• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Milkman21

Cheers all for the info.

Does anyone know if they phone you after the medical. Just missed a call from an unknown number.

If its nornally an email then guess I'm screwed lol.

danludd

Cheers all for the info.

Does anyone know if they phone you after the medical. Just missed a call from an unknown number.

If its nornally an email then guess I'm screwed lol.
With me, they usually left a voicemail then phoned back a few hours later.

MH211

Does anyone have any information about what is going on with the Talent Pool for North depots? I'm in for HHD and LLJ and now been in the talent pool a year (paper tests July 2021, DMI September). Getting a bit worried that they have over-recruited and will let the talent pool lapse at 2 years...

Simotrfc

Does anyone have any information about what is going on with the Talent Pool for North depots? I'm in for HHD and LLJ and now been in the talent pool a year (paper tests July 2021, DMI September). Getting a bit worried that they have over-recruited and will let the talent pool lapse at 2 years...
Not sure if they’re working through them now mate. One of each on my course now, both were in the talent pool for a good while. Most people on this course have been in over a year.

Allaboard27

Keep practising the bourdon. Do it several times throughout the day. It's crazy how quick you learn to see the 4 dots and eliminate the rest.

The tones test is pretty simple. In a nut shell you count, the last few have a higher amount so keep concentrating as I lost count on one thinking it'll end soon

The report writing again is pretty simple, you just need to make sure your writing is neat and makes sense.

Dials tests is where a few people become unstuck. Make sure you understand the 3 practice questions as its slightly different to the practice material. But they do come over and make sure you have the 3 practice questions right. Try and work quick here. I don't know how many lines they are looking for but I got to 38 and someone else got to 42.

The plumber tests, you are just looking for two identical symbols on the end of each row, personally I don't know if anyone can fail this as its the easiest test there is.
Then you do the same with tones playing. Try and count the tones remember the number and quickly circle the double symbols before the next set of tones play.

I have just done my computer tests which I passed, waiting on outcome of mmi. Let me know if you want any more detail on this

I applied April time this year. Did my computer tests and mmi this week. All went really quick compared to what some people have said.

Email recruitment and ask for an update if you app is still showing as pending
Hi Dan,

Mainly nervous about the memory test, any advice on how you practiced for this? Other than the sample question they send you? I’m fine with the dials, it’s just the passage of information and multi choice questions that follow.

TIA

Chris1305

Hi.
Can anyone confirm that the first assessment (paper tests)are just that and there are no computer tests / mmi? If no mmi, Do you have to provide the answers for the mmi in readiness for next stage?

Thank you

NorthernTech

Hi.
Can anyone confirm that the first assessment (paper tests)are just that and there are no computer tests / mmi? If no mmi, Do you have to provide the answers for the mmi in readiness for next stage?

Thank you
When I did mine it was exactly that, paper tests only and a questionnaire as to what they will ask you in mmi. You only need to give a brief answer though, and I believe you can change the answer at mmi too.

CardiffDan

Hi Dan,

Mainly nervous about the memory test, any advice on how you practiced for this? Other than the sample question they send you? I’m fine with the dials, it’s just the passage of information and multi choice questions that follow.

TIA

Do you mean GLOP.

It has all different bits of info in. Some people take notes and learn from that.

Me personally, I read the passage, then skimmed back over it, thinking
Hi.

Thank you
All correct. You put a one sentence answer to the questions. At mmi they remind you what you put. However you can change it

Jacob Didcote

Hi all,
Had a email from TfW regarding the Shunter Driver Interview I had a couple weeks ago. Passed the interview and now hopefully into sit the paper and computer tests soon. No date as of yet but already nervous thinking about all the tests I need to prepare for! Chuffed to say the least!

danludd

Hi all,
Had a email from TfW regarding the Shunter Driver Interview I had a couple weeks ago. Passed the interview and now hopefully into sit the paper and computer tests soon. No date as of yet but already nervous thinking about all the tests I need to prepare for! Chuffed to say the least!
Nice mate. Good luck, hope all goes well!

Milkman21

Just had confirmation of medical. Contract next week and dbs check etc. How did you get on Milkman

Yea all good mate. Just doing my dbs checks etc now.

Does anyone know if they go into financial details. Credit checks etc. Bad breakup few months back left me with a defaulted credit card and not so good credit. So this is now my next worry

baz962

Established Member
Yea all good mate. Just doing my dbs checks etc now.

Does anyone know if they go into financial details. Credit checks etc. Bad breakup few months back left me with a defaulted credit card and not so good credit. So this is now my next worry
Although I'm not with TFW I am a driver and started at one toc as a trainee four years ago and a year ago I moved as a qualified. Similar position to you with credit, but way worse than one credit card. There is no reason that bad credit should stop you. Pretty sure that's not what a DBs is for.

Milkman21

Although I'm not with TFW I am a driver and started at one toc as a trainee four years ago and a year ago I moved as a qualified. Similar position to you with credit, but way worse than one credit card. There is no reason that bad credit should stop you. Pretty sure that's not what a DBs is for.

Cheers mate. Slowly sorting it. But was left in a mess. Stupidly let her use my card and she said she was paying it off.
Happily single now haha

danludd

Cheers mate. Slowly sorting it. But was left in a mess. Stupidly let her use my card and she said she was paying it off.
Happily single now haha
It's only a basic DBS, but I don't think financial come up on it anyway.
I don't remember seeing anything in the background info about doing credit checks on you.
You shouldn't have too long to wait for the DBS, I sent all my stuff off on a Friday, it came back the following Thursday in the post.

Milkman21

Is anyone still on here that is on or has completed the course

A friend of mine was talking and his mate was a guard and went on to drive.
He mentioned about me getting a course and said its near on impossible to get through it with no previous experience of railways.
Due to signs signals forms to know about etc.

Now I know the railway must have alot of drivers with no previous, so is this just a throwaway comment from him