• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tread brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
By pushing a pad made of friction material against the tread (running surface) of the wheel, as distinct to disc brakes which do so against a brake disc bolted to the wheel.

Ken H

On Moderation
so all sprinters up to class 156 have tread brakes
all after have disk braking

not so sure about EMU's Do 317's have disks?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
All EMUs have discs from at least class 313 onwards. I think some of the older AC units did too, but pretty sure the DC slam-door units didn't.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
All EMUs have discs from at least class 313 onwards. I think some of the older AC units did too, but pretty sure the DC slam-door units didn't.

310 had disc brakes and WSP, not sure if the 312s did as well. The 100mph-rated 309s were tread-braked.

Domh245

Established Member
As I believe all the new aventuras aswell?.

No, Aventras have disk brakes, although the 345s have the first/last axle of the train with a different arrangement, seeminly with inboard disks (as opposed to wheel mounted). Also worth noting that it is only the motored bogies of the 700s which are tread braked, the unpowered bogies have inboard disks

Shimbleshanks

Do tread brakes have any advantage over discs when there is leaf slime or other stuff leading to low adhesion? Does the tread brake have a cleaning action on the wheel surface?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Do tread brakes have any advantage over discs when there is leaf slime or other stuff leading to low adhesion? Does the tread brake have a cleaning action on the wheel surface?

Very much so. But they are less good at actually braking than disc brakes.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Yes, they do clean the wheels, but disc brakes provide a higher more consistent level of braking particularly at higher speeds.

In poor rail conditions while the tread brakes may be less inclined to lock-up the wheels, the disc brake will always at least match if not still exceed the braking performance of the tread brake.

furnessvale

Established Member
Yes, they do clean the wheels, but disc brakes provide a higher more consistent level of braking particularly at higher speeds.

In poor rail conditions while the tread brakes may be less inclined to lock-up the wheels, the disc brake will always at least match if not still exceed the braking performance of the tread brake.
Not sure about the last sentence.

IMO, the best compromise is disc braking with tread conditioning blocks operating at, say 10psi.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Not sure about the last sentence.

If your maximum braking rate is 9%g with disc brakes and 7%g with tread but railhead conditions are so poor that a brake rate of say only 1%g can be supported then you will get 1%g deceleration with either type of brake. Modern WSP-equipment will typically give the disc-brake the edge even in poor conditions.

That's how I understand it anyway.

TheEdge

Established Member
I think now with the improvement of disc brakes and WSP the advantages of tread brakes in low adhesion is mostly a thing of the past.

I believe the only time now tread brakes still trump anything else in low adhesion is where stock has tread and rheostatic or regenerative braking, as those really can be appalling in poor conditions. I know on black adhesion days (and sometimes successive red ones) the AGA Class 90 will have their rheostatic brakes isolated so the tread brakes's cleaning effect help with keeping wheels clear of contamination.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Only on the driven wheels I think. Definitely not all wheels though.
Yes, I believe they couldn't find room for the disc brakes on the powered axles. Something like a 700 will use a lot of electric braking, so the friction brakes get an easier life although they still have to be specified for the full braking load in case of a failure in the electrics.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Only on the driven wheels I think. Definitely not all wheels though.

Yes, I believe they couldn't find room for the disc brakes on the powered axles. Something like a 700 will use a lot of electric braking, so the friction brakes get an easier life although they still have to be specified for the full braking load in case of a failure in the electrics.

From what I was told, nothing I can confirm, is that the tread brakes only kick in at low speed and emergency and are used to hold the train rather than brake. You can certainly feel a difference when a unit will change from the rheo/regen to friction. Less obvious on a 700 compared to a 376.

dk1

Veteran Member
From what I gather the new 745/755 fleet from Stadler have disc brakes but also a form of brush to clear the wheel itself preventing the build up of leaf mulch.

CC 72100

Established Member
From what I gather the new 745/755 fleet from Stadler have disc brakes but also a form of brush to clear the wheel itself preventing the build up of leaf mulch.

Scrubber blocks?

Designed to make up for the fact that disc braked trains when braking don't clean the wheels in the same way that tread brakes trains do.

dk1

Veteran Member
Scrubber blocks?

Designed to make up for the fact that disc braked trains when braking don't clean the wheels in the same way that tread brakes trains do.
Most likely. Not been on the course yet so only getting hear say.

furnessvale

Established Member
If your maximum braking rate is 9%g with disc brakes and 7%g with tread but railhead conditions are so poor that a brake rate of say only 1%g can be supported then you will get 1%g deceleration with either type of brake. Modern WSP-equipment will typically give the disc-brake the edge even in poor conditions.

That's how I understand it anyway.
I understand that, but does it take into account poor TREAD condition, which scrubbing blocks can eliminate, rather than dirty rails?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I understand that, but does it take into account poor TREAD condition, which scrubbing blocks can eliminate, rather than dirty rails?

WSP does work to condition the rails on disc-braked trains, but yes tread brakes are definitely better at getting rid of all that leafy muck, I can't deny that ;)

Ken H

On Moderation
What happened to network South Easts leaf fall train, the 'Swedish Scrubber'? Is it still working? It had wire brushes and squgees to clean the railhead.

Didnt Thameslink have a converted MLV that did sandtite but would work as a DVT in a Class 319 formation?

TRAX

Established Member
Is that even allowed? Does it not have an inboard axle-mounted disc brake then?

I don’t know if this is the reason on the 345, but a lot of trains have unbraked end axles because these are the two axles which enable the speed to be measured.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Yes. I believe that 158's are fitted with discs and treads. (the treads were retrofitted later after their first autumn in Yorkshire resulted in 156 158 hybrid sets being formed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.