• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trips by Bus and Coach: Your reports

RELL6L

I was able to get another trip out last Thursday the weather forecast for the North West was for a glorious day, as indeed it was, and there were no other constraints at home or work. The majority was on Arriva buses so I have posted this here.

So 7am saw me parking up in St Helens with sunrise a few minutes later as I explored this town which I had not visited before. There is a big old fashioned kiln structure by the glass museum and some good municipal buildings worth seeing. My first bus was Arriva 352 to Wigan. To my surprise this was an E400, I was expecting the route to be 100% Pulsar. In fact I was surprised to see some deckers elsewhere on unexpected routes in the area, a couple on the 320 and one on the 31. Quite a busy run to Wigan with a number of school children but it did not justify the capacity of a decker. At Wigan the E400 went off to Skelmersdale as a 395 while I briefly explored the town centre. There is a really cute street just above the central square which leads to an attractive open square by the college there. After a short break it was on another Arriva bus, the 362 to Chorley. This was from a different division as the 362 is worked effectively as a through service with the 575 from Bolton using Sapphire liveried Pulsars highlighting both routes. No chance of a decker here if it wanted to get to Chorley intact with a 13 foot bridge en route. Not a great deal to see at Chorley unless I’ve missed something, but not unpleasant.

The next leg of my trip was the Stagecoach 125 to Preston, still very much a ‘Gold’ service with the vast majority of the buses, all Scania E400s, in gold colours. I had already done the southern half of the route to Bolton and now saw the northern half. It isn’t easy to keep a service this frequent (currently every 12 minutes, ‘normally’ every 10) from bunching except by having long pauses to keep to time – otherwise one bus getting slightly late gets further and further behind as it takes more passengers until it is caught be another one - but the 125 seemed to manage pretty well. Reasonably good load with passengers getting on and off. The route included Clayton Brook, which seemed quite nice, and the Walton Summit industrial area. The approach to Preston was quite busy but we arrived on time at the iconic bus station. Only half of this is now in use but it provides sufficient capacity, although pretty busy. The centre of Preston also has some decent municipal buildings and has a good open feel and I had half an hour to top up on provisions and walk around.

The next leg was to Ormskirk on the Stagecoach 2A but the timings worked to break the journey at Tarleton by taking a 2 there for half an hour. Stagecoach’s website said that ‘until further notice’ the 2A did not serve Tarleton but it was clear from BusTimes that this was long out of date and it did go round the village loop. Care needed as the 2A leaves from across the road from where I got off the 2 and the 2A goes round the village the same way in both directions. In the meantime I wandered down to the canal and river which was a scenic point although now overlooked by new housing. On from Tarleton to Ormskirk via some pretty quiet countryside. Burscough Bridge looked a really pleasant spot, again with a canal presence. Both the 2 and 2A were Scania/E400s but there was a wider variety of colours here including a yellow one – what is the point of this?

I had been through Ormskirk before on the 375/385 but not stopped off and you don’t see much here without stopping off. Actually you don’t see much if you do stop off. It was market day and very busy in the middle while the town suffers from a busy through road and congestion. It could do with an east-west bypass. From Ormskirk it was back to Arriva and a Pulsar on the 310 to Liverpool. This went through a few suburbs and then to Maghull. There are two routes through Maghull, the 300 and 310, and if they had run 15 minutes apart I might have stopped off at Maghull for 15 minutes as again there is a canal passing through. But they don’t, they run a couple of minutes apart – in both directions. But when I looked more deeply it is worse than this. The 310 is a straight 30 minute headway service throughout the inter-peak period. The 300, on the other hand, has, roughly, four gaps of 30 minutes, then one of 35, then one of 40, then back to the four gaps of 30 minutes. This is because the round trip, including stand time, is 3hrs 15 minutes but Arriva only put out 6 buses, so an even 30 minute frequency can’t be done. It could be every 32.5 minutes but that would probably be even worse. In the morning these work OK combining with the 310 but by the afternoon they run at the same times. Ludicrous! The 300 is from Southport and is run by Southport depot, but runs via Bootle. The 310 runs from Bootle depot, but doesn’t go via Bootle. Seems odd! And so at an obscure layby near Aintree racecourse we pulled in behind a white van and carried out a driver change. As the Scotland Road gets further into Liverpool there are quite a few empty spaces that could still be bomb sites and demolished buildings; presumably these are redevelopment opportunities for the next few years but still seem some way away. This area contrasts with a similar distance south of the city centre, such as Toxteth, which retains some Georgian buildings and has been substantially regenerated after riots of 40 years ago.

I love Liverpool city centre and had two targets for this visit, the area around St Georges Hall and Lime Street Station, close to Queen Square, and Exchange Flags, some way down Dale Street. I looked around the St Georges Hall area for a bit, including the Hillsborough Monument Memorial – I was actually on a bus trip in Liverpool the day of the tragedy but knew nothing about it until much later. I also went just as far as the London Road, good buildings around here but there was a lot of preparation going on for a forthcoming event. I then returned to Queen Square bus station where it was apparent there was a problem as nothing was leaving into the city centre. Further on the lights were going green and red but nothing was moving. At the lights, just round the corner in Victoria Street, was the reason – Volvo B5LH cross-river hybrid 4534 diagonally across the road with no gears. Small vehicles could squeeze past mainly on the pavement but large vehicles could not and so the whole area had ground to a halt. For about 5 minutes various drivers and hi-vis jacketed staff attempted to move it without success. I didn’t want to waste time watching nothing happening so I continued my brief look round the city centre and went down to the town hall and Exchange Flags area. By the time I returned 4534 had gone and I see it appeared to have returned to service by about 4.30.

Inevitably when I returned to Queen Square for my last leg there were long queues as the city centre had been in chaos for around 20 minutes and the 10A, which is one of very few routes which goes through Queen Square and on to the One Bus Station, was badly affected. I got an Arriva 10A back to St Helens, an E400, which turned up at about the time I had intended to leave but was actually one earlier journey. The previous Stagecoach trip had not turned up (in fact it had by-passed Queen Square, perhaps a good idea) and this one was already 14 minutes late and followed immediately by another Stagecoach one. From this trip it certainly looked like the 10A was excellent bus territory, although the gap in front of us has to be factored in. Plenty of people boarding in the city centre and a constant stream of passengers boarding and alighting all the way along the route. Inevitably we were bunched up with two Arriva and two Stagecoach buses all within 5 minutes by the time we got to St Helens – it should be every 15 minutes by each operator. By the time we arrived at St Helens we were 22 minutes late. As well as these four there was then a Pulsar which had been sent out to cover part of a later journey but it would have been much better off covering a bit less of the route but 5-10 minutes in front of us rather than behind the other four. Watching buses in the other direction there was a steady stream of buses, mostly with a decent number of passengers, but there were some gaps, my perception was particularly Stagecoach journeys missing. The end result is that it was not a fair journey on which to reflect whether the two operators running every 15 minutes each, properly spaced, in co-operation but competition, actually works here. Maybe I will try again later, perhaps when they both have hydrogen buses! I should have got off at Prescot as this looked quite attractive in the town centre but I did want to get back to St Helens for a short walk around at dusk. And then by around 5pm I was heading home after a great day out.

No impact on me from staff shortages or missing journeys as everything ran and I didn’t see any evidence of Arriva missing any journeys at all, nor Stagecoach in Preston but I’m not so sure about in Liverpool. Apart from the delays in Liverpool outside of their control (ish) then no problems with timekeeping either. I made the most of the daylight being in St Helens at both dawn and dusk and thoroughly enjoyed my interesting day.

A few pictures:

St Helens at dawn Wigan Chorley
Preston Tarleton Ormskirk
St Helens combi 1.jpg

Hillsborough Monument St Georges Hall Arriva 4534
Exchange Flags Lime Street St Helens at dusk
St Helens combi 2.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I was able to get another trip out last Thursday the weather forecast for the North West was for a glorious day, as indeed it was, and there were no other constraints at home or work. The majority was on Arriva buses so I have posted this here.

So 7am saw me parking up in St Helens with sunrise a few minutes later as I explored this town which I had not visited before. There is a big old fashioned kiln structure by the glass museum and some good municipal buildings worth seeing. My first bus was Arriva 352 to Wigan. To my surprise this was an E400, I was expecting the route to be 100% Pulsar. In fact I was surprised to see some deckers elsewhere on unexpected routes in the area, a couple on the 320 and one on the 31. Quite a busy run to Wigan with a number of school children but it did not justify the capacity of a decker. At Wigan the E400 went off to Skelmersdale as a 395 while I briefly explored the town centre. There is a really cute street just above the central square which leads to an attractive open square by the college there. After a short break it was on another Arriva bus, the 362 to Chorley. This was from a different division as the 362 is worked effectively as a through service with the 575 from Bolton using Sapphire liveried Pulsars highlighting both routes. No chance of a decker here if it wanted to get to Chorley intact with a 13 foot bridge en route. Not a great deal to see at Chorley unless I’ve missed something, but not unpleasant.

The next leg of my trip was the Stagecoach 125 to Preston, still very much a ‘Gold’ service with the vast majority of the buses, all Scania E400s, in gold colours. I had already done the southern half of the route to Bolton and now saw the northern half. It isn’t easy to keep a service this frequent (currently every 12 minutes, ‘normally’ every 10) from bunching except by having long pauses to keep to time – otherwise one bus getting slightly late gets further and further behind as it takes more passengers until it is caught be another one - but the 125 seemed to manage pretty well. Reasonably good load with passengers getting on and off. The route included Clayton Brook, which seemed quite nice, and the Walton Summit industrial area. The approach to Preston was quite busy but we arrived on time at the iconic bus station. Only half of this is now in use but it provides sufficient capacity, although pretty busy. The centre of Preston also has some decent municipal buildings and has a good open feel and I had half an hour to top up on provisions and walk around.

The next leg was to Ormskirk on the Stagecoach 2A but the timings worked to break the journey at Tarleton by taking a 2 there for half an hour. Stagecoach’s website said that ‘until further notice’ the 2A did not serve Tarleton but it was clear from BusTimes that this was long out of date and it did go round the village loop. Care needed as the 2A leaves from across the road from where I got off the 2 and the 2A goes round the village the same way in both directions. In the meantime I wandered down to the canal and river which was a scenic point although now overlooked by new housing. On from Tarleton to Ormskirk via some pretty quiet countryside. Burscough Bridge looked a really pleasant spot, again with a canal presence. Both the 2 and 2A were Scania/E400s but there was a wider variety of colours here including a yellow one – what is the point of this?

I had been through Ormskirk before on the 375/385 but not stopped off and you don’t see much here without stopping off. Actually you don’t see much if you do stop off. It was market day and very busy in the middle while the town suffers from a busy through road and congestion. It could do with an east-west bypass. From Ormskirk it was back to Arriva and a Pulsar on the 310 to Liverpool. This went through a few suburbs and then to Maghull. There are two routes through Maghull, the 300 and 310, and if they had run 15 minutes apart I might have stopped off at Maghull for 15 minutes as again there is a canal passing through. But they don’t, they run a couple of minutes apart – in both directions. But when I looked more deeply it is worse than this. The 310 is a straight 30 minute headway service throughout the inter-peak period. The 300, on the other hand, has, roughly, four gaps of 30 minutes, then one of 35, then one of 40, then back to the four gaps of 30 minutes. This is because the round trip, including stand time, is 3hrs 15 minutes but Arriva only put out 6 buses, so an even 30 minute frequency can’t be done. It could be every 32.5 minutes but that would probably be even worse. In the morning these work OK combining with the 310 but by the afternoon they run at the same times. Ludicrous! The 300 is from Southport and is run by Southport depot, but runs via Bootle. The 310 runs from Bootle depot, but doesn’t go via Bootle. Seems odd! And so at an obscure layby near Aintree racecourse we pulled in behind a white van and carried out a driver change. As the Scotland Road gets further into Liverpool there are quite a few empty spaces that could still be bomb sites and demolished buildings; presumably these are redevelopment opportunities for the next few years but still seem some way away. This area contrasts with a similar distance south of the city centre, such as Toxteth, which retains some Georgian buildings and has been substantially regenerated after riots of 40 years ago.

I love Liverpool city centre and had two targets for this visit, the area around St Georges Hall and Lime Street Station, close to Queen Square, and Exchange Flags, some way down Dale Street. I looked around the St Georges Hall area for a bit, including the Hillsborough Monument Memorial – I was actually on a bus trip in Liverpool the day of the tragedy but knew nothing about it until much later. I also went just as far as the London Road, good buildings around here but there was a lot of preparation going on for a forthcoming event. I then returned to Queen Square bus station where it was apparent there was a problem as nothing was leaving into the city centre. Further on the lights were going green and red but nothing was moving. At the lights, just round the corner in Victoria Street, was the reason – Volvo B5LH cross-river hybrid 4534 diagonally across the road with no gears. Small vehicles could squeeze past mainly on the pavement but large vehicles could not and so the whole area had ground to a halt. For about 5 minutes various drivers and hi-vis jacketed staff attempted to move it without success. I didn’t want to waste time watching nothing happening so I continued my brief look round the city centre and went down to the town hall and Exchange Flags area. By the time I returned 4534 had gone and I see it appeared to have returned to service by about 4.30.

Inevitably when I returned to Queen Square for my last leg there were long queues as the city centre had been in chaos for around 20 minutes and the 10A, which is one of very few routes which goes through Queen Square and on to the One Bus Station, was badly affected. I got an Arriva 10A back to St Helens, an E400, which turned up at about the time I had intended to leave but was actually one earlier journey. The previous Stagecoach trip had not turned up (in fact it had by-passed Queen Square, perhaps a good idea) and this one was already 14 minutes late and followed immediately by another Stagecoach one. From this trip it certainly looked like the 10A was excellent bus territory, although the gap in front of us has to be factored in. Plenty of people boarding in the city centre and a constant stream of passengers boarding and alighting all the way along the route. Inevitably we were bunched up with two Arriva and two Stagecoach buses all within 5 minutes by the time we got to St Helens – it should be every 15 minutes by each operator. By the time we arrived at St Helens we were 22 minutes late. As well as these four there was then a Pulsar which had been sent out to cover part of a later journey but it would have been much better off covering a bit less of the route but 5-10 minutes in front of us rather than behind the other four. Watching buses in the other direction there was a steady stream of buses, mostly with a decent number of passengers, but there were some gaps, my perception was particularly Stagecoach journeys missing. The end result is that it was not a fair journey on which to reflect whether the two operators running every 15 minutes each, properly spaced, in co-operation but competition, actually works here. Maybe I will try again later, perhaps when they both have hydrogen buses! I should have got off at Prescot as this looked quite attractive in the town centre but I did want to get back to St Helens for a short walk around at dusk. And then by around 5pm I was heading home after a great day out.

No impact on me from staff shortages or missing journeys as everything ran and I didn’t see any evidence of Arriva missing any journeys at all, nor Stagecoach in Preston but I’m not so sure about in Liverpool. Apart from the delays in Liverpool outside of their control (ish) then no problems with timekeeping either. I made the most of the daylight being in St Helens at both dawn and dusk and thoroughly enjoyed my interesting day.

A few pictures:

St Helens at dawn Wigan Chorley
Preston Tarleton Ormskirk
View attachment 105327

Hillsborough Monument St Georges Hall Arriva 4534
Exchange Flags Lime Street St Helens at dusk
View attachment 105328
Thank you for a very detailed and interesting travelogue, along with the excellent photographs. I guess I'll have to try and emulate you when I next post though don't know if I can rival for photogenic delights. Despite having lived in the North West in the past (twice), the hinterland between Liverpool, Wigan and Preston where the reborn North Western operated isn't an area where I've travelled about on so even more reason to appreciate your report.

A few things that you've mentioned caught my eye. First of all, the non clockface timetables that Arriva NW employ is something I experienced a few months back with services on a 40 minute headway on some quite major routes. Not the best but appreciate that they are fixing the frequency to the resource rather than the other way round.

Also, you mentioned Ormskirk which I've visited (with Skem) a few times with work. It's a busy place but the bus station is one of those spots that seems unchanged despite the last forty years.

I've found Arriva Merseyside/North West to be one of the better OpCos and it did have quite a decent fleet though, with the capital spend shackles of recent years, it could do with more than just the relatively small number of Streetdecks and Streetlites due. Stagecoach are also ok and have been good with their fleet replacement though the issue of marketing etc is a challenge on both operators.

ps Love the descriptions of the architecture. Preston is blessed with some beautiful buildings. Shame you didn't have time to explore Skem; I enjoyed my wander into the 1950s dystopian world of New Towns with Harlow a few weeks back and you could have done the same!

RELL6L

Thank you for a very detailed and interesting travelogue, along with the excellent photographs. I guess I'll have to try and emulate you when I next post though don't know if I can rival for photogenic delights. Despite having lived in the North West in the past (twice), the hinterland between Liverpool, Wigan and Preston where the reborn North Western operated isn't an area where I've travelled about on so even more reason to appreciate your report.

A few things that you've mentioned caught my eye. First of all, the non clockface timetables that Arriva NW employ is something I experienced a few months back with services on a 40 minute headway on some quite major routes. Not the best but appreciate that they are fixing the frequency to the resource rather than the other way round.

Also, you mentioned Ormskirk which I've visited (with Skem) a few times with work. It's a busy place but the bus station is one of those spots that seems unchanged despite the last forty years.

I've found Arriva Merseyside/North West to be one of the better OpCos and it did have quite a decent fleet though, with the capital spend shackles of recent years, it could do with more than just the relatively small number of Streetdecks and Streetlites due. Stagecoach are also ok and have been good with their fleet replacement though the issue of marketing etc is a challenge on both operators.

ps Love the descriptions of the architecture. Preston is blessed with some beautiful buildings. Shame you didn't have time to explore Skem; I enjoyed my wander into the 1950s dystopian world of New Towns with Harlow a few weeks back and you could have done the same!
I agree on the clock face (or not) timetables. There are the 329 and 360 which are every 40 minutes (linked), also the 61 (Halton) is every 40 minutes. There are also some weird ones like the 52 and 52A being every 24 minutes each, but the 300 is the worst I've seen - although maybe some are worse in Wales. But they are one of the better Arriva companies, presumably they are pretty profitable (they certainly ought to be!) - but some decent fleet investment would be welcomed. Ormskirk bus station is in a bit of a time warp. I haven't been to Skem (except through it on a 375/385), afraid it is not high on my priority list!

TheSel

An excellent report - many thanks for posting. In response to both yours and @TheGrandWazoo's comments about Ormskirk Bus station not having changed for many a year, may I attach the two photos below that show that if nothing else, the trees have grown!

1636475398988.png
Arriva North West 52 - J735MFY - Ormskirk Bus Station, Stand 5, 22 October 1998.

1636475584376.png
Stagecoach Merseyside 11117 - SK68LWM - Ormskirk Bus Station, stand 5, 10 October 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
So yesterday I took a trip up to the Buses of Somerset empire to sample some of their routes up there so here it goes:

Firstly I left Exeter by taking a Stagecoach 55 service up to Tiverton where I then connected onto the 22 to go to Taunton. This goes via Willand and Uffculme as well then it goes onto Wellington and Taunton afterwards. This was in the hands of 33380.

Afterwards I rode on the 29 up to Wells from Taunton which was 42966. The 29 I will say is a very scenic route going across the Somerset Levels. I stopped off in Wells for a few hours too for a drink and a quick wander around, I will say it's a very quaint little city!

I then got back to the bus station for the 15:30 77 to Yeovil which was in the hands of 42951. I will admit though this service was very busy with students travelling from Street to Yeovil but again this one is a very scenic route too. I then got into Yeovil bus station so then I could catch a South West Coaches 68 service to Yeovil Junction so I could catch my South Western Railway service back to Exeter.

In my honest opinion as I've said before Buses of Somerset have as much of an interesting fleet as Kernow do so to me it's a shame they're often overlooked in this thread. All in all yesterday was an absolutely fantastic day!

Callum15632

So yesterday I took a trip up to the Buses of Somerset empire to sample some of their routes up there so here it goes:

Firstly I left Exeter by taking a Stagecoach 55 service up to Tiverton where I then connected onto the 22 to go to Taunton. This goes via Willand and Uffculme as well then it goes onto Wellington and Taunton afterwards. This was in the hands of 33380.

Afterwards I rode on the 29 up to Wells from Taunton which was 42966. The 29 I will say is a very scenic route going across the Somerset Levels. I stopped off in Wells for a few hours too for a drink and a quick wander around, I will say it's a very quaint little city!

I then got back to the bus station for the 15:30 77 to Yeovil which was in the hands of 42951. I will admit though this service was very busy with students travelling from Street to Yeovil but again this one is a very scenic route too. I then got into Yeovil bus station so then I could catch a South West Coaches 68 service to Yeovil Junction so I could catch my South Western Railway service back to Exeter.

In my honest opinion as I've said before Buses of Somerset have as much of an interesting fleet as Kernow do so to me it's a shame they're often overlooked in this thread. All in all yesterday was an absolutely fantastic day!
Do you mean 42950 worked the 15:30 77 To Yeovil as 42951 worked the 15:30 77 to Wells.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Apologies for the delay in responding.

First of all, thanks for sharing your day with us. Sounds like you had a great day experiencing some of the best routes and some mature vehicles.

Interesting that you had a Trident on the long 22 to Tiverton. I'd hoped I might have one when I did it a couple of months ago but it was a Streetlite. That infrequent service is a bit of a funny fish of a route - feels like a Tiverton to Willand and a Taunton to Wellington pair of routes but there were a few people making the through journey on a Saturday afternoon which surprised me. Those ALX Tridents have been good servants to BoS and are still quite decent to travel on though they are getting on a bit.

The 29 to Wells is a lovely run out. It's a route that waxes and wanes - it's been hourly and then cut back a few times. It's been entrusted to the dodgiest minibuses in the past and had spells when the biblical floods have meant it couldn't run through but it's a hidden delight especially in the area where after leaving Creech, it goes out to Burrowbridge then up to Othery and then out to Ashcott. Wells is a beautiful cathedral city and there's a few good pubs in which to slake your thirst; I remember going there the first time in 1992 and absolutely loving the place. Little did I know I'd live nearby about 20 years later. Those Darts might be a bit old but, hold the front page, but they're in good shape and better turned out than equivalent Stagecoach ones.

The 77 is another great run out. Last time I did it, I bailed at Somerton (to head to Taunton) and you did the right thing in travelling to Yeovil as it's a fun drop down to Ilchester.

You are absolutely right; the FSW thread is a little bit Kernow-centric. It's the bigger operation and has a lot going on but that's to overlook the joys of Buses of Somerset. A very interesting fleet, albeit mature (but that's some of the charm). However, it's better turned out than it was, they are improving things bit by bit and with developments like the Truronian College win and the Exmoor Coaster, all power to them.

Apologies for the delay in responding.

First of all, thanks for sharing your day with us. Sounds like you had a great day experiencing some of the best routes and some mature vehicles.

Interesting that you had a Trident on the long 22 to Tiverton. I'd hoped I might have one when I did it a couple of months ago but it was a Streetlite. That infrequent service is a bit of a funny fish of a route - feels like a Tiverton to Willand and a Taunton to Wellington pair of routes but there were a few people making the through journey on a Saturday afternoon which surprised me. Those ALX Tridents have been good servants to BoS and are still quite decent to travel on though they are getting on a bit.

The 29 to Wells is a lovely run out. It's a route that waxes and wanes - it's been hourly and then cut back a few times. It's been entrusted to the dodgiest minibuses in the past and had spells when the biblical floods have meant it couldn't run through but it's a hidden delight especially in the area where after leaving Creech, it goes out to Burrowbridge then up to Othery and then out to Ashcott. Wells is a beautiful cathedral city and there's a few good pubs in which to slake your thirst; I remember going there the first time in 1992 and absolutely loving the place. Little did I know I'd live nearby about 20 years later. Those Darts might be a bit old but, hold the front page, but they're in good shape and better turned out than equivalent Stagecoach ones.

The 77 is another great run out. Last time I did it, I bailed at Somerton (to head to Taunton) and you did the right thing in travelling to Yeovil as it's a fun drop down to Ilchester.

You are absolutely right; the FSW thread is a little bit Kernow-centric. It's the bigger operation and has a lot going on but that's to overlook the joys of Buses of Somerset. A very interesting fleet, albeit mature (but that's some of the charm). However, it's better turned out than it was, they are improving things bit by bit and with developments like the Truronian College win and the Exmoor Coaster, all power to them.
I have to thank you for suggesting some routes to me and you are right, there are some lovely routes that Buses of Somerset operate. Somerset is just as breath-taking as Devon & Cornwall in my eyes!

Next time I come up, I'm hoping to do the 30, 21, 75 and 29.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I have to thank you for suggesting some routes to me and you are right, there are some lovely routes that Buses of Somerset operate. Somerset is just as breath-taking as Devon & Cornwall in my eyes!

Next time I come up, I'm hoping to do the 30, 21, 75 and 29.
Train from Exeter to Axminster.... then 30 to Chard, SWC96 to Yeovil, 77 to Glastonbury, 75 to Bridgwater (it's better heading this way) - the 21 is a bit dull to Taunton but is a nice dash along the A38 but you might have something fun to travel on!

If you to do something different, you can also do the Hatch Green service from Bridgwater to either Othery or Langport and try to connect with the 29 or 54

Last edited:
Train from Exeter to Axminster.... then 30 to Chard, SWC96 to Yeovil, 77 to Glastonbury, 75 to Bridgwater (it's better heading this way) - the 21 is a bit dull to Taunton but is a nice dash along the A38 but you might have something fun to travel on!

If you to do something different, you can also do the Hatch Green service from Bridgwater to either Othery or Langport and try to connect with the 29 or 54
I will bear those in mind!

route101

Established Member
Megabus Southampton to Oxford.

Paid £13 for one way fare booked the night before. This is one of the few megabus services on the South Coast. Service arrived early from Portsmouth and I jumped on along with 3 other passengers. Only one intermediate stop at Southampton Airport Parkway and a nice run up the A34. Journey time compares well to the train but lack of services means not a practical option.

peterblue

Last time I was in the area (Summer), I took First 28 Taunton-Minehead, First Exmoor coaster to Lynmouth, then a Filey's operated service to Barnstaple. The Exmoor coaster is splendid. I wanted to ride the funicular at Lynmouth while there, though unfortunately there was a big queue and I only had a ~30m connection window.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Last time I did a bus trip I caught the following routes, for just £8.50 (aka the Wiltshire Rover ticket)

• Stagecoach Oxfordshire 1: Cowley to Oxford* (10788, SN66 VZK). Just your typical Oxford city route
  • Stagecoach West Gold S6: Oxford to Swindon (10996, SN18 KVE). Nice scenery, lovely towns and villages in between
  • Stagecoach West 81: Swindon to Thorney Park and back (15737, VX61 FKL). Lovely scenery, one of these underrated not known routes unless if you're local!
  • Swindon's Bus Company 15: Swindon to Orbital Park (219, OY16 JVZ). Nice suburbs of Swindon
  • Swindon's Bus Company 5: Orbital Park to Rodbourne Road (2783, HF67 AUJ). Nothing really interesting, except a nice short scenic spot when just left Orbital Park climbing towards Haydon Wick
  • then a day at the Stagecoach West Swindon bus garage open day, with a ride on Stagecoach West 15346 (YP67 XBV) back to Swindon Town Centre
  • Stagecoach West Gold S6: Swindon to Watchfield (10992, SN18 KVA)
  • Stagecoach West Gold S6: Watchfield to Oxford (15349, YP67 XBY)
  • Oxford Bus Company U5: Oxford to Cowley* (608, RW64 OXF). Same as the 1 on the section I caught, just your typical Oxford city route

*The £8.50 Wiltshire Rover ticket is not valid on these routes so I used an already valid £4.30 Oxford Smartzone ticket)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Last time I did a bus trip I caught the following routes, for just £8.50 (aka the Wiltshire Rover ticket)

• Stagecoach Oxfordshire 1: Cowley to Oxford* (10788, SN66 VZK). Just your typical Oxford city route
  • Stagecoach West Gold S6: Oxford to Swindon (10996, SN18 KVE). Nice scenery, lovely towns and villages in between
  • Stagecoach West 81: Swindon to Thorney Park and back (15737, VX61 FKL). Lovely scenery, one of these underrated not known routes unless if you're local!
  • Swindon's Bus Company 15: Swindon to Orbital Park (219, OY16 JVZ). Nice suburbs of Swindon
  • Swindon's Bus Company 5: Orbital Park to Rodbourne Road (2783, HF67 AUJ). Nothing really interesting, except a nice short scenic spot when just left Orbital Park climbing towards Haydon Wick
  • then a day at the Stagecoach West Swindon bus garage open day, with a ride on Stagecoach West 15346 (YP67 XBV) back to Swindon Town Centre
  • Stagecoach West Gold S6: Swindon to Watchfield (10992, SN18 KVA)
  • Stagecoach West Gold S6: Watchfield to Oxford (15349, YP67 XBY)
  • Oxford Bus Company U5: Oxford to Cowley* (608, RW64 OXF). Same as the 1 on the section I caught, just your typical Oxford city route

*The £8.50 Wiltshire Rover ticket is not valid on these routes so I used an already valid £4.30 Oxford Smartzone ticket)
Ages since I did a Wiltshire Day Rover; it's a great ticket.

The S6 is a fast fun run through the countryside and it's been a real success story. I don't know if I'd have decamped at Watchfield though; not a huge amount there so I'd have gone to Faringdon.

Interesting that you took the 81. I'd forgotten about that and yeah, it's a funny little route out but quite pleasant as it skirts the bottom of Marlborough Downs. There's a lot to be said for sampling some obscure local route!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Ages since I did a Wiltshire Day Rover; it's a great ticket.

The S6 is a fast fun run through the countryside and it's been a real success story. I don't know if I'd have decamped at Watchfield though; not a huge amount there so I'd have gone to Faringdon.

Interesting that you took the 81. I'd forgotten about that and yeah, it's a funny little route out but quite pleasant as it skirts the bottom of Marlborough Downs. There's a lot to be said for sampling some obscure local route!

My original plan was to do the 7 to Highworth & back but I saw a DD on the 81 so I chose the latter instead.

The only reason why I got off in Watchfield was because a friend of mine who partially joined the trip with me needed to go to work at his pub - College. And I used it as an opportunity to try out the food there. Spoiler alert: it was delicious

P.S. I've also, back at the beginning of October, done the X5 to Salisbury (down to Salisbury I had 1505 HF59 FAO and up to Swindon I had 1545 HJ63 JKO). X5 is also amazing, particularly from Swindon to Pewsey.

Next up, I'd love to do the 7, 49, 51, 53, 55 and 80 whenever I go to Swindon again.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
My original plan was to do the 7 to Highworth & back but I saw a DD on the 81 so I chose the latter instead.

The only reason why I got off in Watchfield was because a friend of mine who partially joined the trip with me needed to go to work at his pub - College. And I used it as an opportunity to try out the food there. Spoiler alert: it was delicious

P.S. I've also, back at the beginning of October, done the X5 to Salisbury (down to Salisbury I had 1505 HF59 FAO and up to Swindon I had 1545 HJ63 JKO). X5 is also amazing, particularly from Swindon to Pewsey.

Next up, I'd love to do the 7, 49, 51, 53, 55 and 80 whenever I go to Swindon again.
Well, of those (and just my personal opinions on the ones I know)

The 51 is actually a bit dull from Swindon to Ciren. It's actually a bit nicer as you head into the Cotswolds proper. The 55 is perfectly fine but not that memorable.

The 80 is a very pleasant trip out - not done the full whack but nearly (Tidworth to Swindon - just the once) and it's a sparsely populated area from Tidworth via the Collingbournes. I tied my trip in with one of the obscure Salisbury to Tidworth runs.

The 49 is a route I've done countless times....including on a Thamesdown Dominator and, for true variety, one of their Dennis Falcons! Nowadays, its a Stagecoach e400 and one of my favourite runs. Great sweeping views as you head south through Broad Hinton, then Avebury, out across Beckhampton Downs (big sky territory) and then the dive down into Bishops Cannings, and then you end up in Devizes which is a true delight. I'd not bother with Trowbridge....in general!

If you haven't done it, I'd recommend the Swindon to Hungerford services via Ramsbury. Real hidden gems in a hidden corner betwixt and between counties.

RELL6L

I strongly agree with The Grand Wazoo on the merits of Wiltshire, there are some very scenic parts and some are more accessible by bus than in certain other counties.
The 51 is quite decent around South Cerney, also Cricklade is good, but the better part is north of Cirencester.
The 80 is good, I have done it to Ludgershall (which is nice) and it goes via a scenic back route some of the way between Swindon and Marlborough whereas the X5 goes on the main road. A slight loss of dignity for the 80 which is the successor to the 470 which for many years was the main road route between Swindon and Marlborough extending down what is now the 80 to Tidworth and beyond. At Ludgershall (or Tidworth) you can connect on the Stagecoach / More Bus 8 from Salisbury to Andover.
The 49 is a great run. I first did it on a Bristol MW from Swindon to Devizes - that dates me - it only ran a few times a day! Now an hourly service with deckers. If you have time stop off at Devizes and Caen Hill locks. And Avebury!
The 46 and 48 and variations in the hinterland of Swindon, Marlborough and Hungerford are good, Aldbourne and Ramsbury are lovely.
The 42 from Calne to Marlborough is largely along the A4 but it is a scenic part and it does dive off a few times into small villages.
Also recommend the 77 from Cirencester to Lechlade (and Highworth), this is an attractive run. From Highworth you can get the frequent 7 to Swindon.
The 77 also now seems to have a journey that runs on from Lechlade to Burford (albeit at the moment only in darkness). BusTimes says it is for college students only but Stagecoach's own website clearly says otherwise.
But watch out for cancellations on Stagecoach West - plentiful at the moment!
Never done the 81!

route101

Established Member
Planning to do the X5 soon from Salisbury to Swindon. Can do it on one ticket from Southampton.

Used a Bluestar/Morebus network day ticket yesterday. Took train to Weymouth and started from there.

X12 - Weymouth to Blandford. Nice run on the A354 on a 17 plate dart.
X8 - Blandford to Poole. 63 plate E400.
M1 - Poole to Bournemouth - E200MMC.
X3 - Bournemouth to Salisbury. 63 plate E400.
X7R - Salisbury to Southampton. Stonehenge branded E400MMC.

I noted there is only a Blandford to Salisbury service on the weekdays. I was looking to do that route.

In addition Winchester to Salisbury service is sparse too.

Hope to do Wiltshire Day ticket soon.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Planning to do the X5 soon from Salisbury to Swindon. Can do it on one ticket from Southampton.

Used a Bluestar/Morebus network day ticket yesterday. Took train to Weymouth and started from there.

X12 - Weymouth to Blandford. Nice run on the A354 on a 17 plate dart.
X8 - Blandford to Poole. 63 plate E400.
M1 - Poole to Bournemouth - E200MMC.
X3 - Bournemouth to Salisbury. 63 plate E400.
X7R - Salisbury to Southampton. Stonehenge branded E400MMC.

I noted there is only a Blandford to Salisbury service on the weekdays. I was looking to do that route.

In addition Winchester to Salisbury service is sparse too.

Hope to do Wiltshire Day ticket soon.
Some lovely trips there. I'd noticed that the X12 was now e200 operated which is a bit disappointing as its a nice run in a decker but it probably makes sense. My first visit to Wiltshire was a Saturday morning trip on the X3 to Salisbury - just remember it was a glorious morning and catching by first view of the Cathedral spire from the top deck of a VR. A view worth travelling from Russia for a day trip....

The Winchester to Salisbury has had a bit of a charmed existence for a few years. Unfortunately, like a few routes in that area, such as Andover to Salisbury via the Wallops and Salisbury to Tidworth via Porton, it's declined a lot over the last 20 years. Keep us posted on your Wiltshire adventures.

route101

Established Member
Some lovely trips there. I'd noticed that the X12 was now e200 operated which is a bit disappointing as its a nice run in a decker but it probably makes sense. My first visit to Wiltshire was a Saturday morning trip on the X3 to Salisbury - just remember it was a glorious morning and catching by first view of the Cathedral spire from the top deck of a VR. A view worth travelling from Russia for a day trip....

The Winchester to Salisbury has had a bit of a charmed existence for a few years. Unfortunately, like a few routes in that area, such as Andover to Salisbury via the Wallops and Salisbury to Tidworth via Porton, it's declined a lot over the last 20 years. Keep us posted on your Wiltshire adventures.
A decker on the X12 went in the other direction.

What was the service like on the Salisbury to Winchester route before?

RELL6L

The weather was set fair yesterday and I was able to take a day trip although I had to be home in good time for my booster jab, so I was a bit restricted in where I could go. Following the recent discussion on this thread I settled on doing a Wiltshire trip. The one I had planned started and finished in Aldbourne, fairly easy to access, with options to do the trip either way round. However the anti-clockwise option vanished when I looked at Stagecoach West’s twitter feed and saw that three consecutive Chippenham journeys on the 55 were cancelled! The clockwise option depended on a short connection after the first bus so I hoped for the best.

It was freezing at Aldbourne, the pond was frozen over and the green in front of the church was very frosty. The sun was out though and it all looked good. Bang on time my X46 for Hungerford appeared, an older Pointer Dart, and I bought my Wiltshire Rover. Now Hungerford is not in Wiltshire but I have seen specifically that the ticket is valid there and I had no difficulty with it. Unhelpfully there was a road closure in Ramsbury from 9.00 and, although we arrived at the end of the said road at 8.59 my driver was taking no chances so we went the long way round, going into the village the way we should come out and doing a U turn on the village square. So we were 5 minutes late, which was a concern with an 8 minute connection but there were no further delays. We entered Hungerford just behind the Go Ahead Swindon E200 coming in on the X20 and I relaxed as it has to circle the terminal loop before heading off again, which it did, and we set off on the 20 to Marlborough on time. This route goes via some narrow lanes and rural villages including Great Bedwyn and, although I was the only passenger at the start, we did pick a few up on the way.

Marlborough is a lovely town and I had a brief wander round and picked up some supplies. The next trip was on the Stagecoach 42. This tracked into Marlborough from the previous journey on time at about 10.05 but then headed off in the direction of Swindon up the main road, which was somewhat of a concern. It disappeared after a few minutes, last seen at Ogbourne St George. I waited with a few other folk outside the betting shop and bang on time it appeared, but a different bus. The driver said he had gone off to collect a different bus as the old one (36379) had a fault, I guess he must have swapped with an engineer at or around Ogbourne St George. So we proceeded instead with 36380, another E200. Some of the journeys to Calne are relatively direct, mine visited pretty much every village or habitation anywhere near the A4, with the exception of Compton Bassett. This included villages west of Marlborough on the south side of the A4, then Avebury, giving a good view of the stone circle, then Yatesbury, some way up a dead end to the north, then off to the south again just to turn round in the middle of nowhere. No passengers except me between Lockeridge and the edge of Calne though, rather depressingly. An attractive journey through the chalk downs of Wiltshire though.

I had time for a short wander around Calne town centre before the next leg, some of the back streets are quite pleasant. From Calne I was to get the 55 to Chippenham. The one I was aiming for seemed to have stopped tracking at Royal Wootton Bassett so I wasn’t sure it was going to turn up, but then suddenly appeared again about 6 minutes late. A Scania/E400, my only double decker of the day, it caught up some time and was only a couple of minutes late when we got to Chippenham. From Chippenham back to Swindon I had a choice (ignoring the railway option and the 55, which I had done before). I could have 3 minutes in Chippenham and an hour in Malmesbury or an hour in Chippenham and 8 minutes in Malmesbury. I had visited both places before and no need for a long stay in either and I didn’t want an 8 minute connection for a vital leg. So I found a third option, the Faresaver 91 which goes from Chippenham to Little Somerford. This gave me 20 minutes in Chippenham and then an hour and a quarter in Little Somerford – because only half of the 31/31A from Malmesbury to Swindon call in there. The 91 was an E200 and did carry a few passengers, clearly regulars, and also a driver learning the route. As I had plenty of time I got off the 91 at Great Somerford and took the time to walk up to Little Somerford and eat my sandwich at leisure. By this time it was not too cold and the sun was right behind me (don’t do this the other way at midday in winter!). Neither village was anything special but both nice enough. So then back to Swindon on the Coachstyle 31A from Little Somerford, an unremarkable but punctual journey on a Solo, including going through Royal Wootton Bassett.

I have been to Swindon a few times and there is nothing more I want to see. I might have stopped off at Great Western Outlet Village but the gaps in the 55 were returning, or rather not returning right now and I didn’t want to take the risk of missing my final leg. This was the 48 back to Aldbourne. I had been watching this track on earlier journeys and, as the 46A to Hungerford, it appeared to have had a disaster around the closed road in Ramsbury and was 15 minutes late arriving in Hungerford. Then it disappeared altogether, so I thought it might be returning empty. But in fact it arrived back in Swindon Bus Station just 5 minutes late showing X46, as it should, with passengers, but not tracking. Not quite sure how it would do that! It was another E200, which duly (after a driver change lasting nearly 10 minutes) set off back to Aldbourne. It was getting dark by the time I arrived but at least the pond had unfrozen!

Stagecoach West are really struggling, lots of cancellations on the frequent routes, eg 7, 9, 10, 55, S6, some also on the 51 which is poor. But they are on Twitter in good time – which seems to be pretty accurate as to what happens – and on a noticeboard at the bus station.

The Wiltshire Rover is very good value for £8.50 and I enjoyed blue sky and sunshine all day and some interesting and scenic places. Yes I was home in time for my jab.

Some pictures, as ever:

Aldbourne / Aldbourne / Ramsbury / Hungerford / Marlborough

Avebury / Calne / Chippenham / Little Somerford / Royal Wootton Bassett

Aldbourne selection.jpg

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
A decker on the X12 went in the other direction.

What was the service like on the Salisbury to Winchester route before?
When I first travelled on the Salisbury to Winchester service, it was the 68 and it went about every 3 hours with a longish route (about 80 mins. It was Stagecoach and operated by elderly Leyland Nationals from Winchester depot.

I think it then got won by Wilts and Dorset under tender and gained route branded Metroriders; it may have gone to two hourly at that time. It then became the 32 and got speeded up. I can't recall how it then passed to Stagecoach again

The weather was set fair yesterday and I was able to take a day trip although I had to be home in good time for my booster jab, so I was a bit restricted in where I could go. Following the recent discussion on this thread I settled on doing a Wiltshire trip. The one I had planned started and finished in Aldbourne, fairly easy to access, with options to do the trip either way round. However the anti-clockwise option vanished when I looked at Stagecoach West’s twitter feed and saw that three consecutive Chippenham journeys on the 55 were cancelled! The clockwise option depended on a short connection after the first bus so I hoped for the best.

It was freezing at Aldbourne, the pond was frozen over and the green in front of the church was very frosty. The sun was out though and it all looked good. Bang on time my X46 for Hungerford appeared, an older Pointer Dart, and I bought my Wiltshire Rover. Now Hungerford is not in Wiltshire but I have seen specifically that the ticket is valid there and I had no difficulty with it. Unhelpfully there was a road closure in Ramsbury from 9.00 and, although we arrived at the end of the said road at 8.59 my driver was taking no chances so we went the long way round, going into the village the way we should come out and doing a U turn on the village square. So we were 5 minutes late, which was a concern with an 8 minute connection but there were no further delays. We entered Hungerford just behind the Go Ahead Swindon E200 coming in on the X20 and I relaxed as it has to circle the terminal loop before heading off again, which it did, and we set off on the 20 to Marlborough on time. This route goes via some narrow lanes and rural villages including Great Bedwyn and, although I was the only passenger at the start, we did pick a few up on the way.

Marlborough is a lovely town and I had a brief wander round and picked up some supplies. The next trip was on the Stagecoach 42. This tracked into Marlborough from the previous journey on time at about 10.05 but then headed off in the direction of Swindon up the main road, which was somewhat of a concern. It disappeared after a few minutes, last seen at Ogbourne St George. I waited with a few other folk outside the betting shop and bang on time it appeared, but a different bus. The driver said he had gone off to collect a different bus as the old one (36379) had a fault, I guess he must have swapped with an engineer at or around Ogbourne St George. So we proceeded instead with 36380, another E200. Some of the journeys to Calne are relatively direct, mine visited pretty much every village or habitation anywhere near the A4, with the exception of Compton Bassett. This included villages west of Marlborough on the south side of the A4, then Avebury, giving a good view of the stone circle, then Yatesbury, some way up a dead end to the north, then off to the south again just to turn round in the middle of nowhere. No passengers except me between Lockeridge and the edge of Calne though, rather depressingly. An attractive journey through the chalk downs of Wiltshire though.

I had time for a short wander around Calne town centre before the next leg, some of the back streets are quite pleasant. From Calne I was to get the 55 to Chippenham. The one I was aiming for seemed to have stopped tracking at Royal Wootton Bassett so I wasn’t sure it was going to turn up, but then suddenly appeared again about 6 minutes late. A Scania/E400, my only double decker of the day, it caught up some time and was only a couple of minutes late when we got to Chippenham. From Chippenham back to Swindon I had a choice (ignoring the railway option and the 55, which I had done before). I could have 3 minutes in Chippenham and an hour in Malmesbury or an hour in Chippenham and 8 minutes in Malmesbury. I had visited both places before and no need for a long stay in either and I didn’t want an 8 minute connection for a vital leg. So I found a third option, the Faresaver 91 which goes from Chippenham to Little Somerford. This gave me 20 minutes in Chippenham and then an hour and a quarter in Little Somerford – because only half of the 31/31A from Malmesbury to Swindon call in there. The 91 was an E200 and did carry a few passengers, clearly regulars, and also a driver learning the route. As I had plenty of time I got off the 91 at Great Somerford and took the time to walk up to Little Somerford and eat my sandwich at leisure. By this time it was not too cold and the sun was right behind me (don’t do this the other way at midday in winter!). Neither village was anything special but both nice enough. So then back to Swindon on the Coachstyle 31A from Little Somerford, an unremarkable but punctual journey on a Solo, including going through Royal Wootton Bassett.

I have been to Swindon a few times and there is nothing more I want to see. I might have stopped off at Great Western Outlet Village but the gaps in the 55 were returning, or rather not returning right now and I didn’t want to take the risk of missing my final leg. This was the 48 back to Aldbourne. I had been watching this track on earlier journeys and, as the 46A to Hungerford, it appeared to have had a disaster around the closed road in Ramsbury and was 15 minutes late arriving in Hungerford. Then it disappeared altogether, so I thought it might be returning empty. But in fact it arrived back in Swindon Bus Station just 5 minutes late showing X46, as it should, with passengers, but not tracking. Not quite sure how it would do that! It was another E200, which duly (after a driver change lasting nearly 10 minutes) set off back to Aldbourne. It was getting dark by the time I arrived but at least the pond had unfrozen!

Stagecoach West are really struggling, lots of cancellations on the frequent routes, eg 7, 9, 10, 55, S6, some also on the 51 which is poor. But they are on Twitter in good time – which seems to be pretty accurate as to what happens – and on a noticeboard at the bus station.

The Wiltshire Rover is very good value for £8.50 and I enjoyed blue sky and sunshine all day and some interesting and scenic places. Yes I was home in time for my jab.

Some pictures, as ever:

Aldbourne / Aldbourne / Ramsbury / Hungerford / Marlborough

Avebury / Calne / Chippenham / Little Somerford / Royal Wootton Bassett

View attachment 106024
First of all, thank you for the excellent trip report and the photos. You certainly had the weather for it even if it looked a bit chilly in Aldbourne which, as a start/finish point, is rather brave in these days of cancellations. In fact, it makes for a slightly stressful time in having such trips but first world problems and all that!

I'm a great fan of the Wiltshire Day Rover and it's one of the best tickets going; I'd thoroughly recommend it to people as a multi operator ticket around a beautifully scenic county. Also, it has always had the sensible approach of enabling you to go across the border to certain towns rather than a fixed stop point on the county line. So it was always that you could travel to Bath or Frome or Cirencester and even to Oxford and Southampton though never from Salisbury to Weymouth or Bournemouth.

As for your day, the photos look lovely and they are places that I know, living next door in Somerset and having done many WDR's since my first one 30 years ago, though I confess, not done one for a while (too little time, too many pandemics).

It was about 3.5 years ago that I finally managed to do Swindon to Hungerford, and then back to Marlborough. The run out through Liddington, Aldbourne and Ramsbury is a fabulous spot, tucked away in a netherworld between Swindon and Newbury of cute little villages. I cycled round there (lunching at Lambourn) just a few weeks ago and it really is just hidden away. Great little routes though note the services have gone from Thamesdown e200s to elderly Stagecoach Darts at the last tender change. I've not done the 42 since it was Hatts Travel (remember them?) but I too have done the Somerfords. My experience was also on a cold day in January and I bailed from the 31 on the main road, and had to walk downhill into Little Somerford at a brisk pace and pray that the schooldays only journey was running!

Interesting your views on Calne. I absolutely adore Wiltshire and it has many beautiful places. There are, though, a number of places (Calne, Melksham, Trowbridge) that have the Georgian buildings and evidence of previous wealth etc, but really aren't that great. I mean, they're not a war zone or sink estate but the aesthetics don't quite match experience IMO. Mind you, Calne does have a lovely spot where you can cycle out past the old canal and along the old rail line to Chippenham which is very pretty.

Lastly, back on cancellations, it really is a massive problem for operators and well done for Stagecoach in trying to keep people informed. It really is difficult for firms to keep on top of everything so kudos to those that are managing it. I note you didn't take a photo of Swindon bus station; less than attractive and whilst the multi-storey that cast the place in shadow has now gone, the place is still a hideous 80s throwback.

Last edited:

RELL6L

When I first travelled on the Salisbury to Winchester service, it was the 68 and it went about every 3 hours with a longish route (about 80 mins. It was Stagecoach and operated by elderly Leyland Nationals from Winchester depot.

I think it then got won by Wilts and Dorset under tender and gained route branded Metroriders; it may have gone to two hourly at that time. It then became the 32 and got speeded up. I can't recall how it then passed to Stagecoach again

First of all, thank you for the excellent trip report and the photos. You certainly had the weather for it even if it looked a bit chilly in Aldbourne which, as a start/finish point, is rather brave in these days of cancellations. In fact, it makes for a slightly stressful time in having such trips but first world problems and all that!

I'm a great fan of the Wiltshire Day Rover and it's one of the best tickets going; I'd thoroughly recommend it to people as a multi operator ticket around a beautifully scenic county. Also, it has always had the sensible approach of enabling you to go across the border to certain towns rather than a fixed stop point on the county line. So it was always that you could travel to Bath or Frome or Cirencester and even to Oxford and Southampton though never from Salisbury to Weymouth or Bournemouth.

As for your day, the photos look lovely and they are places that I know, living next door in Somerset and having done many WDR's since my first one 30 years ago, though I confess, not done one for a while (too little time, too many pandemics).

It was about 3.5 years ago that I finally managed to do Swindon to Hungerford, and then back to Marlborough. The run out through Liddington, Aldbourne and Ramsbury is a fabulous spot, tucked away in a netherworld between Swindon and Newbury of cute little villages. I cycled round there (lunching at Lambourn) just a few weeks ago and it really is just hidden away. Great little routes though note the services have gone from Thamesdown e200s to elderly Stagecoach Darts at the last tender change. I've not done the 42 since it was Hatts Travel (remember them?) but I too have done the Somerfords. My experience was also on a cold day in January and I bailed from the 31 on the main road, and had to walk downhill into Little Somerford at a brisk pace and pray that the schooldays only journey was running!

Interesting your views on Calne. I absolutely adore Wiltshire and it has many beautiful places. There are, though, a number of places (Calne, Melksham, Trowbridge) that have the Georgian buildings and evidence of previous wealth etc, but really aren't that great. I mean, they're not a war zone or sink estate but the aesthetics don't quite match experience IMO. Mind you, Calne does have a lovely spot where you can cycle out past the old canal and along the old rail line to Chippenham which is very pretty.

Lastly, back on cancellations, it really is a massive problem for operators and well done for Stagecoach in trying to keep people informed. It really is difficult for firms to keep on top of everything so kudos to those that are managing it. I note you didn't take a photo of Swindon bus station; less than attractive and whilst the multi-storey that cast the place in shadow has now gone, the place is still a hideous 80s throwback.

It was certainly cold in Aldbourne but I could stay warm in my car until nearly the time for the bus! It is a great hinterland around this area as it is not on the way to anywhere and they are attractive villages. There was a time when Thamesdown ran Dominators on the Marlborough route at least; given that Stagecoach appear to duplicate the school journeys to Marlborough you would have thought this might be an option now - or perhaps the trees are too established to be cut back. Lambourn is another good one, once there were several routes available but now only a regular service to Newbury and 4-5 times a day to Swindon.

I totally understand where you are coming from on Calne, Melksham and Trowbridge. They do have some great Georgian architecture but they have also fairly recently been quite industrial and all have their share of deprivation. Certainly money has been spent on improving Calne town centre while round the green and the church it is really nice. Melksham also has superb area around Church Street. Trowbridge has work to do to match these, in my opinion, as does Westbury. I much prefer Devizes and Bradford on Avon in this area. I did take a picture of Swindon, although not the bus station (horrible) but it didn't make the cut for my report.

route101

Established Member
Look forward to using a Wiltshire Day Rider. Is it only available from the driver?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Look forward to using a Wiltshire Day Rider. Is it only available from the driver?
Yeah - in fact, I can't recall it ever being available from anywhere else e.g. bus enquiry office, rail station, post office etc.

Some excellent places to visit as @RELL6L has demonstrated! Another quality trip out courtesy of WDR is a trip to Shaftesbury (home of the Hovis hill) - very scenic run up the Chalke Valley from Salisbury!

route101

Established Member
Done my first Wiltshire Day Rover yesterday.

Took train from Southampton to Salisbury. (X7 bus runs later on Saturday mornings)
X5 Salisbury to Swindon. Nice run up the back road to Marlborough.
S6 Swindon to Oxford. Not too interesting but Farringdon looked pleasant.

Only two buses I used with rover but covered some good distance. next time I will use the routes to Devizes and Chippenham.

I used the Oxford Tube to get to London. I used the Stagecoach app to buy a single ticket. For some reason my ticket disappeared when I tried to activate it. The ticket was not shown in expired tickets tab yet I got a email receipt. So I had to buy another ticket on board, £11 one way. Due to traffic at Shepard's Bush it took 3 hours and 15 minutes to get to Victoria.

Only had an hour before my National Express to Southampton via Basingstoke/Winchester.