• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Platform9

Aw that’s great thanks! When did you start? And how is it going? Also how long is the wait for uniform?
I started back in November, it's gone really well thanks. We've left the classroom now going on to traction conversions etc.

Still don't have uniform but it's on its way thankfully (delivery problem)

You for Chester?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Slipper

The only thing I have heard back is my ID validation check was OK.

I did my medical in January and I am starting on the 15th. I can't wait!

Also be interested to know when you passed the assesments and went into the holding pool? Cheers

Marin

@RedRobin @Mrt83 Just out of interest, As Train drivers are you being transferred to TFW Welsh Gov or still employed by Keolis? Still awaiting to hear back whilst on the talent pool here from last year.

Has anyone heard anything with courses in upcoming months? Thanks in advance :)

SWTH

I am yes! So do you still wear your own clothes?
Clothes - until the uniform arrives you'll need your own clothes. I guess you're starting with the induction today, and then meeting your trainer on Thursday? Once you're at Chester you'll just need decent work trousers and something like polo shirts and jumpers - you'll be outside for some of it so a decent coat. Boots should be provided very early on. You'll find the training team at Chester are spot on. Drop me a PM if you have any questions.

Good luck!

Mrt83

@RedRobin @Mrt83 Just out of interest, As Train drivers are you being transferred to TFW Welsh Gov or still employed by Keolis? Still awaiting to hear back whilst on the talent pool here from last year.

Has anyone heard anything with courses in upcoming months? Thanks in advance :)
Hi. I'm in the talent pool waiting on a start date, so not sure about the employment arrangements sorry

craigybagel

Established Member
All TFW staff have been TUPE'd across from Keolis/Amey to the new directly run TOC.

Muren241

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and wanted to see if anyone had any information. I've applied for the Carmarthen station in July and still haven't heard anything, so I'm going with no news is good news! But does anyone have any news about them getting back to people for the Carmarthen station? Cheers!

Marin

All TFW staff have been TUPE'd across from Keolis/Amey to the new directly run TOC.
Cheers for the reply, That's interesting, I suppose thats better? as it avoids the transfer when the franchise changes hands?

Hi. I'm in the talent pool waiting on a start date, so not sure about the employment arrangements sorry
No problem, cheers for letting me know, good luck

Last edited:

JustJim93

Hello all! I'm new to this forum and wanted to see if anyone had any information. I've applied for the Carmarthen station in July and still haven't heard anything, so I'm going with no news is good news! But does anyone have any news about them getting back to people for the Carmarthen station? Cheers!
Hello! Have you had an email asking for your national insurance number yet? Apparently they are going to start assessment's for the Carmarthen station in April, was ment to be January but due to covid they got put in hold. Hope this helps.

Muren241

Hello! Have you had an email asking for your national insurance number yet? Apparently they are going to start assessment's for the Carmarthen station in April, was ment to be January but due to covid they got put in hold. Hope this helps.
No I haven't, I could have sworn I put my NIN in during the application.

Also thank you for that info! Hopefully I will hear something soon.

Last edited:

JustJim93

They ask you for your NI number when inviting you to an assessment day, I think it's to make sure they have the right person etc.

craigybagel

Established Member
They ask you for your NI number when inviting you to an assessment day, I think it's to make sure they have the right person etc.
Any attempt at drivers assessments is recorded on a national database, so it's probably that that they need your NI number for.

Muren241

I don't know I'm sorry. Just have to wait and see
No worries! Thank you. I had sent an email months ago asking how i could check for an update and was told that because i havent received a rejection letter that im still in the process. So it is jist a matter of waiting.

Hotaxlebox17

I never got asked my national insurance prior to invite maybe because I put mine on my application. I only got asked to bring it with me on both days.

Ronjohn86

Im in the same boat as you

JoeEcco

I applied for this role last July 17th for Shrewsbury and Crewe. I’ve had lots of emails saying that my application is still under review and contacted Acorn directly who said it may be some months still (that was December).

Im curious to know if anyone who has applied for either of those locations at the same time or later has had an interviews or got any further?

Does anyone have any idea when they may look to interview further for Shrewsbury and Crewe?

123hd

Quick question for anyone who's recently started. How far in advance was the info sent to you in regards to what happens on day 1? On my offer letter it said further info will provided closer to the time, but being me I like to know whats what . Anyone else on here for the 12th April start date?

I applied for this role last July 17th for Shrewsbury and Crewe. I’ve had lots of emails saying that my application is still under review and contacted Acorn directly who said it may be some months still (that was December).

Im curious to know if anyone who has applied for either of those locations at the same time or later has had an interviews or got any further?

Does anyone have any idea when they may look to interview further for Shrewsbury and Crewe?

Hi mate.

I applied towards the end of July and I'm now in the talent pool awaiting a start date. Had my final interview in November. This is for the Shrewsbury depot.