• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trespassers Leeds, 30/05/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Reports coming in of the job stopped at Leeds. An individual is reported to be chained to the station overbridge above platforms 8 and 9. Station has been evacuated.

No movement through Leeds at this time. LNER 1L03 LDS-ABD stuck at Leeds and no KGX departures. No TPE services are currently operating south of York and XC services diverting via S&K

Screenshot_20190530-075008.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190530-074125.png
    Screenshot_20190530-074125.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 124
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Allwinter_Kit

Currently hanging out on the Airedale line at Armley - was so close! We were due in at 07:24 alas....

Being chained to the overbridge is a new one; suggests he isn't a potential jumper but a protestor?

Bantamzen

Established Member
From the National Rail Site:

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/222319.aspx

A trespasser on the railway at Leeds is causing disruption at this station. All lines are currently blocked and trains may be cancelled, delayed or revised.

Major disruption is expected until 10:00.

CrossCountry Customer Advice:

To help with your journey, tickets will be accepted on the following services:

• LNER services between Leeds and Doncaster
  • TransPennine Express services via any reasonable route

CrossCountry services will not call at Leeds and Wakefield Westgate.

LNER Customer Advice:

To help with your journey, tickets will be accepted on the following services:

• Grand Central services via any reasonable route
  • CrossCountry services via any reasonable route
Sounds like it might be a while before things return to normal. From some Tweets this morning it sounds like it might be someone threatening to jump off the bridge. I hope this is resolved quickly and without any injury to anyone concerned.

Allwinter_Kit

Just been dumped at apperly bridge. Not the most convenient place to cancel a train.
Ouch. Does it even have a bus service to anywhere useful?

At least you can get off mind - we're all trapped on our service; have been stuck outside Leeds for over an hour now.

Incidentally, this marks the first time I have ever understood the seat chat. This unrefurbished 333 with knackered 3x2 seating is not my armchair of choice for such a long wait.

Also if I have to listen to the cheery chap auto-announcing that "The next station is Leeds" for a significant period of time longer I may go slightly insane and just start burbling it to myself.

Last edited:

AndyHudds

Stuck on the 6.45 TPE from Huddersfield just outside Leeds station. Apparently it's a suicide attempt and the negotiator is there now.

thejuggler

Just been dumped at apperly bridge. Not the most convenient place to cancel a train.

There are buses, but not a very regular service.

Otherwise it's a walk down the canal towpath to Leeds - about 2 hours.

Bantamzen

Established Member

There's a long line of trains further down the line, so expect more people to be detrained as its likely to be quite some time before things return to normal.

Ouch. Does it even have a bus service to anywhere useful?

At least you can get off mind - we're all trapped on our service; have been stuck outside Leeds for over an hour now.

The only options there are to wait for a bus to either the Airport (747) & change at Rawdon onto a 33/34, head in the opposite direction on the 747 and head into Bradford to pick up an X6/72, or change at Greengates for the 60. Its also a 10/15 walk uphill to Greengates where other services start for Bradford.

Edit: This is starting to have serious impacts on all Aire/Wharfe services out of Bradford too as units & crews are becoming stranded (obviously this will be the case right across Yorkshire & beyond).

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm grateful I'm not stuck on a Merseyrail pacer !!

(Sympathies to anyone who is).

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
TPE LIV/MIA-HHL/SCA/NCL/MBR completely snowballed. Cream crackered. Kerfuffed. Fracked! Shafted! XD

Looking at Traksy there are trains everywhere between York and Huddersfield!

ASharpe

There's a long line of trains further down the line, so expect more people to be detrained as its likely to be quite some time before things return to normal.

The only options there are to wait for a bus to either the Airport (747) & change at Rawdon onto a 33/34, head in the opposite direction on the 747 and head into Bradford to pick up an X6/72, or change at Greengates for the 60. Its also a 10/15 walk uphill to Greengates where other services start for Bradford.

Walked up the hill to greengates. I very much doubt I will get on the 60 given the number of people already waiting. Should be able to get the 35 to Leeds though. If not my wife is still on maternity leave so is willing to bring the car and drive me in.

Are trains starting to be evacuated in a controlled manner or are they just waiting for passengers to self evacuate?

Ianigsy

Left home at 7.15 to catch 7.25 bus from Otley to Menston and then 7.48 to Leeds. The 7.59 Bradford turned up and I was all set to get on, but the guard told us that there was a Leeds train following his.

There wasn't. Caught a 34 bus back to Otley and now on an X84 near Bramhope; fortunately the roads are clear so should only be about an hour late.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Walked up the hill to greengates. I very much doubt I will get on the 60 given the number of people already waiting. Should be able to get the 35 to Leeds though. If not my wife is still on maternity leave so is willing to bring the car and drive me in.

Are trains starting to be evacuated in a controlled manner or are they just waiting for passengers to self evacuate?

Trains are still queued along the valley, so no sign of any movement. I'm not sure that they will be able to be evacuated, sections of that line are very close to the canal & river & I doubt anyone would want people wandering willy-nilly around there. How & when things get back to normal will be down to the Police though, and when they can talk this person down.

I'd forgotten about the 35 (used to be the 670), so I hope you get moving soon.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Platforms 1-7 and 11-17 have reopened but to detrain only. No doubt to clear the backlog of people stranded on trains in the immediate area which have been there for 2 hours now

geoffk

Established Member
Can TPE divert via Wakefield Kirkgate and Castleford? Cas - York is a regular diversionary route for them.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Can TPE divert via Wakefield Kirkgate and Castleford? Cas - York is a regular diversionary route for them.

Theoretically yes, however as it is a rarely used diversion not many crews sign the crucial bit between Castleford and Normanton. Alternatively the curve at Holbeck could be used also to avoid Leeds but this has also been lost due to the large number of trains stranded as trains are queued back as far as Wakefield and Huddersfield

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation

It won't be the first time a small station (which I guess Apperly Bridge is) is used for terminating a train. In an August 2015 issue on the 125 Group's website I downloaded a while ago, an HST terminated at like Kings Norton (or a 2-platform station not far away) due to a fire at Birmingham New Street. Nearly 25 years ago I believe.

cuccir

Established Member
Returning to trains it looks like they're now using some of the outer platforms at the station. The 07:13 from Manchester Airport - Middlesbrough, appears to have arrived at Leeds at 09:07 and left at 09:26, just over 2 hours late; although while that's the first train to depart Leeds, it was just beaten as the first train to arrive by the 07:16 terminating train from Sheffield, which arrived in at 09:05.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
As stated earlier by myself based on internal reports. Station had reopened to set down and detrain passengers only

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
UPDATE:- RIO advises male is down, awaiting confirmation of all responders clear before being able to reopen station fully

mildertduck

Given that LNER are diverting some Leeds terminators to York, could we have an unintentional first public Azuma running from York later today? (I'm booked on the 1A33 Azuma from Doncaster, but if it starts from York, I'll be on it from there...!)

Glenn1969

Established Member
I know most Calder Valley trains have been turning round at Bradford except the 0712 York to Blackpool which didn't make it past Church Fenton and a couple of Chester trains which were cancelled Leeds- Manchester

rich r

I was stuck on a two carriage Northern 144 Pacer on the viaduct at Quarry Hill (0650 Selby-Leeds service) from 7:20am until they allowed us into Platform 7 at 9am. Crammed full with people standing (due to only being two carriages), heating on (due to being a 144), and diesel fumes coming in through the windows. Credit to our guard for giving us updates whenever he could though. Got to work 2.5 hours late, but that's the first big delay I've had for a very long time.

Eventually we were told we'd be turning back to Crossgates, then once moving that changed to the news that they'd opened some platforms but we should leave by the emergency station exit quickly and quietly on the instructions of the Police.

My knees and back hurt from Pacer seats, but at least I wasn't standing. Hopefully the disruption (chatting on my phone to friends stuck on trains near York and Doncaster so it seems quite widespread) is resolved reasonably once the Police negotiators have done their bit.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Judging by RTT trains do at least seem to be moving now. Hope the man is alright and things can get back to normal soon

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
On Tyrell -which is an internal messaging app for staff - I have LNER, XC and TPE messages coming through, this is because often the information coming through is often partial towards that TOC, but by combining all 3 a bigger picture of what is actually happening can be drawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.