• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triple grey Railfreight introduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Afternoon everyone.

A rather nice thing has come into my possession courtesy of my cousin Chris.
I’m posting this in the history section rather than media because I’d be interested in other peoples memories of the introduction of the triple grey Railfreight design in the late 1980s.
I believe it won design awards at the time although I’m not sure what they were, do any of you know?
I’ve been trying to remember what the first thing I saw in these colours was and I remember catching a train in the summer of 1988 hauled by 47079 which I think was in this livery by then.

The book I’ve been given is a rather nice thing with a protective box that it slides into and I’ve taken a few photos of it to show what it contains, basically the whole overall view of how everything related to the sector was intended to look.

This is the book with the box it comes in. Has anyone else got one of these? I haven’t seen one before and my cousin has always worked in design. This came from an office clear out many years ago and has been on one of his bookshelves for the past twenty years before he finally decided that I should have it. ;)

1E78D2DB-C7A9-4FD1-AD76-35EC90AEBF77.jpeg

1D1D3A8A-3B46-4D8C-8281-8F79BBF4C296.jpeg

DCBA1011-11D7-454C-9B6E-83F089E8B585.jpeg

A nice overview of the different Railfreight sectors here:
EED32B31-2E57-45CF-BDC9-2F91B3A5526A.jpeg

Lettering and the decals by the cab doors in these pages:
B564C84B-F03F-46C6-8E44-E50C10D07287.jpeg

Some rather nice photography that made me remember that the class 56 was still a fairly modern machine at the time…
8D8ECADA-C013-4B36-8846-4E924EE9DDC9.jpeg

And the refurbishment program on the class 37s that was very recently completed too…
1746AF54-583D-4F9D-9DDA-A989C847031C.jpeg

The different types of traction that the sector operated:
FB810799-2C94-4758-AE97-681EB40617B3.jpeg

Even associated road transport is included in the book:
AD1E6833-9263-47A7-864F-93E2390DDCEA.jpeg

Some rather nice graphics including depot plaques are shown on these pages which of course were also part of the overall design and were to add an extra level of pride (hopefully) in the various fleets:
5E79D8BD-DDDB-4ED4-8532-6D3BCD154663.jpeg

That’s my ten photo limit but if anyone wants to see anything else then let me know. Hopefully it’s of interest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
That does look very nice - almost like the BR Corporate Identity Manual. http://www.doublearrow.co.uk/railfreight.htm has some scans of pages which look as though they're from that book?
The dramatic pictures of the 56 and 37 are really cool but I must admit I did chuckle a bit as you rarely see rail being treated so dramatically now! :lol:

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That does look very nice - almost like the BR Corporate Identity Manual. http://www.doublearrow.co.uk/railfreight.htm has some scans of pages which look as though they're from that book?
The dramatic pictures of the 56 and 37 are really cool but I must admit I did chuckle a bit as you rarely see rail being treated so dramatically now! :lol:

-Peter

Ah yes that’s the same thing then isn’t it?
Looks like I’m not going to make a million pounds after appearing on Antiques Roadshow after all…
I know what you mean about the dramatic photos, there’s one of a class 86 that looks like a modern day O. Winston Link picture!

station_road

I do remember getting one of these (in a BRB HQ office in Derby) - there were also some mugs with the different logos on them (still have one somewhere) and a ticket wallet in grey with one of the logos on it

Peter C

Established Member
Ah yes that’s the same thing then isn’t it?
Looks like I’m not going to make a million pounds after appearing on Antiques Roadshow after all…
I know what you mean about the dramatic photos, there’s one of a class 86 that looks like a modern day O. Winston Link picture!
Haha :D That site's got a couple of other similar BR manuals on there too. Amazing resource.
His pictures are amazing. Just looked them up and wow!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I do remember getting one of these (in a BRB HQ office in Derby) - there were also some mugs with the different logos on them (still have one somewhere) and a ticket wallet in grey with one of the logos on it

Nice. I’d quite like a mug, or even one of the umbrellas…

Haha :D That site's got a couple of other similar BR manuals on there too. Amazing resource.
His pictures are amazing. Just looked them up and wow!

-Peter

Yes they’re absolutely stunning. Might be worth a thread at some point actually.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Some rather nice graphics including depot plaques are shown on these pages which of course were also part of the overall design and were to add an extra level of pride (hopefully) in the various fleets:
View attachment 103134
I particularly like these side-on drawings of the various loco types in the Railfreight fleet. I too would like to see a thread on O. Winston Link at some point in the future (having just Googled him and having to metaphorically pick my jaw up from the floor as a result).

Last edited:

Trainfan2019

What an amazing promotional item for introducing the railfreight sectors. Really like the photos you've posted thanks. I vaguely remember seeing a long report on Newsnight explaining about the new railfreight sectors back in the day. Would this be about 1990 or 91?

alistairlees

Established Member
Afternoon everyone.

A rather nice thing has come into my possession courtesy of my cousin Chris.
I’m posting this in the history section rather than media because I’d be interested in other peoples memories of the introduction of the triple grey Railfreight design in the late 1980s.
I believe it won design awards at the time although I’m not sure what they were, do any of you know?
I’ve been trying to remember what the first thing I saw in these colours was and I remember catching a train in the summer of 1988 hauled by 47079 which I think was in this livery by then.

The book I’ve been given is a rather nice thing with a protective box that it slides into and I’ve taken a few photos of it to show what it contains, basically the whole overall view of how everything related to the sector was intended to look.

This is the book with the box it comes in. Has anyone else got one of these? I haven’t seen one before and my cousin has always worked in design. This came from an office clear out many years ago and has been on one of his bookshelves for the past twenty years before he finally decided that I should have it. ;)

View attachment 103123

View attachment 103124

View attachment 103125

A nice overview of the different Railfreight sectors here:
View attachment 103126

Lettering and the decals by the cab doors in these pages:
View attachment 103127

Some rather nice photography that made me remember that the class 56 was still a fairly modern machine at the time…
View attachment 103128

And the refurbishment program on the class 37s that was very recently completed too…
View attachment 103129

The different types of traction that the sector operated:
View attachment 103130

Even associated road transport is included in the book:
View attachment 103131

View attachment 103134

That’s my ten photo limit but if anyone wants to see anything else then let me know. Hopefully it’s of interest.
That's a lovely document, to a very high standard. Do you have the date of publication?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That’s brilliant Mr C, bet you won’t be putting that on eBay anytime soon!
Funnily enough while looking for the year, one came up for sale on eBay in the search results.

I think @Cowley might be quite pleased he isn't obtaining it via eBay given the price! ;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Jesus! I’d better not tell my cousin. :lol:
It's no longer available either, seems to have been an old listing.

Maybe it's worth more now! :lol:

Can you share the link
Are links to commercial listings allowed?

I know some forums I'm a member of don't allow them either at all or only if vetted by a mod.

If it's permitted I'll happily post the link @Cowley

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s fine @hexagon789. I’ll sanction it and go down with the ship if I’m wrong. ;)

That’s brilliant Mr C, bet you won’t be putting that on eBay anytime soon!

I’ve just sent the link to my cousin Mr Bridge. I think he’ll be somewhat displeased if I sell it! :lol:

Last edited:

Helvellyn

Established Member
The Railfreight General sub-sector logo never really took off, apart from application to 50149 and a few 86/5s. Always thought it was a shame that Railfreight Distribution didn't take it on as a Freightliner sub-sector logo, with the double diamonds being used for everything else.

D6975

Established Member
The Railfreight General sub-sector logo never really took off, apart from application to 50149 and a few 86/5s. Always thought it was a shame that Railfreight Distribution didn't take it on as a Freightliner sub-sector logo, with the double diamonds being used for everything else.
and 31160 and 37104.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
https:// www. ebay. co. uk /itm/Brit-Rail-Railfreight-Guide-Design-1988-Official-L/372936736389?hash=item56d4d0ba25:g:0UMAOSgmwNeN

This is the link, but as I said the listing is gone. Picclick had the sale as £200, that was the link off Google.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Plenty of locos got debranded from the other sectors over the years, several 60s and 58s for example, but tended to remain in triple grey rather than gaining a General logo. By this time the zeal for sub-sector branding and dedicated locos seemed already to have lapsed rather.

The 92s were then built without sector logos and had a variation on triple grey (the darkest roof grey being actually dark blue) and the cast channel tunnel logos. Some RfD locos later got a small RfD sector logo and "Railfreight Distribution" lettering.

I'm not sure liner locos needed their own logo but the General one would be ideal if they had - looks like a stack of shipping containers!

Rick1984

The Minilink referenced they're and shown on the road vehicle sounds intriguing

pdeaves

Established Member
The 92s were then built without sector logos and had a variation on triple grey (the darkest roof grey being actually dark blue) and the cast channel tunnel logos. Some RfD locos later got a small RfD sector logo and "Railfreight Distribution" lettering.
That was RfD's 'European' livery, starting a break-away from triple grey (though not too much in one step!).

Dave W

I've always thought each of the sector logos framed in a row would be an excellent thing to put up on a blank wall - they really convey the industrial element of it all in a blunt but colourful way.

Ms DW thinks otherwise so I may have to scale down my plans for five 1ft square frames along the hallway and have a smaller version in the family bathroom... I'm most jealous that you have one of the guides in person - they're a real find!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've always thought each of the sector logos framed in a row would be an excellent thing to put up on a blank wall - they really convey the industrial element of it all in a blunt but colourful way.

Ms DW thinks otherwise so I may have to scale down my plans for five 1ft square frames along the hallway and have a smaller version in the family bathroom... I'm most jealous that you have one of the guides in person - they're a real find!

I must admit that I have had similar thoughts. They would look great spaced out up the stairs on a grey background…

Status
Not open for further replies.