• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Alliterative Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbophile

Established Member
I'd disregard spelling: it's the sound that counts. Hence Caerdydd Canolog counts but Cardiff Central doesn't. While names like Bat and Ball are allowable because the initial consonants of both stressed words are the same.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
We had West Wickham already I think. I just love being a spoilsport!
Salford Central?

Rectory Road!

Hemel Hempstead... actually surprised if nobody has got that one already.

Also do suffixes count?eg. Layton (Lancs)?

Last edited:

uvarvu

Seven Sisters
Barnes Bridge
Hampstead Heath
Martin Mill
Morfa Mawddach
Watford West

Last edited:

urbophile

Established Member
I initially thought so too but the dictionary definition of alliterative would seem to suggest otherwise.
Depends which dictionary. The Penguin English Dictionary says "The repetition of initial consonant sounds in neighbouring words or syllables" [my italics].

Tomos y Tanc

Stretching the point, a lot of Welsh stations are alliterative if you include the Welsh and English versions of the name. Trerorci Treorchy and Caerffili Caerphilly are two examples.

I've always had a soft spot for Barri Barry which appears on road signs as it sounds like an exotic tropical disease. On railway signage though the more correct "Y Barri" form is used in Welsh.

rf_ioliver

As @backontrack has just pointed out, alliteration can also mean the repetition of the same letter as well as the same sound.

But even if Cardiff Central is disallowed, then how about... Caerdydd Canolog? ;)

That would work...in Welsh we have "cynghanedd" which is the basic concept of sound-arrangement within one line, using stress, alliteration and rhyme, but I can't think of too many stations off hand that would fit the definition well.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Herne Hill -- but perhaps that's disqualified by local pronunciation: ern'ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.