• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

Eccles1983

On Moderation
I hope I hear something soon! It's frying me!! Will keep you posted on any updates, hope you get something soon!

I thought they had been assessed and taken all the precautions so in cab training could continue? Will be gutting if they do have to suspend.. fingers crossed that's not the case.

It's definitely suspended.

It's been reassessed and all training bubbles have been popped. For the next month at the minimum.

The backlog is huge, and without trying to sound like kicking people when they are down - a lot of qualified drivers require cab training before trainees.

Unless they increase by double at the minimum the number of instructors then this backlog will take 18-24mths to clear.

Lots of depots require traction training for 230/769/MK4. Then new units are coming online in the next 2 years.

It's a mess. Good luck to anyone trying to get in.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dougal07

Hi new to this page , I applied for trainee train driver for Cardiff in July had a few responses from acorn saying still under review , my last email was 23/12/20 , anyone in the same boat ?

Welshp88

Hi new to this page , I applied for trainee train driver for Cardiff in July had a few responses from acorn saying still under review , my last email was 23/12/20 , anyone in the same boat ?
Yeah exactly the same. As frustrating as it is I feel we need to sit tight, from reading a few threads there are huge delays on newbie training never mind recruitment!

Steam Power

At least it’s a positive that we are still in the mix
Hi guys, I applied for Cardiff and Carmarthen last July and I’m still getting the “Your application is still under review“
mails, the last one received in December so I’m just sitting tight with absolutely everything crossed and hoping for the best. The best of luck to everyone who’s waiting and who’s been successful already.

Jh199995

Hi all, had an email today from laura asking me to go down to Cardiff to do the 1st stage, anyone got any information please as to what to expect from the paper test and computer tests please. Thank you
Is this for Cardiff ? Last email i had of Laura 04/11 she said she would ensure she contacts me to get me on the next assessments. good luck btw

Anyone heard from Laura? Still waiting for date for my computer assessment. I’ve emailed a couple times with no reply

I became a tad impatient and emailed TfW at the end of November. Laura replied, apologising for the delay, and assured me I'd hear something in the new year. Whilst I've yet to receive my assessment dates I certainly felt better off the back of her response. I'm almost certain I've applied to a different depot to you though.

BarberGirl

I became a tad impatient and emailed TfW at the end of November. Laura replied, apologising for the delay, and assured me I'd hear something in the new year. Whilst I've yet to receive my assessment dates I certainly felt better off the back of her response. I'm almost certain I've applied to a different depot to you though.
Thank you. Want to get the ball rolling, I know these are difficult times so everything is slowed down but I am becoming a couch potato haha. Where have you applied for? I’ve applied for Cardiff

Had an email back from Laura. Due to government guidelines the assessments are on hold at the moment. Stick with it everyone we will get there! :)

Last edited:

Welsh lady

Thank you. Want to get the ball rolling, I know these are difficult times so everything is slowed down but I am becoming a couch potato haha. Where have you applied for? I’ve applied for Cardiff

Had an email back from Laura. Due to government guidelines the assessments are on hold at the moment. Stick with it everyone we will get there! :)
Aww I hope you hear back soon! I don't think it'll be for long because they didn't stop them last year, I went for my first assessment in the September but it was only local lockdowns. Fingers crossed for you!

BarberGirl

Aww I hope you hear back soon! I don't think it'll be for long because they didn't stop them last year, I went for my first assessment in the September but it was only local lockdowns. Fingers crossed for you!
I went for my first in September passed was due to go for computer test then but due to injuring my eye I had to cancel and then with everything going on been held up. Fingers crossed by February Everything be back on track. Have you done both assessments and interviews?

Welsh lady

I went for my first in September passed was due to go for computer test then but due to injuring my eye I had to cancel and then with everything going on been held up. Fingers crossed by February Everything be back on track. Have you done both assessments and interviews?
We would have been doing ours roughly the same time then I guess. Did paper in September and computer in the October. Dmi in November now just chilling in the pool.. had my medical last week but not heard back off that still.

BarberGirl

We would have been doing ours roughly the same time then I guess. Did paper in September and computer in the October. Dmi in November now just chilling in the pool.. had my medical last week but not heard back off that still.
Thats brilliant, well done. Yes I was due to do my computer test in October but due to my injury I only had use of 1 eye for 3 weeks. Fingers crossed won’t be long for you and they will have you out of the pool. Did you have the mmi the same day as your computer assessment?

Welsh lady

Thats brilliant, well done. Yes I was due to do my computer test in October but due to my injury I only had use of 1 eye for 3 weeks. Fingers crossed won’t be long for you and they will have you out of the pool. Did you have the mmi the same day as your computer assessment?
Aww thank you! Hope you get through it soon! Glad your eye is better to! Yes mmi straight after computer tests and then dmi about 2weeks after that then.

CPFC#1

There's a course provisionally booked for April as well so it's good to know everything is still going ahead.

Russt91

15th of Feb anyone else had news
Hi never posted on here but have been reading as I went through the process so thanks to everyones input on here!

Had my medical 12th of Jan and on Monday given my start date for Chester on the 15th of feb as well.

CPFC#1

The hold up will be once the trainees leave the school & go to their instructors, the most recent covid furloughed trainees still haven't passed out yet. It's been the longest course ever for them, they are back at home again now with bubbles being suspended again.

It would be good if there was an agreement for them trainees to move onto the higher salary as this delay is beyond their control. I know other TOCs have increased the salaries for their trainees after a year no matter where they are up to.

123hd

That's great news! Hopefully see you then
I applied 2 years ago in the Jan. Never heard anything til Dec of 2019. Got put in the pool last Jan. So its been a year of waiting. Will be gutted leaving my current TOC but very much looking forward to a new challenge. Hopefully it goes ahead

CPFC#1

I applied 2 years ago in the Jan. Never heard anything til Dec of 2019. Got put in the pool last Jan. So its been a year of waiting. Will be gutted leaving my current TOC but very much looking forward to a new challenge. Hopefully it goes ahead
Oh Jesus that's a long time!! Well the wait has paid off now haha! Have you already had a medical?

123hd

Oh Jesus that's a long time!! Well the wait has paid off now haha! Have you already had a medical?
I know! Got it on the 2nd Feb. Need to relocate too so a fair bit to get done but all will be worth it in the end. When did you apply out of curiosity?

CPFC#1

I know! Got it on the 2nd Feb. Need to relocate too so a fair bit to get done but all will be worth it in the end. When did you apply out of curiosity?
Yea will definitely be worth it.
I only applied in August, I'm shocked at how quickly my application has progressed.

Mrt83

Congratulations to those who have start dates, hope it all goes well.
Does anyone have info about dates for Cardiff or if any courses are planned?

Welsh lady

Congratulations to those who have start dates, hope it all goes well.
Does anyone have info about dates for Cardiff or if any courses are planned?
Last I heard they were awaiting approval of the next group for Cardiff. Not heard anything since.