• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to Crewe Rail Centre & City Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
All being well, next Saturday 12 July I am on a railtour to Crewe, I would like to visit the rail heritage centre which I think is near tesco in the Mill Street area? is that far from the main City centre of Crewe, or is that the other side of the main railway station?

thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wonder what tour that could be ;)

From what I remember, the heritage centre was about 15 to 20 mins walk out the station, left then right then right again.

On the occasions I've had to wait around the area, I've never managed to locate anything that looks like a town centre, so I might get the bus to Nantwich instead.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
On the occasions I've had to wait around the area, I've never managed to locate anything that looks like a town centre, so I might get the bus to Nantwich instead.

Have you ever been to Crewe bus station. That is one place that won't qualify for World Heritage Status from what I remember from disembarking there on the 38 bus from Macclesfield bus station some years ago, with stand dividers that looked like they were fabricated from rusty metal poles...<(

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Have you ever been to Crewe bus station. That is one place that won't qualify for World Heritage Status from what I remember from disembarking there on the 38 bus from Macclesfield bus station some years ago, with stand dividers that looked like they were fabricated from rusty metal poles...<(

Fortunately no. Train would have been my first choice, but sadly connections to Nantwicj seem not to tally very well with the tour arrival and departure times !

martinsh

Established Member
If you get to the heritage centre then to get to the town centre, head back on your tracks past Tesco, go straight across the main road, up the slope, and through the car park. Head for the tower with the clock on in, that's more or less the town centre, but there's not much there.

Not sure why you want to visit the town centre, but if it's for refreshment, then Wetherspoons is next to the bus station.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
During the day, from Crewe bus station, the Arriva service 84 runs every 15 minutes, whereas the D&G Bus service 44 only runs hourly.

Nantwich is a most interesting area with historic churches and buildings in its centre.

Indeed. It looked quite interesting from google street view.

Fortunately, having received the official tour timings it looks as though the train will now be an oprtion.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
If you get to the heritage centre then to get to the town centre, head back on your tracks past Tesco, go straight across the main road, up the slope, and through the car park. Head for the tower with the clock on in, that's more or less the town centre, but there's not much there.

Not sure why you want to visit the town centre, but if it's for refreshment, then Wetherspoons is next to the bus station.

Thanks for the info, I thought the town centre may be interesting, but perhaps after reading these threads, I will stick with the rail centre and may be just Wetherspoons too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Indeed. It looked quite interesting from google street view.

Fortunately, having received the official tour timings it looks as though the train will now be an oprtion.

I may see you on the train or at the rail centre then?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I may see you on the train or at the rail centre then?

I'll be in trailer coach D (with the trojan upholstery).

I can recommend the rail centre, but I only visited last year and I've no interest in model railways, so I might explore elsewhere this time.

martinsh

Established Member
During the day, from Crewe bus station, the Arriva service 84 runs every 15 minutes, whereas the D&G Bus service 44 only runs hourly.

No need to go as far as bus station to get bus to Nantwich. Just walk down Nantwich Road from the (rail) station two stops, and you will pick up the 84 on its way out of town. The 44 goes even closer to station, but isn't so frequent or direct.

What times is this railtour in town ? I may be around if people want to meet up.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
No need to go as far as bus station to get bus to Nantwich. Just walk down Nantwich Road from the (rail) station two stops, and you will pick up the 84 on its way out of town. The 44 goes even closer to station, but isn't so frequent or direct.

What times is this railtour in town ? I may be around if people want to meet up.

It should arrive around 1215 and depart about 1715.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The railtour to Crewe last Saturday with HDL went very well, especially on the evening return, with fast non stop running all the way until around Willesden. Thanks to all concerned for a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.