• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Traveling to Northern Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GALLANTON

Hello,

Can anyone tell me, in idiot terms, what are the precise requirements for travelling from mainland UK to Northern Ireland at this current time? I've looked on google but there seems to be far too much over complicated and conflicting information.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

danm14

Nothing. Exactly the same as it was in 2019.

The only time it isn't is if you're unvaccinated, have come from an amber list country to England, and are currently out of quarantine early as you used Test to Release. This shorter period of quarantine isn't recognised in Northern Ireland.

Also, if you're travelling to the Republic via Northern Ireland, then you must legally comply with the Irish rules as if you were entering directly.

GALLANTON

So I could enter NI from Scotland without having to be tested/vaccinated and wouldn't have to isolate?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
So I could enter NI from Scotland without having to be tested/vaccinated and wouldn't have to isolate?
Yes. NI is part of the UK, so you can travel as easily from Scotland to Northern Ireland as you can from Scotland to England.

GALLANTON

And If I were to travel to ROI to NI? Do they carry out checks at the border? Is there a simplified list of restrictions for ROI?(I can't seem to find any anywhere).

danm14

Correct.

Unless you're only making a day trip, there's a recommendation to take a free lateral flow test before your journey, and on days 2 and 8 of your stay if your stay lasts that long. There's no legal requirement to do so, however, and you won't be asked for proof.

Vaccination is irrelevant.

And If I were to travel to ROI to NI? Do they carry out checks at the border? Is there a simplified list of restrictions for ROI?(I can't seem to find any anywhere).
They don't carry out checks - the border is fully open as it always was - but if caught (next to impossible) you're subject to fines, a prison sentence, and possibly immediate imprisonment in hotel quarantine at your cost and forced testing (if you don't have one of the three proofs).

You must have one of: proof of full vaccination; proof of a positive test between 11-180 days ago; a negative PCR test either taken no more than 72 hours before entering Northern Ireland or no more than 72 hours before crossing the border. You must carry this at all times.

If you have one of the first two you're free to go about your business. If you have the latter, you need to quarantine for 14 days, which can be shortened by taking a free test (of the painful, six inches down the back of your nose into your throat, performed by a medical professional, variety) on day 5.

You also must complete the passenger locator form before entry, and carry the receipt at all times.

Last edited:

GALLANTON

So only a proof of vaccination is needed(I've had both doses)? I don't need to have any of the other items in addition?

danm14

So only a proof of vaccination is needed(I've had both doses)? I don't need to have any of the other items in addition?
For Northern Ireland, you need nothing.

For the Republic of Ireland (either direct or via NI) you just need to complete the passenger locator form and have proof of vaccination. You must have had your second dose 2+ weeks ago for AZ/Moderna, 1+ week ago for Pfizer.

As you're entering via the land border, you must legally carry (on your phone is fine) both the passenger locator form receipt and proof of vaccination at all times within the Republic until you've been on the island of Ireland for 14+ days. In theory you need to show these if asked by a Garda (police officer), but obviously you won't be.

You don't need to do anything with the documents except carry them and show them if asked. You don't need to present with them anywhere. People who enter by air/sea don't have to carry them as they're inspected on arrival.

317 forever

Established Member
Even if we are allowed to enter Northern Ireland freely in theory, I am concerned in case there are restrictions to boarding flights or ferries without proof of vaccine - which admittedly would not bother me - or a Covid test.

danm14

Even if we are allowed to enter Northern Ireland freely in theory, I am concerned in case there are restrictions to boarding flights or ferries without proof of vaccine - which admittedly would not bother me - or a Covid test.
There aren't. The ferries don't even enforce mask wearing.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There are no requirements and are not likely to be. Northern Ireland is a domestic destination.

Butts

Veteran Member

I was in Belfast a few weeks ago , no problems.

Just make sure you arrive into BHD on a BA Embraer E-190, there is no finer way to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.