was going to get back to me with more info as she didn't have any, still waiting.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Posted on Facebook that driver training for Rhymney drivers to start in September so hope somewhere, perhaps.

In this scenario, any news is good news I guess.

Any news on the other seven(?) arriving, as only two(?) have arrived so far.

anamyd

On Moderation
In this scenario, any news is good news I guess.

Any news on the other seven(?) arriving, as only two(?) have arrived so far.
Yes only two (002 and 008) are at Canton so far. I read on another thread that 002 has been getting some modifications, I'm guessing the exhaust and bogie ones to allow it to be cleared. And yes there are a further 7 still to be delivered (003/006/007/426/4xx/4xx/4xx)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
769008 seen moving around Canton today and reported on Facebook (not an official source of information of course) and some minor cab mods to be made following Union inspections and subsequent requests. There are pictures on Facebook.

anamyd

On Moderation
769008 seen moving around Canton today and reported on Facebook (not an official source of information of course) and some minor cab mods to be made following Union inspections and subsequent requests. There are pictures on Facebook.
thanks for the info - got a link...?

Status
Not open for further replies.