• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travel in Hungary

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilmc

If you buy a ticket in Hungary, is it only valid for a specific train? Am thinking of breaking a journey at a junction station for some lunch and the app doesn't envisage that if buying a through ticket, bizarrely the cost for every journey varies by a few forints.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dutchflyer

Established Member
NO, but for the day you choose. And for a longer distance (forgot from how far in KM) also the morning after. It is clearly stated on the ticket as I remember-but in HU. Note: you also get a kind of receipt with Tax nr-this is not the actual ticket! If you struggle with the lingo-use the yellow machines in all main stations-these even give a small discount if you pay by card, but most also take cash.
BUT; for all IC-trains you need BOTH a REServation and the usual surcharge (based on distance again) for ´fast=GYORS trains. These will be less as 2GBP even for a long distance, but at busy times the rather short IC-trains (will have AC and wifi) will sell out a few hrs before. THESE are for the actual trains used-so that may mean a lunch break on the way doubles these surcharges, even though the base ticket remains valid and you have to preplan. Fast trains require the surcharge only-the main Szeged line trains have both Gyors (non AC ) and IC-cars in the same train.
Fares are indeed exactly based on the nr of KMs used-and this also means that in case of alternative routings the fare may differ a few HUF-the very same farescale now also applies to buses from Volan-it is planned to merge the 2 so as to better coördinate routes/timings. All in all its an extremely set up logical system-which kind of characterises many things in HU. It is just that you need some mental change to get the basic line.
There are no discounts for the occasional visitor from now out of EU GB, and even InterRail etc passes will hardly pay off. Seniors from 65 from EU ONLY!! get free travel on all trains/bus/tram/metro, but still have to pay the surcharges if needed.
There are a very few ride-at-will day tickets, but I think only in the summer season-for around Balatonlake and for the scenic area N-W of Budapest (Danube bend), incl some buses and even a ferry. I think those for BKK/BKV=BUdapest urban also includes train rides-on local (szemely, S) trains only in the city borders, but as I am EU-senior since some time, I do not have to deal with that anymore, so forgive me.

AdamWW

Established Member
NO, but for the day you choose. And for a longer distance (forgot from how far in KM) also the morning after. It is clearly stated on the ticket as I remember-but in HU. Note: you also get a kind of receipt with Tax nr-this is not the actual ticket! If you struggle with the lingo-use the yellow machines in all main stations-these even give a small discount if you pay by card, but most also take cash.
BUT; for all IC-trains you need BOTH a REServation and the usual surcharge (based on distance again) for ´fast=GYORS trains.

For some reason the few times I've tried to buy train tickets from a ticket window in Hungary it hasn't gone particularly well, even though I've rarely had trouble in other countries where I speak very little of the language.

If the ticket machines do English they sound extremely useful.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The MAV app is a particularly good one and comes in English. I've tended to just use that when I've needed tickets and bought them as I've gone along.

Beebman

I can confirm that buying tickets from machines is straightforward. Back in April I had no issues in buying a return ticket from Budapest Déli to Balatonfüred although it was for a regional train so I didn't need to worry about supplements and reservations. The (friendly) conductor seemed surprised that I'd bought a return ticket so thinking that she'd asked me if I knew I'd bought one I just said in English "I'm going back to Budapest" and she seemed satisfied with that. However since then I've been wondering if she asked me if I was going back the same day if such tickets are only valid on the day of issue?

Anyway it was a very nice daytrip for me as an add-on to a short sightseeing visit to Budapest. On both journeys I bagged a declassified ex-first class seat (the coaches used were ex-DB vehicles which in turn had been refurbishments of ex-DR Halberstädter coaches) and the lakeside scenery from the train was very pretty.

sqrtc

Just for reference, the new MÁV STRAT website is a delight to use - https://jegy.mav.hu/. A genuinely good online ticket buying experience, if you struggling with Hungarian.

Zamracene749

I'd buy tickets as you go if you wish to break your journey, the difference in prices will be minimal, typically less than a quid. As an example, Budapest to Siofok is around 2200HUF. Buying two tickets for the same journey IE Bud to Szekesfehervar then Szekesfehervar to Siofok comes to around 2480HUF! I 'm pretty certain that 'break of journey' UK style isn't a thing in Hungary.

PS the combined journey planner Menetrendek.hu is very useful if you are interested in the many interurban bus/coach services over there too.

PPS, regarding supplements for IC services, the app puts them in with the price. I've boarded IC services in Hungary and bought my ticket as we left the station-although I wouldn't recommend that 8-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.