• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leospinks

Good luck on your course. That is a long old time to wait, when did you actually complete the process and go into the talent pool please? I passed everything at the beginning of September, so my wait so far is nothing compared to yours.
I'm in the same boat I got put into the talent pool beginning of September apart from the talent pool email I ain't heard anything :(.

Steam Power

Hi guys, any news from anyone who’s application is still under review?
I applied for Cardiff and Carmarthen last July.

Plumbstone

At present, they have not yet started assessing for Carmarthen, as they have focused on other locations first. They should start assessing over the next few months. Once they do, they will contact you to book you into an assessment.

Slipper

Yes good luck barbergirl, the MMI i found very relaxed to be fair, and the computer assessment wasn't too bad either. Has anyone had a medical lately for courses after May?

Leemini

Yes good luck barbergirl, the MMI i found very relaxed to be fair, and the computer assessment wasn't too bad either. Has anyone had a medical lately for courses after May?
I haven't heard anything. I have mail d Laura but no reply as of yet. Really hoping to get a medical booked soon. You heard anything?

No medical here yet either but I didn't expect anything just yet. Hopefully with covid restrictions lifting we might hear something soon.

Slipper

No I haven't heard either. I think medicals are offered about 6 weeks before the start date. I know there is a course in May, so thought they may soon start contacting people for medicals for the course after that. Last email contact I had was the beginning of March, which was just a standard 'we will contact you in the future' type of email. I'll probably email again in a few months if still not heard anything. The wait is worse than the process of applying . Hopefully we will all get a date soon.

Leemini

No I haven't heard either. I think medicals are offered about 6 weeks before the start date. I know there is a course in May, so thought they may soon start contacting people for medicals for the course after that. Last email contact I had was the beginning of March, which was just a standard 'we will contact you in the future' type of email. I'll probably email again in a few months if still not heard anything. The wait is worse than the process of applying . Hopefully we will all get a date soon.
Last mail I had was January offering a medical but they were all booked up before I could respond (only took 1hr). Haven't had anything since. Sent an email recently but no response as of yet.

Slipper

Thank you

Thank you. Any advice for the computer test? What did you have to do? Thank you
Have they sent you the practice materials? The computer tests are a little hard to practice as such. There is some software you can buy that may help, if you search the tests in google you can find some little snippets of info to give you an idea.

WAFV vigilance test - basically you stare at a black screen with a smaller grey square in the middle, when the grey square turns a darker colour you need to press a button as quick as possible, it lasts for about 30 mins.

I found it easier personally to move my eyes around the screen and not to stare at the square too much, as I'm sure I imagined it turning a darker shade when it didn't. Also if you make a mistake do not dwell on it, just forget it and move on. This test I found the hardest.

ATAVT Perception test - a picture flashes up for a few seconds and you need to say what you saw out of a list of things, the list of objects is always the same. the best advice I can give is to go for your initial thoughts and try not to overthink it and talk yourself into thinking you saw something that wasn't there.

2 hand coordination test - two joysticks that guide a white dot on a screen, you have to guide it around a few different shapes. I was quite quick at this and somebody else took quite a while, but we all passed ok

the MMI interview - After your paper assessment they may have asked you to give a brief answer to 5 questions, they use these to gain some further knowledge from you such as have you worked under pressure etc. I had the feeling that this was more of a personal interview to try to get to know you a little better and also to check on some answers that you gave in your online interview, maybe to check you gave the same answers? That being said it was pretty casual and I found it easier to talk than the DMI interview.

In summary, I would probably say the hardest part of the computer tests is the lack of suitable practice materials, also while I did not find them really difficult, you will make some mistakes and we all agreed we were not sure if we passed or not. I'm happy to say we all did though.

good luck

BarberGirl

Have they sent you the practice materials? The computer tests are a little hard to practice as such. There is some software you can buy that may help, if you search the tests in google you can find some little snippets of info to give you an idea.

WAFV vigilance test - basically you stare at a black screen with a smaller grey square in the middle, when the grey square turns a darker colour you need to press a button as quick as possible, it lasts for about 30 mins.

I found it easier personally to move my eyes around the screen and not to stare at the square too much, as I'm sure I imagined it turning a darker shade when it didn't. Also if you make a mistake do not dwell on it, just forget it and move on. This test I found the hardest.

ATAVT Perception test - a picture flashes up for a few seconds and you need to say what you saw out of a list of things, the list of objects is always the same. the best advice I can give is to go for your initial thoughts and try not to overthink it and talk yourself into thinking you saw something that wasn't there.

2 hand coordination test - two joysticks that guide a white dot on a screen, you have to guide it around a few different shapes. I was quite quick at this and somebody else took quite a while, but we all passed ok

the MMI interview - After your paper assessment they may have asked you to give a brief answer to 5 questions, they use these to gain some further knowledge from you such as have you worked under pressure etc. I had the feeling that this was more of a personal interview to try to get to know you a little better and also to check on some answers that you gave in your online interview, maybe to check you gave the same answers? That being said it was pretty casual and I found it easier to talk than the DMI interview.

In summary, I would probably say the hardest part of the computer tests is the lack of suitable practice materials, also while I did not find them really difficult, you will make some mistakes and we all agreed we were not sure if we passed or not. I'm happy to say we all did though.

good luck
Thank you so much for you’re detailed response.

I’ve been practicing the materials that have been sent, but as you said it’s hard to practice without the actual equipment needed. I have been on google and YouTube for extra help.

Did you find out the same day if you passed?

You'll know if you've passed the computer assessments as they will take you in for the MMI. If you've failed then unfortunately you get sent home.

It was 2 weeks after my assessment that I was told I'd passed both the computer and MMI stage.

Slipper

I’ve been practicing the materials that have been sent, but as you said it’s hard to practice without the actual equipment needed. I have been on google and YouTube for extra help.

Yes, there are 4 of you sitting the tests at the same time. After each test you go back to a communal room where you can all have a little chat, that's quite nice as your all in the same position and you realise everyone else found it as difficult/easy as you, which gives you a bit of confidence for the next test. After the last test I think we all agreed we had no idea if we had passed or not, I suppose because no one knows what the pass mark is, how many mistakes your allowed, how quick you need to be etc.

Your then told if you've passed the computer assessments or not, we all passed so we're told together, I'm not sure what would happen if someone failed. After that your called in one at a time for the MMI, I was told after the MMI that I had passed the process and would go in the talent pool, others have been told by email a week or so later, I suppose it may depend on who takes you for the interview and how they operate.

For the tests, I would say you probably will make some mistakes, my advice would be, work as quickly and effectivley as you can, try not to panic or get flustered, any mistakes you do make are now in the past, forget them and move on, fully concentrate on the task at hand, don't worry about the MMI for example when doing the tests. I gathered the tests are basically about making as few mistakes as possible, while concentrating for long periods of time, while reacting to certain events as quickly as possible.

These are my views of course, others may have had a different experience.

The paper assessments you can probably prepare for better due to practice material available, the computer assessments are more difficult to prepare for the lack of materials, but everyone else I can guarantee will feel the same as you.

Good luck

BarberGirl

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I appreciate the advice and pointers given. I’m happy to report that I passed the computer assessments and I think the MMI went really well. Thank you again

Slipper

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I appreciate the advice and pointers given. I’m happy to report that I passed the computer assessments and I think the MMI went really well. Thank you again
Hadn't realised you had it today, probably wasted my time posting earlier then . Glad it all went ok, did you get confirmation you had passed the MMI?

BarberGirl

Hadn't realised you had it today, probably wasted my time posting earlier then . Glad it all went ok, did you get confirmation you had passed the MMI?
No you didn’t waste your time. I didn’t start till 11:30. Thank you was very helpful. I should be told tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Are you currently in the talent pool or have you started training?

Slipper

No you didn’t waste your time. I didn’t start till 11:30. Thank you was very helpful. I should be told tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Are you currently in the talent pool or have you started training?
I said it tongue in cheek and posted an emoji that didn't show, so got lost in translation I think ;)

No not in training yet, been in the talent pool since September, so hopefully hear something soonish. Did they give you any idea of courses running now? Fingers crossed for tomorrow

BarberGirl

I said it tongue in cheek and posted an emoji that didn't show, so got lost in translation I think ;)

No not in training yet, been in the talent pool since September, so hopefully hear something soonish. Did they give you any idea of courses running now? Fingers crossed for tomorrow
Haha yes lost in translation.
Aw fingers crossed you will be soon, I did see on another forum that mentioned may time, so hopefully you won’t have to wait too much longer.

what station did you pick?

Slipper

Haha yes lost in translation.
Aw fingers crossed you will be soon, I did see on another forum that mentioned may time, so hopefully you won’t have to wait too much longer.

what station did you pick?
Cardiff. Yes I heard there is a course in May, people already know if they are on that or not, if one is going to run in June they should start calling people for medicals soon as they seem to be about 6 weeks before a course start date.

When I initially went into the talent pool they were still hoping to run one course a month, but don't know how that has changed with Covid.

Leemini

Cardiff. Yes I heard there is a course in May, people already know if they are on that or not, if one is going to run in June they should start calling people for medicals soon as they seem to be about 6 weeks before a course start date.

When I initially went into the talent pool they were still hoping to run one course a month, but don't know how that has changed with Covid.

BarberGirl

Well slowly things seem to be moving along now so fingers crossed you get your call soon. It’s hard work and a long time to wait but it will be so worth it when it pays off.

Just been told I’ve passed the MMI. So just the DMI now. I’m so excited :D

Last edited:

RedRobin

Go on amazon they have a book for £10 to aid with the tests its superb try typing train driver practice tests. I highly recommend for anyone wanting test practicing