• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip postponed to Ponferrada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Man

On Moderation
I was meant to be travelling to Ponferrada Spain to see a friend of mine this year that I went to college with 3 years ago because of Covid I couldn’t go I’m hoping that I can go at some point but I don’t like flying that much so I’m going by coach.
This is what the coach journey looks like
Paignton to London.
London to Paris.
Paris to Barcelona.
Barcelona to Madrid.
Madrid to Ponferrada.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Crikey, rather you than me. Would the Brittany Ferries service to northern Spain then a train not be a little bit less gruelling?
Covid means BF are not accepting foot passengers till late March, but it's a straightforward route, unless you are a bad sailor, the Pont Aven is a nice boat, and Santander port is in the town not out in the sticks.
You could do the journey comfortably within 2 days - though I suspect by coach rather than rail from Santander.

HS2isgood

Covid means BF are not accepting foot passengers till late March, but it's a straightforward route, unless you are a bad sailor, the Pont Aven is a nice boat, and Santander port is in the town not out in the sticks.
You could do the journey comfortably within 2 days - though I suspect by coach rather than rail from Santander.
From Santander to Ponferrada the main route by train would be by changing in Palencia, even though I don't know if the Pont Aven arrives at Santander early enough to make a same-day connection possible.

Veteran Member
From Santander to Ponferrada the main route by train would be by changing in Palencia, even though I don't know if the Pont Aven arrives at Santander early enough to make a same-day connection possible.
The ALSA coach seems to be just as slow as the train, but train or coach looks doable unless there's a storm in Biscay

Last edited:

IMG_20201123_142618.jpgWhen I went to Ponferrada in 1970 I traveled from Leyland all the way by train. I don't think you will be able to get from Ponferrada to Villablino on the narrow gauge nowadays though.

Status
Not open for further replies.