• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales 769's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The compressor is powered from the MA set and is not tied into the Bus lines only the traction /Flex ties directly to the Bus

The fans are inverter driven from the flex side on the engine rafts and have no mechanical coupling
Ah, thanks for the correction. I believe the Motor-Alternator set is unchanged from the 319 and so will have been designed, like the traction electronics, to operate properly over the input voltage range experienced on third rail.

Am I correct in thinking that the engines need to run at a speed above idle to power all the auxiliaries that are supplied via the MA (compressor, lights etc.)?

Edit: I have since been informed by someone familiar with the units that the main (brake) compressor on the 319 and 769 is powered directly from the 750V DC bus. There is an auxiliary compressor powered from the batteries (which are charged by the MA set), but that only supplies air for raising the pantograph (not on the TfW units obviously).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Senna1210

Ah, thanks for the correction. I believe the Motor-Alternator set is unchanged from the 319 and so will have been designed, like the traction electronics, to operate properly over the input voltage range experienced on third rail.

Am I correct in thinking that the engines need to run at a speed above idle to power all the auxiliaries that are supplied via the MA (compressor, lights etc.)?
No the units are quite capable at idle to power everthing they have on them But the heaters do lack a bit of oooph untill the Bus line comes up

AM9

Veteran Member
No the units are quite capable at idle to power everthing they have on them But the heaters do lack a bit of oooph untill the Bus line comes up
Does that mean that the bus voltage is low when idling, or is the heater load partly shed as a low priority?

DieselFan

Being local to the Rhymney line, looking forward to seeing the 769's in service...I think the last time I saw these units in action was when they were originally 319's and at the time I was living near the MML when they started running, late 1980's. They seemed state-of-the-art back then! I do think they'll be quite an upgrade to Sprinters/Pacers that we're used to here....

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
TFW seem to be going hard at training as runs tonight on a Sunday evening after Engineering Work finished and line re-opened

craigybagel

Established Member
TFW seem to be going hard at training as runs tonight on a Sunday evening after Engineering Work finished and line re-opened
With the new second diagram Cardiff based crews are now working 769s. If they're training the entire Valleys depot at Cardiff that's going to take a lot of training runs.....

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
With the new second diagram Cardiff based crews are now working 769s. If they're training the entire Valleys depot at Cardiff that's going to take a lot of training runs.....

I was wondering if Cardiff crews were training on 769s especially as the new diagram starts at Cardiff first thing in the morning.

craigybagel

Established Member
I was wondering if Cardiff crews were training on 769s especially as the new diagram starts at Cardiff first thing in the morning.
I had had exactly the same thought - which is why I checked genius the first day it ran. It makes sense if they want to get the most use of these sets.

Buzz68

Yes Cardiff crews are undertaking a week of intensive training to pass out on them

Not mileage accumulation for these two as they are already running in passenger service. Testing etc run as 5Fxx and trainers as 5Zxx
I thought I could only see 1 crew member which made me think mileage runs.

158srule

Yes Cardiff crews are undertaking a week of intensive training to pass out on them

I thought I could only see 1 crew member which made me think mileage runs.
769008 was just a trial run post repair and 769452 was a transit move to / from Canton for fuelling. No training or running planned on Sundays.

158srule

It always broke down before anybody was able to get a photo, that's why :lol:
99% of Northern 769 sightings have been in depots!
002 was a good unit until a mod was fitted which highlighted a problem under the train. It should be back out next week.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
769452 on a training run (5Z75) a complete failure at Brithdir and the fitter (travelling I presume) unable to resurrect it. 1Z99 (the Thunderbird 37) being fired up at Rhymney to rescue. I've lost track which 37 is in situ at the moment.

769452 on a training run (5Z75) a complete failure at Brithdir and the fitter (travelling I presume) unable to resurrect it. 1Z99 (the Thunderbird 37) being fired up at Rhymney to rescue. I've lost track which 37 is in situ at the moment.
418 I believe mate. Will she bring 452 down to Canton or stable her at Rhymney?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
418 I believe mate. Will she bring 452 down to Canton or stable her at Rhymney?

No idea. The priority is to clear the Single Line but I presume it will draw her back to Rhymney as she will be that end on the single line.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Going back to Rhymney as it’s Mac speed 5mph.
Daft question. When 317s and 321s are been towed for scrap, the loco controls the brakes on the units. Why isn't this possible when a 37 attaches to a 769? The couplings are the same, or very similar to 317/321 etc.

158srule

Daft question. When 317s and 321s are been towed for scrap, the loco controls the brakes on the units. Why isn't this possible when a 37 attaches to a 769? The couplings are the same, or very similar to 317/321 etc.
They are either towed using translator vehicles with tightlock couplings, by locos specifically fitted with tightlock couplings or they have an extended brake pipe fitted giving through brake control. None of the locos available to TfW have these so an adaptor coupler needs to be used which doesn’t give through brake control

Bikeman78

Established Member
They are either towed using translator vehicles with tightlock couplings, by locos specifically fitted with tightlock couplings or they have an extended brake pipe fitted giving through brake control. None of the locos available to TfW have these so an adaptor coupler needs to be used which doesn’t give through brake control
Forgive me for labouring the point but doesn't a similar adaptor exist to the one shown in this video of a 37 rescuing a 755 to attach to 769s? It looks like it could be fitted to any loco fairly quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.