• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transport for Wales - Trainee Train Drivers

TescoHamSalad

Sorry to hear that mate. Was it this Monday just gone. If so we must have been together.

I'm worried about the GLOP part. My mind went to mush and could hardly remember any of it

All the best with your conductor role

Yes, the 16th so we must have been.

Thanks, it's okay, like I said I'm not upset by the result. Conductor was what I was set on first and driver really was an afterthought. I was just lucky to be off work that day and got my application in before it closed. (Also, for those that missed out this time, the woman from recruiting that invigilated our tests did tell us TFW are going to be recruiting in smaller batches, so best to keep a CV up to date and a keen eye on the recruitment page).

With the GLOP part, I think the questions I struggled to remember was what the signs meant and the number/duration of the whistle blasts. Couldn't remember, even though I scribbled down it in my notes and made drawings!

You're probably just overanalysing yourself as you're naturally anxious for the results. For me, I thought I failed 2/3 of the online tests I had to do for conductor, but every time I was proven wrong. I know it’s not going to help, but you’ve got the weekend to wait it out, so try and relax and put it out of your mind. You might be pleasantly surprised come next week!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carl98k

Got my results from taking the paper test on Monday. Failed it, not that surprised. Pretty sure I messed up the first part of the tones assessment. Found other parts easier, though without any of the results on hand, that could be total rubbish.

Ultimately, I'm not downhearted. I’ve been given a date for a conductor interview, which was the first role I applied for and the one I was most interested in doing. I only applied to driver to see how far I could get. I was very surprised that I made it past shortlisting, given how many we were told applied.

Good luck to those who made it through and to those who failed, don’t give up, you’ll get there eventually!
Just be aware that if you failed Group Bourdon that’s one life gone. When I did mine (for another TOC) one of the guys lost a life as he’d already failed it as conductors have to complete it.

TescoHamSalad

Just be aware that if you failed Group Bourdon that’s one life gone. When I did mine (for another TOC) one of the guys lost a life as he’d already failed it as conductors have to complete it.
So I've had to do three online tests before going to interview. SCAAT, RAAT and TCT ( Safe Concentration & Attention Test, Rules and Acquisition Aptitude Test, and Ticket Checking Test ). I did speak to the inviduator before leaving the driver test she said it's only an interview after the tests. So that's probably not an issue for me going forward?

Last edited:

DannyC101

So I've had to do three online tests before going to interview. SCAAT, RAAT and TCT ( Safe Concentration & Attention Test, Rules and Acquisition Aptitude Test, and Ticket Checking Test ). I did speak to the inviduator before leaving the driver test she said it's only an interview after the tests. So that's probably not an issue for me going forward?
Sorry to hear you failed the paper tests. I had mine on Monday too but am still anxiously awaiting the result. Were you in the afternoon or morning session? I lost my way on three of the ten which floor questions too. Good luck with the conductor process.

Shunted

Sorry to hear you failed the paper tests. I had mine on Monday too but am still anxiously awaiting the result. Were you in the afternoon or morning session? I lost my way on three of the ten which floor questions too. Good luck with the conductor process.
The lift and which floor part is just to get you a bit flustered, as long as you just counted the number of low tones you’ll be fine

DannyC101

The lift and which floor part is just to get you a bit flustered, as long as you just counted the number of low tones you’ll be fine
The context didn't fluster me I just got muddled up whilst counting and had to guess on 3 of the questions. Confident I got it back and got the other 7 correct though

TescoHamSalad

Thanks, I was in the morning session. Went by faster than I was expecting, think we were only there for around 2 ½ hours. Personally, I found myself loosing track when counting. Much easier only having the one pitch of tone to worry about. Good luck to yourself too, hopefully you’ll be on the next step!

CardiffDan

Congratulations hopefully not too long for you.

Also congrats to everyone who had their results from the paper test today that passed.

Hopefully if you didn't you can get back on an assessment once the times up and smash it next time

danludd

Sorry to hear that mate. Was it this Monday just gone. If so we must have been together.

I'm worried about the GLOP part. My mind went to mush and could hardly remember any of it

All the best with your conductor role

That's good to know. Cheers mate. Hope you aren't waiting too long to get started
Hopefully I don't have a long wait! Itching to get started haha.

Have you had your assessment results through yet?

CardiffDan

Hopefully I don't have a long wait! Itching to get started haha.

Have you had your assessment results through yet?
Yea come through yesterday. I passed. Was a little shocked as I could of sworn I messed up. They are going to email assessment dates for the next stage as soon as they can

Pbowles87

Had my contract through today . Just wandering if anyone can explain how the rostered holidays work? Do you have have any say on the dates of these?

craigybagel

Established Member
Had my contract through today . Just wandering if anyone can explain how the rostered holidays work? Do you have have any say on the dates of these?
Short answer - sort of.

Long answer - it's complicated. Most of your annual leave is in the form of 5 week long blocks. You get 1 block in Spring, 3 in Summer, and 1 in Autumn/Winter.

To always ensure there are enough drivers available to cover the service, the blocks are divided up equally amongst all the drivers at the depot. These are divided into periods - with period 1 giving you annual leave at the start of those seasons (so your spring week will be around January/February, your summer 3 weeks in April and your Autumn week in October), and period 9 being the other extreme (spring at the beginning of April, summer in late September/early October and Autumn being over Christmas).

Obviously some periods are better than others - so to make it fair the period you get rotates in a predetermined order, so you'll cycle through all 9 periods over 9 years.

The good news is that you can swap with someone else's blocks if you so wish, you're not stuck with what you're originally given. Also, some blocks aren't always full, so if there is space in another block you can swap into it.

You also get a number of "floating days" every year, which are individually days you can take off. You can take these at any time - except that only a certain amount of drivers can do so at the same time. Every depot will have its own limit on how many drivers can be off on the same day.

It's all very complicated and I've only scratched the surface really - but it will all be explained to you properly in training. Don't worry though, most people are able to get the annual leave they want one way or another. Don't expect to be able to get every Christmas week off, but in general it's not too hard to get what you want.

Don't forget as well that almost all drivers get a 5 day weekend every 3 weeks, without needing to use any annual leave at all!

Pbowles87

Short answer - sort of.

Long answer - it's complicated. Most of your annual leave is in the form of 5 week long blocks. You get 1 block in Spring, 3 in Summer, and 1 in Autumn/Winter.

To always ensure there are enough drivers available to cover the service, the blocks are divided up equally amongst all the drivers at the depot. These are divided into periods - with period 1 giving you annual leave at the start of those seasons (so your spring week will be around January/February, your summer 3 weeks in April and your Autumn week in October), and period 9 being the other extreme (spring at the beginning of April, summer in late September/early October and Autumn being over Christmas).

Obviously some periods are better than others - so to make it fair the period you get rotates in a predetermined order, so you'll cycle through all 9 periods over 9 years.

The good news is that you can swap with someone else's blocks if you so wish, you're not stuck with what you're originally given. Also, some blocks aren't always full, so if there is space in another block you can swap into it.

You also get a number of "floating days" every year, which are individually days you can take off. You can take these at any time - except that only a certain amount of drivers can do so at the same time. Every depot will have its own limit on how many drivers can be off on the same day.

It's all very complicated and I've only scratched the surface really - but it will all be explained to you properly in training. Don't worry though, most people are able to get the annual leave they want one way or another. Don't expect to be able to get every Christmas week off, but in general it's not too hard to get what you want.

Don't forget as well that almost all drivers get a 5 day weekend every 3 weeks, without needing to use any annual leave at all!
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense now

craigybagel

Established Member
I was wondering the same thanks, but to add this I was wondering what the shifts look like. Is anyone happy to share the shift pattern for cardiff and valley lines

Thanks
Pretty sure Cardiff Valleys are like most of TFW on a 4 day week now - so on week one your rest days are Monday and Tuesday, week two Wednesday and Thursday and week three Friday and Saturday, which links back into week one giving you the 5 day weekend every 3 weeks I mentioned earlier.

Normally it'll alternate between a week of earlies and a week of lates, with the odd week if nights thrown in here and there as well - the exact composition will depend on your depot.

6opher

Short answer - sort of.

It’s 4 weeks block leave on the valleys, not 5. 1 spring, 1 winter & 2 summer. So 16 block and 12 floating days. Depending on when Xmas falls you have to keep a day for that aswell.

Regarding shifts, you could end up with 2 weeks of afternoons on a trot (not often) but generally it alternates between earlies and afternoons with some days chucked in now and then. Nights come around 3/4 times a year.

Goodwills

Pretty sure Cardiff Valleys are like most of TFW on a 4 day week now - so on week one your rest days are Monday and Tuesday, week two Wednesday and Thursday and week three Friday and Saturday, which links back into week one giving you the 5 day weekend every 3 weeks I mentioned earlier.

Normally it'll alternate between a week of earlies and a week of lates, with the odd week if nights thrown in here and there as well - the exact composition will depend on your depot.
Appreciate that thank you, I might have missed something but how do Sundays work?
Looking at the shifts you’ve said I presuming you’re not rostered to work sundays for the 4 day week.
Is it down to skeleton staff and turns taken?
Thanks again

craigybagel

Established Member
It’s 4 weeks block leave on the valleys, not 5. 1 spring, 1 winter & 2 summer. So 16 block and 12 floating days. Depending on when Xmas falls you have to keep a day for that aswell.

Regarding shifts, you could end up with 2 weeks of afternoons on a trot (not often) but generally it alternates between earlies and afternoons with some days chucked in now and then. Nights come around 3/4 times a year.
We've got the option at my depot of only taking 4 block weeks and having the fifth as extra floating days instead, I didn't know that was the normal way of doing things on the Valleys.
Appreciate that thank you, I might have missed something but how do Sundays work?
Looking at the shifts you’ve said I presuming you’re not rostered to work sundays for the 4 day week.
Is it down to skeleton staff and turns taken?
Thanks again
I left them out because again they're complicated :lol:

Sundays are outside the working week - your basic pay is based on a 35 hour week where you work on 4 out of 6 days a week as shown above.

Additionally to that, you are rostered to work a certain amount of Sundays - the exact amount varies per depot between 1 in 3 and 1 in 6, and i believe the Valleys have fairly few Sundays (Sunday service levels have traditionally been a lot lower on the Valleys than they have on Mainline. My depot runs nearly a full service on a Sunday).

If it's your rostered Sunday and you choose to work it, you get paid it as overtime at an enhanced rate (I won't say how enhanced as again I believe that varies between depots). If you don't want to work it, you can either find someone else to do it yourself or ask resources to find a volunteer, and then they do it and get the overtime.

However, if there is nobody else who wants to do it then you're stuck with it as enforced overtime. Pretty rare for that scenario to happen - normally every depot has a bunch of keen drivers who do as much overtime as they can who'll happily take it off you, but it can happen.

Naturally there are a whole load of exemptions to the above rules involving things like annual leave and golden tickets but it starts getting very complicated and genuinely the best advice i can give is not to worry about it, it'll all be explained by someone more qualified than me when you get here. Plus I might have inadvertently made more assumptions about the Valleys that aren't true for the rest of the network.

And then there's the minor issue that a whole set of negotiations are currently taking place between ASLEF and TfW regarding making changes to our T&C's, and it's known that one of TfW's goals is to bring Sundays inside the working week, so this all might change again in a year or two! Again, don't let it bother you. It'll all become apparent in time - and at the end of the day, it's still a fantastic job you won't regret persuing.

Lm2020

Does anybody know what’s happening with the recruitment process at the moment? I’ve still not heard anything since the last your application is under review email which was over a year ago, have we been forgotten about? Or are people still finding out now? Thanks

CardiffDan

Hi mate, I have my first assessment next week. (Paper test) any tips or insight?
Cheers

Keep practising the bourdon. Do it several times throughout the day. It's crazy how quick you learn to see the 4 dots and eliminate the rest.

The tones test is pretty simple. In a nut shell you count, the last few have a higher amount so keep concentrating as I lost count on one thinking it'll end soon

The report writing again is pretty simple, you just need to make sure your writing is neat and makes sense.

Dials tests is where a few people become unstuck. Make sure you understand the 3 practice questions as its slightly different to the practice material. But they do come over and make sure you have the 3 practice questions right. Try and work quick here. I don't know how many lines they are looking for but I got to 38 and someone else got to 42.

The plumber tests, you are just looking for two identical symbols on the end of each row, personally I don't know if anyone can fail this as its the easiest test there is.
Then you do the same with tones playing. Try and count the tones remember the number and quickly circle the double symbols before the next set of tones play.

I have just done my computer tests which I passed, waiting on outcome of mmi. Let me know if you want any more detail on this
Does anybody know what’s happening with the recruitment process at the moment? I’ve still not heard anything since the last your application is under review email which was over a year ago, have we been forgotten about? Or are people still finding out now? Thanks
I applied April time this year. Did my computer tests and mmi this week. All went really quick compared to what some people have said.

Email recruitment and ask for an update if you app is still showing as pending

mic1610

Which depot did you apply for? North is a bit quieter than south atm I think.

mic1610

Crewe and Chester
A few pages before people were saying Chester is still clearing backlog from last year, not sure about Crewe.
If you sent an email to recruitment you can wait as long as two weeks for the reply so be patient.

Lm2020

A few pages before people were saying Chester is still clearing backlog from last year, not sure about Crewe.
If you sent an email to recruitment you can wait as long as two weeks for the reply so be patient.
Thanks much appreciated, Is it Acorn that we contact? Are they still dealing with it all?