• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

mic1610

Evening everyone my first post here. Was reading for a couple of weeks now. I applied July last year and lost hope around October. I received email asking to confirm my NI number on 2nd April so for first I thought somebody was winding me up but invitation for assessment came through two weeks ago which I sat last week and yday received email confirming I passed it(had to read it couple of time to make sure I see correctly). Have my DMI next week so fingers crossed. I think it's very much dependant oof which depot you applied for (my closest is Llandudno Junction).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fredytrains

Has any one had any updates from Acorn recruitment over the last few months , Ive had a generic email few months ago now , still shortlisting apparently, wondering if any one had a rejection email in the last few months Or are we all in the same boat of No News is good News

AJ1994

Evening everyone my first post here. Was reading for a couple of weeks now. I applied July last year and lost hope around October. I received email asking to confirm my NI number on 2nd April so for first I thought somebody was winding me up but invitation for assessment came through two weeks ago which I sat last week and yday received email confirming I passed it(had to read it couple of time to make sure I see correctly). Have my DMI next week so fingers crossed. I think it's very much dependant oof which depot you applied for (my closest is Llandudno Junction).
Great news! congrats and good luck! I still haven't heard back from Laura after she asked for my NI number to do the check, I'll try ringing her today and question it.

Trevormax

Applied last July for Cardiff/South Wales Valleys area.
Had my first day assessment in September (I think) and passed. Been waiting since then for any further assessments, however seems lockdown has thrown a major spanner in the works.
Had an email yesterday from Laura asking if I was available for the second day of computer assessments and MMI which I replied to immediately. Had an email today confirming I am booked for it next week.
Looks like she has been very busy and seems like TfW recruitment has shifted away from S.Wales area for the time being due to operational needs. Hopefully gearing back up for S.Wales area again.
Fingers crossed I get through the second day :)

Out of interest, does anyone know what the MMI questions are for TfW? I realise I filled in the questionnaire on the first day but that was about 8 months ago so I can't quite remember what the questions were.
Thanks.

wobman

On Moderation
Had my first day assessment in September (I think) and passed. Been waiting since then for any further assessments, however seems lockdown has thrown a major spanner in the works.
Had an email yesterday from Laura asking if I was available for the second day of computer assessments and MMI which I replied to immediately. Had an email today confirming I am booked for it next week.
Looks like she has been very busy and seems like TfW recruitment has shifted away from S.Wales area for the time being due to operational needs. Hopefully gearing back up for S.Wales area again.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the MMI questions are for TfW? I realise I filled in the questionnaire on the first day but that was about 8 months ago so I can't quite remember what the questions were.
Thanks.
Operationaly TFW is struggling with a huge training backlog & drivers that started training in 2019 are only now passing out in the North Wales part of the business.

So as a result there's trainee drivers sitting around at home waiting for DIs & TFW still have multiple classes running.
Covid has caused very big problems for TFW & the training department are struggling to catch up.

Unfortunately if your in the recruitment process it's a case of being very very patient, the process can't be rushed.

Slipper

Operationaly TFW is struggling with a huge training backlog & drivers that started training in 2019 are only now passing out in the North Wales part of the business.

So as a result there's trainee drivers sitting around at home waiting for DIs & TFW still have multiple classes running.
Covid has caused very big problems for TFW & the training department are struggling to catch up.

Unfortunately if your in the recruitment process it's a case of being very very patient, the process can't be rushed.
Thanks wobman. I must admit the hardest part of the process for me has been the waiting, and the total lack of any meaningful communication with HR. I understand they must be extremely busy in these unprecedented times, but would it have hurt to send a blanket email to everyone in the process explaining things as you have? It would have taken about 5 minutes and saved all the rumour and speculation going on, not to mention the countless emails they must be recieving from everyone still in the process hoping for some news.
From my point of view I am trying to forget about it as much as possible now, and carry on with other things. If I get offered a position that's a bonus, but I'm honestly preparing for no offer to arrive due to the turmoil created by covid.

I realise we are all in the same position but I think for your own sake going forward it is best to forget about it as much as possible, this could drag on for years.

Steam Power

Thanks wobman. I must admit the hardest part of the process for me has been the waiting, and the total lack of any meaningful communication with HR. I understand they must be extremely busy in these unprecedented times, but would it have hurt to send a blanket email to everyone in the process explaining things as you have? It would have taken about 5 minutes and saved all the rumour and speculation going on, not to mention the countless emails they must be recieving from everyone still in the process hoping for some news.
From my point of view I am trying to forget about it as much as possible now, and carry on with other things. If I get offered a position that's a bonus, but I'm honestly preparing for no offer to arrive due to the turmoil created by covid.

I realise we are all in the same position but I think for your own sake going forward it is best to forget about it as much as possible, this could drag on for years.
I agree with you Slipper, I’m going to put it to the back of my mind otherwise it’ll drive me crazy checking emails etc so much; what will be will be.

Welsh lady

Thanks.
You'll be given an opportunity to review the answers you provided as a refresher

Leavesontrack

Has any one had any updates from Acorn recruitment over the last few months , Ive had a generic email few months ago now , still shortlisting apparently, wondering if any one had a rejection email in the last few months Or are we all in the same boat of No News is good News

Hey, i had a thanks but no thanks a few weeks ago.

Passed inital sift 3 years ago, but failed at telephone interview. Acorn lost my application 2 years ago. Applied in june and now finally got word. Just a generic no thanks email. Went for Cardiff. Pretty miffed but thats how it goes. Seems like its only going to get more difficult to get into the industry

wobman

On Moderation

The HR department outsourced a lot of work to Acorn & they use different methods, this has caused confusion.
In an ideal world it would all be dealt with in-house by TFW HR department, but with covid & the huge recruitment drive they just can't cope.

There are 2 classes running just in Chester continuously for the time being & they are struggling to keep up even with increased staff in the training department.

Everybody is working very hard to get the trainees trained but there's the inevitable covid backlog to resolve & that is very much complicating things.

Slipper

The HR department outsourced a lot of work to Acorn & they use different methods, this has caused confusion.
In an ideal world it would all be dealt with in-house by TFW HR department, but with covid & the huge recruitment drive they just can't cope.

There are 2 classes running just in Chester continuously for the time being & they are struggling to keep up even with increased staff in the training department.

Everybody is working very hard to get the trainees trained but there's the inevitable covid backlog to resolve & that is very much complicating things.
Thanks again mate. I have been in the talent pool since September 2020 so finished the process as such and just waiting for a course, was thinking that would be dealt with by TfW now, not Acorn wouldn't it?

mic1610

Thanks again mate. I have been in the talent pool since September 2020 so finished the process as such and just waiting for a course, was thinking that would be dealt with by TfW now, not Acorn wouldn't it?
I've seen not long ago that exsiting applications are handled by acorn until the process i complete, but applications made on new portal (comeaboard) go straight to TFW HR

wobman

On Moderation
It's all going over to TFW eventually, i don't know who is in charge of what at this present time unfortunately. TFW are in the middle of a big recruitment drive & it's a very complicated process.

Stead7

Hi all,

I applied back in September and still not heard anything but understand there's a backlog. I've not heard no though unlike some unfortunately have, so can only take that as good sign I guess but what I was wondering is, is there anywhere online I can practice all test papers just in case? I only have a Chromebook though

Many Thanks

To be honest you're better waiting for the practice material from TFW. That's what I used and it was more then enough to get you prepped for the day.

wobman

On Moderation
Started on 10th may.. it's pretty great to be fair.. trainers are amazing. A lot to learn though X
Your best taking your time and take it all in, I always say there's never a stupid question if your not sure of anything always ask.
What training centre are you based ?
Good luck

Haru

Congratulations! Seems like things are moving. Did you get a call from acorn or tfw themselves?

Good to see some movement but seems like Shrewsbury has been forgotten about. Have been keeping an eye out for freightliner, West Midland or Chiltern vacancies in the meantime.

Good to see some movement but seems like Shrewsbury has been forgotten about. Have been keeping an eye out for freightliner, West Midland or Chiltern vacancies in the meantime.
As you're Stourbridge I reckon you could easily get to Worcester within an hour, should GWR recruit trainees there in the future.

It makes me smile when members who post frequently during the recruitment process go quiet during the training. Absolutely not a dig, and a sure sign that they a) have got their heads in their books or b) don't visit the forum anymore as they've achieved what they set out to do. Its always appreciated when those who are training take the time to comment on their experience.

Slipper

I haven't heard anything either. Waiting for a Cardiff mainline course since September last year, no replies to emails sent

mic1610

I've had a DMI on 19th May and was told there might be a course in Chester during summer but nothing set in stone. I've applied for Llandudno so hopefully something comes up