• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Leemini

Well slowly things seem to be moving along now so fingers crossed you get your call soon. It’s hard work and a long time to wait but it will be so worth it when it pays off.

Just been told I’ve passed the MMI. So just the DMI now. I’m so excited :D
Congratulations on passing and good luck on The dmi

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Steam Power

Still nothing heard yet, think they are finishing off other locations first then doing Carmarthen. Just waiting for an assessment date now
Thanks Jim. You applied for Carmarthen too?
Have you had an acceptance email ?
I’ve only had the usual We’re still reviewing your application email so far, the last one was around a month ago.

JustJim93

Thanks Jim. You applied for Carmarthen too?
Have you had an acceptance email ?
I’ve only had the usual We’re still reviewing your application email so far, the last one was around a month ago.
Yeah I've applied for Carmarthen. Yes, I had an email back in September asking for my national insurance number and they said they will be in touch with an assessment date, still waiting for it lol

Steam Power

Yeah I've applied for Carmarthen. Yes, I had an email back in September asking for my national insurance number and they said they will be in touch with an assessment date, still waiting for it lol
Ah I see, that’s me done then, I’ve not had that email. I’ve only had the Your application is still under review email.
I guess that’s a no for me , gutted

Ah I see, that’s me done then, I’ve not had that email. I’ve only had the Your application is still under review email.
I wouldn't use that as any kind of indication. I'd not heard anything since late last year and have been called for an assessment centre next week. Others I know have had the regular updates, which I did too until about November and then nothing so I assumed I was out.

TrainTracks

I wouldn't use that as any kind of indication. I'd not heard anything since late last year and have been called for an assessment centre next week. Others I know have had the regular updates, which I did too until about November and then nothing so I assumed I was out.

Agreed. Plenty have had rejections. If you haven’t had a no then there is still a possibility of a yes!

What’s the deal with the NI number? Seems to be random who gets asked for it (obviously it’s not random, just wondering why some get asked)

JustJim93

It said that I had passed the first initial sift for the trainee train driver role in Carmarthen. And then she said that they won't be recruiting in this area within the near future. It is likely to be the end of the year.
But then she asked for my national insurance number again saying they are inviting me to an assessment day in a couple of months?

Steam Power

It said that I had passed the first initial sift for the trainee train driver role in Carmarthen. And then she said that they won't be recruiting in this area within the near future. It is likely to be the end of the year.
But then she asked for my national insurance number again saying they are inviting me to an assessment day in a couple of months?
Getting confused now, I had an email from Laura stating that I’ve passed the initial stage but the sifting has not yet started and they have not yet started the recruitment for Carmarthen as they don’t expect a course need until 2022. Sifting will continue over the coming months and not sure when I’ll hear.

JustJim93

Getting confused now, I had an email from Laura stating that I’ve passed the initial stage but the sifting has not yet started and they have not yet started the recruitment for Carmarthen as they don’t expect a course need until 2022. Sifting will continue over the coming months and not sure when I’ll hear.
When did you get your email? Strange isn't it? Did she say she is booking you in for an assessment or? I really don't know what's going on with it all?

Steam Power

When did you get your email? Strange isn't it? Did she say she is booking you in for an assessment or? I really don't know what's going on with it all?
I sent an email to recruitment asking if there is any likely update coming soon regarding Carmarthen and it was just a response email back. I was only emailed as a response email I sent them. I’ve received no email from Laura at recruitment at any time other than when I’ve emailed first, if you know what I mean. I’ve not been offered an assessment as of yet. I might not get an offer as the final sift has not yet taken place according to the information contained within the mail.

Cho cho 25

I’ll be surprised if you hear anything soon regarding Carmarthen. I’ve heard they’re slightly over staffed at the minute and I know there’s one or two from Cardiff depot waiting to transfer to Carmarthen depot as well.

RGJG

Why would you think that? Your application is still under review......which means it is still under review! As many have said, there is a backlog due to the pandemic so just be patient. I know people who have had a 'no' so I would say your still in the running.

To be honest the DMI is just getting to know you. They asked why I wanted to be a driver, employment history and some questions along the lines of the MMI.

The people doing my interview were lovely and the interview was very relaxed.

BarberGirl

To be honest the DMI is just getting to know you. They asked why I wanted to be a driver, employment history and some questions along the lines of the MMI.

The people doing my interview were lovely and the interview was very relaxed.
Thank you for you’re reply. Feel more relaxed about it now

Neither yet unfortunately, sat in the talent pool awaiting a start date.
Still? I had an email last September asking for my NI number, and another in December telling me I'd be contacted regarding sitting the assessments in the new year. Still refreshing my gmail account on a daily basis.
Hope you hear something soon.

I'm always glued to my emails as well. Don't know whether it's because Shrewsbury doesn't have many candidates in the talent pool that my start date might take a while, I only know of 1 other person awaiting a Shrewsbury start date on here.

Hope you hear something soon, fingers crossed we might all start at the same time.

I just wonder if they have progressed with a handful of Crewe, Chester & S'bury with a view to eventually starting you all on the same course then sending you off to your chosen depot when the time comes to do route knowledge.
Just speculating out loud.

craigybagel

Established Member
I just wonder if they have progressed with a handful of Crewe, Chester & S'bury with a view to eventually starting you all on the same course then sending you off to your chosen depot when the time comes to do route knowledge.
Just speculating out loud.
For what it's worth, the courses do normally feature trainees from a mixture of different depots; outside of Cardiff there are rarely enough trainees from one depot alone to fill a course.

Last edited:
I thought they might mix the groups up. To be fair I've only been in the talent pool since November so wasn't expecting anything for a while.

AJ1994

Hello, new to this forum but, I had an email off Laura asking for my NI number, just out of curiosity how long does it take to get a reply? Did anyone else on here apply for the Machynlleth position? T.I.A

JustJim93

Hello, new to this forum but, I had an email off Laura asking for my NI number, just out of curiosity how long does it take to get a reply? Did anyone else on here apply for the Machynlleth position? T.I.A
I had an email back in September asking for my NI number, was still waiting until last week where she emailed me again asking for my NI number saying an assessment will be booked in a couple of months, fingers crossed this is the case I applied for the Carmarthen depot

AJ1994

I had an email back in September asking for my NI number, was still waiting until last week where she emailed me again asking for my NI number saying an assessment will be booked in a couple of months, fingers crossed this is the case I applied for the Carmarthen depot
Thanks for your reply. fingers crossed we hear something back soon then :)