• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling with small children: What improvements could be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I remember years ago, FGW had a kid's activity pack where you could make a cardboard model of a class 180. Though with today's tech, complimentary earphones may be better or a dedicated kids/loud coach

Presumably scrapped due to being a fire risk.. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

algytaylor

Hi,

We're hopefully going to meet with some important people at GWR and LNER to discuss our experiences of travelling on trains with children.

Some of the suggestions we've had to improve the experience include the following:

1) Assisted boarding for those travelling with very young children.
2) Being able to book the exact seat (i.e. table/near toilet etc).
3) Dedicated pram space (that can be booked in advance)
4) Dedicated seats for mums breastfeeding
5) Level boarding

When you compare it to the European perspective, train travel with kids in the UK seems a bit lacking (see the picture below).

With best wishes,

JTTF
From my experience...

The under 5s “tickets” from transport for wales (ticket sized card with a picture of a train on) was a big hit with our kids, and made a surprising level of difference for such a simple idea

Level boarding would make a huge difference, particularly when travelling alone with kids

The activity packs on Virgin trains were brilliant, could get a good 1-2 hrs entertainment out of them

The old mark 3 coaches are/were really hard to board with a twin pram travelling on my own, or even with the best efforts of the guard. Wide door areas make a huge difference

quite often on busy trains we end up standing in the gangway between coaches. In that respect the class 170s are considerably more pleasant to travel on than a packed 390 as there’s more space.

Status
Not open for further replies.