• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

CardiffDan

Is anyone still on here that is on or has completed the course

A friend of mine was talking and his mate was a guard and went on to drive.
He mentioned about me getting a course and said its near on impossible to get through it with no previous experience of railways.
Due to signs signals forms to know about etc.

Now I know the railway must have alot of drivers with no previous, so is this just a throwaway comment from him

Hope so mate as I have no experience. But you can say that about any job.

I had no experience of being in the police and got through the course and learnt all the rules, laws etc. So don't worry I'm sure the trainers know how to get us through it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member

He mentioned about me getting a course and said its near on impossible to get through it with no previous experience of railways.

Now I know the railway must have alot of drivers with no previous, so is this just a throwaway comment from him
There's a word I'd like to use to reply to this - but I'd get banned straight away. But suffice to say their remark is nonsense.

Don't get me wrong - I went in as an ex guard and it certainly helped. But 4 out of 7 on my course were brand new to the railways and they got through it just fine. The course is aimed for people with no prior knowledge at all.

There's a lot to take in, and it'll be hard work, but there's a reason why the failure rate in training is low (not zero, but low). For the vast amount of trainees - if they can get through the aptitude tests, they can get through training.

Milkman21

There's a word I'd like to use to reply to this - but I'd get banned straight away. But suffice to say their remark is nonsense.

Don't get me wrong - I went in as an ex guard and it certainly helped. But 4 out of 7 on my course were brand new to the railways and they got through it just fine. The course is aimed for people with no prior knowledge at all.

There's a lot to take in, and it'll be hard work, but there's a reason why the failure rate in training is low (not zero, but low). For the vast amount of trainees - if they can get through the aptitude tests, they can get through training.
Cheers for that. Not sure why the comment was made. Doesn't know me, unless he wanted to make it seem better he passed. But appreciate you putting it straight

Simotrfc

I’m currently on the course. Plenty without railway experience doing very well. Some on the course have previous experiences and help others out.

Plodster

As said above by @craigybagel
The course is designed to teach you everything you need to know.
Going in without any prior railway knowledge isn’t a problem at all.
On my course 7 of us had no previous railway experience.
The 8 person was a guard and said he had to relearn things from a driver perspective and forget the guarding.

You will be fine it’s a well structured course with good trainers who want to get the best out of you.

The person making that comment may have found the course a real challenge. Others maybe find it not quite so demanding.

You will learn loads and have a good time too.

Enjoy and good luck.

Yeah, they are talking utter rot. I came into the job with no railway experience and now I'm driving with no issues.

You get taught what you need to know in the training school then put it all into practice with your instructor once you are out driving.

@Plodster Yes but we were all highly intelligent on our course.........

Plodster

Yeah, they are talking utter rot. I came into the job with no railway experience and now I'm driving with no issues.

You get taught what you need to know in the training school then put it all into practice with your instructor once you are out driving.

@Plodster Yes but we were all highly intelligent on our course.........
Lol :D8-)

6opher

He’s talking absolute rubbish. Doesn’t mean you’ll pass the tests or even get through the initial sift but when the jobs come up, apply as loads of externals with no experience whatsoever have been getting on courses the last few years.

RyanC87

Hi All, hope everyone is well and looking forward to starting soon

I am in the market for a new car, and seen one of the benefits TFW offer is an electric car through salary sacrifice. Has anyone done this yet, and know who they use, costs etc. Just weighing up waiting or not. also do you have to be in the company for X amount of time before you apply.

danludd

I am in the market for a new car, and seen one of the benefits TFW offer is an electric car through salary sacrifice. Has anyone done this yet, and know who they use, costs etc. Just weighing up waiting or not. also do you have to be in the company for X amount of time before you apply.
That's bonkers they offer an electric car through salary sacrifice, doubt I'd go for it myself. But I reckon I will buy a new ebike through cycle to work scheme :lol:

CardiffDan

That's bonkers they offer an electric car through salary sacrifice, doubt I'd go for it myself. But I reckon I will buy a new ebike through cycle to work scheme :lol:

Most offer teslas for 350 per month after the tax part.

It mentions in the original job description they are available but don't know what cars or if you need to be qualified etc.

Bikes are worth it. I had a ribble al e cracking bike and the savings are Brill

craigybagel

Established Member

It's a lease scheme through Tusker. Link here.

craigybagel

Established Member
I've no idea if there is a minimum time. I believe though there are limits on how much you can spend based on your salary, and bear in mind for the first year or so you'd be on the much lower trainee salary.

6opher

Most offer teslas for 350 per month after the tax part.

It mentions in the original job description they are available but don't know what cars or if you need to be qualified etc.

Bikes are worth it. I had a ribble al e cracking bike and the savings are Brill

You are in for a shock on our scheme then as it’s certainly nowhere near £350pm. I looked at this scheme and decided to avoid it like the plague and bought a new car elsewhere.

RyanC87

Do you get confirmation once all your background checks, dbs etc are done.

I looking to hand notice in soon, and I know there will be no issues but still a little twitchy

mic1610

I looking to hand notice in soon, and I know there will be no issues but still a little twitchy
I know some people had a phonecall saying it all came back clear but I rung them and asked.

danludd

I received my DBS in the post which told me it was clear. When I had my teams meeting to verify my ID, I asked about it and she said they only hear from pertemps if there's an issue with your checks.

Carrollg76

Nice, same as me then. I'll see you on the 5th :D I handed mine in this week, it was a good feeling haha!
I’m starting the 5th aswell, anyone had a Teams invite for the first day induction? When I spoke to Laura when confirming my ID she mentioned first day will be WFH via teams.