• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to the Isle of Wight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
Is the island line service likely to be reinstated ?

I've got 2 weeks off work in Sept/Oct, thinking about parking my car in Portsmouth and going over on the ferry as foot passenger, Is there anywhere you can leave your car in the street for parking for 5/6 days ish and get the bus in to the port.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Is the island line service likely to be reinstated ?

I've got 2 weeks off work in Sept/Oct, thinking about parking my car in Portsmouth and going over on the ferry as foot passenger, Is there anywhere you can leave your car in the street for parking for 5/6 days ish and get the bus in to the port.

Why not just catch a train ?

pompeyfan

Established Member
It takes 5h 30m minutes by car, 11h 20m by train as I would have to change in London

a lot of Portsmouth is divided into individual residents parking zones, especially as you get closer towards the ferry port.

there is a long stay car park at the international port which has 4 buses an hour to Gunwharf/the hard which is where the fastcat sails from.

parts of Eastney are normal residential terrace housing unrestricted, as are parts of Copnor and Drayton.

Vespa

Established Member
Thanks.
I've recced the areas mentioned on streetview and found a likely spot, 7 mins bus ride or 29 min walk I dont mind either way.

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
Thanks.
I've recced the areas mentioned on streetview and found a likely spot, 7 mins bus ride or 29 min walk I dont mind either way.

being from the area I might be able to confirm if it’s part of a RPZ. Would be happy to help.

david1212

Established Member
parts of Eastney are normal residential terrace housing unrestricted, as are parts of Copnor and Drayton.

I'm unsure where formally Southsea ends and Eastney starts so this may be where you have already virtually looked but unless recent changes some streets back from the seafront around South Parade Pier and the Canoe Lake could be an option. I can not comment on the risk as only stayed as a visitor.

Unless you particularly want the ferry it is 20 - 25 minutes walk to the Hovercraft terminal.

pompeyfan

Established Member
I'm unsure where formally Southsea ends and Eastney starts so this may be where you have already virtually looked but unless recent changes some streets back from the seafront around South Parade Pier and the Canoe Lake could be an option. I can not comment on the risk as only stayed as a visitor.

Unless you particularly want the ferry it is 20 - 25 minutes walk to the Hovercraft terminal.

that whole area has just gone to a residents parking zone as well.

david1212

Established Member
Oh dear :(

I always try to book accommodation with private parking but like to know what is available in the area in case of issues.

When I have stayed in Southsea I've hovered over to IoW for the day.

In 2012 I took the car for a week. Booked peak hours on a Saturday both ways at just over £120. I had £30 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers that at 4:1 paid this.
Early this year I looked and around £220 !!! Friday & Monday were the same or similar prices. Also now I only get maybe £12 in Clubcard vouchers a year and rebate is only 3:1. Hence the idea abandoned.

We are sailing, we are sailing, we are sailing across the sea,
We are sailing across the Solent, fleecing you and your family.

Vespa

Established Member
If you want to keep the cost down, you would have to be prepared to sail at stupid O'Clock.

I originally was going to park my car and get the foot passenger ticket but when I number crunched cost/benefit it worked out at £58 to sail across compared to parking it in Portsmouth, I decided to book a hotel with its own parking.

Since its only me I'm prepared to sail at those times, if I had a girlfriend with me no way would she do that lol, I would never hear the end of it lol.

david1212

Established Member
If you want to keep the cost down, you would have to be prepared to sail at stupid O'Clock.

Back to 2012 friends had a motorhome and sailed at stupid O'clock.

For me with a clear run the driving time from home to/from Portsmouth docks is around 3hrs but realistically need to allow 4 hours from sailing time, if a time with more traffic 4hr 30min. Hence for say 6am sailing leave at 2am then driving in the dark. To sail late evening then very late checking in at hotel plus gain of cheap ferry offset by an additional night at the hotel. A late sailing to return home again driving all in the dark plus tired.

I've just looked and from Bank of England website the inflation calculator gives 1.19 or 119% 2012 - 2019 yet peak ferry fare increased from ~£120 to ~£220. Your £58 while ~25% of peak fare now is approaching 50% of peak fare in 2012.

Now unlikely I will consider taking the car over until I've retired ( provisionally planned for 3 - 5 years ahead unless pensions & investments still in real terms well below 2019 valuation ) when I won't need to plan so far ahead and can look at mid-week prices.
If I visit before I'll stay in Southsea and hover over to IoW. Other days I can visit the historic dockyard etc.

I note you have given your location as Merseyside so your logical route is M6 - M40 - A34 - M3. Do check in particular the A34 for 8 / 9 / 10 pm to 6am total carriageway closures. In some places the main HGV suitable diversion route can be a long way round and just with a car no straightforward alternatives as when over the years the A34 was upgraded either the old route was used or if cut in half just blocked off.

Vespa

Established Member
Cheers for the heads up, I will use a Waze Sat Nav to help me to avoid closures, I'm planning to stay in Hampshire the night before to break up the journey

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
Finally arrived and now sitting on an island line train.

Got 7 days on this island to do some train trips the old Island line and the old steam line :)
Along with some general sightseeing, already brought some IOW own beer, just need to buy local wine

Attachments

• 20200930_154036_HDR.jpg
    20200930_154036_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200930_154031_HDR.jpg
    20200930_154031_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 11

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If you have a whole week, then if it's open it's worth a visit to the Fort Victoria model railway ( other side of the island from the 1938 Stock ).

Vespa

Established Member
Thanks
I will put that in my to do list :)

I've booked a time slot for Osbourne today, Carisbrooke Tomorrow and steam railway 4th October. I would looking around after I have visited these properties, I like to look around the town's or village afterward, never waste a minute of the day is how I do things :D

I'm going to try and pack as much as I can before I leave 6th October 23:00.

I have sat, mon and Tuesday to utilise..
I hoping to visit a local vinyard and buy IOW wine, already brought some local ales.

Railway suggestion especially welcome.

stadlerflirt

Just wondering, how frequently is the service running at the moment? I'm planning to do a trip down there on Monday

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks
I will put that in my to do list :)

Maybe for next time - I just checked for you and it's currently closed for a refurbishment as it's under new ownership! Website links below:

https://www.fort-victoria.co.uk/ ( Main site for the country park within which the model railway is located - includes a picture of it )

http://fortvictoriamodelrailway.co.uk/ ( The actual model railway website; keep checking this one for re-opening date, but given it's now October I would expect this to be around Easter )

Vespa

Established Member
Thanks for heads up Peter, saved a wasted trip.
Planning to go to Ventnor from Shanklin on saturday for a day out travelling from Ryde St John's as there is engineering works toward the pier head, be interesting to see the old station site.

Status
Not open for further replies.