• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Jh199995

Have you been given a start date yet? If so, Mainline or Valleys? Only wondering as you stated the talent pool was empty back in July so just trying to gauge how long it’s taking some from around July time assessments/DMI success to get offered a course start date.

Yeh I start end of sept for valleys

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

So I sat the 2nd stage assessments in Cardiff yesterday but ended up failing on the WAFV vigilance test (the grey and black squares).

That was the one I thought I’d done relatively well on and had maybe not done quite so well on the others. Also was the one I did better on with the training materials! Frustratingly the girl from HR running the assessment yesterday couldn’t tell me what my score was or how close I was/wasn’t to passing…

She did “strongly encourage” me to apply again when I can after the 6 month wait is up and seemed keen to stress that lots fail the 1st time but get through on the 2nd attempt.

Bit disheartening in all honesty but not much else I can do apart from hope I get through a 2nd time.
Exactly the same as me. Sat my 2nd assessments on Thursday and got told I failed the vigilance (grey,black dots) as well. That’s the one I was most confident in and nailed it every time in practice (software at home). Still pretty shocked tbh. Did not miss hit the button like some ppl say they have yet still pass and was pretty damn quick. Honestly don’t understand what I did which is the most frustrating part as no feedback/score is given.

Plodster

Exactly the same as me. Sat my 2nd assessments on Thursday and got told I failed the vigilance (grey,black dots) as well. That’s the one I was most confident in and nailed it every time in practice (software at home). Still pretty shocked tbh. Did not miss hit the button like some ppl say they have yet still pass and was pretty damn quick. Honestly don’t understand what I did which is the most frustrating part as no feedback/score is given.
Yep - I think I pressed once when I shouldn’t have. I was bloody focussed up to that point - pressing after a very slight pause to confirm when a black square appeared and was doubly focussed after!!
I have read elsewhere that others have done the same and passed this test.
I know I didn’t miss any black squares.

For those who have these tests coming up I recommend traineetraindriver.com if you have the £.
I found it really helped me to prepare.
Others say don’t bother. I guess it’s for each of us to decide.

Best of luck to you all when the time comes.

JustJim93

Anyone got anywhere yet with Carmarthen? Still heard absolutely nothing here
Still nothing, had an email on the 19th of August saying that if I was still interested to email back and say that I was. I heard they will be running assessment's towards the end of the year for Carmarthen.

Taff01

Still waiting to hear here, nothing from Acorn and nothing from anyone else either, just sitting tight and hoping. I applied for Cardiff and Carmarthen in July 2020. Anyone else heard anything about Carmarthen?
Had to reply to an email confirming I was still interested in the role late August for Carmarthen.

Steam Power

Still nothing, had an email on the 19th of August saying that if I was still interested to email back and say that I was. I heard they will be running assessment's towards the end of the year for Carmarthen.
Not had that email unfortunately

Had to reply to an email confirming I was still interested in the role late August for Carmarthen.
Didn’t get hat email, who was it from?

Catweasel

Hi all

Does anyone have any information on what the pension is for train driving please? How much do you pay into it each month, what % the contributions are etc.
I have had my medical so hopefully I will be starting soon, due to my age I can probably work for another 20 years, so would be interested to know what kind of pension I would get as it will not be a full term scheme.

Thanks for any info
Just about to send you a DM!

Slipper

My advice on what happened to me even though I passed ok. I found that after a while concentrating hard on the same square, I'm sure my mind started to play tricks on me and was telling me it was black when it wasn't. Anyway I found it a lot easier to judge by concentrating just outside the square so I was kind of picking up the change of colour in my peripheral vision. Hope that makes sense, give it a try see if it works for you.good luck

ShannyDaw

My advice on what happened to me even though I passed ok. I found that after a while concentrating hard on the same square, I'm sure my mind started to play tricks on me and was telling me it was black when it wasn't. Anyway I found it a lot easier to judge by concentrating just outside the square so I was kind of picking up the change of colour in my peripheral vision. Hope that makes sense, give it a try see if it works for you.good luck
That’s the only thing I could think maybe happened, that I potentially zoned out and imagined a change of colour when it didn’t happen…and I guess that’s what they’re testing for!

Might try getting hold of some software to try tests in preparation for next time.

Slipper

That’s the only thing I could think maybe happened, that I potentially zoned out and imagined a change of colour when it didn’t happen…and I guess that’s what they’re testing for!

Might try getting hold of some software to try tests in preparation for next time.
I used software definately helped me, not just for this test either.

For the sake of about £150 I thought it was well worth the investment to give myself the best possible chance of passing

BR98

Firstly, congrats on passing the DMI! Have you applied for Mainline or Valleys?
I was told that as well, but I was in the talent pool for around 2 months before I heard about my course starting - I would think you won't have to wait long, but that's just my experience, others may have been waiting a while.
I was delayed as I got holidays wrong, and thought I needed time off this year - when I told Laura I had the wrong year, she put me on the next available course. Have you told them you have pre-booked holidays?

Started my course in May, wasn't waiting long - only delay was my error saying I had a pre-booked holiday, but then I was put on the next available course when I told them my mistake. I started the application in July 2020, so was quite drawn out due to Covid-19 but amazing when I started!
Cheers mate, I've applied for the Valley lines, do you know if they put more people than they need into the talent pool and then choose the best people from there? Yes, I've put my holidays in for next July. Hopefully Ill be put on a course early next year with a bit of luck!

Have you been given a start date yet? If so, Mainline or Valleys? Only wondering as you stated the talent pool was empty back in July so just trying to gauge how long it’s taking some from around July time assessments/DMI success to get offered a course start date.
Is it how long you've been in the talent pool determines when you get allocated a course date or is it how well you done throughout the application process pushes you higher up the ladder in terms of start date?

Last edited:

6opher

Is it how long you've been in the talent pool determines when you get allocated a course date or is it how well you done throughout the application process pushes you higher up the ladder in terms of start date?

I believe it’s normally based on how well you interviewed to determine your position in the pool. Nothing to do with assessment scores. You just have to pass them… and I personally wouldn’t spend £150 on the software some have mentioned as it’s not needed in my opinion. Each to their own though.

As there is a lot more recruitment going on now it could be when you go into the pool or maybe it’s done in batches and then ranked. Who knows.
It is what it is though. You can’t jump people (unless they decline/delay their start date) so all you can do is wait to be called up. Hopefully it happens for you. At this point in time of recruitment I’m guessing it will but ones who get in at later dates might not be so lucky. It’s all guessing though and frustrating as hell.

I’m actually querying on behalf of a friend when I asked my question the other week. Just seeing if anyone around that time has been offered a start date yet. Good luck.

Sparky9909

Hi all

Ive passed my 1 stage and just waiting on a date for my stage 2. I have applied for tfw and sat stage 1 31/08/21 did anybody else go on this date and have you had a date for stage 2 yet

Thanks

wobman

On Moderation
Cheers mate, I've applied for the Valley lines, do you know if they put more people than they need into the talent pool and then choose the best people from there? Yes, I've put my holidays in for next July. Hopefully Ill be put on a course early next year with a bit of luck!

It would be good for you to research the new traction soon appearing on the valleys and the changes in the method of working.

Lm2020

I applied in Aug 2020 and still haven’t heard anything since the last ‘application still under review’ email in March, Starting to think they’ve lost my application, anyone else still waiting?

mic1610

Yes it would

you gone/going through any of these stages and do you have any tips you could share with me please
For mmi if tou know the standard questions you will be asked additional why, who, would you do anything different etc. to each one. For DMI do your research about the company, find something you like about them. What training and job looks like challanges and how you overcome them. Loads of people applying so make sure you stand out

JRogers92

I applied in Aug 2020 and still haven’t heard anything since the last ‘application still under review’ email in March, Starting to think they’ve lost my application, anyone else still waiting?
I’m in the exactly same position. Nothing since 11th of March ☺ I applied in August too X

Just emailed TFW to see whats going on with my application and I did get an automated response to say the process is still ongoing. Just hold out if you have not heard I think it will be early next year before the process is complete.

HeresHoping

For the MMI where can i find the questions? I completed a sentence on each at end of stage 1 tests but wasnt expecting that and cant remember what they were or what i put. I need to think of better examples!

NorthernTech

For the MMI where can i find the questions? I completed a sentence on each at end of stage 1 tests but wasnt expecting that and cant remember what they were or what i put. I need to think of better examples!
Use search bar at top right, type in mmi or mmi questions, on drop down list select ‘this forum’ rather than ‘everywhere’, and then fill your boots! It takes time to trawl through but its all there.

HeresHoping

Use search bar at top right, type in mmi or mmi questions, on drop down list select ‘this forum’ rather than ‘everywhere’, and then fill your boots! It takes time to trawl through but its all there.
I have done that and literally looked through so many posts, lots asking about the mmi but cannot find any example questions. Starting to worry if i cant find them as i need to totally re-think my answers! Only one i can remember is a time you have been in a emergency situation and i think a situation similar to role of train driver :'(