• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trips travelling on (or seeing) the final remaining EMR HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sm5

Last night was a good send off. The passengers that wanted photographs at the front PC on the 2002 got them ok. They announced 3 minutes before departure to advise those to board, then 2 then 1.

Train was slightly more than half full. Huge amounts of security, but think it was more to do with the impending football crowds.

It wasnt Paddington or Kings Cross in 2019, but definitely a few hundred were onboard for the last ride. StP isnt the best place for a crowd to watch a departure anyway. I dont think mean spirited is the right word, staff were very accommodating and friendly, and the crowds reflect the time we are in.

The main watching point for London looked like West Hampstead Thameslink, the platform was well lined with enthusiasts as went went through.

Several stations enroute had groups of enthusiasts. We went as far as Leicester, last chance of a ride back to London.

Interestingly we saw a few later departures out of STP, were long formed and looked empty, were Leicester city fans driving to Wembley instead ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
So with the EMR HSTs now fully withdrawn, I can imagine there will be upcoming movements to their new fates (i.e. storage or in 43102’s case preservation) - anyone know if any moves have appeared yet, or an indication of when they’ll happen?
There's a move to Ely from Neville Hill tomorrow (Realtime Trains - FRGT 1049 Neville Hill T&R.S.M.D to Ely Mlf Papworth Sidings), which should be two power cars and the remaining four Angel owned trailers. Of the stock leased from Angel that then leaves just one power car at NL and the set at Barrow Hill to be moved. For the five Porterbrook power cars and 11 trailers: can't see any moves planned as yet for them.

43102EMR

Established Member

Established Member
Some photos from last nights trip. Picked up the 1834 from Market Harborough just in case I couldn't get on the 2001 from London. Surprisingly plenty of room available onboard with around 10 or so others in my coach into Nottingham (was sort of expecting it to be around half full). Then got 170110 across to Derby to see the 2142 off to Leeds.
IMG_20210515_192722.jpgIMG_20210515_202039.jpgIMG_20210515_202319.jpgIMG_20210515_213620.jpgIMG_20210515_213819.jpg

WesternLancer

Established Member
Some photos from last nights trip. Picked up the 1834 from Market Harborough just in case I couldn't get on the 2001 from London. Surprisingly plenty of room available onboard with around 10 or so others in my coach into Nottingham (was sort of expecting it to be around half full). Then got 170110 across to Derby to see the 2142 off to Leeds.
View attachment 96410View attachment 96411View attachment 96412View attachment 96413View attachment 96414
Nice to see those pics - a good move plan too to get them both.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Basically I think EMR handled this rather well - isn't this the only real 'fleet send off' of any sort since March 2020 pandemic lock down? Given the difficulties that were rather unknown I think they did a fair job, and staff were very supportive on board in my experience - being good humoured about it all in the most part.

I guess some discretion could have been shown on the night at St P when relatively few people were about, but I suppose management had issued instructions and if there was no one senior about to over turn that - hard to do anything else - in an age of social media the staff at the gateline would be faced with 'proof' they had ignored management instruction and for many that's not an easy call to make is it.

Clearly there was probably room for more people on the final runs, but I don't think EMR actively did anything to put people off going (tho clearly stated a risk that you may not get on if too many people at St P may have put people off - but in fairness to them what could they have done, no real way of knowing how many would show up - and it would probably have been not the 'done thing' to actively encourage numbers on the last day.

So on balance, well done EMR and well done and thank you to all the staff on the HSTs in the run up to the last day. :D

I will miss these trains very much.

BBC story also here

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I reckon had people been allowed to stay in hotels for leisure, the last Leeds service might have had a few more passengers on, who would spend the Saturday night in a hotel in the Leeds area, returning to wherever they came from on the Sunday

Mainline421

I reckon had people been allowed to stay in hotels for leisure, the last Leeds service might have had a few more passengers on, who would spend the Saturday night in a hotel in the Leeds area, returning to wherever they came from on the Sunday
It was still possible. I stayed in an Airbnb and heard others talking about Megabus and Booking.com

WesternLancer

Established Member
It was still possible. I stayed in an Airbnb and heard others talking about Megabus and Booking.com
Yes - just took a bit more careful planning. I looked at Queens Hotel very briefly (straight off train so v convenient) and found it and others near station closed until 17th may on basis that overnight accom was restricted to key worker type needs I think, so dismissed the idea.
Great to hear you went the extra mile tho - good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.