• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: ”Single station” towns with station name suffixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJames

Established Member
Nottingham Midland is still used from time to time though I don't think in any official context?
Not in any official context that I've heard - there's no signage at Nottingham station that says Nottingham Midland and I'm not sure I've actually heard anyone call it that! Before my time I think. But does Derby still have "Derby Midland" on the sign out the front of the station?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Not been Nottingham Midland since 1969 has it?

Nottingham Victoria station closed in 1967 as also did Nottingham London Road (the latter station in 1967 to passengers at least) so Nottingham Midland would have been left as the only principal passenger station in the city, presumably a factor in the station name simplification which occurred relatively soon afterwards.

Jurg

Yep, in Germany too - you'd without doubt have stuff like "Milton Keynes Wolverton" and "London Stratford", and (I certainly know people who wouldn't like this) "Manchester Stockport". Deutsche Bahn typically make it clear on signage that it isn't the Hbf by putting the prefix in a smaller font.
London Stratford might help to make things slightly less confusing for foreign tourists seeking Shakespeare :p

Western Lord

London Stratford might help to make things slightly less confusing for foreign tourists seeking Shakespeare :p
Why? If they don't know that the bard's Stratford is in Warwickshire adding London to the name is not likely to make any difference!

InOban

Established Member
And Alnmouth station isn't in Alnmouth! It's in Hipsburn.

ian1944

An odd one is Edinburgh Waverley. It's often called just Edinburgh or just Waverley, so what the "official" name is is unclear. Just "Edinburgh" invites some confusion with Edinburgh Park, though that's named in full after the trading estate rather than gor the (non-existent) Park district of the city.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur. In Carlisle, Leeds and Hull I refer to Citadel, City and Paragon stations, and in Edinburgh I refer to the North British Hotel rather than to the recent upstart. It's the same principle as walking on old footpaths to keep them open even if they don't go anywhere special, use a name ot it'll get forgotten. The arch example must be Newcastle station, experience suggests that to most inhabitants it's simple "the Central".

RH Liner

Not been Nottingham Midland since 1969 has it?

Nottingham Victoria station closed in 1967 as also did Nottingham London Road (the latter station in 1967 to passengers at least) so Nottingham Midland would have been left as the only principal passenger station in the city, presumably a factor in the station name simplification which occurred relatively soon afterwards.
Nobody refers to Nottingham Midland nowadays, but I have heard it referred to as ‘Midland station’.

mirodo

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interestingly, the Network Rail website calls it that.

So does the front sign!

1_4761c340807144cca2310ef3843164dc.jpg

Leeds station frontage showing "Leeds City Station" signage, from leeds-live.co.uk

bramling

Veteran Member
Carlisle is now just Carlisle - but only a few years ago I heard an elderly guard announce 'we are now on the approach to Citadel station'. Not even Carlisle Citadel - though it probably had been mentioned earlier on

I’ve heard same done at both Glasgow Central and Newcastle - guards announcing we are now arriving at “Central station”. In the case of Newcastle this would have been on a Northern local service, but I’ve heard it several times on Pendolinos when arriving at Glasgow.

So does the front sign!

1_4761c340807144cca2310ef3843164dc.jpg

Leeds station frontage showing "Leeds City Station" signage, from leeds-live.co.uk

In my view that is unhelpful. I’m all for a nod to history and all that, but official signage should be correct, especially at the main entrance. This sort of thing can and does confuse some people.

Derby had “Derby Midland Station”, and quite possibly still does.

also Leamington Spa, Cheltenham Spa and Droitwich Spa. Other spa towns such as Buxton, Harrogate and Tunbridge Wells have never had the suffix.

Was it not the case that Spa was a GWR thing?

Certainly in the case of Bath I’ve never heard anyone refer to the city as anything other than “Bath”.

Having said that, the GNR had a couple of Spa stations - Woodhall Spa for one, Hovingham Spa another.

Last edited:

unlevel42

It's 2022 and Sheffield Midland still exists-officially.
That is if the posters displayed in connection with Sheffield Stockport/Piccadilly engineering closures can be counted as official

oddiesjack

Conversely, even when Buxton still had 2 seperate stations, albeit facing each other either side of a common concourse, neither had a suffix. both stations were just called "Buxton" without any suffixes . Is or was there anywhere else like this?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Conversely, even when Buxton still had 2 seperate stations, albeit facing each other either side of a common concourse, neither had a suffix. both stations were just called "Buxton" without any suffixes . Is or was there anywhere else like this?
London Victoria?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That might have been technically two stations, but practically one, so I don't see an issue there.

Birmingham New St was originally two stations with a road in the middle between them, a bit like Kings Cross and St Pancras now.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Maybe London Bridge?

davetheguard

Established Member
Was it not the case that Spa was a GWR thing?

Certainly in the case of Bath I’ve never heard anyone refer to the city as anything other than “Bath”.

I concur. "Spa" is the name of the station. With Bath Green Park closed in the 1960s, Bath Spa fits this thread admirably.

plugwash

Established Member
Is or was there anywhere else like this?
You certainly see this sort of thing with tram and metro operators. In Eccles and Ashton-Under-Lyne the metrolink stop is a fair distance from the National rail station, but neither has any name prefix or suffix. "Hammersmith" on the Circle/Hammersmith and City is seperated by a road junction from "Hammersmith" on the District/Piccadilly lines.

leytongabriel

Theatre-wise known as Stratord East

Theatre-wise known as Stratord East

Edmonton. We had a Lower Edmonton on the GE suburban lines but there was never an Upper Edmonton which is also a place. Now called Edmonton Green after a rather run-down shopping centre but there's not other Edmonton station.

North Sheen near Richmond in SW London? No other Sheen station

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's closed now, but Clayton West could confuse those unfamiliar with the area. The station wasn't to the west of a village called Clayton, it was in the middle of a village called "Clayton West". There are no other Claytons in the area, East or otherwise.

MadMac

It's closed now, but Clayton West could confuse those unfamiliar with the area. The station wasn't to the west of a village called Clayton, it was in the middle of a village called "Clayton West". There are no other Claytons in the area, East or otherwise.
Not wishing to digress too far, but it's similar to Mosspark West (now just Mosspark), which (arguably) isn't even in Mosspark: there was never another Mosspark station, with or without a suffix of any kind.

vic-rijrode

The way Germany sees it, "London Watford Junction" would not be entirely improbable, even though the City of London is just one square mile.
Regardless of its location within the M25, Watford has never considered itself as a part of London, but is the largest town in Hertfordshire (give or take). If Germany sees "London Watford Junction", then it is surely suffering from myopia.

Although isn’t Royal Leamington Spa the name of the town?
Royal Leamington Spa is the full name of the town - there is (not so far away) the village of Leamington Hastings...

THC

But there is also an East Sheen suburb so the North prefix is required. As an aside, Sheen was the original name for what is now Richmond, the latter name bestowed by Henry VII in 1501 after his castle in Yorkshire.

THC

Status
Not open for further replies.