• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - A roads as long as their number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
So far my best one is the A32 at 29 miles long but still 3 miles off. Can you do better?

I don't think it works as well for Motorways and B Roads unless you can give an example.

*A53 is 55 miles long - 2 miles off!!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
So far my best one is the A32 at 29 miles long but still 3 miles off. Can you do better?

I don't think it works as well for Motorways and B Roads unless you can give an example.

*A53 is 55 miles long - 2 miles off!!
There are a couple of motorways which work well - the M27 is 25 miles long, and the M42 is 40 miles long!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
M898 is 0.5 miles long, so possibly not a contender, as it's not an 'A' road! :|

ABB125

Established Member
An interesting topic!

The A32 is 29 miles long; the A53 is 55 miles long; the A60 is 59 miles long; the A63 is 61 miles long; the A64 is 67 miles long.

If I may bend the rules slightly, the A50 is pretty much 100 miles long (ie: twice its number)

Data taken from here.

M898 is 0.5 miles long, so possibly not a contender, as it's not an 'A' road! :|
The M96 is even shorter at 0.17 miles.

Never heard of the M96? Neither had I! It's an old airfield runway in Moreton-in-Marsh....

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The A15 from Hull to Barnetby is about 15 miles I'd guess. The rest of the A15 is not connected to it, so it's like a seperate road.

Mikey C

Established Member
The A205 South Circular isn't 205 miles long. But it feels that long when you drive it :E

For Motorways, according to Wikipedia the M27 is 27.9 miles long!

ABB125

Established Member
For Motorways, according to Wikipedia the M27 is 27.9 miles long!
Though really the A27 between the M27 and A3(M) should be classified as a motorway - to all intents and purposes, it is (it even has a hard shoulder (mostly!)!). I have no idea why it was built as an all-purpose road - motorwaying it would add about two miles to the M27.

Of course, the sensible thing to do would be to extend the A3(M) over the A27 thence M275, so that the A3(M) continues into Portsmouth. Though this would potentially cause a few issues about what to call the really short M275 spur north of the M27.

With apologies for following the blue triangle topic diversion signs! :D

Gathursty

Established Member
Though really the A27 between the M27 and A3(M) should be classified as a motorway - to all intents and purposes, it is (it even has a hard shoulder (mostly!)!). I have no idea why it was built as an all-purpose road - motorwaying it would add about two miles to the M27.

Of course, the sensible thing to do would be to extend the A3(M) over the A27 thence M275, so that the A3(M) continues into Portsmouth. Though this would potentially cause a few issues about what to call the really short M275 spur north of the M27.

With apologies for following the blue triangle topic diversion signs! :D
This is now a SABRE thread.

I imagine the only time Rail Forums and SABRE crosses over is when the A road has to use the Kyle line near Stromeferry.

ABB125

Established Member
:D

I could've mentioned how the A3(M) is actually the wrong side of the A3 so should actually be numbered as A2999999999999(M)........ :D:D

(If you can't tell, I really couldn't care less is a road is iN tHe WrOnG zOnE!)
I imagine the only time Rail Forums and SABRE crosses over is when the A road has to use the Kyle line near Stromeferry.
Quite possibly - though would the rather long level crossing on the Welsh Highland Railway at Porthmaddog count?

Mikey C

Established Member

There was definitely a crossover between the 2 forums when discussing EWR and the part cancelled Oxford to Cambridge Expressway!

Peter0124

Established Member
Scotland's roads would need to be the longest to fit this Trivia as they are numbered from 7-9 and not 1-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.