• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trips by Bus and Coach: Your reports

RELL6L

Thanks to @TheGrandWazoo for two superb reports on trips in Cornwall.

Very poor that the last 50 to St Mawes did not wait for the 51 from St Austell, that's crazy since they are clearly designed to connect. I note that most days it is the last 50 which is late and the 51 does appear to wait. I am not sure I would have risked it when you had the option of getting the 27 to Probus at 17.20 with a comfortable connection across the road onto the 51. And I always like to do something different!

Totally agree with you on Mevagissey and Charlestown, both delightful places with great atmosphere.

Like you I have not done the Tin Coaster to St Just but it is on my list. I did do the Atlantic Coaster in 2013 and it definitely went into the Geevor tin mine, but it was open that day! I did much the same as you but I got off the Coaster at Sheffield and walked to Mousehole, not very far and a decent downhill walk. Agree that it is a lovely place.

Good to hear how things are going in Kernow.

Interesting also to hear @LAIRA's experience. I have never even noticed the 235 although I have done the 236 between Liskeard and Launceston. If I do it I will allow plenty of time for lateness. Yes there certainly are cancellations and these are very annoying!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
I Had a day out yesterday, using a bus to enable an end to end walk in the Yorkshire Dales.

Started at Langcliffe, just north of Settle where I got the 75 which is a summer Saturday bus from Settle to Skipton via Malham, operated by Kirkby Lonsdale Coach Hire (KLCH).
Here is the timetable I lifted from the Dalesbus booklet/pdf
Capture.JPG

here is the bus in Langcliffe just before I boarded
IMG_0261_resize.jpg
Its YD63VKL an Optare Solo M780SE configured to B27F New to KLCH Jan 2014 (But its a 63 reg???)
NCTPS valid on this bus. But not on the Malham-Lancaster bus that runs summer Sundays.
4 on when I got on. Another lady got on at the same time as me

This route goes up a steep single track road to Malham Tarn car park. It goes to 446m(1463 ft) above sea level and includes 20% gradients.
But there are superb views out of the window including this (taken from the bus) of Ingleborough:-
IMG_0262_resize.jpg
And Pen-y-Ghent:
IMG_0265_resize.jpg
I got off at Malham Tarn car park. Here is the bus pulling away.
IMG_0266_resize.jpg
I set off to walk bac to Ribblesdale. This is a general shot of Malham Tarn. The bus dropped me near to the clump of trees obscuring the middle of the tarn. Just to show you how remote it is. It feels very remote in winter!

My walk back took me past Attermire Scar, which is stunning, even though I have been there many times. You could get the 75 or 881 to Winskill Stones and walk across to see this, then walk down to Settle. Get off the bus here - https://goo.gl/maps/RzRzPXdKtAidv3uUA (Link to google maps at where to get off the bus)

Here is a map of how to get from Winskill Stones (brown arrow) to Attermire Scar. From http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map?X=383582&Y=465280&A=Y&Z=120&ax=383432&ay=465940 (Link to image of map of the area)

Capture.JPG

Its a pity this bus isnt better used. Its a lovely ride and a good way to do one way walks. And if you are into going high on a bus its one to tick.

Nice friendly helpful driver BTW.

RELL6L

Great to see the report from the Yorkshire Dales including a very impressive walk! I think bus+walk is one of the great things that can be planned on these trips and its great to use the less frequent routes such as this. I managed a walk - albeit somewhat shorter - on my last trip - here's a report:

The weather has been hot in the south east and not always sunny but I saw early last week that Wednesday’s weather looked promising – sunny but not too hot – in Yorkshire. So I dug out a long-planned complex, long and ambitious trip entirely within the metropolitan county of West Yorkshire, starting in Arriva territory in the east but with a decent chunk of it in countryside around Halifax. I stayed near Doncaster on Tuesday evening, got all details sorted, relaxed and looked at this forum to find that Arriva Yorkshire were going on strike again with effect from 2am. So my day’s plan was ruined!

I did have an alternative trip based on Gainsborough and went to bed thinking I would do that, but woke up in the night and decided that no, I would stick with my planned trip as far as possible. Given impending changes it would not work as well after late July. I could head for Halifax differently, do the Calderdale countryside section two hours earlier than planned (two hours being important….), then find something else from another trip to add on later, perhaps finishing a little earlier than originally planned. The later part of the day would have to be planned as I went along….

So, instead of Pontefract, 7am saw me in Brighouse for a wander around the pleasant area alongside the River Calder, where a few people were now stirring from their parked narrowboats. First journey was on a 54-reg Volvo V7TL on the 363 (the early & late version of the X63) to Bradford. The previous journey was over 5 minutes late on this 15-minute frequency route but we still picked up quite a few passengers and we used the guided busway section in the middle of the road into Bradford. Arriving at Bradford interchange the departure boards showed all the Arriva services as cancelled, along with a handful of First services as well. At this time of the morning Bradford city centre was still pretty quiet but the fountains in Centenary Square had been turned on and some of the sandstone architecture in the city centre is really attractive. I also had a chance to grab some breakfast and buy things for lunch. I thought I would see several of the new Bradford Streetdecks but I only saw a couple, most are out on the Leeds routes.

I had intended to catch the First 576 to Halifax at 8.36 but this showed as cancelled so I went for the earlier one at 8.21. This was another 54-reg Volvo B7TL still giving stalwart service. Many First services in the area have been cut back from 6 buses an hour to 5 and now 4, including the X63, 576 and 503, so it is poor when even despite this boards are missing. The bus was quite busy with passengers boarding and alighting throughout with more on board as we headed into Halifax. This is a scenic route as it ascends all the way to Queensbury then has great views on the right approaching Halifax, where it is one of the few routes still using the bus station. The board after ours appeared to be missing all day, which is odd, it can’t be a single driver missing in those circumstances!

I had some time at Halifax as, although I had been before, I wanted to look round Piece Hall which had not been completed when I last came. Piece Hall is a former cloth market which has now been turned into area for shopping, restaurants and events. It wasn’t open when I first arrived there but it was open by 9.30 and I did have a look around. They were preparing for an event so there was cranes, workmen and noise in the middle - hence no photo -but still plenty of activity round the edges. I could have gone on a bus round trip somewhere in the town as I had over an hour here but decided against. However I did not intend to go directly to my next destination of Wainstalls. The Team Pennine 514 runs directly there but arrives at the wrong part of the hour for my plan, while the indirect 524 runs via some back roads in the north west of the town. So I took a First 512 clockwise from stand 7 in King Edward Street – rather confusingly the anti-clockwise 512 runs from the same stop five minutes later. This 512 took me out of town along Pellon Lane and Mount Tabor which I had reckoned would be more scenic. I think I was right as there were some great views from this road. This was a Volvo B7RLE and surprisingly many people boarded quite early in this journey to travel round part of the circuit. I alighted at Mixenden, crossed the road and had 9 minutes to wait for the completely empty Solo on Team Pennine 524 to Wainstalls. This changes in a week or so, with the clockwise 512 being renumbered 511 or 513, each hourly, the 513 diverting via Wainstalls to provide the only regular service there. The 513 will miss out Balkram Drive in Mixenden so it retains an even frequency on the rest of the route, meaning that this small estate will have two buses per hour anti-clockwise and one per hour clockwise. At the same time Team Pennine will lose their 514 and 524 to Wainstalls, while gaining the 587 to Rochdale. Yes it’s confusing at the moment but the locals seem to know which 512 they want. This change will make it less attractive to do what I wanted to do, hence my enthusiasm to carry on with this planned trip.

And what I wanted to do from Wainstalls was to walk to Booth. This is about a mile walk, mostly downhill. To do this in a relaxed way I needed 45 minutes or so, under the new timetable the only options are 14 minutes or 74 minutes. There’s not much at Wainstalls, not unattractive but a couple of factories rather than picturesque cottages, but the walk to Booth was stunning. The scenery was a mix of wonderful shades of green with a few houses and lots of hills and valleys. The walk descends steeply much of the way down to the Luddenden Brook then climbs steeply for a much shorter distance into Booth. Absolutely fantastic – I thoroughly recommend it. Booth is a small village accessed by bus from the other direction, there’s not that here either apart from a few houses and a bus turning area but there were three other passengers waiting here by the time the Solo on the Team Pennine 574 arrived. This bus was still in Yorkshire Tiger orange colours, somewhat battered, with a logo saying ‘Team Pennine will make me better’. There were two others on the bus as well, they got off at Midgley, another ‘dead end’ served by the hourly 574, and more passengers boarded in the estate at Luddenden Foot. This was also scenic and I stayed aboard to Sowerby Bridge.

A quick visit to Sowerby Bridge as I had been here just over a year ago, I went down to the canal for a couple of photos and came back having just missed a 579, another route substantially reduced in recent months to just 3 buses per hour, but there was a 586 Volvo B7RLE not far behind to take me into Halifax including a small diversion round a road closure at King Cross. I alighted at the Bull Green stop just before the centre at Halifax.

So back in Halifax I had a few minutes to look quickly into Piece Hall again – now buzzing at lunchtime – and then head for the Team Pennine 562 from Horton Street. This was a new pink Mercedes Sprinter / Mellor Strata, the first time I had been on one of these. It seemed OK, there were a few passengers aboard but it appeared to have sufficient capacity. Slightly irritating each time the driver set off before the slow sliding door finished closing with an American voice drawing everyone’s attention to the matter. We waited time at the hospital and at West Vale. The journey I took went via Norland, only served on alternate journeys, hence the importance of being two hours ahead of the original plan. This section of road gives great views to the north over Sowerby Bridge to the hills beyond, another very scenic section. I alighted at Barkisland where I strolled around for about half an hour then took a South Pennine Community Transport E4 to Elland. This was a smaller minibus, not sure what, but similar to one I took from Penistone to Stockbridge earlier in the year. We arrived at Elland where the drivers changed and I had a few minutes here before taking another orange Team Pennine 563 Solo back to Brighouse. The 563 goes along Elland Upper Edge, from which road there are more attractive views to the north, before heading through suburban Rastrick into Brighouse. I’d not been to Rastrick before but I do remember the Brighouse and Rastrick brass band played a version of the Floral Dance which was a hit in the 1970s. I don’t recall visiting Brighouse before this day either except that I do remember getting a Metropolitan from Bradford to Huddersfield in the good old days and I presume this must have been on what is now the X63 and gone though Brighouse.

So I had returned to where I had left my car but my day wasn’t over. The next leg was to take the First 549 to Huddersfield. I had been recommended to take this route by @TheGrandWazoo, it is somewhat less direct than the main road X63 and it twists and turned back through Rastrick then Cowcliffe and some north western suburbs of Huddersfield. I wasn’t able to capture that it was scenic in the same way as the other routes as the best views were out over Huddersfield looking straight ahead (on the rare occasions the bus was travelling in the direction of its destination), but there were good views to the Castle Hill Tower the other side of Huddersfield. My steed was a Streetlite but my low expectations were not borne out on this occasion, this one seemed to be in pretty good shape and was not grossly rattly or underpowered and carried quite a few passengers.

This was the point at which my original plan had shifted back to Arriva, heading east to Wakefield, so I had to do something else. I had put together a couple of ideas during the day depending on how punctual buses had been and so far so good. From Huddersfield I decided to take the 324 south to Meltham, a route I had definitely never done before. The service was running with two double deckers and two single deckers and it was clearly already running late. My journey was on a Volvo B9TL, we left Huddersfield 8 minutes late and arrived at Meltham 14 minutes late, not helped by two sets of 3-way traffic lights, one right in the middle of Meltham. Later this bus was running 40 minutes late and the late evening peak service appears to have been substantially cut with nothing between 17.35 and 18.20 and then the 18.50 also cancelled. Once out of Huddersfield this journey was also quite scenic especially the country section south of Netherton. The town of Meltham was slightly chaotic with the roadworks right in the middle but not unpleasant.

Despite the delay I still had enough time before my next leg, the Stotts 335 to Slaithwaite. This was a Solo and was barely affected by the traffic in Meltham. Once out of town this was another attractive route through open country with distant views before descending into Slaithwaite. A couple of other passengers but none going this far. Slaithwaite is an attractive village alongside the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and has undoubtedly been somewhat gentrified in recent years. By this time there were people eating and drinking outside in pubs in the village centre. I had been here before in a great 2015 trip from Stockport stopping in the Huddersfield Narrow Canal villages on the 184 from Uppermill to Huddersfield.

I still had two legs to go, the next being another Stotts route, the 395 back to Huddersfield along the west side of the valley of the River Colne and canal. I was pleased that there were about 5 other passengers waiting at the village centre bus stop - but when the bus came they did not board it, presumably waiting for the 181 to Wilberlee. Again scenic in places as the 395 is forced some way up the hillside giving good views over mills – presumably former mills – in the valley. Another Solo and we were back in Huddersfield several minutes early, having carried no other passengers. The next X63 back to Brighouse was cancelled but the one after was on time, another Volvo B9TL, well patronised but uneventful and I finished back at Brighouse not long after 6pm, with another quick visit to the riverside area then back to my car and home.

So a good trip on a pleasant warm sunny day which included an excellent short walk in the morning. I was messed around by the Arriva strike but still able to do a fair chunk of what I originally intended and had added sections of route and places I would have planned to do on future trips. I ended up travelling for 11 hours instead of the originally intended 13 – which would have been tough - but still enough to make it worthwhile. I will leave the delights of Pontefract and Castleford for another time!

A1 Brighouse.JPG
Brighouse

A2 Bradford.JPG
Bradford

A3 Halifax.JPG
Halifax

A4 walking from Wainstalls to Booth.JPGWalking between Wainstalls and Booth

A5 walking from Wainstalls to Booth.JPG
Walking between Wainstalls and Booth

A6 Sowerby Bridge.JPG
Sowerby Bridge

A7 view from near Norland.JPG
View from between Norland and Barkisland

A8 view from between Elland and Rastrick.JPG
View from between Elland and Rastrick

A9 Meltham.JPG
Meltham

A10 Slaithwaite.JPG
Slaithwaite

route101

Established Member
Been a bit busy to document my trips but here is one from yesterday. No photos I'm afraid.

Started the day at Axminster Station where I caught the first X53 to Lyme Regis. The reason I started at Axminster was I only got as far as Lyme Regis from Weymouth on the X51.

First Wessex E400

Short but pleasant run down to Lyme Regis on a bog standard 12 plate E400. I got off at the Tesco and thought I just missed the Stagecoach 9a to Exeter. Lyme Regis is a pleasant town but very hilly.

Stagecoach 9a E400

Luckily I caught a late running 9A after checking the app, this saves me an hour wait and I did look around Lyme Regis few weeks back. It was a bog standard E400 with black seats. We made our way West to Seaton and then Sidmouth. The bus stopped at just about every stop on the route and was busy. We did have a wait at Sidmouth but we did arrive around 15 minutes late at Exeter Bus station. I believe the 9a is being discontinued next week so glad I got to sample the route.

I had a short break in Exeter and took the train to Okehampton to tick of this branch. At Okehampton I had an hour to kill and wanted to sample the 5A back to Exeter.

Stagecoach 5A E400

The 5A is not as frequent as the 6 and runs via Crediton. Another bog standard E400 which I feel compared to a Gemini have a poor ride and are sluggish. The ride was pleasant and featured a short jaunt via a sleepy Hatherleigh. The roads were fairly quiet and bus only picked up a few punters as we made our way back to Exeter. At Exeter bus station we arrived to find 3 buses in front queuing to get into the bus station, not enough capacity here. Next time I may try a loop around to Plymouth, I have never been that far West yet.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Lots to enjoy from @Ken H - I'm sad to admit that I'd probably not really consider using the bus for that sort of day out but maybe I'm just lazy. It's a beautiful area so thanks for sharing that with us. As a quick note, a 63 plate bus could've been registered between Sep 2013 and Feb 2014.

Thanks also to @route101 for their post about the routes in Devon. Never done the 9A (and won't do so now) but have done the other routes. It is a fantastic part of the world though sad that Stagecoach seem to be losing the plot in Devon. Service reliability and the cuts there are in stark contrast to the historic good work of the business down there.

Lastly, another fabulous set of photos from @RELL6L to compliment his travels. Even with an Arriva free constraint, he fitted a lot into that day. The western Pennine area of West Yorkshire is the most interesting and attractive but those photos of Booth could almost be in Swaledale. Slaithwaite looked gorgeous too - delightful. Mind you, shocked about the detail on the 579 - that was always a busy route though it got some of the more mature vehicles. First West Yorkshire don't seem to have much interest in Calderdale or Kirklees in terms of marketing and development nowadays.

*************************************************************************************************************

Apologies for this but it’s another trip out to the wilds of South Wales, inspired by a couple of comments from @Dai Corner and @Bristol LH. I do like the area and the people and last time, I did the more of the South East and that meant Stagecoach in the main. I did have a brief flirtation with First Cymru in Bridgend; I assume that validity of the multi-operator Network Rider in that area is a hangover from when it was National Welsh’s westernmost outpost? However, I really fancied a trip out to see more of an operator that I only sporadically get to travel on. So it was a trip across the Severn Bridge and having completed a chore that was the reason for travelling, I nipped off the M4 and into the pleasant and affluent town of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan. Having purchased my m-ticket, I waited for my X2 to Bridgend. Unfortunately, tracking of First Cymru services is a bit haphazard but I was pleased to see it arrive. It was an Optare Vecta with high backed seats that had gained the latest Cymru Clipper livery and had been on the CC network since new.

1658753379246.png
It was a pleasant place to be for the ride into Bridgend, with noticeably few rattles, passing through the Vale of Glamorgan. The interior was looking a little tired and dull and you’d think that a midlife retrim might be worthwhile but otherwise a decent machine. After passing via the Police HQ and the former Ford plant, we arrived ahead of time into Bridgend, giving me time to grab a breakfast sandwich and coffee, and prepare for my next journey. I noted a piece of A4 on the X2 stand mentioning a cancellation later in the day – very old school! Parked up was another Versa newly repainted into the smart red and maroon livery; the repaint programme feels very slow. My next bus was one of the many e200 that arrived in 2013/4, this being one of the longer wheelbase examples for a run up the Llynfi Valley towards Maesteg. First used to maintain a depot in that town but, indicative of the decline of services in the area, that has disappeared as services have been rationalised. Indeed, the local services have now been subsumed into the main Bridgend service reflecting a pattern across the UK. The e200 was a very average workforce and, like my recent trip to Aberdare, this valley shows more of the decline in shops and services in the area. The bus station has now reopened in Maesteg – it has just 7 departures an hour – and seems rather tragic. Arguably, it really could be replaced by on street stops. We paused only briefly before continuing up through Caerau (see photo) and the top of the valley before the clamber up and over the top and a descent into the top part of the Afan Valley – the decent loading of earlier was gone and I was the sole passenger though we did pick up one for the short run to Cymmer and the long standing interchange. The e200 didn’t hang around after depositing me and headed off – a trip empty to Port Talbot? Also noticeable were the poor bus stop facilities and faded bus stop flags with a number advertising the long lost RailLink to Maesteg as well as now superseded bus service numbers - apologies for the crap photo.
FCC13D1B-7184-4D57-B239-82F46134FC89.jpeg17EA2098-C509-4160-9E4E-2BDD10330FE0.jpeg
The interchange at Cymmer is well established and is complimented by another at Pontrhydyfen to provide links between the Llynfi, Afan and Neath Valleys and their communities. It is something I’ve seen when mountain biking but never done the bus routes until now. The 83 to Port Talbot is home to the older vehicles in the First fleet including some ex Bath Darts. However, mine was one of the remaining short native examples that must now be due for imminent withdrawal. It was quite scruffy inside as we rattled on the short journey to Pontrhydyfen where I could see my next vehicle already turning around. It would be from one of the older vehicles to one of the newer ones in a 2015 Streetlite with an orange (faded to peach) fronted one normally used on the Neath to Port Talbot route. The change now effected, it was a trip through the village (home of Richard Burton) and then the long double run to Tonmawr and then over the top to Cimla and dropping into Neath. Now many criticise Streetlites and then definitely have their limitations and faults – this was one of the worst examples I have experienced with rock hard ride, jerky transmission and the whole thing rattling. I was so pleased to get off after only 25 mins.

1658753319156.png1658752648323.png

Neath is a town that used to have several bus depots but hasn’t had one for many years. First’s Pontardawe depot closed a few years ago so it’s mainly Swansea and Port Talbot buses running in. The historic Victoria Gardens bus station is looking it’s age but is a nice location and I had time to grab a coffee and sit in the sun watching the fleets of SWT and First intermingling. Again, you had a few newly repainted First buses but most were in Olympia still. My next bus was the only decker of the day, with a former Lanarkshire Gemini. I went up top (naturally) where it was absolutely baking. This was a 2007 machine and the seats were ok for 15 years old but it could really do with a retrim though I accept that is unlikely at that age. And then we were off and a trip on the main 87 service to Port Talbot. It isn’t far between the two towns but the 87 is both remarkably slackly timed AND circuitous. What can be done in the car in 15 mins takes 44 on the bus – it is so slow and especially around Baglan and Sandfields. Again, I understand the incorporation of local routes into longer ones to save resources but here, it feels utterly counterproductive in making the bus seem slow and unattractive.

Eventually we arrived into Port Talbot, a town that surprisingly has two bus stations; I arrived at the older one that is attached to the shopping centre and was built in the late 1970s/early 1980s. It’s a bit of a gloomy place and like Maesteg, it’s clear how services have declined in recent years as it used to be a hive of activity. The small info point/inspectors hut has been long closed so there were notices on there dating from 2019! There was a poster (slightly hidden) for a new open top service to Aberavon, and you do wonder where the love/effort is with First Cymru. It could be so much better. Now in a rare move, as I don’t usually do any specific “bus bashing”, I took a trip to Aberavon on one of the few remaining ex Bath Solos that operate some of the local services; you really do think that the local routes need some TLC and stop routes like the 87 going on massive detours? Anyhow, my familiar Solo wasn’t in bad shape (though still in Barbie – don’t know if has ever been repainted) and we headed off though I dived off and returned back on another peach fronted Streetlite.
1658752713713.png1658752745147.png

I needed to head East so it was to the X1 to Bridgend. Last time I travelled on this route was on a former Eastern National TE type bodied Tiger in Brewers days! Instead of that, I had a former Manchester Eclipse though it has spent nearly all of its life in South Wales after a youthful reallocation. It clearly gained Cymru Clipper colours in 2013/4 and was refurbished in smart eLeather seats with golden dragons on the headrests. However, it’s clear that these Eclipses are now in their last years. We stopped off at Port Talbot Parkway and the other bus station - it looks like driver changes happen there AND the main old bus station with plenty of drivers sat in the sun. The ride was appalling, with many unknown clunks and clangs from the suspension. Perhaps some e200mmcs from the group could replace the Versas on the X2, and those can be cascaded onto the X1, might be a way to do it? I got off early in Pyle with a very tight connection for the 63 to Porthcawl. Only when it didn’t arrive did I check Twitter – it was cancelled through staff shortage! So I sat under a tree and waited. Eventually one did appear and it was one of the bus seated Versas though this was still in Olympia colours. We then made our way and, I began to realise, is that there is a lot of former council housing as we looped around Cornelly. Not scenic but thankfully quieter as we made our way to Porthcawl.

1658753063341.png1658753107051.png

Here I had the chance to have a break, having not really done so since Neath. In the summer sun, it was glorious with superb views across the Bristol Channel to North Devon and Exmoor. It was clearly very popular on such a day. I didn’t see the First open topper but assume it was making a reasonable return. I got an ice cream and wandered back from the Esplanade through the throng of people. As I got to John Street (the terminal), there were a couple of bus spotters. One was taking photos of a Stagecoach e200 from every conceivable angle before it would return to Aberdare. I was getting my final bus back – the X2 via Bridgend to Cowbridge and it duly arrived as an identical vehicle to the one that had taken me to Porthcawl. I got on and then the two spotters did likewise and sat in front of me. Sadly, and it’s one of many reasons why I don’t frequent bus events, but one of them had a particularly bad personal hygiene problem to the extent that I had to move to the other side of the bus. Not certain why it happens but it seems to. Evasive action taken, we headed off with a good load. We passed through Bridgend where a former Bath Barbie Dart was parked up in the bus station (another familiar vehicle that I’ve doubtless been on) alongside another bus seated Versa though one that had clearly just been repainted in red and maroon. They look so much better. We then headed out and I got back to Cowbridge in good time.

I do love the Welsh Valleys and whilst the Llynfi and Afan aren’t quite up there with other scenery to the East in my opinion, it was really interesting. It was also good to get a trip to the coast, and the Afan Valley interchanges and a trip to Porthcawl had been on my ‘to do list’ for a while. My overriding view of First Cymru was that it (like Stagecoach Wales) has a decent enough fleet but that investment is overdue.
1658753557510.png

The approach of Welsh Govt is possibly one reason but there’s a noticeable lack of attention to detail across the area from First Cymru and local authorities. However, I don’t believe FC is due any new fleet and is having to rely on cascades or judicious secondhand purchases – I think the newest fleet is now 16 plate? It’s a bit sad as they do some things well but it’s a lack of consistency really, like the new posters internally that appear in some fleet yet others have nothing.

I hope you’ve enjoyed the travelogue – I have an Eastern double header to share next.

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
No need to apologise @TheGrandWazoo . I always enjoy your reports and they give me ideas. I still have a lot of the Welsh bus network to cover.

I have nothing of PCV interest to report at the moment bar a Newport Transport Yutong on the X74 to Chepstow and an Applegates Neoplan coach on RR from there to Severn Tunnel Junction.

But here's a report from Roger Ford who has been to Neath to review the services he ran decades ago as Area Manager for South Wales Transport (the NBC version).

Ken H

On Moderation
Lots to enjoy from @Ken H - I'm sad to admit that I'd probably not really consider using the bus for that sort of day out but maybe I'm just lazy. It's a beautiful area so thanks for sharing that with us. As a quick note, a 63 plate bus could've been registered between Sep 2013 and Feb 2014.
I got the reg date from Bus Lists on the web. But you are right, a 63 could be the dates you say. Doh!

RELL6L

Thanks also to @route101 for their post about the routes in Devon. Never done the 9A (and won't do so now) but have done the other routes. It is a fantastic part of the world though sad that Stagecoach seem to be losing the plot in Devon. Service reliability and the cuts there are in stark contrast to the historic good work of the business down there.

Lastly, another fabulous set of photos from @RELL6L to compliment his travels. Even with an Arriva free constraint, he fitted a lot into that day. The western Pennine area of West Yorkshire is the most interesting and attractive but those photos of Booth could almost be in Swaledale. Slaithwaite looked gorgeous too - delightful. Mind you, shocked about the detail on the 579 - that was always a busy route though it got some of the more mature vehicles. First West Yorkshire don't seem to have much interest in Calderdale or Kirklees in terms of marketing and development nowadays.

*************************************************************************************************************

Apologies for this but it’s another trip out to the wilds of South Wales, inspired by a couple of comments from @Dai Corner and @Bristol LH. I do like the area and the people and last time, I did the more of the South East and that meant Stagecoach in the main. I did have a brief flirtation with First Cymru in Bridgend; I assume that validity of the multi-operator Network Rider in that area is a hangover from when it was National Welsh’s westernmost outpost? However, I really fancied a trip out to see more of an operator that I only sporadically get to travel on. So it was a trip across the Severn Bridge and having completed a chore that was the reason for travelling, I nipped off the M4 and into the pleasant and affluent town of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan. Having purchased my m-ticket, I waited for my X2 to Bridgend. Unfortunately, tracking of First Cymru services is a bit haphazard but I was pleased to see it arrive. It was an Optare Vecta with high backed seats that had gained the latest Cymru Clipper livery and had been on the CC network since new.

It was a pleasant place to be for the ride into Bridgend, with noticeably few rattles, passing through the Vale of Glamorgan. The interior was looking a little tired and dull and you’d think that a midlife retrim might be worthwhile but otherwise a decent machine. After passing via the Police HQ and the former Ford plant, we arrived ahead of time into Bridgend, giving me time to grab a breakfast sandwich and coffee, and prepare for my next journey. I noted a piece of A4 on the X2 stand mentioning a cancellation later in the day – very old school! Parked up was another Versa newly repainted into the smart red and maroon livery; the repaint programme feels very slow. My next bus was one of the many e200 that arrived in 2013/4, this being one of the longer wheelbase examples for a run up the Llynfi Valley towards Maesteg. First used to maintain a depot in that town but, indicative of the decline of services in the area, that has disappeared as services have been rationalised. Indeed, the local services have now been subsumed into the main Bridgend service reflecting a pattern across the UK. The e200 was a very average workforce and, like my recent trip to Aberdare, this valley shows more of the decline in shops and services in the area. The bus station has now reopened in Maesteg – it has just 7 departures an hour – and seems rather tragic. Arguably, it really could be replaced by on street stops. We paused only briefly before continuing up through Caerau (see photo) and the top of the valley before the clamber up and over the top and a descent into the top part of the Afan Valley – the decent loading of earlier was gone and I was the sole passenger though we did pick up one for the short run to Cymmer and the long standing interchange. The e200 didn’t hang around after depositing me and headed off – a trip empty to Port Talbot? Also noticeable were the poor bus stop facilities and faded bus stop flags with a number advertising the long lost RailLink to Maesteg as well as now superseded bus service numbers - apologies for the crap photo.

The interchange at Cymmer is well established and is complimented by another at Pontrhydyfen to provide links between the Llynfi, Afan and Neath Valleys and their communities. It is something I’ve seen when mountain biking but never done the bus routes until now. The 83 to Port Talbot is home to the older vehicles in the First fleet including some ex Bath Darts. However, mine was one of the remaining short native examples that must now be due for imminent withdrawal. It was quite scruffy inside as we rattled on the short journey to Pontrhydyfen where I could see my next vehicle already turning around. It would be from one of the older vehicles to one of the newer ones in a 2015 Streetlite with an orange (faded to peach) fronted one normally used on the Neath to Port Talbot route. The change now effected, it was a trip through the village (home of Richard Burton) and then the long double run to Tonmawr and then over the top to Cimla and dropping into Neath. Now many criticise Streetlites and then definitely have their limitations and faults – this was one of the worst examples I have experienced with rock hard ride, jerky transmission and the whole thing rattling. I was so pleased to get off after only 25 mins.

Neath is a town that used to have several bus depots but hasn’t had one for many years. First’s Pontardawe depot closed a few years ago so it’s mainly Swansea and Port Talbot buses running in. The historic Victoria Gardens bus station is looking it’s age but is a nice location and I had time to grab a coffee and sit in the sun watching the fleets of SWT and First intermingling. Again, you had a few newly repainted First buses but most were in Olympia still. My next bus was the only decker of the day, with a former Lanarkshire Gemini. I went up top (naturally) where it was absolutely baking. This was a 2007 machine and the seats were ok for 15 years old but it could really do with a retrim though I accept that is unlikely at that age. And then we were off and a trip on the main 87 service to Port Talbot. It isn’t far between the two towns but the 87 is both remarkably slackly timed AND circuitous. What can be done in the car in 15 mins takes 44 on the bus – it is so slow and especially around Baglan and Sandfields. Again, I understand the incorporation of local routes into longer ones to save resources but here, it feels utterly counterproductive in making the bus seem slow and unattractive.

Eventually we arrived into Port Talbot, a town that surprisingly has two bus stations; I arrived at the older one that is attached to the shopping centre and was built in the late 1970s/early 1980s. It’s a bit of a gloomy place and like Maesteg, it’s clear how services have declined in recent years as it used to be a hive of activity. The small info point/inspectors hut has been long closed so there were notices on there dating from 2019! There was a poster (slightly hidden) for a new open top service to Aberavon, and you do wonder where the love/effort is with First Cymru. It could be so much better. Now in a rare move, as I don’t usually do any specific “bus bashing”, I took a trip to Aberavon on one of the few remaining ex Bath Solos that operate some of the local services; you really do think that the local routes need some TLC and stop routes like the 87 going on massive detours? Anyhow, my familiar Solo wasn’t in bad shape (though still in Barbie – don’t know if has ever been repainted) and we headed off though I dived off and returned back on another peach fronted Streetlite.

I needed to head East so it was to the X1 to Bridgend. Last time I travelled on this route was on a former Eastern National TE type bodied Tiger in Brewers days! Instead of that, I had a former Manchester Eclipse though it has spent nearly all of its life in South Wales after a youthful reallocation. It clearly gained Cymru Clipper colours in 2013/4 and was refurbished in smart eLeather seats with golden dragons on the headrests. However, it’s clear that these Eclipses are now in their last years. We stopped off at Port Talbot Parkway and the other bus station - it looks like driver changes happen there AND the main old bus station with plenty of drivers sat in the sun. The ride was appalling, with many unknown clunks and clangs from the suspension. Perhaps some e200mmcs from the group could replace the Versas on the X2, and those can be cascaded onto the X1, might be a way to do it? I got off early in Pyle with a very tight connection for the 63 to Porthcawl. Only when it didn’t arrive did I check Twitter – it was cancelled through staff shortage! So I sat under a tree and waited. Eventually one did appear and it was one of the bus seated Versas though this was still in Olympia colours. We then made our way and, I began to realise, is that there is a lot of former council housing as we looped around Cornelly. Not scenic but thankfully quieter as we made our way to Porthcawl.

Here I had the chance to have a break, having not really done so since Neath. In the summer sun, it was glorious with superb views across the Bristol Channel to North Devon and Exmoor. It was clearly very popular on such a day. I didn’t see the First open topper but assume it was making a reasonable return. I got an ice cream and wandered back from the Esplanade through the throng of people. As I got to John Street (the terminal), there were a couple of bus spotters. One was taking photos of a Stagecoach e200 from every conceivable angle before it would return to Aberdare. I was getting my final bus back – the X2 via Bridgend to Cowbridge and it duly arrived as an identical vehicle to the one that had taken me to Porthcawl. I got on and then the two spotters did likewise and sat in front of me. Sadly, and it’s one of many reasons why I don’t frequent bus events, but one of them had a particularly bad personal hygiene problem to the extent that I had to move to the other side of the bus. Not certain why it happens but it seems to. Evasive action taken, we headed off with a good load. We passed through Bridgend where a former Bath Barbie Dart was parked up in the bus station (another familiar vehicle that I’ve doubtless been on) alongside another bus seated Versa though one that had clearly just been repainted in red and maroon. They look so much better. We then headed out and I got back to Cowbridge in good time.

I do love the Welsh Valleys and whilst the Llynfi and Afan aren’t quite up there with other scenery to the East in my opinion, it was really interesting. It was also good to get a trip to the coast, and the Afan Valley interchanges and a trip to Porthcawl had been on my ‘to do list’ for a while. My overriding view of First Cymru was that it (like Stagecoach Wales) has a decent enough fleet but that investment is overdue.

The approach of Welsh Govt is possibly one reason but there’s a noticeable lack of attention to detail across the area from First Cymru and local authorities. However, I don’t believe FC is due any new fleet and is having to rely on cascades or judicious secondhand purchases – I think the newest fleet is now 16 plate? It’s a bit sad as they do some things well but it’s a lack of consistency really, like the new posters internally that appear in some fleet yet others have nothing.

I hope you’ve enjoyed the travelogue – I have an Eastern double header to share next.

Thanks for your comments on my report - I thought rural Calderdale was really nice. I might have been in the same room when my wife was watching Last Tango in Halifax and thought the countryside looked good and with the help of google maps etc identified some areas where I wanted to go - I do feel I have now seen most of it. I agree it looks a bit like Swaledale but I'm not sure it had the same feeling, these were prosperous houses in the country and not genuine rural agricultural folk which I imagine still exist in Swaledale.

I enjoyed your report on the South Wales valley trip and agree with most of your thoughts. In 2018 I did much the same, starting in Aberkenfig (easy for the M4 and on the 70/71 routes) to Maesteg and Cymmer, then I went further up the valley to Glyncorrwg and back (more rural still), did the same changes as you in Pontrhydyfen and Pyle - but this was before journeys got cancelled! - to go to Porthcawl which I thought was a decent popular and somewhat under-rated resort town. Like you I then got the X2 through Bridgend to Cowbridge, heading on to Llantwit Major, back to Bridgend via the glorious coastal stretch and then to Aberkenfig. The Versas on the X2 were pretty new then and well presented but much of the rest of the fleet was tired - no doubt more so now. No signs of any deckers except on schools, surprised to hear of them on the 87. Looking forward to hearing about your Eastern trips...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
EASTERN ADVENTURES - DAY ONE

The first part of my Eastern excursion – basically I had two half workdays in succession and tried to shoehorn in a bit of travelling in my downtime. As always, I hope it is of interest.

I had travelled down the night before and stayed near Peterborough and did a little prep the night before. So it was an early start and a short drive to start the day at Orton Goldhay in the Western suburbs of the city. I confess I know little of Peterborough except that it grew massively during the 1970s and 1980s, and the various Ortons are evidence of that. It was also (with Darlington and Worcester) the recipient of a fair chunk of government funding in c.2003 to improve bus services. I’m not certain if either of those events explain the route of my first journey which was the frequent (was every 10, now every 15 mins) cross city service to Werrington via the centre. My first bus was a Stagecoach ADL e400, one of a large batch delivered in 2010 that seem to be the workhorses of Stagecoach’s local operations. It was still in beachball colours – noticeably few vehicles have had the new colours inflicted on them. We made our way through a raft of 70s and 80s housing developments but interestingly, it seems that there are a succession of bus only road sections. These split the developments up but allow the bus to pass through to form a defacto busway. You learn something new every day and it does show that whilst many of these trips may feature renowned and iconic journeys of sweeping scenery, there’s some interest to be had on even a local run. That said, the bus stop flags were faded, the bus shelters grubby and, dare I say, the Stagecoach fleet was also looking decidedly faded. This was part of their Citi networks but I’d say the lustre has gone and I really do fear for Stagecoach if they don’t get a grip on the basics.

1659045045546.png
Talking of lost lustre, we arrived into Queensgate bus station. This has recently reopened after a closure to enable contractors to access the adjoining shopping centre. However, no work has been done on the bus station in many a year – depressing and down at heel. The bus station has been partially closed for two years yet nothing has been done to smarten that up – it’s a dump and what I suspect (can’t remember) was the enquiry office is boarded up. Aside from the excellent Delaine Buses, most other services are Stagecoach with another notable exception – First’s Excel service to Norwich. I had a trip on some of their 2020 deckers last year (in Norfolk) and so was looking forward to a fun trip across the Fens. The other thing was the price – a 45 min journey to Wisbech was £4 single which I think is pretty good value. These are good machines – great spec, great seats, look superb, have wifi and USBs, next stop announcements etc – however, as I noted before, the build quality really lets things down. These should be superb but they squeak and creak and it’s something I’ve noticed on e400city vehicles in Bristol too; is it particular to this design more than the standard mmc? Still, we made good time until we encountered a tractor that decided they would not pull over and we followed for mile upon mile until they turned off near Guyhirn with probably a good miles’ worth of tailback behind them! We soon arrived into Wisbech bus station – another depressing place to wait for a bus. There’s a small shelter there but no bus timetables….until you look into a dark corner in the opposite direction on the entrance to the car park and notice a digital display with the next buses listed. Really odd. I went off to explore; Wisbech is a typical East Anglian town. Full of fine buildings and history, yet also poverty and a general low ebb.

1659045122097.png1659045194216.png

With a takeaway Costa, I headed back to get my next machine to March. This is now operated by Stagecoach’s East Midlands (not East) opco after the Long Sutton outstation was put under the control of Skegness depot. They have a fixed allocation and one of the former Connect 6 e400 vehicles, still in a purple version of beachball, duly arrived. The loadings don’t require deckers but it’s worked between schools. Whether they are particularly unruly kids, I don’t know but it was a mess upstairs and more evidence of a slipping of standards. It was filthy, and not just from that morning. We made our way to March arriving on time. However, there were some nasty traffic lights (it’s that time of year) which were beginning to cause congestion in the town centre and my next bus was delayed as a result. I didn't have long in March but was surprised that it has a canal that runs through the town centre. Don't know how I missed that but then again, it's another Cambridgeshire town that's attractive yet not enough to really want to spend time in. Back to Stagecoach East, and on the route from St Ives that I’ve not done before; been to March from Huntingdon on a flying Dart in 2017 (see later) but this was more quality. It was a 2012 Eclipse, cascaded from the Busway routes. Even more impressive, the air conditioning was still working. To be honest, it was a bit of overkill with air con and leather seats being enjoyed by just three passengers on leaving March and we lost one of those quite soon, though things picked up as we passed through Chatteris and Warboys. A sedate trip across the Fens was to be had.

1659045271053.png1659045419920.png
We reached St Ives bang on time, and I walked into the bus station expecting to get the 904 to Peterborough. However, I was immediately joined by a Busway B, and it was one of the massive B8R/e400XLBs. I had the huge, rather dull, top deck to myself as we manoeuvred out of the town towards RAF Wyton. This was better than my e400city in terms of build quality. Good seats and USBs but the interior just seemed so boring and bereft of colour. It was decent run to Huntingdon and my fourth woeful bus station of the day and a chance to show how lacklustre is the marketing of these machines - Busway logo but nothing to really grab you as to where it goes, frequency, facilities. It's just so bland on what are impressive machines.

1659045871334.png
Thankfully, it was a brief stop in the time warp of Huntingdon bus station with another, newer, Eclipse to take me to Peterborough. Unfortunately, there was severe traffic congestion near the train station but as it involves a double run to Hinchinbrooke, we had to endure it twice so it was no surprise that we were 10 minutes late by the time we reached Sawtry and we never clawed it back and arrived back into Peterborough with a healthy load. With plentiful adverts in the bus station and Queensgate shopping centre from McCain to recruit staff for their Whittlesey factory, it seemed like a good idea to check out that town.

I was wrong but no reflection on the town itself. Our steed was the sole remaining Dart allocated to Peterborough; one that had been reactivated from reserve. It was in fine condition with the seating looking like it had been refurbished last week. The adverts inside related to its former home in Fenstanton and, on checking, it transpired it was the self same Dart that had taken me at high speed across the Fens from Wyton to March about 5 years ago! It was still in very good fettle as we sped out of the city and towards Whittlesey. I could see the chimneys of the sole remaining brickworks, and the wind turbines that provide the electricity for the McCain factory. Then I could begin the smell the factory. Not unpleasant but just a slightly stale whiff…and then we stopped. Major road works meant we ground to a halt. I think it took 3 or 4 changes of the lights before we got through so from being on time, we gained an extra 10 mins on what is only a 26 minute run.
1659045530858.png1659045623662.png

Eventually we arrived at Whittlesey and the grandly titled Bus Interchange. As a connoisseur of naff bus stations, this is up there with the best. Essentially a layby with two bays yet only one is used. The only routes are the Peterborough to Whittlesey services that then run on to either March or Ramsey so not sure who interchanges! My Dart was on a short working so I knew it would do a loop of the town and I’d see it in about 5 mins – still enough time for a brisk walk into the market place. The Dart duly arrived and we headed off late, losing more time as we crawled back through the roadworks and then back to Peterborough nearly 20 mins late. In a time of massive operational challenges, this is just another that Stagecoach could do without. I had time to nip to the awful toilets in Peterborough bus station and then watched some Delaine fitters try to bring a dead B9 back to life, even if there was some unholy butt crack on show. It was then a last bus of the day, back to reclaim the car, and it was another e400 to finish with.

Hope you enjoyed the read and the photos. All in all, I found it an underwhelming experience. Peterborough's buses used to be corporate but with energy and pride. Just don't see that now. Whilst the country services were perhaps less lucrative, you really did feel they made the effort. Not so certain now. It's all a bit tired, and that is especially so when measured against First's Excel or the Delaine operations. With some TLC, they could re-energise some of the routes; the cross city 1 has the potential to be improved with better bus shelters and decent marketing. I don't know what's happened but it's sadly a bit tired there now - rather like all the bus stations I visited.

1659045822716.png

RELL6L

EASTERN ADVENTURES - DAY ONE

The first part of my Eastern excursion – basically I had two half workdays in succession and tried to shoehorn in a bit of travelling in my downtime. As always, I hope it is of interest.

I had travelled down the night before and stayed near Peterborough and did a little prep the night before. So it was an early start and a short drive to start the day at Orton Goldhay in the Western suburbs of the city. I confess I know little of Peterborough except that it grew massively during the 1970s and 1980s, and the various Ortons are evidence of that. It was also (with Darlington and Worcester) the recipient of a fair chunk of government funding in c.2003 to improve bus services. I’m not certain if either of those events explain the route of my first journey which was the frequent (was every 10, now every 15 mins) cross city service to Werrington via the centre. My first bus was a Stagecoach ADL e400, one of a large batch delivered in 2010 that seem to be the workhorses of Stagecoach’s local operations. It was still in beachball colours – noticeably few vehicles have had the new colours inflicted on them. We made our way through a raft of 70s and 80s housing developments but interestingly, it seems that there are a succession of bus only road sections. These split the developments up but allow the bus to pass through to form a defacto busway. You learn something new every day and it does show that whilst many of these trips may feature renowned and iconic journeys of sweeping scenery, there’s some interest to be had on even a local run. That said, the bus stop flags were faded, the bus shelters grubby and, dare I say, the Stagecoach fleet was also looking decidedly faded. This was part of their Citi networks but I’d say the lustre has gone and I really do fear for Stagecoach if they don’t get a grip on the basics.

Talking of lost lustre, we arrived into Queensgate bus station. This has recently reopened after a closure to enable contractors to access the adjoining shopping centre. However, no work has been done on the bus station in many a year – depressing and down at heel. The bus station has been partially closed for two years yet nothing has been done to smarten that up – it’s a dump and what I suspect (can’t remember) was the enquiry office is boarded up. Aside from the excellent Delaine Buses, most other services are Stagecoach with another notable exception – First’s Excel service to Norwich. I had a trip on some of their 2020 deckers last year (in Norfolk) and so was looking forward to a fun trip across the Fens. The other thing was the price – a 45 min journey to Wisbech was £4 single which I think is pretty good value. These are good machines – great spec, great seats, look superb, have wifi and USBs, next stop announcements etc – however, as I noted before, the build quality really lets things down. These should be superb but they squeak and creak and it’s something I’ve noticed on e400city vehicles in Bristol too; is it particular to this design more than the standard mmc? Still, we made good time until we encountered a tractor that decided they would not pull over and we followed for mile upon mile until they turned off near Guyhirn with probably a good miles’ worth of tailback behind them! We soon arrived into Wisbech bus station – another depressing place to wait for a bus. There’s a small shelter there but no bus timetables….until you look into a dark corner in the opposite direction on the entrance to the car park and notice a digital display with the next buses listed. Really odd. I went off to explore; Wisbech is a typical East Anglian town. Full of fine buildings and history, yet also poverty and a general low ebb.

With a takeaway Costa, I headed back to get my next machine to March. This is now operated by Stagecoach’s East Midlands (not East) opco after the Long Sutton outstation was put under the control of Skegness depot. They have a fixed allocation and one of the former Connect 6 e400 vehicles, still in a purple version of beachball, duly arrived. The loadings don’t require deckers but it’s worked between schools. Whether they are particularly unruly kids, I don’t know but it was a mess upstairs and more evidence of a slipping of standards. It was filthy, and not just from that morning. We made our way to March arriving on time. However, there were some nasty traffic lights (it’s that time of year) which were beginning to cause congestion in the town centre and my next bus was delayed as a result. I didn't have long in March but was surprised that it has a canal that runs through the town centre. Don't know how I missed that but then again, it's another Cambridgeshire town that's attractive yet not enough to really want to spend time in. Back to Stagecoach East, and on the route from St Ives that I’ve not done before; been to March from Huntingdon on a flying Dart in 2017 (see later) but this was more quality. It was a 2012 Eclipse, cascaded from the Busway routes. Even more impressive, the air conditioning was still working. To be honest, it was a bit of overkill with air con and leather seats being enjoyed by just three passengers on leaving March and we lost one of those quite soon, though things picked up as we passed through Chatteris and Warboys. A sedate trip across the Fens was to be had.

We reached St Ives bang on time, and I walked into the bus station expecting to get the 904 to Peterborough. However, I was immediately joined by a Busway B, and it was one of the massive B8R/e400XLBs. I had the huge, rather dull, top deck to myself as we manoeuvred out of the town towards RAF Wyton. This was better than my e400city in terms of build quality. Good seats and USBs but the interior just seemed so boring and bereft of colour. It was decent run to Huntingdon and my fourth woeful bus station of the day and a chance to show how lacklustre is the marketing of these machines - Busway logo but nothing to really grab you as to where it goes, frequency, facilities. It's just so bland on what are impressive machines.

Thankfully, it was a brief stop in the time warp of Huntingdon bus station with another, newer, Eclipse to take me to Peterborough. Unfortunately, there was severe traffic congestion near the train station but as it involves a double run to Hinchinbrooke, we had to endure it twice so it was no surprise that we were 10 minutes late by the time we reached Sawtry and we never clawed it back and arrived back into Peterborough with a healthy load. With plentiful adverts in the bus station and Queensgate shopping centre from McCain to recruit staff for their Whittlesey factory, it seemed like a good idea to check out that town.

I was wrong but no reflection on the town itself. Our steed was the sole remaining Dart allocated to Peterborough; one that had been reactivated from reserve. It was in fine condition with the seating looking like it had been refurbished last week. The adverts inside related to its former home in Fenstanton and, on checking, it transpired it was the self same Dart that had taken me at high speed across the Fens from Wyton to March about 5 years ago! It was still in very good fettle as we sped out of the city and towards Whittlesey. I could see the chimneys of the sole remaining brickworks, and the wind turbines that provide the electricity for the McCain factory. Then I could begin the smell the factory. Not unpleasant but just a slightly stale whiff…and then we stopped. Major road works meant we ground to a halt. I think it took 3 or 4 changes of the lights before we got through so from being on time, we gained an extra 10 mins on what is only a 26 minute run.

Eventually we arrived at Whittlesey and the grandly titled Bus Interchange. As a connoisseur of naff bus stations, this is up there with the best. Essentially a layby with two bays yet only one is used. The only routes are the Peterborough to Whittlesey services that then run on to either March or Ramsey so not sure who interchanges! My Dart was on a short working so I knew it would do a loop of the town and I’d see it in about 5 mins – still enough time for a brisk walk into the market place. The Dart duly arrived and we headed off late, losing more time as we crawled back through the roadworks and then back to Peterborough nearly 20 mins late. In a time of massive operational challenges, this is just another that Stagecoach could do without. I had time to nip to the awful toilets in Peterborough bus station and then watched some Delaine fitters try to bring a dead B9 back to life, even if there was some unholy butt crack on show. It was then a last bus of the day, back to reclaim the car, and it was another e400 to finish with.

Hope you enjoyed the read and the photos. All in all, I found it an underwhelming experience. Peterborough's buses used to be corporate but with energy and pride. Just don't see that now. Whilst the country services were perhaps less lucrative, you really did feel they made the effort. Not so certain now. It's all a bit tired, and that is especially so when measured against First's Excel or the Delaine operations. With some TLC, they could re-energise some of the routes; the cross city 1 has the potential to be improved with better bus shelters and decent marketing. I don't know what's happened but it's sadly a bit tired there now - rather like all the bus stations I visited.

Interesting report from Fenland.

I did a fairly similar trip in 2018 and posted about this as an 'archive' trip on post 213 on this thread:

This includes a handful of photos of what some of your places should be like on a better day, notably Wisbech, March and Peterborough. I know Wisbech is slightly 'rough' but actually it is really attractive architecturally and with the river through it. March is OK and even Peterborough round the cathedral is good. Huntingdon and St Ives also nice by the river. I agree that the bus stations in this area are pretty bad. Whittlesey isn't really a bus station (or interchange), its just something to call where they've put the bus stop. I don't think there ever were any more services really. I also did Chatteris to St Ives, part of your V2 trip (extended to March - the town - since I did it) in March - the month - this year.

It really does look as if Stagecoach are losing the plot at the moment. There's not been much investment, fewer new vehicles, a lack of care and attention and possibly less local input into some of the basics while losing all innovation - at which they have been the best of the big companies for many years. And generally they seem to be about the worst in terms of driver shortages in certain areas, East is bad, West and South West are terrible, East Midlands pretty poor. Have they lost focus during the takeovers? Or just underpaying staff? They appear to be resourcing the Commonwealth Games at huge cost to the bread and butter of the local networks - some won't survive for long at this rate. Needs a lot to put right in my view. I hope to get out and about again soon but would be very cautious about a trip with much Stagecoach involvement as they seem so unreliable.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
This includes a handful of photos of what some of your places should be like on a better day, notably Wisbech, March and Peterborough. I know Wisbech is slightly 'rough' but actually it is really attractive architecturally and with the river through it. March is OK and even Peterborough round the cathedral is good. Huntingdon and St Ives also nice by the river. I agree that the bus stations in this area are pretty bad. Whittlesey isn't really a bus station (or interchange), its just something to call where they've put the bus stop. I don't think there ever were any more services really. I also did Chatteris to St Ives, part of your V2 trip (extended to March - the town - since I did it) in March - the month - this year.
I think we're in violent agreement. The actual fabric of these East Anglian towns - the architecture, the rivers/canals, and other items of interest (the March Fountain) are really pleasing on the eye. It's just that they've suffered a period of neglect and there are clearly issues with anti-social behaviour and poverty. There's a lot of talk of levelling up in the North but in the East, it seems there are massive inequalities...but then again, you didn't come here for a lecture on socialism ;)

It really does look as if Stagecoach are losing the plot at the moment. There's not been much investment, fewer new vehicles, a lack of care and attention and possibly less local input into some of the basics while losing all innovation - at which they have been the best of the big companies for many years. And generally they seem to be about the worst in terms of driver shortages in certain areas, East is bad, West and South West are terrible, East Midlands pretty poor. Have they lost focus during the takeovers? Or just underpaying staff? They appear to be resourcing the Commonwealth Games at huge cost to the bread and butter of the local networks - some won't survive for long at this rate. Needs a lot to put right in my view. I hope to get out and about again soon but would be very cautious about a trip with much Stagecoach involvement as they seem so unreliable.
Sadly, you're spot on. There are areas where irrevocable harm is being caused. Just looking at the 94 in Gloucester - three buses tracking of which one is in Gloucester city centre, one in Montpellier and one in central Cheltenham - I reckon that's 1/3 of what should be there. The 10 is equally as bad if not worse.

However, even aside from Commonwealth Games work, the situation is dire. One thing you could generally say about Stagecoach was that the nuts and bolts of the operations were generally ok - boring for the rivet counters but consistent. That's not the case and hasn't been for a while and they really need to get back to basics.

geoffk

Established Member
I had a trip on Stagecoach's Falcon service from Exeter to Bristol and back on Tuesday. This is a coach service so no concessionary travel but you get one third off the fare with ENCTS pass and this discount is also offered to under-25s. It's been commented on elsewhere that drivers used to change over at Bristol Airport but each of my trips had one driver, both based in Plymouth. Timekeeping was good both ways and on the northbound journey (only) the driver announced the stopping places, all of which are out of town apart from the two termini. This means a lot of passengers are dropped off and collected by car. In both directions the majority of passengers were to and from Bristol Airport. Some of those travelling to/from Bristol will have had Megabus tickets.

I don't know whether Stagecoach is better off for drivers in Plymouth than in Exeter or whether Falcon drivers have a higher rate of pay, meaning no cancellations. Anyone know?

route101

Established Member
I had a trip on Stagecoach's Falcon service from Exeter to Bristol and back on Tuesday. This is a coach service so no concessionary travel but you get one third off the fare with ENCTS pass and this discount is also offered to under-25s. It's been commented on elsewhere that drivers used to change over at Bristol Airport but each of my trips had one driver, both based in Plymouth. Timekeeping was good both ways and on the northbound journey (only) the driver announced the stopping places, all of which are out of town apart from the two termini. This means a lot of passengers are dropped off and collected by car. In both directions the majority of passengers were to and from Bristol Airport. Some of those travelling to/from Bristol will have had Megabus tickets.

I don't know whether Stagecoach is better off for drivers in Plymouth than in Exeter or whether Falcon drivers have a higher rate of pay, meaning no cancellations. Anyone know?
I am planning to try the Falcon soon, I was looking at the Megabus tickets and they only appear to be offered at certain times, usually in the evenings when I don't want to travel on the Falcon.

Yesterday I decided to try some of Stagecoach routes in North Hampshire and Surrey using a Gold Dayrider

13 Basingstoke to Alton

I haven't been to Basingstoke in a while and its certainly Stagecoach country. As it was early Sainsburys and Tesco were closed and had to make do with a tatty and disorganised Londis for a drink. The Bus station is located adjacent to the shopping centre.

As per usual now the bus pulled in at our departure time. Our steed was a 2009 E300 with the low back seats, one of the most uncomfortable buses around. This route takes us initially on the A30 which I find interesting as this would of been the main road before the M3 was built. We passed through Hook ( Was there a Camberley to Basingstoke bus in the past?) before heading South. We called into RAF Odiham before arriving into Alton which I have been once before on the 64 from Winchester.

23 Alton to Haslemere

The same bus from 13 runs through to Haslemere, I asked the driver as this wasn't obvious from the timetables. This was a pleasant run, though I did get confused where we were at Bordon as we appeared to a loop. At Haslemere I got off at the last stop and noticed we were now in Surrey, hard to tell around here where boundaries come and go.

71 Haslemere to Guildford

After a short break I decided to take the 71 up to Guildford as I had taken the 70 before. The 71 takes a more easterly route. Our steed was a E200 but was slightly more comfortable. We called into Guildford South Park and Ride before terminated at the early 80s Friary Bus Station.

Kite Guildford to Aldershot

I decided to make a dash to take the next Kite service. This was the first double decker of my trip (ALX 400). This route was not the most interesting but this is new territory for me. This area of Hampshire and Surrey is a bit of a hinterland, feels closer to London in feel ( Well it is).

1 Aldershot to Camberley

Aldershot seem a bit down at heel. The bus station still had its National Express bus stop flag, route long gone I imagine. The service was 15 minutes late and we left just before the next number 1. It was a newer 66 plate E400mmc though still tatty. Took around an hour to get to Camberley which is back across the border in Surrey, hard to tell around here!

35 Camberley to Guildford

Decided to take the next 35 back to Guildford which was another late runner. The 35 runs via Woking which I have only passed through on the train. Another E200 was our steed. Most people got off at Woking.

63 Guildford to Horsham

The next 63 was a no show and showed as cancelled on the app, so I took a break in Guildford. I was thinking of heading to Epsom and then down to Crawley but it was getting late,
The next 63 did turn up and was yet another E200. This was a pleasant run through typically English Countryside via Cranleigh. Upon arrival at the small yet modern Horsham Bus station I took the next bus up to to Railway station which was a Metrobus E200.

Perhaps next time I will do the Metrobus network to the North and Northwest of Horsham/ Crawley.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I am planning to try the Falcon soon, I was looking at the Megabus tickets and they only appear to be offered at certain times, usually in the evenings when I don't want to travel on the Falcon.

Yesterday I decided to try some of Stagecoach routes in North Hampshire and Surrey using a Gold Dayrider

13 Basingstoke to Alton

I haven't been to Basingstoke in a while and its certainly Stagecoach country. As it was early Sainsburys and Tesco were closed and had to make do with a tatty and disorganised Londis for a drink. The Bus station is located adjacent to the shopping centre.

As per usual now the bus pulled in at our departure time. Our steed was a 2009 E300 with the low back seats, one of the most uncomfortable buses around. This route takes us initially on the A30 which I find interesting as this would of been the main road before the M3 was built. We passed through Hook ( Was there a Camberley to Basingstoke bus in the past?) before heading South. We called into RAF Odiham before arriving into Alton which I have been once before on the 64 from Winchester.

23 Alton to Haslemere

The same bus from 13 runs through to Haslemere, I asked the driver as this wasn't obvious from the timetables. This was a pleasant run, though I did get confused where we were at Bordon as we appeared to a loop. At Haslemere I got off at the last stop and noticed we were now in Surrey, hard to tell around here where boundaries come and go.

71 Haslemere to Guildford

After a short break I decided to take the 71 up to Guildford as I had taken the 70 before. The 71 takes a more easterly route. Our steed was a E200 but was slightly more comfortable. We called into Guildford South Park and Ride before terminated at the early 80s Friary Bus Station.

Kite Guildford to Aldershot

I decided to make a dash to take the next Kite service. This was the first double decker of my trip (ALX 400). This route was not the most interesting but this is new territory for me. This area of Hampshire and Surrey is a bit of a hinterland, feels closer to London in feel ( Well it is).

1 Aldershot to Camberley

Aldershot seem a bit down at heel. The bus station still had its National Express bus stop flag, route long gone I imagine. The service was 15 minutes late and we left just before the next number 1. It was a newer 66 plate E400mmc though still tatty. Took around an hour to get to Camberley which is back across the border in Surrey, hard to tell around here!

35 Camberley to Guildford

Decided to take the next 35 back to Guildford which was another late runner. The 35 runs via Woking which I have only passed through on the train. Another E200 was our steed. Most people got off at Woking.

63 Guildford to Horsham

The next 63 was a no show and showed as cancelled on the app, so I took a break in Guildford. I was thinking of heading to Epsom and then down to Crawley but it was getting late,
The next 63 did turn up and was yet another E200. This was a pleasant run through typically English Countryside via Cranleigh. Upon arrival at the small yet modern Horsham Bus station I took the next bus up to to Railway station which was a Metrobus E200.

Perhaps next time I will do the Metrobus network to the North and Northwest of Horsham/ Crawley.
Thank you for that travelogue around the North Hampshire/Surrey hinterland. Not an area I know well though I did have a trip round there during the last knockings of Arriva Guildford in December as well as some Stagecoach services. Indeed, some of your trip was very similar in that I did the 13 from Alton to Haslemere, the 19 to Aldershot, followed by the 1 to Camberley and then the 34 (rather than the 35). The 13/23 is a very strange route, looping around, though not unpleasant.

Metrobus is on my "to do list". I look forward to hearing about that one on your next trip out.

Thanks again.

ps Aldershot bus station is rather tired and unloved but is apparently due to be redeveloped with flats on site and a new terminus outside the train station, similar to Farnborough.

*** EAST ANGLIA - DAY TWO ***

Following on from my Peterborough/Fenland excursion, I decided to sample the delights of First Eastern Counties. Essentially, I'm in the area once a year so try to take the time to explore this area that is a bit of a mystery to me. I hope you enjoy the buses, places, and most of the people, in this report.

After a late start to the day, I drove to the lovely town of Wymondham between Thetford and Norwich. It's a vibrant little place, quite affluent, and is served by FEC as well as KonectBus. I arrived to check the next departure and saw the 13 wasn't tracking so assumed I'd missed it, only for it to pass me as I walked from my stop into the market place. Never mind, it gave me time to explore and get a drink etc. My first bus duly arrived and I boarded.

Sadly, something then happened that I assume has happened to others at times, and seems to be becoming more frequent. I hadn't seen as I snapped the ex Leeds B9 that one passenger on the top deck (bald man in his early 60s) was showing his disapproval with a hand signal - I've obscured his face in deference. As I entered the top deck, he decided to advise me that I needed his permission to take his photo. I said I wasn't snapping him and it's a public place. He demanded my name - I told him and asked him his... silence. Then he said I had an attitude, to which I reminded him that he'd started this (and I didn't know about flipping the bird at this time). I sit down and start reading some stuff on my phone. About 5 mins later, he decides to move from the front seat nearer to mine so he can take my photo. I smile inanely with a double thumbs up. He says "it's a public place" - I say "it's fine, I'm not bothered" at which he calls me a (rhymes with hunt). I respond asking him why he thinks I would want his photo - silence. I remark (as I'm now annoyed) "if I was gonna take your photo, I'd have waited for you to comb your hair" - he says "you're funny" and sits down. Perhaps I should've just ignored him but this challenging people with a camera... is it more prevalent or is it just me? I was a bit tired from a night on the beers previously otherwise I might have been more inclined to ignore. I did wonder if the c-bomb might have indicated it is someone I've upset on this forum before :D but it's not something I'd say in mixed company! Some people :rolleyes:

Now onto the trip. As I say, it's an ex Leeds B9, which has been there for nearly 6 years. Yet it still has internal adverts that were doubtless applied when nearly new. Why isn't this sorted when they arrive - external fleetname, legal lettering, and purge anything on the inside? The B9s are sound machines and these cascades plus some native 2011 examples are workhorses of the Norwich operations.

1659646217036.png4C192901-794C-428E-9896-0B1075ABF147.jpeg

We arrived into Norwich where the main street is closed whilst improvements are being made. References to Alan Partridge and the pedestrianisation of the city centre spring to mind. I got off just near the bus station and made my way round to the entrance. The bus station is ok, and it has a travel office run by KonectBus though it had leaflets for the Coastlink services of FEC. These are operated (mainly) by e400s cascaded from the Excel in 2020 and with a smart livery. I travelled on this last year on the anti clockwise Norwich - Lowestoft - Yarmouth - Norwich loop so decided to head to GY. Now, most people are a bit sniffy on e400s but these are really decent vehicles. Superb seating, a little scuffed from hard work but very good machines, and the internal and external marketing is excellent. FEC do a lot of stuff quite well in my limited experience. We left the city and soon were bounding along the A47 past Acle and then the broads as we headed to Yarmouth; one odd observation (amongst all the former windmills) were the extensive sidings with lots of old carriages including Caledonian Sleeper ones, long replaced and gently decaying. In the distance I could see Great Yarmouth and the various tourist and industrial structures on the skyline.

1659646535496.png1659646922488.png
GY is a traditional seaside resort - a bit down on its luck but still struggling through. I got off at the bus station, not the nicest but at least it had information with maps etc. I wanted to experience the enhanced open top sea front service, so I decided to get the local bus 2 that passes through Middlegate and down to Barrack Estate before looping round at the very end of the Pleasure Beach. It was a Streetlite - one of a small batch that were IMHO surprisingly allocated to the town in 2015, and smartly repainted in the new Coastal Reds livery for local services in Lowestoft and GY. We clattered along out of the town centre and then along... through an area of seemingly appalling poverty. Researching later, it is the most deprived area in Norfolk and is 39th most deprived in the UK. The local geography has this area on a spit of land, wedged between the river and sea front and it feels disconnected and unloved - it was quite affecting. I travel by bus for the scenery but sometimes something else opens your eyes. After my short trip, it was a wait until the open topper arrived but it did so and I clambered up top. Definitely bracing and the pleasure beach was doing a decent trade. I was busy snapping photos when a youngish guy (in his 20s) about three seats in front got my attention. Oh dear... but no, he was genuinely interested in what I was snapping and proceeded to act as tour guide as we poodled along. I think he may have had learning or social challenges but whatever it may be, he was just cheerfully friendly and informative. I bade him farewell, my faith in people restored, as we arrived at Britannia Pier only to get held up in traffic; the friendly driver asked me what was going on with loads of police cars. Sadly, an altercation no more than an hour earlier had seen someone stabbed...in Great Yarmouth at lunchtime. Shocking.
1659647810369.png1659648874505.pngF3AC3E0C-3980-448E-9378-E13B3C7E78AD.jpeg

I wandered up Regent Street, all kiss me quick hats and vape shops, and back to the bus station. I was going to hop to Gorleston - the main corridor in the town where frequent buses operate in place of trams in yesteryear; it seems amazing that both GY and Lowestoft had trams and municipal bus firms. Weighing up my options, the local 8 is the frequent route and I was surprised to see an elderly ALX400 bodied B7TL appear. I thought these were for contract work but no, they were out and about. Originally new to York and having had a spell in Greater Manchester, the rear seats will testify that they've had a hard life. What's worse than threadbare? We left the town centre and then hit traffic - a third river crossing is being built and it's causing some impact on local services though not as bad as my experience at Whittlesey, probably costing us just a couple of minutes. To be honest, the 21 year old Volvo was actually in decent shape despite its scruffiness. I was going to stop in Gorleston but as we travelled along, we overtook the Coastlink X1 so I dived off this in order to head to Lowestoft, rather than waiting. It was another e400, and we weaved our way out of Gorleston, past the James Paget Hospital and then inland rather than on the coastal route. Curiously, as I boarded the top deck, I noticed a chap in his 60s or 70s in fancy dress looking like a funeral director except with Bernie Clifton style legs - what the outfit was, I have no idea but it was distinctive.

Into Lowestoft and the small bus station. Since last year, someone has removed the 1980s Eastern Counties signage but the travel office is still resolutely closed and covered in dull First vinyls (rather than Coastlink or Coastal Reds or whatever). I had a proper explore last year so decided time was pressing and I wanted to head back to Norwich. So I queued for my X2, my third ex Excel e400, only to be joined by two people in the type of "Morph suits" that folks wear when doing a charity 10k. What parallel universe was I in? It turned out they were a couple, and it was a joint stag and hen party. They had been dressed by their friends, given money, a phone and instructions, and had to make their way to a rendezvous point for festivities. They were good sports and clearly were enjoying the challenge!!! They were heading to Beccles but our progress was delayed by more appalling roadworks near Carlton Colville - we lost 10 mins there that we never recovered. Having gone through Beccles, which is a nice town that I have visited before, we crossed the river and into the rolling countryside heading to Norwich. Again, it was a decently loaded run and I have to say that FEC's performance and loadings on these routes seemed healthier than I anticipated. Perhaps it is a commitment to marketing and good performance that helps?1659648932966.png1659650938093.png

Back into Norwich and after decamping, a last little trip. I made my way to Castle Meadow that serves as the main point for city services and is home to First's enquiry office; this is a rarity for major groups and it is still open Mon to Fri except lunchtime. I had decided to have a run to Old Catton on the 21 though a dying phone with my mticket meant I couldn't really check times. Castle Meadow was bathed in sunshine and just as well with lots of people waiting patiently for buses - I guess this may have indicated that some driver shortages were being experienced though I never had a problem all day. The 21 is home to the oldest fleet of ex London Presidents; however, it was an ex Leeds B9 branded for the 23/24 with a lot of good internal branding for those routes. Oddly, whilst the other three FEC depots have strong local brands, Norwich still uses Urban with the coloured front slashes for different routes. Whilst the colour coding is strong, I'm surprised a local Network Norwich livery hasn't been introduced. We left, passing the Anglia Television studios "live from Norwich" and then headed out through the city streets. I was sat behind a teenage girl and her male friend (who was sadly vaping). He was clearly trying it on with her, without much success. She clearly recognised he wanted more and she wasn't interested, except as a friend. It was quite funny to witness. Then we headed out past the Anglia Square shopping centre - a joyous bit of 1970s Brutalism that will doubtless be redeveloped. I wish I'd have got off and explored but never mind, I headed out to Old Catton. Now, my lack of phone was exposing my lack of planning and knowledge as I had hoped to get a Spixworth bus back from Old Catton but with little charge, I bottled it and simply came back on the bus that had taken me out.

I arrived back into the city centre and a bit of a wait for my last bus back to Wymondham. Noticeably, frequencies in Norwich drop after 1800 and frequent services suddenly turn hourly or worse. Wymondham gets 4 bph from First - the direct 13 and the 15 via Hethersett. We had a near full load for our early evening 13B which covers both the 13 and 15 in part, every 70 mins at night. Another ex Leeds B9, it didn't have any vestiges of its Yorkshire life and was fairly tidy though they probably deserve a mid life retrim. So it was I returned to Wymondham, got off and took my final shot... or so I thought.

1659651100618.png

My car was parked down a residential road. Four women, probably about 40, had left the kids with the husbands/grandparents and were off for a night in the town. As I approached "my road", they were busy trying to balance a mobile on a BT comms cabinet in order to take a selfie on a timer... and failing as it kept falling over. I said "do you want me to take a photo?". They were happy for me to grab their iphone and take a few snaps of them as a momento of their night in Wymondham. The irony was not lost on me.

I am really impressed with Norfolk and Suffolk. Lots of interesting places and countryside (even if I haven't hit the North Norfolk coast yet). It's an area of tourism, industry and agriculture, with affluence and yet clear deprivation. Small towns and cute villages abound and it's beautiful. First are doing a decent job - a few improvements needed but a lot of good stuff being done. I hope they keep doing it and would definitely recommend to anyone that they should visit - even better with the new Fusion multi-operator ticket.

Hope this was of interest and apologies for the waffle (esp at the start). Bit of a break now but fancy a couple of trips out before the summer ends.

RELL6L

Thanks for the reports from @route101 and @TheGrandWazoo, interesting. Some parts of North Hampshire and West Surrey are quite scenic but sadly also too prosperous for much by way of decent bus services. I think you have found some of the better sections here. Much of Metrobus territory is worth exploring to so do stick with your plans.

Lots good about parts of Norfolk and Suffolk and I think First here are, at least on the main routes, doing a pretty good job, albeit with a lot of ancient stock. Compared to say 30 years ago services on the trunk routes from Norwich to Yarmouth and Lowestoft are much improved. Great Yarmouth is certainly very variable, on South Quay - the road alongside the river on the western edge of the spit that contains the town centre - it is really well presented and looked after and seems very prosperous. Its is also pretty good around the Priory. Go over to the east side of the spit and then south from the resort area and it becomes deprived very quickly. Lots of it is industrial but the residential bit is very poor. Gorleston is quite decent but also has industrial areas that don't seem in keeping with a resort. Lowestoft I have never found particularly attractive, maybe I've just not found the right parts. Elsewhere you have some firmly middle class towns like Wymondham and Beccles which are very attractive places - Bungay is good too (I think you may have been there). Norwich is one of my favourite cities, there's so much good in such a small area. If you get time then worth venturing to North Norfolk and see Wells-next-the Sea and Burnham Market, difficult to do in half a day though.

LATER POST - POSTED TUESDAY 9 AUGUST

I was able to take advantage of the good weather and get out for a day yesterday. I took a trip I have had planned for some time in an area a bit closer to home, having been north for most of my travels this year. I had been to most places and some sections before but I fancied visiting this area as it had been some time since my last time here.

So at 8am I was in Cleobury Mortimer, gateway to Shropshire as it describes itself. I had been through here twice in 2010 and 2012, possibly the first time on a Dennis Lance, but not stopped here or been able to take a passable photograph of the place. It was quiet (apart from some traffic) and attractive at this time. Then I headed west on a Diamond Streetlite in dealer white on the 292 to Ludlow. Many years ago this was part of the Midland Red trunk X92 from Birmingham to Hereford run hourly, I think, with dual purpose Leyland Leopards. Now it is just between Kidderminster and Ludlow with one bus shuttling back and forth to make a 2 hourly frequency. Not many on the bus but I suspect there may be more in school terms. There are great views from here looking south at Clee Hill and I wanted to do this before the sun came round, past attempts having been pretty poor.

About 45 minutes in Ludlow, time to pick up a bacon roll, a coffee and some lunch. Ludlow is a wonderful small town that I really love and it was at its best at this hour before the tourists arrived in numbers. The market was just being prepared for the throngs that would no doubt have descended later in the day. Not enough time to head down the great Georgian streets but still a good wander around the centre and near the castle entrance. Oddly my next leg was on the train, I could have taken a bus via Leominster to Ludlow but I had done this before and the timing for the rest of the day worked better this way. It was a 2-car class 175 and was packed, people standing everywhere. Didn’t worry me for my short journey but there must be something wrong with the cost base on the railway system if the trains are this full at these prices and yet loss-making – but I’m not going any further here!

Only about half an hour in Hereford, a city I also very much like and have visited many times. No time for the cathedral or river this time but I walked in from the station through the Country Bus Station. I remember from the 1970s how this was a busy place with buses from Midland Red as well as any number of independent operators in different colours. I have to say it looks as if some money has been spent, it was smart, clean and clearly laid out with timetable information at each stop, only one thing missing from it really. So passengers can wait in comfort with plenty of information knowing that there is no bus taking them where or when they want to go! The services here keep being thinned out so that there is little left.

I carried on to Shire Hall to get my next bus from there, a DRM Scania Omni City on the 476 to Ledbury. This goes along the A438 and was a gap in my map, never having done this. A few good views to the north but not spectacular scenery and only a handful of passengers. Ledbury is very attractive, if perhaps a bit over-aware of its charms, and I only had a quarter of an hour here just exploring around the centre before taking my next bus, a First Solo on the 675 to Great Malvern. The first section of this trip was lengthened somewhat by a road closure including a seriously narrow lane, there were a couple of good views before we got to Wellington Heath but I note that the same journey today has missed out the village entirely. Further on the bus goes through Colwall and round the west side of the Malvern Hills, very pleasant villages but only with a few very brief good views. One other passenger all the way and a couple more between Colwall and West Malvern, but I did see that the next journey out from Malvern had about 12 passengers.

I had only ever stopped very briefly at Great Malvern, another very pretty middle class town that knows how attractive it is, but I was pleased to have about 40 minutes to wander around it this time. There are better views of the hill summits and over to open country from the town centre and a well-kept park plus an abbey, very pleasant. My next trip was on the First 44 to Worcester, another gap for me. The service has been reduced quite a bit in recent years after a facelift about 6 years ago and large parts of the Malvern area are no longer served, much of the wider town being left to the LMS 42 with one bus shuttling around the area. The 44 interworks with the 32 on a 2½ hour cycle, there were 2 Street Decks and 3 Citaros out (today 4 Street Decks and 1 Citaro). If either my intended bus or the one after had been a Street Deck I would have got this, but neither were so I took the first one anyway. This was 64036, an 07-registered Mercedes Citaro. Despite its age the inside was very smart with violent purple seats and quite a luxury feel with some rear facing seats and it seemed very refined. Plenty of passengers, many from the centre to Malvern to the less affluent suburbs, of which we have a fairly grand tour, then more joined heading into Worcester. Plenty of waiting around as we were running early, but one assumes there are times when the roads are much busier. As I had plenty of time I alighted in St Johns, west of the bridge, crossed the road and took a 30 for a short circular tour of Dines Green. This route is every 10 minutes normally, every 12 minutes now in the school holidays, all 3 vehicles yesterday being deckers. I was expecting a really ‘good bus territory’ run down estate, but it wasn’t, yes a former council estate but there appeared to be some pride round here too, no cars stacked on bricks or obvious deprivation. Not many passengers on our bus either, about 5 on the outward journey and 2 coming back in.

I have been to Worcester several times before but not explored round the cathedral close area so that was my target today. Some very attractive buildings here and inevitably I finished by walking back up along the side of the river. Lovely classic views here. Then back to the bus station with a few minutes before my next journey. What confusion! Citaros in the majority in many different colour schemes but not showing any idea of why, no branding. Looking carefully at the sides the only names I could make out from past branding was Heathrow – so not Worcester! Green, orange, blue, Barbie, “spare bus” and Nimrod colours, apart from the Nimrod buses on the 35 it all seemed to be random. There were Salt Road Volvo B7RLEs, which did appear to be on the correct route, Plaxton Centro bodied B7RLEs and Streetlites as well as the Citaros. They looked well-presented but I do wonder if the plot has been lost slightly.

From here I was back to Diamond, with a journey on the 294 to Stourport. Another Streetlite, quite a few passengers on this supported route which has had a few other operators in its time, about 6 of whom stayed on the bus to the Stourport estates or beyond. I last visited Stourport in 2010 and, as a former canal user, wanted to see how the canal basin area and marina had come on since my last visit. The answer was all finished and very well done. There are some new apartments sneaked away to one side which no doubt helped fund the cost but it is a really attractive area on a sultry summer day with quite a few people using their boats (to my surprise the water levels do not appear to have dropped enough to cause a problem yet – beats how it was in the 1980s and 1990s!). Next to it is a huge funfair, seemingly permanent, so plenty of excited screams coming from that.

The next leg was on the frequent Diamond service 3 which connects Kidderminster, Stourport and the estates. Unusually now this service steps up from 3bph in the day to 4bph in the peaks and we were now into the evening peak. My vehicle was a Plaxton Centro bodied Volvo B7RLE. I know Plaxton Centro bodies have not been held in as high regard as some but this seemed perfectly good, no great rattles or anything plus the quality provided by a heavyweight chassis. We got held up by very badly timed 4-way traffic lights on the way into Kidderminster, I see they are still around now, but I still had a while to stroll a little up the canal from near the bus station and back through the town centre. I’ve never seen as much in this town as much as some of the others nearly. And so it was back on the final leg on the same Streetlite as my first journey, spiritedly driven through the attractive town of Bewdley to finish at Cleobury Mortimer, precisely 10 hours after starting. Unlike my two previous trips (road closure leading to expensive taxi and Arriva strike) no issues, everything on time throughout and no sign of missing journeys.

Some pictures as usual:

A1 Cleobury Mortimer.JPG
Cleobury Mortimer

A2 View from Clee Hill.JPG
View from Clee Hill

A3 Ludlow.JPG
Ludlow

A4 Hereford country bus station.JPG
Hereford country bus station - no buses!

A5 Hereford.JPG
Hereford

A6 Great Malvern.JPG
Great Malvern

A7 Citaro interior.JPG
The interior of a First Worcester Citaro

A8 Worcester cathedral close.JPG
Worcester cathedral close

A9 Worcester riverside.JPG
Worcester

A10 Stourport canal basin.JPG
Stourport

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reports from @route101 and @TheGrandWazoo, interesting. Some parts of North Hampshire and West Surrey are quite scenic but sadly also too prosperous for much by way of decent bus services. I think you have found some of the better sections here. Much of Metrobus territory is worth exploring to so do stick with your plans.

Lots good about parts of Norfolk and Suffolk and I think First here are, at least on the main routes, doing a pretty good job, albeit with a lot of ancient stock. Compared to say 30 years ago services on the trunk routes from Norwich to Yarmouth and Lowestoft are much improved. Great Yarmouth is certainly very variable, on South Quay - the road alongside the river on the western edge of the spit that contains the town centre - it is really well presented and looked after and seems very prosperous. Its is also pretty good around the Priory. Go over to the east side of the spit and then south from the resort area and it becomes deprived very quickly. Lots of it is industrial but the residential bit is very poor. Gorleston is quite decent but also has industrial areas that don't seem in keeping with a resort. Lowestoft I have never found particularly attractive, maybe I've just not found the right parts. Elsewhere you have some firmly middle class towns like Wymondham and Beccles which are very attractive places - Bungay is good too (I think you may have been there). Norwich is one of my favourite cities, there's so much good in such a small area. If you get time then worth venturing to North Norfolk and see Wells-next-the Sea and Burnham Market, difficult to do in half a day though.

LATER POST - POSTED TUESDAY 9 AUGUST

I was able to take advantage of the good weather and get out for a day yesterday. I took a trip I have had planned for some time in an area a bit closer to home, having been north for most of my travels this year. I had been to most places and some sections before but I fancied visiting this area as it had been some time since my last time here.

So at 8am I was in Cleobury Mortimer, gateway to Shropshire as it describes itself. I had been through here twice in 2010 and 2012, possibly the first time on a Dennis Lance, but not stopped here or been able to take a passable photograph of the place. It was quiet (apart from some traffic) and attractive at this time. Then I headed west on a Diamond Streetlite in dealer white on the 292 to Ludlow. Many years ago this was part of the Midland Red trunk X92 from Birmingham to Hereford run hourly, I think, with dual purpose Leyland Leopards. Now it is just between Kidderminster and Ludlow with one bus shuttling back and forth to make a 2 hourly frequency. Not many on the bus but I suspect there may be more in school terms. There are great views from here looking south at Clee Hill and I wanted to do this before the sun came round, past attempts having been pretty poor.

About 45 minutes in Ludlow, time to pick up a bacon roll, a coffee and some lunch. Ludlow is a wonderful small town that I really love and it was at its best at this hour before the tourists arrived in numbers. The market was just being prepared for the throngs that would no doubt have descended later in the day. Not enough time to head down the great Georgian streets but still a good wander around the centre and near the castle entrance. Oddly my next leg was on the train, I could have taken a bus via Leominster to Ludlow but I had done this before and the timing for the rest of the day worked better this way. It was a 2-car class 175 and was packed, people standing everywhere. Didn’t worry me for my short journey but there must be something wrong with the cost base on the railway system if the trains are this full at these prices and yet loss-making – but I’m not going any further here!

Only about half an hour in Hereford, a city I also very much like and have visited many times. No time for the cathedral or river this time but I walked in from the station through the Country Bus Station. I remember from the 1970s how this was a busy place with buses from Midland Red as well as any number of independent operators in different colours. I have to say it looks as if some money has been spent, it was smart, clean and clearly laid out with timetable information at each stop, only one thing missing from it really. So passengers can wait in comfort with plenty of information knowing that there is no bus taking them where or when they want to go! The services here keep being thinned out so that there is little left.

I carried on to Shire Hall to get my next bus from there, a DRM Scania Omni City on the 476 to Ledbury. This goes along the A438 and was a gap in my map, never having done this. A few good views to the north but not spectacular scenery and only a handful of passengers. Ledbury is very attractive, if perhaps a bit over-aware of its charms, and I only had a quarter of an hour here just exploring around the centre before taking my next bus, a First Solo on the 675 to Great Malvern. The first section of this trip was lengthened somewhat by a road closure including a seriously narrow lane, there were a couple of good views before we got to Wellington Heath but I note that the same journey today has missed out the village entirely. Further on the bus goes through Colwall and round the west side of the Malvern Hills, very pleasant villages but only with a few very brief good views. One other passenger all the way and a couple more between Colwall and West Malvern, but I did see that the next journey out from Malvern had about 12 passengers.

I had only ever stopped very briefly at Great Malvern, another very pretty middle class town that knows how attractive it is, but I was pleased to have about 40 minutes to wander around it this time. There are better views of the hill summits and over to open country from the town centre and a well-kept park plus an abbey, very pleasant. My next trip was on the First 44 to Worcester, another gap for me. The service has been reduced quite a bit in recent years after a facelift about 6 years ago and large parts of the Malvern area are no longer served, much of the wider town being left to the LMS 42 with one bus shuttling around the area. The 44 interworks with the 32 on a 2½ hour cycle, there were 2 Street Decks and 3 Citaros out (today 4 Street Decks and 1 Citaro). If either my intended bus or the one after had been a Street Deck I would have got this, but neither were so I took the first one anyway. This was 64036, an 07-registered Mercedes Citaro. Despite its age the inside was very smart with violent purple seats and quite a luxury feel with some rear facing seats and it seemed very refined. Plenty of passengers, many from the centre to Malvern to the less affluent suburbs, of which we have a fairly grand tour, then more joined heading into Worcester. Plenty of waiting around as we were running early, but one assumes there are times when the roads are much busier. As I had plenty of time I alighted in St Johns, west of the bridge, crossed the road and took a 30 for a short circular tour of Dines Green. This route is every 10 minutes normally, every 12 minutes now in the school holidays, all 3 vehicles yesterday being deckers. I was expecting a really ‘good bus territory’ run down estate, but it wasn’t, yes a former council estate but there appeared to be some pride round here too, no cars stacked on bricks or obvious deprivation. Not many passengers on our bus either, about 5 on the outward journey and 2 coming back in.

I have been to Worcester several times before but not explored round the cathedral close area so that was my target today. Some very attractive buildings here and inevitably I finished by walking back up along the side of the river. Lovely classic views here. Then back to the bus station with a few minutes before my next journey. What confusion! Citaros in the majority in many different colour schemes but not showing any idea of why, no branding. Looking carefully at the sides the only names I could make out from past branding was Heathrow – so not Worcester! Green, orange, blue, Barbie, “spare bus” and Nimrod colours, apart from the Nimrod buses on the 35 it all seemed to be random. There were Salt Road Volvo B7RLEs, which did appear to be on the correct route, Plaxton Centro bodied B7RLEs and Streetlites as well as the Citaros. They looked well-presented but I do wonder if the plot has been lost slightly.

From here I was back to Diamond, with a journey on the 294 to Stourport. Another Streetlite, quite a few passengers on this supported route which has had a few other operators in its time, about 6 of whom stayed on the bus to the Stourport estates or beyond. I last visited Stourport in 2010 and, as a former canal user, wanted to see how the canal basin area and marina had come on since my last visit. The answer was all finished and very well done. There are some new apartments sneaked away to one side which no doubt helped fund the cost but it is a really attractive area on a sultry summer day with quite a few people using their boats (to my surprise the water levels do not appear to have dropped enough to cause a problem yet – beats how it was in the 1980s and 1990s!). Next to it is a huge funfair, seemingly permanent, so plenty of excited screams coming from that.

The next leg was on the frequent Diamond service 3 which connects Kidderminster, Stourport and the estates. Unusually now this service steps up from 3bph in the day to 4bph in the peaks and we were now into the evening peak. My vehicle was a Plaxton Centro bodied Volvo B7RLE. I know Plaxton Centro bodies have not been held in as high regard as some but this seemed perfectly good, no great rattles or anything plus the quality provided by a heavyweight chassis. We got held up by very badly timed 4-way traffic lights on the way into Kidderminster, I see they are still around now, but I still had a while to stroll a little up the canal from near the bus station and back through the town centre. I’ve never seen as much in this town as much as some of the others nearly. And so it was back on the final leg on the same Streetlite as my first journey, spiritedly driven through the attractive town of Bewdley to finish at Cleobury Mortimer, precisely 10 hours after starting. Unlike my two previous trips (road closure leading to expensive taxi and Arriva strike) no issues, everything on time throughout and no sign of missing journeys.
Starter - East Angular

First of all, thanks for the comments on Norfolk/Suffolk @RELL6L . I'd recommend a visit to anyone and the FEC fleet is looking better than it has for a long time. Aside from the ALXs in Great Yarmouth, which should be on contract work, and a few Lowestoft Darts, the rest of the fleet away from Norwich is now pretty decent with the 2008 Excel B9s working the Coastal Clippers. The old stuff is now in Norwich perversely though I expect that a mix of new fleet and some cascades will do for the superannuated stuff there. The Presidents must be on death row.

I'd implore people to explore the area. FEC is a very interesting operator in terms of its marketing (similar to First South West though not quite as good), the scenery is great. It's all good.

Main Course and Dessert - Herefordshire/Worcestershire

Now onto your own trip to what was Hereford and Worcester but is now two separate counties. Oddly, it's an area that I've visited in fits and starts so after a flurry in the mid 1990s when the 192 was still in one piece, and then again in the early 2000s. However, I've not had much of an explore in recent years though your superb photos might encourage me. Certainly, you have done some trips that are definitely on the "to do" list with the 476 to Ledbury and the 678 to Malvern.

Fully agree with your assessment of the towns, especially Malvern. It is a bit pompous to be honest (if a town can be). However, Cleobury is so sweet and the views from Clee Hill are stunning - I think I travelled it on an MRW Lynx first time, just missing the Leopards! Ludlow is everything you want in a town and I do like Hereford. Sadly, as you say, the bus service provision is now so reduced in the city and it's a toxic mix of retail decay, out-of-town development, lack of bus priority, and the dereliction of First. I might add, however, that even when they got new minibuses in the 1980s, the Merc 609s were soon swapped out for older 608s as the local routes just didn't take enough to sustain them.

The First operations in Worcester are a mixed bag. They have received Citaros from Slough to go with earlier ones that were either Elgar-ed or Spare Bus-ed. Think a front repaint into fuchsia would have made some sense though I wonder how long they are there for? It is one of the oldest First fleets and it continues to shrink. I have a lot of time for Nigel Eggleton but the focus on Worcester seems sporadic. They should never have sold Redditch and Kiddy and then kept Worcester - it is depressing when you compare it to the Stagecoach operation in Gloucester (or it would be normally but that's struggling with driver shortages and other daft decisions).

One place I've not visited for a long, long time is Stourport - perhaps its time to put that right. However, so many lovely places, so little time.

Thanks for sharing - really interesting report and ace photos.

Ken H

On Moderation
@RELL6L Nice trip round my old stomping ground before I returned to live in t'grim north.

Pity you never went in Worcester cathedral. Its lovely. And its cloister and chapter house. Did you find watergate from the riverside into the green. There are plaques with high water levels. the highest is the oldest from the 16th century.

First aquired a big operation carved out of the old Midland Red. They seem to have frittered much of it away.

RELL6L

Starter - East Angular

First of all, thanks for the comments on Norfolk/Suffolk @RELL6L . I'd recommend a visit to anyone and the FEC fleet is looking better than it has for a long time. Aside from the ALXs in Great Yarmouth, which should be on contract work, and a few Lowestoft Darts, the rest of the fleet away from Norwich is now pretty decent with the 2008 Excel B9s working the Coastal Clippers. The old stuff is now in Norwich perversely though I expect that a mix of new fleet and some cascades will do for the superannuated stuff there. The Presidents must be on death row.

I'd implore people to explore the area. FEC is a very interesting operator in terms of its marketing (similar to First South West though not quite as good), the scenery is great. It's all good.

Main Course and Dessert - Herefordshire/Worcestershire

Now onto your own trip to what was Hereford and Worcester but is now two separate counties. Oddly, it's an area that I've visited in fits and starts so after a flurry in the mid 1990s when the 192 was still in one piece, and then again in the early 2000s. However, I've not had much of an explore in recent years though your superb photos might encourage me. Certainly, you have done some trips that are definitely on the "to do" list with the 476 to Ledbury and the 678 to Malvern.

Fully agree with your assessment of the towns, especially Malvern. It is a bit pompous to be honest (if a town can be). However, Cleobury is so sweet and the views from Clee Hill are stunning - I think I travelled it on an MRW Lynx first time, just missing the Leopards! Ludlow is everything you want in a town and I do like Hereford. Sadly, as you say, the bus service provision is now so reduced in the city and it's a toxic mix of retail decay, out-of-town development, lack of bus priority, and the dereliction of First. I might add, however, that even when they got new minibuses in the 1980s, the Merc 609s were soon swapped out for older 608s as the local routes just didn't take enough to sustain them.

The First operations in Worcester are a mixed bag. They have received Citaros from Slough to go with earlier ones that were either Elgar-ed or Spare Bus-ed. Think a front repaint into fuchsia would have made some sense though I wonder how long they are there for? It is one of the oldest First fleets and it continues to shrink. I have a lot of time for Nigel Eggleton but the focus on Worcester seems sporadic. They should never have sold Redditch and Kiddy and then kept Worcester - it is depressing when you compare it to the Stagecoach operation in Gloucester (or it would be normally but that's struggling with driver shortages and other daft decisions).

One place I've not visited for a long, long time is Stourport - perhaps its time to put that right. However, so many lovely places, so little time.

Thanks for sharing - really interesting report and ace photos.
Thanks for your comments @TheGrandWazoo. Yes Worcester does seem a bit of an outpost for First after selling Redditch and Kidderminster and, for no apparent reason, a home for a sizeable collection of Citaros. Let’s hope they can get some stability now.

Just seen on my photo how twisted the spire is on Cleobury Mortimer church! Hadn’t noticed it when I was there.

Hopefully more to follow this week…

asb

Every trip is offered for sale, but they go off sale 24 hours ahead - maybe you looked at "tomorrow's" trips so only saw those 24 hours or more ahead?

route101

Established Member
Every trip is offered for sale, but they go off sale 24 hours ahead - maybe you looked at "tomorrow's" trips so only saw those 24 hours or more ahead?
Yes, I often only decide where to go on the Friday night !

Some good reports, need to get back to East Anglia. I did do Peterborough to Norwich with a break in Kings Lynn. Not been Worcestershire to sample buses yet.

Last week I sampled Ember and Flixbus.

E3 Glasgow to Dundee Yutong Electric Coach

Decided to try Embers new service from Glasgow to Dundee. £8.50 set price which can be booked online or on the bus. Lot cheaper than Citylink. Buchanan Bus Station was busy, with National Express services to London and Birmingham and the Citylink services. My bus was already on stand which is reassuring.

Ember seems to have weird departure times, this bus leaves at 0853 am, reminds me of flight times in America! The coach was a brand new Yutong 22 plate electric coach. A fairly small coach, sort of midi height. Only me and a couple boarded at Glasgow.

We made good progress up the M80 and A9 and stopped for one passenger at Greenloaning. Not sure if you have to pre book the intermediate stops or the bus will always call there. We called into Perth Broxden where one person got off. To my surprise we picked up a group at St Madoes.

We arrived on time at Dundee Railway Station.

Stagecoach X7 Dundee to Stonehaven E300

Was disappointed when the next X7 rolled into Dundee Bus station and it was a E300. It was on time and a bus turned up so stop complaining ! This service is usually operated by Interdecks and is a long route from Perth to Aberdeen. The scenery on the A92 is quite good past Abroath. Decided to stop for some Fish and Chips in Stonehaven, first time visited this coastal town. Cant beat Haddock and Chips!

I took the next X7 up to Aberdeen which was an Interdeck. This route follows the A92 into Aberdeen and calls at a small Park and Choose, yes not a park and ride!

I had a few hours in Aberdeen before my next move.

Flixbus 091 Merc Tourismo

This service only started last week and tickets were set at a promo fare of 99p. The service starts from Littlejohn St and not from the bus station. The service is up against Citylinks M9 service and will be interesting to see how this pans out.

The service was quiet but we had 12 people doing the full run from Aberdeen to Glasgow. We stopped in Dundee but did not pick anyone up and stopped at Broxden and Stirling Castleview. Surprised someone got on at Stirling. Arrived on time at Glasgow. Flixbus are the cheaper option, Citylink were selling normal tickets the day before.

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Sunday 14th August 2022. Leeds Bus Running Day. A selection of buses running on 3 routes
Thwaite Gate, Hunslet - Kirkstall Forge Rail Station
Thwaite Gate - Leeds Town Hall 'Fastaway' non stop
Thwaite Gate - Woodlesford rail Station

I parked up back of Yorkshire Telly and walked through to Kirkstall Rd. needed a short bus ride into the city.
It was a First leeds bus that had come from Otley

Got off at Town Hall and waited to see what turned up
IMG_0283.jpg
CUB331C, fleet number 331. A Leyland PDR1/1 with Weymann body, new July 1965 Not in original livery, which was mostly the dark LCT green, but in the reverse livery adopted after one man Operation conversion. This was going West towards Kirkstall.
I rode it to the Industrial Museum. We were followed by this Bournemouth Leyland PR1A/1 with Alexander body new March '69. Didn't get chance to ride this one. This pic taken at the Industrial Museum.

IMG_0284.jpg

Bought a Programme which had a timetable in it. The main Thwaite gate - Kirkstall Forge service was half hourly, but 2 buses were rostered for each run.
So the next bus was this Morecambe and Heysham AEC Regent 3 with Weymann body new Feb 1951
IMG_0285.jpg

Upstairs:-
IMG_0287.jpg
here she is in Eastgate. (The site of the first bus station in Leeds before the one on St Peters St opened in 1938)
IMG_0290.jpg

In need of a bit of a walk and a drink I walked up through the Arcades to the Town Hall, then had a coffee and some water in Cafe Nero.
The next bus to come travelling west was 331 again. I took the opportunity to get a pic of the makers badge on the rear engine cover
IMG_0296.jpg

But behind was this East Yorkshire AEC Bridgemaster with Park Royal body. It was a front entrance half cab. Note the pointed roof to allow it to pass through Beverley Bar.

IMG_0299.jpg
Nice poster on a bulkhead downstairs:-
IMG_0300.jpg

I rode this all the way to Kirkstall Forge. Downstairs to the Industrial Museum (Upstairs full), when I moved upstairs and got this pic of 331 through the open window. Nice rear destination display, painted over when converted to OMO.
IMG_0301.jpg
At Kirkstall Forge the buses were scheduled to have a 15 minute stand. probably welcome in the heat to allow the engines to cool a little. I took the opportunity to take some detail pix which will be in the next post (10 pic limit)

I have referred to 'One Man Operation', simply because thats what it was called in the 60's and 70's

Leeds bus Running Day report part 2
Some detail pix taken at Kirkstall Forge Station of leeds 331

LCT logo on off side
IMG_0305.jpg

Drivers cab. Modern tachograph and mobile phone!
IMG_0307.jpg
Inside downstairs
IMG_0308.jpg
Timetable advert
IMG_0309.jpg
Limited sign on the front. this is a Leeds thing. During the rush hour some buses would not drop off till a certain stop in the suburbs, and this was noted in the timetable under 'Limited Stop Conditions'. This sign would be lit up when the bus was 'limited'
IMG_0313.jpg

Drivers cab of the East Yorkshire AEC Bridgemaster:-
IMG_0316.jpg

I rode 331 back into Leeds Town Hall then crossed over to get this Mercedes Benz O405 with Optare body new Dec 1996. Black Prince were an independent operator in Leeds, based in Morley.
IMG_0320.jpg
This was followed by B144RWY, a Leyland ONLXB/1R with Roe body new to West Yorks PTE in August 1984, which I didnt get to ride.
I got off at Industrial museum and walked the short distance back to my car.

Nice day out.

Thanks to www.blackprincebuses.co.uk for organising this, and to the bus owners who brought their buses to let us ride them. And who had them in a condition whereby they could happily run in the heat. I dont think there were any blow-ups or breakdowns.

Slightly different subject matter for this thread. Hope of interest.

Some of the buses were quite busy - running them in pairs was necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    992.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Yes, I often only decide where to go on the Friday night !

Some good reports, need to get back to East Anglia. I did do Peterborough to Norwich with a break in Kings Lynn. Not been Worcestershire to sample buses yet.

Last week I sampled Ember and Flixbus.

E3 Glasgow to Dundee Yutong Electric Coach

Decided to try Embers new service from Glasgow to Dundee. £8.50 set price which can be booked online or on the bus. Lot cheaper than Citylink. Buchanan Bus Station was busy, with National Express services to London and Birmingham and the Citylink services. My bus was already on stand which is reassuring.

Ember seems to have weird departure times, this bus leaves at 0853 am, reminds me of flight times in America! The coach was a brand new Yutong 22 plate electric coach. A fairly small coach, sort of midi height. Only me and a couple boarded at Glasgow.

We made good progress up the M80 and A9 and stopped for one passenger at Greenloaning. Not sure if you have to pre book the intermediate stops or the bus will always call there. We called into Perth Broxden where one person got off. To my surprise we picked up a group at St Madoes.

We arrived on time at Dundee Railway Station.

Stagecoach X7 Dundee to Stonehaven E300

Was disappointed when the next X7 rolled into Dundee Bus station and it was a E300. It was on time and a bus turned up so stop complaining ! This service is usually operated by Interdecks and is a long route from Perth to Aberdeen. The scenery on the A92 is quite good past Abroath. Decided to stop for some Fish and Chips in Stonehaven, first time visited this coastal town. Cant beat Haddock and Chips!

I took the next X7 up to Aberdeen which was an Interdeck. This route follows the A92 into Aberdeen and calls at a small Park and Choose, yes not a park and ride!

I had a few hours in Aberdeen before my next move.

Flixbus 091 Merc Tourismo

This service only started last week and tickets were set at a promo fare of 99p. The service starts from Littlejohn St and not from the bus station. The service is up against Citylinks M9 service and will be interesting to see how this pans out.

The service was quiet but we had 12 people doing the full run from Aberdeen to Glasgow. We stopped in Dundee but did not pick anyone up and stopped at Broxden and Stirling Castleview. Surprised someone got on at Stirling. Arrived on time at Glasgow. Flixbus are the cheaper option, Citylink were selling normal tickets the day before.
Nice little report of many miles. Did some of the X7 about 4 months ago and whilst I saw "long" X7s operated by e300s, we were exclusively Interdeck. Stonehaven is delightful and me/missus also enjoyed fish and chips on the sea front. It was lovely!

And yes, we saw the Park and Choose; a new one on me!

route101

Established Member
Nice little report of many miles. Did some of the X7 about 4 months ago and whilst I saw "long" X7s operated by e300s, we were exclusively Interdeck. Stonehaven is delightful and me/missus also enjoyed fish and chips on the sea front. It was lovely!

And yes, we saw the Park and Choose; a new one on me!
I overheard some of the drivers, some of the Interdecks are off the road. My next report will be in your neck of woods.

RELL6L

I am sorry it has taken a while to write this up but events intervened, not least an unexpected three days in Italy this week!

Last Monday I did the trip to the Hereford and Worcester area report in post 435. Given the sunny weather forecast for the week I considered carrying on from there to a second day in South Wales, but decided against. I had an unmoveable board meeting on Wednesday but Thursday & Friday looked good and I didn’t have to be home until Saturday afternoon. The heatwave forecast was just too hot though… except in the North East. In the last few years I have been extending my boundaries in the North East, reaching Newcastle on a couple of days in 2018 then last year my two trips - one across the Pennines (using the wonderful Wright 888) and one moving up Northumberland as far as Alnwick. The next logical extension was to Berwick and after that – well why not to Scotland!

So last Wednesday I headed off late afternoon and drove to the Travelodge at Seaton Burn, arriving just after dark, grabbed some sleep and then up very early on Thursday. For logistical reasons I decided to do the further and longer trip first, so a further hour’s drive up the A1, parked up in Berwick on Tweed at an ideal free car park down by the city walls, and I made it up the High Street and to Golden Square in time for the Borders bus 60 bound for Galashiels departing at 6.20. First time on Borders Buses, I had established that there was a good value day ticket but only through the App, so for the first time ever I downloaded a bus company App and bought a ticket on it, which I validated in time for the bus. The bus was a modern E200 with working USB charging points, clean and well presented. Unsurprisingly I was the only passenger as the bus headed north across the border and to Eyemouth. The first journey out and last journey back go this way – I don’t know why but there were passengers boarding in Eyemouth. Eyemouth looks pleasant but there are only glimpses from the bus, another trip (maybe not by bus) is required. Then the bus heads inland through lots of countryside and a few small towns and villages. On a lovely sunny morning the countryside was gorgeous, open fields, hills, purple heather in places, and the towns, such as Duns, Greenlaw and then Earlston, looked really attractive. Notable though, even this far north, the predominant colour was yellow rather than green. A decent number of people boarded and alighted at various places, surprisingly four alighted at Greenlaw, not sure what was there, but never more than about a dozen on board.

I alighted at Melrose, a delightful small town, to grab a bacon roll and coffee at a small bakery and have a look at the abbey (from outside the locked gates). Not enough time to head down to the river here before getting a 67 for the short journey to Galashiels, this being a 17-reg Optare MetroCity, of which Borders Buses have quite a few. Not sure I can tell the difference between this and a Versa to be honest, seemed perfectly good but, as with Versas, there were noises from the drive shaft or differential or something which just didn’t sound good. We passed Tweedbank station, the terminus of the relatively recently reopened Borders line, loads of people waiting on the platform and a train just pulling in, this line seems to have done very well. On to Galashiels and I alighted at the bus station, opposite the railway station where more people were waiting for the same train. I knew Galashiels was nothing spectacular but it was impossible to avoid the town and it was perfectly pleasant in the centre, I stocked up here with something to eat for lunch and returned to the bus station.

My next trips were on the X62 to Edinburgh, but with a stop for an hour in Peebles. The route is hourly to Edinburgh, with double deckers, plus hourly shorts from Galashiels to Peebles, with singles. I chose to get double deckers on both legs and both were 19-reg E400MMCs with bike spaces. The Borders Bus website warned of delays on the route due to 8 sets of roadworks, a diversion and heavy traffic in Edinburgh for the festival. My first leg to Peebles was pretty much on time, about 5 minutes late at Peebles, plenty of passengers, the majority looked like they were headed to Edinburgh. Extremely scenic route, much of it alongside the River Tweed with great views, better of course for being on a double decker - thoroughly recommend. I felt Peebles was worth a stop and it was, good architecture -very Scottish style – in the centre and decent down by the river. Maybe 30 minutes would have been enough but that didn’t work for me. And so on the second half of the journey on another E400, also busy, this arrived under 10 minutes late and stayed that way to Penicuik. Another fairly scenic section with more distant hills. Then from Penicuik it got very slow. Not from road works or diversions, but simply picking up passengers and taking fares. It seemed so slow at almost every stop. There are parallel Lothian routes and I guess maybe there had been a gap but until we were full we spent an age at stops. From 8 minutes late in Penicuik we were 29 minutes late when I got off in Old Town and none of this was due to traffic. Sitting upstairs I couldn’t really see why it took so long, whether Lothian passengers were stung by Borders fares, or whether it was slow card readers or people fumbling with cash and delays giving change. Either way, given how quick Lothian is, something needs to be done. Eventually we were overtaken by a Lothian bus and things improved.

For me this trip was really not about Edinburgh, I have been there many times before and it seemed extremely busy with people given the season, the weather and the festival. I walked through a little bit of the old town and down over the North Bridge, currently covered by roadworks, to Waterloo Place to head east. I had time to divert from the direct route by taking a 26 to Portobello where I got off for a quick look round, lots of people at the beach but not much else to see, then another 26 on to Musselburgh. I don’t know what I paid for these journeys, it was flat fare, card on the reader, no ticket, next please, very quick. Musselburgh seemed quite a pleasant town in the centre and by the river and also on the way out past the racecourse. From here it was the 124, an East Coast Buses Volvo B5TL, seemingly standard fare for the route. A bit suburban to start with but then a stretch along the coast at Aberlady, which was attractive, and on to North Berwick. My day trip might not have been about Edinburgh but it very much was about North Berwick, a town I had never been to before. Busy but really lovely, with the harbour, beach and sea front and a pleasant town alongside. Very much the sort of place I like. I had over an hour wandering around here.

The penultimate leg of my journey was on Eve’s coaches 120 to Dunbar. This doesn’t show up on BusTimes but their own website has a live tracker which shows where the buses are and which vehicle it is. Mine was E23, a modern E200, presented immaculately and with a good dozen passengers. Before we left one lady realised she had left her iPad in a shop and the driver called the shop for her and they agreed to keep it secure for the lady to collect it the next day – that’s good customer service – we still left on time. The route out of North Berwick mixes sea front and housing estates before heading east close to an attractive section of coast again, before turning inland to East Linton and then on to Dunbar. Dunbar was another must for me and I had about an hour here, with time to explore the lovely harbour area and further down the shoreline. Much quieter than North Berwick and less obviously touristy but really attractive.

In fact I had rather more than an hour at Dunbar, from looking at BusTimes and the Border Buses website it was clear that my final bus, the 253, had been badly delayed and taken half an hour to get a few yards from Edinburgh bus station. Both sites are fed from the live data from the bus but then slightly differently, they were so much in synch I believed them and didn’t actually present myself at the stop until 20 minutes after the bus should have left. That was fine – I only had to wait 10 minutes with a handful of other people. The East Coast Buses X7 was similarly affected by the delay and running late. When the 253 did arrive it was over half full and there was only one window seat remaining. This was an E200, another bike bus, with two bikes. Several people alighted at the leisure park at Innerwick, not far out of Dunbar, and others at various places along the route. We passed Torness nuclear power station and then diverted to Reston and its station, a new addition on the East Coast line. I had heard this had not been provided with many trains but there were about 10 cars in the car park and a train had just arrived with about a dozen descending the steps from the station to the car park. After this it was into Eyemouth where the last of the passengers alighted, although four more got on, then finally back along the coast road into Berwick. It was now getting quite late and someone had decided to reduce the dual carriageway north of Berwick to single alternate lane working with long queues either side so we were further delayed, finally arriving back in Berwick around 20.30. It was beginning to get dark so again I didn’t spend much time in Berwick. A fourteen-hour trip is pretty long, and I still had an hour’s drive back to Seaton Burn, with yet more road works on the A1.

Borders Buses did a great job generally but they need to improve the speed of fare collection on the X62 – London banned cash years ago so how about Edinburgh too? Everything showed up, on time so far as within their control, well presented, USBs working, all live and accurate data online and my one day ticket on the App worked well – good value for £8.40. Obviously I paid more to go the way I chose from Edinburgh to Dunbar but taking the 253 direct and that would have been the cost of the whole trip. And generally speaking I thought the buses had reasonable numbers of passengers – quite encouraging I am not sure the Borders 60 would have covered its costs but a fair number of people seemed to rely on it, mostly I guess heading for work (although there were two walkers who alighted at an obscure country footpath). The X62 and 253 were very well patronised. A brilliant day out – day 2 to follow….

Usual allotment of 10 photos:

A1 Melrose.JPG
Melrose

A2 View from the X62 near Innerleithen.JPG
View from the X62 near Innerleithen

A3 Peebles.JPG
Peebles

A4 Edinburgh.JPG
Edinburgh - the old town - with people!

A5 Musselburgh.JPG
Musselburgh

A6 North Berwick.JPG
North Berwick

A7 North Berwick.JPG
North Berwick

A8 North Berwick.JPG
North Berwick

A9 Dunbar.JPG
Dunbar

A10 Dunbar.JPG
Dunbar

PART 2

I’m not sure anyone is reading this but I’ll continue anyway…..

The second day of my trip I had a comparative lie-in and drove the short distance to Bedlington for a 6.30 start. There are two parts of Bedlington, “Red Lion” and “Station”. I parked in the car park behind the main street at “Red Lion”, which, although working class, seems to have considerable pride and is clean and well presented. I saw an early X21 heading into Newcastle with a decent load, despite the early hour, and then got my bus on the 2 to Morpeth, a standard Pulsar. I bought an Arriva day ticket, there were quite a few passengers on this too for an uneventful ride into Morpeth. I had a few minutes here, enough to buy a bacon roll, before continuing north on the X18 as far as Amble. This was an E400 and we took on quite a few passengers in the villages we passed, including the not very scenic section into the grounds of Northumberland prison! I was pleased to be at Amble so early as, although little was open, the attractive areas round the harbour and beach were quiet. I have been here at busier times and it can get quite crowded. I had about 50 minutes to explore at leisure before boarding another Pulsar on the X20 heading north through Warkworth and I alighted at Hipsburn roundabout. From here I walked just under a mile to Alnmouth and just had enough time to get properly into the village, which is a really lovely spot. The X20 avoids Alnmouth but the X18 used to go round the village until recently; too many parked cars put a stop to that and now it stops by the roundabout at the edge of the village, from here I boarded another X18 on to Alnwick, this was the E400 in platinum jubilee colours. Even on this well presented bus the USB chargers did not work.

I visited Alnwick on my trip last year but very happy to go again as this is a really attractive small town. There is a great cobbled market square where the powers that be have succeeded in not allowing cars or even delivery vehicles to damage the views. Time for another coffee and roll and to buy some lunch before moving on with Glen Valley Tours to Wooler. Until very recently there used to be two routes from Alnwick to Wooler, the 470 and 473, via different sets of villages either side of the main road, but now they have been combined into the 473, slightly more frequent, serving all the villages and therefore taking somewhat longer to get to Wooler. Glen Valley Tours also now run the 472 Alnwick local service to Shilbottle. The 473 runs every two hours but with a 57-minute journey time this is challenging to run on a standalone basis so the two routes interwork, with the bus coming off the 472 to run the 473 then, 10 minutes later, the incoming 473 resumes on the 472. However this was not the plan for my journey, there was a driver waiting at the bus station, presumably to give a break to each of the other two drivers, and he instructed the incoming 472 to continue as a 472. The incoming 473 arrived on time and then set out for Wooler again, with the new driver at the wheel, about 10 minutes late. This was a reasonably new Optare Solo in red and white colours. The ticket machine didn’t work but the driver told a passenger who wanted a return ticket not to worry, just tell the driver she had bought a return ticket. I only wanted a single and didn’t need a ticket. The driver didn’t take any prisoners and we arrived in Wooler barely late at all via some pretty scenic rural Northumberland countryside and past the very weird Chillingham Castle. Oddly BusTimes is in a real pickle with these routes, it still shows the old 470, nothing about the 472 and both new and old timetables for the 473. No vehicles or live times are shown.

I had about 20 minutes to explore Wooler – a nice small town but this is probably enough – before getting my next bus to Berwick. Oddly there are two routes between the towns, both run by Borders Buses, and they run at about the same times, and I chose the 267 via Ford and Etal. On BusTimes these routes are not in the Scottish section of Borders Buses, although the vehicles show on the map, but the timetable shows in Borders Buses within the North East area, perhaps because they do not enter Scotland at all. My bus was an Optare Metrocity, with working USB charger – Arriva please note! – and it took me on another scenic route. Ford and Etal are both very attractive villages which form part of a managed estate, a hidden gem tucked away in the Northumberland countryside.

And so I arrived at Berwick on Tweed again at about lunchtime. As I had rather feared there was now some mist arriving on the sea breeze and it was partly cloudy here. I had more time to wander around the town, having only visited very early and late the previous day, this including part of the town walls and the area around the barracks east of the town centre. Berwick is a very attractive small town with an interesting history, well worth a visit.

From Berwick it was heading south on the coastal X18. There is a combined hourly service with Travelsure’s 418 and X18 and Arriva’s four-hourly X18, but I wanted to do this on a double decker, so it had to be Arriva, another E400. This is an area I know pretty well and have visited separately in good weather so I was not too fussed that much of the journey was in mist and low cloud. There are some good pictures which I missed out on due to this but many of the best places, such as Seahouses and Beadnell, are hard to see properly without getting off the bus anyway. Just before turning right off the A1 for Belford we joined the back of a slow moving queue. We then went through Belford, stopped for passengers and then on to get back to the A1, where the bus turns left to head north before turning right towards Bamburgh. Just as turned right we saw a huge combine harvester with escort heading south at a snail’s pace with the queue we had been in still behind it. Shouldn’t be allowed – the delays will have been horrendous!

I stayed on the X18 all the way through the coastal section back to Alnwick. We were back into sunshine almost immediately after we left the coast at Craster. Alnwick was now quite busy and I was heading south on the X15, this was running about 15 minutes late due to earlier delays. It turned out that the previous X15 from Berwick had not run, I heard a report, not confirmed, that it had been in an accident just outside Morpeth: certainly the bus (7528) hasn’t been out since. This batch of 14- and 64- registered E400s (7522-7533) seem to me to be more powerful with better acceleration and higher top speed than ‘normal’ E400s, good for the high-speed running on the A1 on several sections of the route. These buses must have a very high mileage now and I understand they are to be replaced shortly. I stayed on my bus through Morpeth and on to Newcastle, getting off at Haymarket Bus Station for a wander round the university and hospital area, an area where I had not ventured before. It all looked good in the bright sunlight with a mix of modern and classical buildings plus the council offices and, nearby, the beginnings of a Geordie Friday night out! Finally an X22 back to Bedlington to pick up my car. This had a good load but maybe in part because the previous X21 had been cancelled, not good when the combined service had reduces from every 10 minutes to every 30 minutes by 18.15. A shorter day this time – just under 13 hours on the road! I stayed another night at Seaton Burn and drove home the next day. No complaints on any of my journeys, all ran reasonably to time and even Arriva seemed OK, I think this is one of their better areas. I do think closing Jesmond without local replacement is a mistake, I cannot see lots of staff transferring to Ashington or Blyth and if they try and run the existing local Newcastle services then they won’t have enough staff for everything. If cuts then start affecting the existing routes in North Northumberland there will be an irreversible decline.

I had actually woken in the middle of the night before and changed my plans slightly, having seen the risk of coastal mist in the afternoon – which is why I had done the Edinburgh trip on the first day as the effect of cloud on this trip would, to me, have been much worse. My original plan for day 2 had been to visit Newcastle first and head straight for Alnwick, returning via the Amble section in the afternoon, but I was able to work out a way to switch this due to the risk of this coastal section also being in cloud later – which I think it was. What I could not do was switch the section north of Alnwick to head up on the coast and back via Wooler as the times of buses to Wooler made that impractical. Good to be able to react to circumstances when possible. Two great days out and the area of my trips now extended in the east all the way to Edinburgh. Maybe some day I will go beyond Carlisle in the west…..

Some more pictures:
B1 Amble.JPG
Amble

B2 Amble.JPG
Amble

B3 Alnmouth.JPG
Alnmouth

B4 Alnwick.JPG
Alnwick

B5 from the 473 between Alnwick and Wooler.JPG
Countryside between Alnwick and Wooler

B6 Wooler.JPG
Wooler

B7 Ford.JPG
The picturesque village of Ford

B8A Berwick on Tweed.JPG
Berwick

B9 Sea mist at Craster.JPG
Low cloud at Craster

B10 Newcastle.JPG
Newcastle

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Don't worry @RELL6L - I'm reading!

Two excellent reports with the usual superb photos, so I'll deal with the first one, first!!

The Borders is a real hidden gem, being an area where as a kid,we only saw the fantastic scenerywhen heading north on the A68 to Edinburgh to see my sister and her family. I'e explored subsequently (cycling and mountain biking) as well as by bus, initially from Edinburgh on Tigers in the mid-1980s on the 95, and in early First days (when Seddons could still be enjoyed) and whilst the operators have changed and depots closed, there remains a reasonable functioning network, even on a Sunday. The area is dotted with lovely small towns like Melrose and Kelso and it's got fantastic scenery that is definitely recommended. Last travelled on Border Buses before Covid and they're a good firm.

As for Edinburgh, it has so much history and beauty that it should be on any explorer's itinerary. For the bus enthusiast, it has Lothian to enjoy. However, whilst I know Midlothian very well, the East is something I am less familiar with. I think I've had a fleeting divert into North Berwick about 20+ years ago whilst I've never stepped foot in Dunbar, usually just hurtling through on a GNER/LNER train. Judging by those photos, it's something I should perhaps do in the future (but not this year). Gorgeous shots.

As for Day 2, you're stirring up memories of my earliest Explorers to places like Ashington and Bedlington; I did the Berwick/Wooler/Alnwick triangle in 1986 when it was still United LHs working from a small depot in Wooler (with VRs on the town service!). I explored the area extensively in the late 80s and 90s in both United, and then Northumbria, days. Then came Arriva and the systematic cutting of services, yielding territory, closing depots (Berwick and Alnwick) and a reduction to the network you have now though the X18 used to be two hourly north of Alnwick. The Explorer ticket is still valid on Travelsure and Arriva, and there is a North Northumberland ticket (not well publicised) that is valid additionally on PCL Travel and Border Buses (but not into Scotland). At one time, it was a great secret that Explorers were valid on Northumberland tendered routes so I used it on the 267 with Glen Valley - I never saw it advertised but I did see it in black and white. This is the problem with Arriva Northumbria/North East - there are genuinely committed staff hamstrung by corporate paralysis and cost-cutting, and the threadbare nature of operations is increasingly apparent even if some new fleet is eventually now coming. Now, your comment about closing Jesmond and staff not transferring. We've been here before when, in 2011, they elected to close Alnwick depot and relocate ops to Ashington. Staff didn't transfer, redundancy was higher than bargained for, service reliability was appalling (lots of convoluted driver changes in Newcastle or Morpeth) and eventually they had to open an outstation in Alnwick!

As for your sights, I took my other half to Northumberland a few years ago, staying in the Ingram Valley near Wooler and I showed her many of the spots you visited. She really wanted to see Berwick but I did counsel her that it isn't quite what you expect. The walls are ok, but the town has lost a lot of its former vibrancy and you see that in the local bus services; to think there was a protracted bus war and that individual routes used to run every 10 mins, it's now a shadow of its former self though perhaps the out of town developments have seen to that! The coast around Bamburgh and Seahouses is superb, as is the drop into Craster, and we did much of that albeit from the car (though we did get the bus between Alnwick and Berwick.

I have lots of memories of travelling on Northumbria Leopards up the A1 - deckers were a rarity in those days being confined to the X18. Mind you, for a period, the Alnwick to Ashington route disappeared from the map until another firm spotted the gap in the market!

Thanks for all the memories and you really cannot go wrong with Northumberland.

ps you didn't stay in the Travelodge at Seaton Burn? That's where I stayed when I ventured out last February!!

RELL6L

Don't worry @RELL6L - I'm reading!

Two excellent reports with the usual superb photos, so I'll deal with the first one, first!!

The Borders is a real hidden gem, being an area where as a kid,we only saw the fantastic scenerywhen heading north on the A68 to Edinburgh to see my sister and her family. I'e explored subsequently (cycling and mountain biking) as well as by bus, initially from Edinburgh on Tigers in the mid-1980s on the 95, and in early First days (when Seddons could still be enjoyed) and whilst the operators have changed and depots closed, there remains a reasonable functioning network, even on a Sunday. The area is dotted with lovely small towns like Melrose and Kelso and it's got fantastic scenery that is definitely recommended. Last travelled on Border Buses before Covid and they're a good firm.

As for Edinburgh, it has so much history and beauty that it should be on any explorer's itinerary. For the bus enthusiast, it has Lothian to enjoy. However, whilst I know Midlothian very well, the East is something I am less familiar with. I think I've had a fleeting divert into North Berwick about 20+ years ago whilst I've never stepped foot in Dunbar, usually just hurtling through on a GNER/LNER train. Judging by those photos, it's something I should perhaps do in the future (but not this year). Gorgeous shots.

As for Day 2, you're stirring up memories of my earliest Explorers to places like Ashington and Bedlington; I did the Berwick/Wooler/Alnwick triangle in 1986 when it was still United LHs working from a small depot in Wooler (with VRs on the town service!). I explored the area extensively in the late 80s and 90s in both United, and then Northumbria, days. Then came Arriva and the systematic cutting of services, yielding territory, closing depots (Berwick and Alnwick) and a reduction to the network you have now though the X18 used to be two hourly north of Alnwick. The Explorer ticket is still valid on Travelsure and Arriva, and there is a North Northumberland ticket (not well publicised) that is valid additionally on PCL Travel and Border Buses (but not into Scotland). At one time, it was a great secret that Explorers were valid on Northumberland tendered routes so I used it on the 267 with Glen Valley - I never saw it advertised but I did see it in black and white. This is the problem with Arriva Northumbria/North East - there are genuinely committed staff hamstrung by corporate paralysis and cost-cutting, and the threadbare nature of operations is increasingly apparent even if some new fleet is eventually now coming. Now, your comment about closing Jesmond and staff not transferring. We've been here before when, in 2011, they elected to close Alnwick depot and relocate ops to Ashington. Staff didn't transfer, redundancy was higher than bargained for, service reliability was appalling (lots of convoluted driver changes in Newcastle or Morpeth) and eventually they had to open an outstation in Alnwick!

As for your sights, I took my other half to Northumberland a few years ago, staying in the Ingram Valley near Wooler and I showed her many of the spots you visited. She really wanted to see Berwick but I did counsel her that it isn't quite what you expect. The walls are ok, but the town has lost a lot of its former vibrancy and you see that in the local bus services; to think there was a protracted bus war and that individual routes used to run every 10 mins, it's now a shadow of its former self though perhaps the out of town developments have seen to that! The coast around Bamburgh and Seahouses is superb, as is the drop into Craster, and we did much of that albeit from the car (though we did get the bus between Alnwick and Berwick.

I have lots of memories of travelling on Northumbria Leopards up the A1 - deckers were a rarity in those days being confined to the X18. Mind you, for a period, the Alnwick to Ashington route disappeared from the map until another firm spotted the gap in the market!

Thanks for all the memories and you really cannot go wrong with Northumberland.

ps you didn't stay in the Travelodge at Seaton Burn? That's where I stayed when I ventured out last February!!
Thanks for your comments @TheGrandWazoo. Yes a lovely area and I know Northumberland at least is familiar to you. Yes, indeed I stayed at Travelodge Seaton Burn. A little noisy with the windows open but sufficiently tired that I slept like a baby!

I hadn't realised they tried to operate the X15 & X18 without the Alnwick outstation - I struggle to see how that could possibly have worked. It seems the Explorer ticket is valid on Glen Valley, it doesn't say so anywhere but it did on their fare table which I saw when I boarded the 473. I didn't buy one but perhaps it was valid on Borders Buses too (I doubt it).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for your comments @TheGrandWazoo. Yes a lovely area and I know Northumberland at least is familiar to you. Yes, indeed I stayed at Travelodge Seaton Burn. A little noisy with the windows open but sufficiently tired that I slept like a baby!

I hadn't realised they tried to operate the X15 & X18 without the Alnwick outstation - I struggle to see how that could possibly have worked. It seems the Explorer ticket is valid on Glen Valley, it doesn't say so anywhere but it did on their fare table which I saw when I boarded the 473. I didn't buy one but perhaps it was valid on Borders Buses too (I doubt it).
I didn't sleep with windows open @RELL6L in February :lol:

The closure of Alnwick so badly handled by Arriva, it was scarcely believable. They underestimated the number of drivers who would take redundancy. I mean, who is going to drive 45 mins (unpaid) to then drive a bus back the same way to get into service and, at the end of the day, spend another 45 mins getting home? Then another issue was that some of the vehicles (might have been the 2007 e400s that Ashington had) didn't have big enough fuel tanks for a full day on the A1 services. So they soon discovered that they had vehicles running out of fuel - you couldn't make this up! That's aside from the challenges of having driver changes well away from the main depot. I think it was 2/3 years before they finally relented and opened the outstation.

Northumberland is a fantastic county. However, having only limited opportunities to get up there and having been once this year, I think my next trip to the North East will involve some petro-chemical hellholes instead... I would recommend the X18, X20, and the 308 to anyone for a bit of coastal scenery.

DunsBus

Established Member
Great report RELL6L and I see you passed through my home town, Duns, on the first day of your travels. I'm pleased the good weather that day meant that you got to see the Borders at its best.

The reason for the first 60 from Berwick and the last 60 into Berwick running via Eyemouth is mostly for college students going to and from the campuses in Galashiels. Pre-covid, a number of Sunday journeys also went this way.

RELL6L

Great report RELL6L and I see you passed through my home town, Duns, on the first day of your travels. I'm pleased the good weather that day meant that you got to see the Borders at its best.

The reason for the first 60 from Berwick and the last 60 into Berwick running via Eyemouth is mostly for college students going to and from the campuses in Galashiels. Pre-covid, a number of Sunday journeys also went this way.
Indeed, it looked a lovely town, sadly the timing of buses makes it challenging to get off and spend time there.
That explanation makes good sense, of course Eyemouth is in Scotland and the nearest Scottish town large enough for a college is going to be some way away. Of course when I went the colleges were out for the summer. There were a couple of passengers joined in Eyemouth though and another in Chirnside so the section is definitely used.
A lovely part of the world, please indulge me for a handful more pictures from the area, Berwick not long after dawn, Duns, two from the bus between Duns and Greenlaw, Earlston. Difficult to photograph places from the bus, there's not much you can do about street signs etc in the way of the best shots!

A11 Berwick.JPGA12 Duns.JPGA13 near Duns.JPGA14 near Duns.JPGA15 Earlston.JPG

Attachments

• A12 Duns.JPG
    A12 Duns.JPG
    353.9 KB · Views: 3

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Indeed, it looked a lovely town, sadly the timing of buses makes it challenging to get off and spend time there.
That explanation makes good sense, of course Eyemouth is in Scotland and the nearest Scottish town large enough for a college is going to be some way away. Of course when I went the colleges were out for the summer. There were a couple of passengers joined in Eyemouth though and another in Chirnside so the section is definitely used.
A lovely part of the world, please indulge me for a handful more pictures from the area, Berwick not long after dawn, Duns, two from the bus between Duns and Greenlaw, Earlston. Difficult to photograph places from the bus, there's not much you can do about street signs etc in the way of the best shots!

View attachment 119841View attachment 119846View attachment 119843View attachment 119844View attachment 119845
Those are gorgeous photos @RELL6L - @DunsBus is a lucky person to live in such an area. Never done that route from Berwick, having tended to head out through Kelso and that area to Coldstream (which is again beautiful).

Another on the never-ending list of places to visit (whilst we still can)