• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trent RELEASED + New Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Trent is simply awesome, the scale of the route covered and the traffic, is mind boggling!! I'm stressed here :lol:

Also Sheffield re-released, with more of the Hope Valley controllable. Head over there to get them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P156KWJ

Established Member
even though I know the area of the rails off by heart, I admittedly stuggled! Doesn't help that you have to control NET as well. good job they have Netherfield and Newark auto modes :lol:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It's a fairly easy sim, I can manage it on my own quite easily. The important thing to remember is Sawley crossing as it's easy to forget it.

Guinness

Established Member
I prefer the older style Simsig Handling, there's too much scrolling around for my liking!

Also Routes don't seem to cancel after a train has pass through the entire route, I've noticed this on the Eastcroft TMD line.

Is there a map available of which shows the location of all the signals. For example I have a train waiting to leave Toton at signal SS114 and I don't know where that is.

Guinness

Established Member
I don't believe theres a map, there hasn't been for any other SimSigs.

To find out signal numbers, go on options go through the tabs until you find and option "Right Click to Cancel Route", untick that box. Go back onto the main simulation and right click a signal (around the Toton area) and the number will be at the top.

I don't believe theres a map, there hasn't been for any other SimSigs.

To find out signal numbers, go on options go through the tabs until you find and option "Right Click to Cancel Route", untick that box. Go back onto the main simulation and right click a signal (around the Toton area) and the number will be at the top.

Thanks, I didn't know about that. There is a map for the Sheffield sim that is posted on the SimSig forums.

Guinness

Established Member
Thanks, I didn't know about that. There is a map for the Sheffield sim that is posted on the SimSig forums.

No problem, I've not been on the SimSig forums for a while, even then I only looked for Beta releases. :lol:

Tomnick

Established Member
I prefer the older style Simsig Handling, there's too much scrolling around for my liking!

Also Routes don't seem to cancel after a train has pass through the entire route, I've noticed this on the Eastcroft TMD line.
Tip of the day - turn TORR (train operated route release) off when starting the sim. It's a feature of the real panel (so every route has to be cancelled after the passage of a train), but also becomes a bit of a pain after about two minutes...!

Guinness

Established Member
Tip of the day - turn TORR (train operated route release) off when starting the sim. It's a feature of the real panel (so every route has to be cancelled after the passage of a train), but also becomes a bit of a pain after about two minutes...!

Cheers :)

Can someone please tell me where "Toton up sidings" are. A lot of trains seem to want to go there but I can't see it on the map!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ok. Now I have found out where they are and I have called Toton Up Sidings to request the slot, which they then give the number and tell me to request it.
How long does it take to make the route available, it has been on request for about 10 minutes!

Established Member
]
How long does it take to make the route available, it has been on request for about 10 minutes!

It varies. I had a Light Engine wait nearly an hour for a slot, so I rang up again, as I had lost count of others waiting in Loops miles away, and I was given a slot in 3 mins! I think they've gone as far as simulating memory loss on Toton Yard in it :p (I'm not implying that those working real life at Toton suffer any condition linked with memory loss :lol:)

1D53

Established Member
Man - Trent is an amazing SIM but so stressful!

devon_metro

Established Member
Its very good, although the sheer height of it meaning so much scrolling completely spoils it for me. Some of the level crossings are easy forgotten.

Its very good, although the sheer height of it meaning so much scrolling completely spoils it for me. Some of the level crossings are easy forgotten.

I now really hate level crossings! They should all be automatic!!! Countless times I have had trains waiting at level crossings without realising it.
The Sheffield sim is nice as it only has two level crossings.

David

Established Member
Dunno where your looking then ....

Holmes Jn and Brinsworth Street on VW3
Denaby on VW4
Beighton on VW6 (that 1 is a pain)
Also Renishaw on VW5

Flyboy

My attempt (and failure!) with the Sheffield sim gave me a new-found respect for Signallers. In reality, how many signallers would be controlling something the size of the Sheffield or Trent layouts?

A minor question about the sim, if a train has just been cleared through a section do you then have to cancel and re-authorise the path for the next train? I had a few trains backed up, and when the first train was clear I found that I couldn't simply go to the next waiting train and give it a green aspect without cancelling the entire path beforehand. Even then I often had to simply clear the waiting train through a red as I couldn't get the first signal to go green for love nor money!

David

Established Member
Flyboy. When starting a new sim, check the box to enable TORR, That will clear the routes automatically.

Dunno where your looking then ....

Holmes Jn and Brinsworth Street on VW3
Denaby on VW4
Beighton on VW6 (that 1 is a pain)
Also Renishaw on VW5

I forgot about the Beighton one! I forget about it when playing the game too. It is an annoying one!
I don't bother about Renishaw it's automatic :D.

Has anyone tried to play the Sheffield sim with Bradway Tunnel shut? I tried with the provided timetable. I have brought round an EMT ECS train from Clay Cross to Sheffield via Beighton that should have gone via Dore but of course couldn't as Bradway is shut. The problem I get is that when it is time for the train to depart to Clay Cross again I cannot get the train to leave Sheffield in the right direction. It will not have it any other way than to leave in the Dore direction even if I tell it to reverse direction it automatically switches back.

Flyboy

mbonwick - thanks.

David - thanks. I've re-read Tomnick's tip about turning TORR off, and I now see that he's suggesting this to make it more realistic, i.e. difficult! when in fact beginners should perhaps leave it on!

I might just give the sim another go at some point. I know there are different difficulty levels in each sim, but can any of you more experienced types recommend one particular sim as a good starting point, i.e. easy. The Trent one looks good as it's all on one single scrollable screen, but I understand it's a very difficult sim as a whole.

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
Sorry for the confusion chaps - I've just re-read my post too, and I did of course intend to suggest that TORR be turned on to make it easier, but must have been standing on my head at the time. Turning it off does, as Flyboy quite rightly suggests, reflect reality and greatly increases the difficulty!

In reality, I believe Trent PSB is (or was, at least) worked by four signalmen - Erewash Valley (now in the big shed in Derby, following resignalling!), Trent itself, Nottingham station and the lower-graded Robin Hood panel. That's the majority of the workload covered, but there are also smaller boxes at Sleights East, Pinxton (both now absorbed into Derby too), Kirkby Summit, Netherfield, Lowdham, Fiskerton, Staythorpe, Newark Castle, Bingham and Bottesford West. Admittedly the workload in the smaller boxes is much less (and the sim representation obviously doesn't work absolute block as many of these boxes do, which reduces the workload further), but you're doing the work of at least 14 men...!

Metroland

Established Member
Yep, Trent is 4 positions I think, NX panel. The real Trent is shown here http://www.simsig.co.uk/discus/messages/3740/9091.html?1195561136

Simsig simulates the working of IECCs quite well, control is more or less than same (on the overview) - though none of the detail/alarm screen are shown. Most of the signallers work is phone work, and paper filing as well especially on IECCs, which simsig either doesn't simulate or simulates in a simplistic way. There is a lot of organising set swaps, S&T and PWay blocks and general 'inquires'. Real life phone calls are obviously much more complex and involved, so you need to be a dab hand at working the panel/workstation and be on the phone with a pen in hand. In real life you also get Control ringing up 'every 5 minutes' (it seems like it) asking about delays - every minute has to be accounted for!

Its a very 'on' job and can be quite stressful at times, especially in a major failure. I enjoyed my time doing it, but wouldn't recommend it for the long term. Signallers tend to get burn out after a while in complex signal centres.

I would recommend people have a look at some of the signalling rules, because tbh any fool can press buttons, the really good signallers know how to apply the rules correctly to protect safety and minimise delay. For example, often forgotten playing simsig is when examining the line you MUST block the adjoining track, because if the train you are examining with has a mishap, you'll be in double trouble if anything happens.

Its also a shame Simsig doesn't simulate single line working and engineering work, the latter uses no signals and works on voice messages only, the former handsignalmen and pilotmen.

Have a look at the following for further info

http://www.rgsonline.co.uk/Rule_Book/Forms/Live_Documents.aspx

An NX panel like Trent will need TS1 - General signalling instructions, the level crossing instructions, the Track Circuit block regs. Plus any other signalling system that applies.

You will also need to know section T, G, GSM-R, M, OTP/M, P, S, SP, TW.

If the line is electrified you will also need to know the AC/DC electrified instructions.

On top of that, not on the above site, you will need to have a copy of the sectional appendix for the area, a timetable or simplifier (obviously! - you don't get the luxury of right click on an NX panel and IECCs only give simplified timetables) relevant forms, Trust operations manual, Monthly and Weekly operating notices, box notices and local instructions - which vary in quantity, but are usually an A4 folder worth.

Above all your job is to minimise delay, you should not be building up a lot of delay under bad regulating for example - if you are getting more than 10 minutes (with 60 minutes on knock on delay) per day, start looking for another job. A lot of delay or mishaps will result in disciplinary action. You should never give trains 'adverse' change of aspect (except in emergency), drivers tend to ask for relief! Do it too many times, you'll be sacked. It should be at least years between occasions. You should also operate level crossings in time to prevent delay to road traffic, else you will get a lot of phone abuse. The same goes for occupation crossings. ****ing the public off can mean they will take chances in front of trains.

Last edited:

Tomnick

Established Member
That seems to summarise it pretty well! All that I can add to Metroland's post is to suggest having a look at the Cambridge sim (I think it's still in the beta stage, so is available through the forums rather than the main download page) - there's a pre-programmed 'scenario' where SLW is indeed simulated (south of Cambridge), giving the added challenge of trying to manage two the movements of two pilotmen* and not screwing yourself into a difficult situation with a train at one end and a pilotman at the other!

* - the possibly unique situation of SLW being allowed over both lines simultaneously exists between Cambridge and Shepreth Branch Jn., due to the layout at the latter causing serious restrictions when SLW is required over the Up Main south of there. It's all specially authorised in the Sectional Appendix - I believe the pilotman for one of the two lines (can't remember which) is required to wear a red armband on both arms to differentiate himself from the other. All in all, an interesting little puzzle!

Status
Not open for further replies.