• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Adjacent stations starting with adjacent letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
The Airdrie to Bathgate line has four stations beginning with consecutive letters of the alphabet in a row, these being Armadale, Blackridge, Caldercruix and Drumgelloch.

Is this unique? Can it be beaten? I've not noticed it anywhere else. If you have, let me know. :) Give me your alphabetical lists.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alex27

Interesting, I found another 4: Barry Docks, Cadoxton, Dinas Powys, Eastbrook

Journeyman

Established Member
Interesting, I found another 4: Barry Docks, Cadoxton, Dinas Powys, Eastbrook

Well done! Wonder if we can get 5 or more?

There's loads of pairs. Just found a 3 - Richmond, St. Margarets, Twickenham.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Lee, Mottingham, New Eltham (3) [Sidcup] Albany Park, Bexley, Crayford, Dartford (4)

alangla

The Airdrie to Bathgate line has four stations beginning with consecutive letters of the alphabet in a row, these being Armadale, Blackridge, Caldercruix and Drumgelloch.

Is this unique? Can it be beaten? I've not noticed it anywhere else. If you have, let me know. :) Give me your alphabetical lists.
Not what you asked for, but at the other end of the route you typically call at 4 Ds, then 2 Cs : Dalmuir, Dumbarton East, Dumbarton Central, Dalreoch, Cardross, Craigendoran.
The alternative is just DRAB. Dalreoch, Renton, Alexandria, Balloch.

Bigman

Not been active on here for year, so I am a bit rusty. I would like to throw in 5 consecutive stations that start with the same letter, and but for a closure would have been 6. Mills Hill, Moston, (Miles Platting), Manchester Victoria, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Piccadilly.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Not been active on here for year, so I am a bit rusty. I would like to throw in 5 consecutive stations that start with the same letter, and but for a closure would have been 6. Mills Hill, Moston, (Miles Platting), Manchester Victoria, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Piccadilly.
And you could theoretically run a service that calls at those, Mauldeth Road then Manchester Airport, though that's probably becoming a little tenuous to count now.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Only 2s from me: Chesterfield - Dronfield, Accrington - Blackburn, Accrington - Burnley Manchester Road, Bingley - Crossflatts, Adwick - Bentley (next stop Doncaster - close!), Rotherham Central - Swinton.

scrapy

Established Member
You would have to pass through Deansgate though.

Veteran Member
An example using the same letter AND with a regular service was out of Waterloo (spoilt in the mid 60s by a renaming):
Walton, Weybridge, West Weybridge, West Byfleet, Woking, Worplesdon

ANDREW_D_WEBB

3 - Ravenscourt Park, Stamford Brook, Turnham Green. Plenty of 2 examples on the Tube
2 - Bath Spa - Chippenham

Pre Covid it was possible to sit on a single train and go through 10 consecutive stations beginning with H:
Hounslow East - Hounslow Central - Hounslow West - Hatton Cross - Heathrow Terminal 4 - Heathrow Terminals 2+3 - Hatton Cross - Hounslow West - Hounslow Central - Hounslow East.

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
Chester-le-Street, Durham

Adderley Park, Birmingham New Street

Tutbury, Uttoxeter

Kidsgrove, Longport

xotGD

Established Member
Bingley, Crossflatts

Stockton, Thornaby

Gargrave, Hellifield

Carlisle, Dalston

Established Member
Not quite what is being asked for, but there are three consecutive stations on the Wirral Line which begin with M and are in alphabetical order (Manor Road, Meols and Moreton) when travelling from West Kirby.

Another two similar to the above which I've just thought of:

When travelling towards Wigan from Manchester Victoria. Salford Central, Salford Crescent and Swinton.
When travelling towards Saltburn from Middlesbrough: Redcar British Steel, Redcar Central and Redcar East.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Kirkstall Forge, Leeds
Berwick, Chathill - that is a strange one in that you can't actually make the journey these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.