• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: ”Single station” towns with station name suffixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
What exactly would the 'red tape' be regarding in dropping Central from Rotherham? (Surprised it wasn't considered with the 2010-2012 lick of paint!)

Another odd one is New Pudsey, which is actually in Farsley a mile and a bit out from Pudsey! More like a park and ride station (or park and shop with the nearby Asda superstore!) than being of any use for Pudsey
New Pudsey is a bit of "kidology" to let people think that Pudsey was still served by rail, after they closed the Pudsey loop, which had two Pudsey stations (Lowtown & Greenside), and if I remember correctly, neither was particularly convenient for the town centre.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
More a village than a town, but, Aughton Park.

Town Green is also in Aughton, so while they aren't consistently prefixed there is something to differentiate. It is quite a long thin village which has grown up along the railway and the A59.

Indeed, Town Green was once called "Town Green and Aughton", so that will be why.

Curiously, despite the name there is not, and to my knowledge never has been, a park there.

MattRat

On Moderation
Town Green is also in Aughton, so while they aren't consistently prefixed there is something to differentiate. It is quite a long thin village which has grown up along the railway and the A59.

Indeed, Town Green was once called "Town Green and Aughton", so that will be why.

Curiously, despite the name there is not, and to my knowledge never has been, a park there.
It is a bit confusing. I thought Town Green was a separate village. Surely it wouldn't be AND Aughton, instead it would be IN Aughton.

As for Aughton Park, the only thing around there now is a Cul-de-sac. If there was ever a park, it would have been torn down for housing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is a bit confusing. I thought Town Green was a separate village. Surely it wouldn't be AND Aughton, instead it would be IN Aughton.

It may well have been at some point, if I mentally remove the 1960s/70s housing developments from the map. Not a big gap though.

Before those developments, Aughton will just have been a scattering of houses along the roads with farmland between them rather than a congruous village. My sister's house just up from Aughton Park station is on a row of old farming terraces and was itself formerly a pub (it has an odd layout as a result, it's easy to see where e.g. the bar was). Then towards Christ Church you've got a bit of a mix of big older houses and newer stuff built in their huge gardens, then the vicarage, a row of Victorian terraces and the church.

Similarly there are Victorian terraces around Town Green station, out towards Town Green school, round the back of the station and down towards what is now the village hall (my grandfather used to live in one of them). But not that many - it would have been a very small village, but again somewhat spread out - the local church is St Michael's which is a fair way away, the "Town Green" area doesn't have one and never has had one. You've then got leafy and highly expensive Granville Park which is mostly very old houses.

'Tis an odd place. At the same time one of the posher parts of Lancashire (though not as posh as rural Cheshire) and a de-facto commuter suburb of Liverpool. There are a few places a bit like that though, in terms of being very distributed - Aspley Guise is one, and another is Radnage in south Bucks.

As for Aughton Park, the only thing around there now is a Cul-de-sac. If there was ever a park, it would have been torn down for housing.

There was never a park there that I know of. And I am pretty sure Aughton Park Drive is a 1990s build so is just named after the station.

More on the Aughton tangent.

This map:
...is quite educational.

It seems there was an Aughton Park. The preparatory school (now demolished and replaced by housing) seems to have taken it over as their playing fields. So @MattRat is correct that houses have been built on it, but not in one go!

It also shows Aughton (the bit down by St Michael's Church), Town Green, Aughton Park and Aughton Moss (not a term used any more) being distinct-ish but somewhat sprawling, but all under the banner of Aughton as a district. Very similar to the example I gave above of Radnage, Bucks, which is laid out like that but without any of the 1960s-70s fill-in.

Also interesting that the railway is marked as the "Liverpool, Blackburn and Accrington line".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.