• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Buses named after food and drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
After the previous thread on buses being named after birds and animals, thought I'd add some more lightheartedness in these straitened times. First are introducing the Strawberry Line (or something similar) to the Wells - Weston service. The Big Lemon in Brighton as an obvious one, but also Cherry Coaches in East Yorkshire (back in the day).

Can be firms, services/brands, or vehicles. Fill ya boots!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pat1105

After the previous thread on buses being named after birds and animals, thought I'd add some more lightheartedness in these straitened times. First are introducing the Strawberry Line (or something similar) to the Wells - Weston service. The Big Lemon in Brighton as an obvious one, but also Cherry Coaches in East Yorkshire (back in the day).

Can be firms, services/brands, or vehicles. Fill ya boots!
First Aberdeen had the Salmon Line (although referring to the colour) which was route 14 at one point, then changed to 15. Could you count Applebys of Brigg? After all, it still has apple in it!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
There was a bus company in St Helens called Strawberry.
Seem to remember them in Ormskirk??

Go North East have had a couple in the past. The Lime ran from Consett to Sunderland (now the Coast and Country - yawn) and around deregulation, Go Ahead Northern had the Big Orange (again not truly a fruit reference but the livery using up stocks of PTE yellow and NBC red)

Established Member
Seem to remember them in Ormskirk??

Go North East have had a couple in the past. The Lime ran from Consett to Sunderland (now the Coast and Country - yawn) and around deregulation, Go Ahead Northern had the Big Orange (again not truly a fruit reference but the livery using up stocks of PTE yellow and NBC red)

Yeah, they operated the 319.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A company named after food that takes Oyster should trump them all!

RustySpoons

tbtc

Veteran Member
First Aberdeen had the Salmon Line (although referring to the colour)

I think we had "olive" and "orange" lines in Yorkshire (if I can continue in a similar vein)!

Certainly a few liveries that were described as "claret and custard" or "poppy red" - I think the people who paint buses must always have been hungry with such names

I'm kicking myself, going through the various minibus brands of the late '80s/ early '90s - I was sure that there was at least one themed around sweeties (i.e. small, colourful) but have drawn a blank thus far.

(I'm sure "Yorkshire Terrier" may be a delicacy in some cuisines, where canines form part of the diet though the Sheffield version was just an independent company purchased by Yorkshire Traction)

Megafuss

How about a Drifter by GNE. Not my favourite bar of chocolate. I prefer a Mars (The old Bedford to Boggleswade service)

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Cranberry Coachways, Accrington
https://cranberrycoachways.co.uk/

Courtney Buses of Bracknell named a couple of their competing commercial routes against First Berkshire. The 171/2 circulars were ‘Lemon & Lime’, operated by yellow Solos with green skirts. The 194 became ‘Lemon & Peach’, with yellow and orange Solos. The various Wokingham area tendered routes became ‘Coffee & Cream’, operated by a mix of vehicles painted beige with brown skirts. Two deckers on the less successful commercial 189 competing school in-fill service even gained ‘Mocha’ and ‘Espresso’ names, with a Solo carrying ‘Latte’. Another scheme used on the Reading services was ‘Coffee & Mint’, worn by a couple of Versa Hybrids painted light green with brown skirts and named ‘Humbug’ and ‘Imperial’.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Cranberry Coachways, Accrington
https://cranberrycoachways.co.uk/

Courtney Buses of Bracknell named a couple of their competing commercial routes against First Berkshire. The 171/2 circulars were ‘Lemon & Lime’, operated by yellow Solos with green skirts. The 194 became ‘Lemon & Peach’, with yellow and orange Solos. The various Wokingham area tendered routes became ‘Coffee & Cream’, operated by a mix of vehicles painted beige with brown skirts. Two deckers on the less successful commercial 189 competing school in-fill service even gained ‘Mocha’ and ‘Espresso’ names, with a Solo carrying ‘Latte’. Another scheme used on the Reading services was ‘Coffee & Mint’, worn by a couple of Versa Hybrids painted light green with brown skirts and named ‘Humbug’ and ‘Imperial’.

There's the Reading Bus 'Claret Spritzer'..
Was wondering if we were going to get any beverages.....
I think we had "olive" and "orange" lines in Yorkshire (if I can continue in a similar vein)!
Yep, they're permissable
How about a Drifter by GNE. Not my favourite bar of chocolate. I prefer a Mars (The old Bedford to Boggleswade service)

Very good!

Bungle158

Not that l know anything about buses, but would the Orange, Lime, and Berry routes in Reading count? Stretching a point, perhaps the Lion (chocolate bar) route would also scrape in

Megafuss

How about the old Newcastle Busways Blue Riband branded services with actual Blue Ribands handed out in the first week of operation.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not that l know anything about buses, but would the Orange, Lime, and Berry routes in Reading count? Stretching a point, perhaps the Lion (chocolate bar) route would also scrape in

Yeah they'd count - surprised that no one has mentioned the similar routes that were in the Potteries - D&G had the Plum Line and the Orange One whilst First had Lime and Cherry lines

How about the old Newcastle Busways Blue Riband branded services with actual Blue Ribands handed out in the first week of operation.
Another great reference! <:D

Bungle158

The Tinner service in Cornwall. Also the name of a St Austell Brewery bitter.And of course any Double Decker. I'll get my coat...

Last edited:

AJM580

The Orange Line also runs in Norwich (routes 21/22) run by First Bus. Double-Deckers are often seen on this

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Starting with Go, we have/had the Lime, the Drifter and the Orbit (chewing gum is a food, right?) Not to mention the Prince Bishop, a rather nice pint from the Big Lamp brewery in Newburn.

First have the orange line and the lime line (and many years after the Overground concept wheeled its last, WY Metro still advertise the 576 Bradford-Halifax using that name).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I was rather hoping there'd be a sCRABster Bus Co., but apparently not.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Starting with Go, we have/had the Lime, the Drifter and the Orbit (chewing gum is a food, right?) Not to mention the Prince Bishop, a rather nice pint from the Big Lamp brewery in Newburn.

First have the orange line and the lime line (and many years after the Overground concept wheeled its last, WY Metro still advertise the 576 Bradford-Halifax using that name).
Isn’t the 503 Halifax to Huddersfield called ZEST?

Status
Not open for further replies.